SPURS 2024 TRADE THREAD - FEBRUARY DEADLINE EDITION

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,371

SPURS 2024 TRADE THREAD - FEBRUARY DEADLINE EDITION 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:57 pm

Best to keep the rumours, suggestions, and reports in one space.

We've already heard that Doug and Cedi are being made available, now this:

Read on Twitter

EDIT to add: Moving this earlier comment from another thread here:

Really like both guys and appreciate their time with us. Still somehow hope we can keep Cedi but it doesn't look likely. Hope if we move on from them they land in great spots.

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: SPURS 2024 TRADE THREAD - FEBRUARY DEADLINE EDITION 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:32 pm

Well our name keeps being mentioned in Murray rumours.

Read on Twitter

And yes we have the assets both in picks and contracts to make this done. But the question of why we should lingers. If it didn't, the deal would likely be done already.

Beyond the timeline and Murray being close to 30 by the time we're competing (well, sooner hopefully but let's say another 2 years).

There's plenty to recap:

- Pop is like a father to me Murray said while here

- after all the good feels in getting back to playing post injury, Murray deleted all the photos of him and Pop on IG because was moved to the bench in favour of Derrick (more on him in a bit) who had better feel with the starters having been with them all previous season. Eight games. That's all it took for the passive aggressive BS public signals. Why not outplay a guy to prove you can lead the starting group? Nope. He took like e demotion and sulked.

- publicly argued with Pop on the court and needed to be separated by Demar

- chose to barely shoot in second halves after blowing the chuck box in the first, then in post game interview saying ask coaching staff about why he barely scored. Dude, you're a PG. Balance it with passing more than using guys as your platform.

- post trade said Pop manipulated him, said our FO (9f which Pop is head) doesn't know what it's doing and would be losing for the next 15 years

- had a spate of weird behaviour demeaning opponents who were clearly not at his level to begin with in summer play

- called Derrick a yes man for doing whatever Pop asked of him (how's that working out for Derrick now? :wink: )

- in one their first games against one another, Murray scored on Derrick in the left corner who fell while trying to contest the shot. Murray turned around and pointed at him.

- once again recently blacked out his current team off social media

- looked off his coach and best player team mate in calling his own number and taking the game winning shot. Turning to the crowd, not teammates, was the first thing I noticed.

- now back to tugging at heartstrings with the Pop is like a father comments and he'd welcome a trade back to the Spurs

Look he's not an evil guy. But he is a fundamentally me-first guy. We know this. Over and over the handling of situations in an immature, passive aggressive way remains consistent.

I'd sooner bring back Bala Patty if part of the appeal is having a guy who knows our system. Plus he exemifies our team first culture.

Hard no to Murray. He wanted out because he 'worked to hard to lose' lol and now wants to ride Wemby's coattails. Don't want him or his agency anywhere near Wemby. We know why we moved on. He's still that same me-first, emotionally unpredictable guy. Let's stay moved on and look elsewhere. Make no mistake: this would benefit Murray most, not us, and would short circuit some long term culture and building the right way with the right blocks around Wemby.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:00 pm

When DJM's name was mentioned as a rumor back to the Spurs, that was like a "huh" moment for me. Given how things slowly unraveled while he was a Spur. Then doing some questionable behavioral things like you mention with the Paolo summer league issue. Some of those issues are consider red flags. That said, I do not see him returning to the Spurs at anytime. Granted the Spurs are in need of a PG, I'm not even sure if Trae Young himself could be the answer for the Spurs. Yes, him and Wemby could make for a good P&R type of dynamic. I wonder how will he take to the idea of going to a rebuilding team in comparisons to a mediocre team in the Hawks. Plus this guy also had a hand in getting his previous two coaches out from the team. Albeit more factors were in play during the respective coaches eras.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,284

Post#4 » by imagump1313 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 7:54 pm

Detroit is blowing it up. This draft at the top is pretty weak. I wonder if they would be dumb enough to take our lottery pick and whetever player they want on our roster besides Wemby for Cade Cunningham?

Cunningham isn't lighting the world on fire and he turns it over a lot but I think thats because no one in Detroit cares and the coaching is awful.(Not that ours has been much better with teaching that turnovers are bad)

Cunningham is like Point Sochan but with the potential to get better as a PG.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:49 pm

Young teams turn it over a lot. It's an indication of nothing but inexperience and learning the system. Wemby turns it over the most on our team, for instance.

