Robbie "College Jokic" Avila

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,326

Robbie "College Jokic" Avila 

Post#1 » by amcoolio » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:46 pm

I think with his recent performances this guy has actually played himself into NBA draft contention.

Yes, he is very unathletic, slow footed and will need a ton of work on defense. But his footwork in the post and passing at a guy his size is elite for the NBA level and he's a decent shooter. Obviously models his game after Jokic.

Some team should take a chance on him and see what a few years in the NBA training room can do.

I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,458

Re: Robbie "College Jokic" Avila 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:31 am

He needs another year in school and improving his body. As-is, I think he is certainly skilled enough to be an NBA player, but not athletic enough. If he can be passable as a center athletically (think Daniel Theis level) I'd like him, but he has to demonstrate to teams that he can improve his body, IMO.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,097

Post#3 » by shangrila » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:34 am

He'll be interesting to watch for the rest of the college season, including hopefully the tournament.

For the NBA he'll need to measure 6-10 at absolute minimum and hopefully closer to 6-11 or even 7-0. Anything below that, with his physical tools, will be a death sentence.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,903

Post#4 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:56 am

Cmon guys this dude is not athletic at all. He wouldn't survive at the NBA level.

It's disrespectful to NBA players to actually think this kid can have a impact at the next level.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,524

Post#5 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:20 am

It's the Missouri Valley, so you know he's probably 6'8. Nope. Like Cam Krutwig, he can have a nice career playing basketball overseas.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:54 am

Chuck Everett wrote:It's the Missouri Valley, so you know he's probably 6'8. Nope. Like Cam Krutwig, he can have a nice career playing basketball overseas.

He's way better than Krutwig. If he is really 6-10 his path is getting in much better shape, and then an NBA team is hoping he is something like Sengun. Now, he's quite far from Sengun athletically right now, and I'm not sure he can be a functional NBA athlete, but if he can get even close I'd easily take a flier in the late first. All huge ifs.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,549

Post#7 » by BigGargamel » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:13 am

Absolutely zero chance he gets an NBA sniff LOL. Come on guys. There are three or four guys like this playing at mid major schools putting up numbers every year. You all know better.

Fun college player but that's it.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:46 am

BigGargamel wrote:Absolutely zero chance he gets an NBA sniff LOL. Come on guys. There are three or four guys like this playing at mid major schools putting up numbers every year. You all know better.

Fun college player but that's it.

Playing like what? Displaying elite vision and playmaking at his size?

I doubt there are 3-4 players like that.

There is typically 1-2 per year, but most of them are older than Avila.

I agree it's a long shot he makes it to the NBA, but he shows a lot more NBA Caliber skills than Luka Garza (Plays in the NBA) and Zach Edey (Projects as a late 1st).

Avila is a very good shooter and passer. Both of those skills transfer exceptionally well to the NBA, especially at his size.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#9 » by Colbinii » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:49 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:It's the Missouri Valley, so you know he's probably 6'8. Nope. Like Cam Krutwig, he can have a nice career playing basketball overseas.

He's way better than Krutwig. If he is really 6-10 his path is getting in much better shape, and then an NBA team is hoping he is something like Sengun. Now, he's quite far from Sengun athletically right now, and I'm not sure he can be a functional NBA athlete, but if he can get even close I'd easily take a flier in the late first. All huge ifs.

Not comparable to Sengun. Sengun was essentially a DPOY caliber defender in the Mena Professional League in Turkey, which is why I was so high on Sengun. Sengun was averaging nearly 1.5 Steals/1.5 Blocks as a 17/18 year old in a professional league. That's incredible and way beyond what Avila has shown on that end.

I don't think Avila is 6'8". He looks huge.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:08 am

Colbinii wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Not comparable to Sengun. Sengun was essentially a DPOY caliber defender in the Mena Professional League in Turkey, which is why I was so high on Sengun. Sengun was averaging nearly 1.5 Steals/1.5 Blocks as a 17/18 year old in a professional league. That's incredible and way beyond what Avila has shown on that end.

Do you not think his path to success is as an offensive hub a la Sengun? It's pretty obvious Avila's defensive upside is really poor but I think that Avila's style of passing resembles Sengun much more than it does say, Jokic, as does his footwork and ability to operate on the high or low post. Idk, I think my meaning was pretty obvious when I said his athletecism is extremely poor. If he can transform his body his path to being a passable defender is also to emulate Sengun - not much rim protection but smart positioning and good hands (though his upside is not an impactful defender, and Sengun is).

Comparisons are never one to one, but the idea that he is 'nothing like Sengun' is wrong, IMO. As an offensive player they share quite a few traits. Obviously Avila is a better shooter and Sengun is better at...right now, everything else on that end, but Avila's path to NBA success is replicating that offensive role. I'm not super confident he can because his athletecism and conditioning are so poor *relative to NBA standards.*

JColl
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#11 » by Colbinii » Sun Mar 3, 2024 2:21 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:He's way better than Krutwig. If he is really 6-10 his path is getting in much better shape, and then an NBA team is hoping he is something like Sengun. Now, he's quite far from Sengun athletically right now, and I'm not sure he can be a functional NBA athlete, but if he can get even close I'd easily take a flier in the late first. All huge ifs.

