Harangody

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Harangody 

Post#1 » by randomhero423 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:58 am

What everybody think he'll end up being in the NBA? I think he can actually end up being a very very solid nba player. a rich man's david lee is my prediction
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Re: Harangody 

Post#2 » by jman3134 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:33 am

randomhero423 wrote:What everybody think he'll end up being in the NBA? I think he can actually end up being a very very solid nba player. a rich man's david lee is my prediction

I really love Harangody and Jon Brockman type players. They are hard nosed guys who are dominant on the glass and solid from the perimeter. Personally, I think that he may not get a legitamite shot by the NBA purely because he is somewhat undersized and a bit sluggish in terms of foot speed. His shot is a serious asset and he really can bang on the glass. Yes, I think he will be in the league a long time. But, I really have no idea what kind of role he will have.
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#3 » by randomhero423 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:39 am

as a STJ fan i'm horrified to think of the game he will have vs us.
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by jman3134 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:31 am

Yes, if he can dominate West Virginia in the manner that he did, he should not have a problem with St. John's. How do you think your team will fair this year? I can't wait until your program is finally rebuilt. (when Patterson and others don't leave to play D2 ball)

As for the David Lee comparison, I think that Lee is much more athletic and I think he has a height advantage. I don't see either Brockman (who I should mention is pretty quick) and Harangody in that same mold. I mean I know that Brockman can dunk and leap, but I think that Lee is taller and on a different level athletically.

I view Harangody in the mold of the Diogu's and others with a perimeter shot and a dominant inside presence. (except I feel that he may be a bit more mobile in the open floor compared to the college Diogu)
sox839
Senior

harangody 

Post#5 » by sox839 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:46 am

This guy is a good player. I've watched him play twice this year so far against kansas state and west virginia. Against kanas state he id very good against beasley and against west virginia he was dominant. Tonight against Uconn is a big test which ithink he will pass. Seeing this guy play he is a op 5 player in the big east. I think he'll be a producive nba player. Notre dame always produces guys pat garrity, troy murphy,laphonso ellis. He reminds me a little bit of ellis.
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#6 » by randomhero423 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:13 am

how is he undersized when he's 6'8? 6'8 is fine.

to jman: STJ will be inconsistent. they have 8 freshman on the team. remember the names: Rob Thomas, Justin Burrell, DJ Kennedy. those 3 guys have potential to be all big east first team. our defense is very solid but our offense is not good. our PG (and our only senior) is terrible. i think we are going to finish a few games under .500 and win around 4-6 games in the big east. but next year we should be better (although norm has struck out on EVERY recruit). Anthony mason jr looks to be offically breaking out this year also.
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:20 am

6'8 is undersized for an NBA power forward. This was particularly evident tonight against UConn. Thabeet pretty much shut Harangody down and forced him to take quick shots. It's difficult when you are up against a guy six inches taller than you. The disparity may not be as great, but the athleticism etc. will be there at the next level. This could cause him problems.

How is Burrell? I briefly turned on the game today against Depaul and saw him shoot a three point shot. Is he a 6'8 small forward prospect? I think Mason Jr. should see some looks from NBA scouts. I am wondering if Burrell is in a similar mold.
sox839
Senior

harangody 

Post#8 » by sox839 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:49 am

Watched the game this guy is a player it tellsyousomething when a guy has a poor shooting gamelike he had and stillgets a double double. He probably never played anyone that big plus teams are going to zero in on him he willmake adjustments. He will be a solid rotation nba player. Notre damehas a good team this year they couldgofar in the tourney
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#9 » by randomhero423 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:03 am

jman3134 wrote:6'8 is undersized for an NBA power forward. This was particularly evident tonight against UConn. Thabeet pretty much shut Harangody down and forced him to take quick shots. It's difficult when you are up against a guy six inches taller than you. The disparity may not be as great, but the athleticism etc. will be there at the next level. This could cause him problems.

How is Burrell? I briefly turned on the game today against Depaul and saw him shoot a three point shot. Is he a 6'8 small forward prospect? I think Mason Jr. should see some looks from NBA scouts. I am wondering if Burrell is in a similar mold.

some guys who are 6'8-'9 are: carlos boozer, paul milsap, eltan brand, antwan jamison, david west. i think aslong as you got work ethic and the skills you can be fine in the league. no matter what size (unless you are REALLY under sized. like a 6'4 pf)

burrell is a PF. he reminds me a lot of kenyon martin. his defense is ok. he's got a average (but developing) mid-range game, his post offense is pretty solid. his rebounding is average. he needs more touches though. but i honestly believe in a few years he can be a legit first rounder easily. (we faced cincy btw)
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
VictorPage44
Senior