Seven of the bottom 10 TO teams are either rebuilding or in deep injury and roster out of whack (not consistent) mode like Memphis.

So that context matters.

I don't know how hot Detroit is about any of their PGs. Cade isn't yet as advertised, neither is Ivey. One of them has to play off ball more if they share the court. Looks like Ivey has been more of the odd man out.

The most odd man out is Hayes. And it looks like we're most likely to land him. So there's that:

Read on Twitter

Have also heard that Cs are interested in Cedi. I ran it by Cs fans on their trade thread and some like him though don't see a way of acquiring him. Cs have a trade exemption that Cedi's contract is just outside of.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:08 am

G R E Y wrote:Young teams turn it over a lot. It's an indication of nothing but inexperience and learning the system. Wemby turns it over the most on our team, for instance.

Seven of the bottom 10 TO teams are either rebuilding or in deep injury and roster out of whack (not consistent) mode like Memphis.

So that context matters.

I don't know how hot Detroit is about any of their PGs. Cade isn't yet as advertised, neither is Ivey. One of them has to play off ball more if they share the court. Looks like Ivey has been more of the odd man out.

The most odd man out is Hayes. And it looks like we're most likely to land him. So there's that:

Read on Twitter

Have also heard that Cs are interested in Cedi. I ran it by Cs fans on their trade thread and some like him though don't see a way of acquiring him. Cs have a trade exemption that Cedi's contract is just outside of.

With Killian, of course the NBA odds would add the Spurs to the list. Especially with the Spurs dealings with past French players like TP, Boris Diaw, Nando de Colo, Joffrey Lauvergne, and Ian Mahinmi. Just because Hayes is a French native, he's a shoo in for the Spurs. :-? It doesn't fully work like that. Hayes name has been mentioned on the block off and on the last couple of years. My thoughts are that he may be like Dante Exum and bust out the league for a few years. Go to either G-League or back overseas. Maybe if he works on his skills set better that he could return to the NBA if he's destined for a return.

Detroit overall need tremendous work. Cade needs to be the forward he needs to be. Ivey needs to work on his perimeter offense and be a SG with some agree of playmaking. Monty is more of a playoff contender coach over a rebuilding coach. He didn't want the job in the first place. Between the owner or GM, they kept goading him with more money to the point he just accepted the coaching position. Look how that's turn out. They need a culture change all around if they want to get better for the future.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:16 am

SD2042 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Young teams turn it over a lot. It's an indication of nothing but inexperience and learning the system. Wemby turns it over the most on our team, for instance.

So that context matters.

Read on Twitter

With Killian, of course the NBA odds would add the Spurs to the list. Especially with the Spurs dealings with past French players like TP, Boris Diaw, Nando de Colo, Joffrey Lauvergne, and Ian Mahinmi. Just because Hayes is a French native, he's a shoo in for the Spurs. :-? It doesn't fully work like that. Hayes name has been mentioned on the block off and on the last couple of years. My thoughts are that he may be like Dante Exum and bust out the league for a few years. Go to either G-League or back overseas. Maybe if he works on his skills set better that he could return to the NBA if he's destined for a return.

Detroit overall need tremendous work. Cade needs to be the forward he needs to be. Ivey needs to work on his perimeter offense and be a SG with some agree of playmaking. Monty is more of a playoff contender coach over a rebuilding coach. He didn't want the job in the first place. Between the owner or GM, they kept goading him with more money to the point he just accepted the coaching position. Look how that's turn out. They need a culture change all around if they want to get better for the future.

Yeah notice I didn't write an opinion about it. Mostly posted it tongue in cheek because of the French connection and because gump talked about TOs, like basically the lone thing that Hayes is good at limiting.

The last several years, if there was a reclamation project, the Spurs were linked like oh they could fix him. Well we're in the development of our own business now. I had a peek at Detroit's Hayes thread and he's getting thrashed there. Like good riddance. Whatever's gone wrong has gotten worse and he's got shooting yips. Last thing we need is a malcontemt who can't shoot! If you fall out of rotation favour on the team with the worst record and you've had several years to make a mark, the whole new scenery on the brink of a second contract is seen for what it is.