Do you not think his path to success is as an offensive hub a la Sengun? It's pretty obvious Avila's defensive upside is really poor but I think that Avila's style of passing resembles Sengun much more than it does say, Jokic, as does his footwork and ability to operate on the high or low post. Idk, I think my meaning was pretty obvious when I said his athletecism is extremely poor. If he can transform his body his path to being a passable defender is also to emulate Sengun - not much rim protection but smart positioning and good hands (though his upside is not an impactful defender, and Sengun is).

Comparisons are never one to one, but the idea that he is 'nothing like Sengun' is wrong, IMO. As an offensive player they share quite a few traits. Obviously Avila is a better shooter and Sengun is better at...right now, everything else on that end, but Avila's path to NBA success is replicating that offensive role. I'm not super confident he can because his athletecism and conditioning are so poor *relative to NBA standards.*

Jokic is so large and so smart that he is always 1 step ahead of the opposition, so he utilizes his size to get into positions to be successful. He then uses his size to disrupt the offense in a way where he doesn't sacrifice his size to rebound and/or protect the rim. It's similar to Shaq in the sense that they had weaknesses but they aren't as easy to exploit as they would appear on paper [though I think Shaq would be even worse defending in space than Joker, especially 2000-2004 Shaq].

Sengun is much smaller than Jokic but still has a length/size advantage on Avila. Sengun utilizes his size in a way more similar to Jokic than a complete defensive sieve.

If these guys were Luka Garza level defenders, they would be much worse off, and I am afraid that is where Avila currently lies on the spectrum. Time will tell if he can improve on that front with better conditioning, but his reaction time and quick-decision making, combined with his patience to see players open up, is a bright spot few players possess in a single draft.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 2:31 am

Colbinii wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Jokic is so large and so smart that he is always 1 step ahead of the opposition, so he utilizes his size to get into positions to be successful. He then uses his size to disrupt the offense in a way where he doesn't sacrifice his size to rebound and/or protect the rim. It's similar to Shaq in the sense that they had weaknesses but they aren't as easy to exploit as they would appear on paper [though I think Shaq would be even worse defending in space than Joker, especially 2000-2004 Shaq].

Sengun is much smaller than Jokic but still has a length/size advantage on Avila. Sengun utilizes his size in a way more similar to Jokic than a complete defensive sieve.

If these guys were Luka Garza level defenders, they would be much worse off, and I am afraid that is where Avila currently lies on the spectrum. Time will tell if he can improve on that front with better conditioning, but his reaction time and quick-decision making, combined with his patience to see players open up, is a bright spot few players possess in a single draft.

I completely agree.

JColl
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,345

Post#13 » by SNPA » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:40 am

Need height and agility numbers to make any type of determination.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#14 » by Big J » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:00 am

Come on guys. He’s simply not an NBA level athlete. Best case scenario for him is play a few years in Europe then open a bar in French Lick.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,326

Post#15 » by amcoolio » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:12 pm

Big J wrote:Come on guys. He’s simply not an NBA level athlete. Best case scenario for him is play a few years in Europe then open a bar in French Lick.

When has "not an NBA level athlete" stopped players before from being drafted. I get the NBA now is a different time but look at all the tall or fat stiffs that have been drafted over the last 30 years. I mean Jake freaking Voskuhl got drafted. This guy has the same build as Marc Gasol at the same age (albeit a little shorter)
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Post#16 » by eminence » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:00 am

Looks like he can play.

Would want to see measurements, but he looks more athletic than the vibe in this thread paints him as. His footspeed isn't good by any means, but I don't think it's outlier bad either. No vertical pop. Strength toughest to judge in prospects imo.
I bought a boat.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#17 » by Big J » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:27 am

amcoolio wrote:
Big J wrote:Come on guys. He’s simply not an NBA level athlete. Best case scenario for him is play a few years in Europe then open a bar in French Lick.

When has "not an NBA level athlete" stopped players before from being drafted. I get the NBA now is a different time but look at all the tall or fat stiffs that have been drafted over the last 30 years. I mean Jake freaking Voskuhl got drafted. This guy has the same build as Marc Gasol at the same age (albeit a little shorter)

Jake Voskuhl was miles ahead of this kid defensively.
Blaze the Nugz
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#18 » by Blaze the Nugz » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:18 am

Change the title of this thread to Robbie "Cream Abdul Jabbar" Avila
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Post#19 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:11 am

Blaze the Nugz wrote:Change the title of this thread to Robbie "Cream Abdul Jabbar" Avila

Larry Blurred
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,519

Post#20 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:12 pm

It's crazy there's actually a thread for this guy lol. He's a fat, out of shape big. He does have great hands but if a guy like Tubelis can't sniff the league there's 0 chance this dude can.

Return to NBA Draft