Post#10 » by VictorPage44 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:10 pm

thabeet should take harangody back to africa with him as his tanzanian biotch after last night. i think thabeet blocked him alone like seven times. and harangody was able to get a double double... on 5-23 from the center position. :o

harangody got dominated last night by hasheem thabeet. granted hasheem is a great talent who probably will wind up in the top five of the draft despite inconsistancy just because of the presence such an athletic 7'3 player can have defensively. hasheem is one of my favorite players and he showed last night how he can just shut down lesser opponents.

lets not pretend that harangody was even competitive against uconn. thabeet eliminated him from the game. if anything, harangody hurt the team badly (and showed how unpolished he really is) by stubbornly continueing to go at thabeet, and get his shots swatted repeatedly. he doesnt jump or make any athletic moves towards the basket so guys with the height advantage will own him like thabeet did if they can withstand harangody's headfirst, all power, style, so for now lets forget about the NBA for luke.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 797

Post#11 » by treefi » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:39 pm

I don't know anything about him as a player but to give up on his NBA potential as a 4 because he got dominated by 7'3 athletic freak of nature center doesn't seem fair at all..
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#12 » by hcsilla » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:48 pm

jman3134 wrote:As for the David Lee comparison, I think that Lee is much more athletic and I think he has a height advantage. I don't see either Brockman (who I should mention is pretty quick) and Harangody in that same mold. I mean I know that Brockman can dunk and leap, but I think that Lee is taller and on a different level athletically.

I view Harangody in the mold of the Diogu's and others with a perimeter shot and a dominant inside presence. (except I feel that he may be a bit more mobile in the open floor compared to the college Diogu)

I agree with the Lee-part but Ike Diogu is much more athletic than Harangody will ever be. Harangody is a great college player but his limit is Craig Smith with less bulk and passing, IMO.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:40 am

Yes, he doesn't have comparable athleticism to Diogu. I was making the comparison and the basis of a space filler. Although Lee and Harangody are both white, Lee is far superior athletically, and Lee is more of a slim big man as opposed to Diogu who relies on his bulk inside. Sure, Diogu is skills oriented as well, but Lee is just a different breed of player and that's what I was getting at.
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#14 » by randomhero423 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:58 am

i dunno. when i watch harangody and lee. the simliarities i see are that they are both relentless and rebound very well. harangody does the intangibles lee does. and both are those scrappy guys a championship team needs. harangody actually has a existent mid-range game, that lee doesn't.
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#15 » by GYBE » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:06 pm

VictorPage44 wrote:thabeet should take harangody back to africa with him as his tanzanian biotch after last night. i think thabeet blocked him alone like seven times. and harangody was able to get a double double... on 5-23 from the center position. :o

harangody got dominated last night by hasheem thabeet. granted hasheem is a great talent who probably will wind up in the top five of the draft despite inconsistancy just because of the presence such an athletic 7'3 player can have defensively. hasheem is one of my favorite players and he showed last night how he can just shut down lesser opponents.

lets not pretend that harangody was even competitive against uconn. thabeet eliminated him from the game. if anything, harangody hurt the team badly (and showed how unpolished he really is) by stubbornly continueing to go at thabeet, and get his shots swatted repeatedly. he doesnt jump or make any athletic moves towards the basket so guys with the height advantage will own him like thabeet did if they can withstand harangody's headfirst, all power, style, so for now lets forget about the NBA for luke.

Thabeet was allowed to do whatever he wanted against Luke and the refs just watched.

Watch the game again. On almost every single shot, Thabeet has one hand in the air and one hand on Luke. He pushes on his man's shoulder to get leverage for the block. As if a 7'3 guy needs any more help against a 6'8 player. How he was allowed to do this all night is beyond me, but I watched the game twice and kept seeing the same thing. Not only should it be a foul, but it's pretty dangerous for the offensive player.

Anyways, Luke's still got time to grow. But as far as comparisons, what about Glen Davis? Big bodied guys with little athleticism, but crash the boards hard, have good touch around the basket and a solid mid-range shot.

8)
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,215

Post#16 » by UGA Hayes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:58 pm

Is he any good at defense?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by jman3134 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:38 am

UGA Hayes wrote:Is he any good at defense?

Not exactly a wizard, but he can body up with the best of them. I think he's a bit foul prone especially when he is matched up against bigger, more athletic players. Still, much of his hype comes from his offensive game.
Turisas
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 39

Post#18 » by Turisas » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:40 am

Anyone know what his wingspan is?
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#19 » by hcsilla » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:40 am

Glen Davis is a solid comparison although he was a bit more mobile and more of a jumpshooter than Harangody.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#20 » by GYBE » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:11 pm

Harangody bounced back from the Georgetown game with a strong showing at Marquette.

29 points (10-17 from the field, 9-11 from the line), 14 rebounds (7 offensive) and 3 blocks.

He had 6 turnovers as well, but that's because Marquette swarmed him every time he touched the ball since every other Irish player forgot to show up in a 92-66 beatdown.

It's early, but if Luke keeps this up he's going to be getting serious consideration for Big East Player of the Year.

8)

Return to NBA Draft