We want high ceiling, competitive, coachable players. If anything, with French national team coach Collet and Diaw visiting the Spurs recently, practice facility and games, and with Wemby and his connections, we have even more insight into the player and character.

I don't think anything will come of it but if it does, we've done due diligence. But truly at this point, how much more is there to mine and is it worth the investment? Is there that much more there that we should put in the effort?

Some guys take more time to mature / find their place in the league. Others play their way out of it.

I don't think that we should intervene here.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:00 pm

G R E Y wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

So that context matters.

Read on Twitter

Yeah notice I didn't write an opinion about it. Mostly posted it tongue in cheek because of the French connection and because gump talked about TOs, like basically the lone thing that Hayes is good at limiting.

The last several years, if there was a reclamation project, the Spurs were linked like oh they could fix him. Well we're in the development of our own business now. I had a peek at Detroit's Hayes thread and he's getting thrashed there. Like good riddance. Whatever's gone wrong has gotten worse and he's got shooting yips. Last thing we need is a malcontemt who can't shoot! If you fall out of rotation favour on the team with the worst record and you've had several years to make a mark, the whole new scenery on the brink of a second contract is seen for what it is.

We want high ceiling, competitive, coachable players. If anything, with French national team coach Collet and Diaw visiting the Spurs recently, practice facility and games, and with Wemby and his connections, we have even more insight into the player and character.

I don't think anything will come of it but if it does, we've done due diligence. But truly at this point, how much more is there to mine and is it worth the investment? Is there that much more there that we should put in the effort?

Some guys take more time to mature / find their place in the league. Others play their way out of it.

I don't think that we should intervene here.

Hayes is hot garbage if you guys didn't know.
Most of Detroit here were ecstatic when he was rumored to want out.

Dont want anything to do with him.

Meet Killian Hayes

https://youtu.be/Pr-asP-FC4s?si=eX0TcDBccxtc4KqS

LOL at Scalabrine BTW :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:28 pm

Well this would be interesting and potentially awkward:

Read on Twitter

But at least with the Hayes whispers and now this, looks like we're in the hunt for a PG.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by imagump1313 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:24 am

G R E Y wrote:Well this would be interesting and potentially awkward:

Read on Twitter

But at least with the Hayes whispers and now this, looks like we're in the hunt for a PG.

I really dont want to hate on Jones but I was hoping for more of a splash than that.

His brother is literally the exact same player and thats not working out well already.

Edit:I guess there isnt much to choose from looking at the FA list this year.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:20 am

imagump1313 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I really dont want to hate on Jones but I was hoping for more of a splash than that.

His brother is literally the exact same player and thats not working out well already.

Yeah plus he's expiring after this season. Tyus has an excellent assist / TO ratio and actually makes 3s well. At 39.2% this season. Consistently around high 30s percentage.

He's actually a quality back up if a team has a star PG like Grizz do. Lots of PO-bound teams want him for depth, not starting. For us he's starter level, just not sure we want the bro on bro competition.

More broadly, I do wonder what we have in mind at PG. Given how short Tre's extension is (2 years, $10M each year, starting this season, he is UFA after next season), it feels like we have some targets in mind.

Same thing for C/back up C. I know Wemby is starting at C for us but I don't think he's the long term solution. He'd prefer not to be C. Zach is making $7.5M as back up C. This is the last season of it... So basically we have to shore up most of the starting five. Lots of work to do.

Lots of cap space and good contracts to work with.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:35 am

G R E Y wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah plus he's expiring after this season. Tyus has an excellent assist / TO ratio and actually makes 3s well. At 39.2% this season. Consistently around high 30s percentage.

He's actually a quality back up if a team has a star PG like Grizz do. Lots of PO-bound teams want him for depth, not starting. For us he's starter level, just not sure we want the bro on bro competition.

More broadly, I do wonder what we have in mind at PG. Given how short Tre's extension is (2 years, $10M each year, starting this season, he is UFA after next season), it feels like we have some targets in mind.

Same thing for C/back up C. I know Wemby is starting at C for us but I don't think he's the long term solution. He'd prefer not to be C. Zach is making $7.5M as back up C. This is the last season of it... So basically we have to shore up most of the starting five. Lots of work to do.

Lots of cap space and good contracts to work with.

I would like the Magic to acquire him so they have that PG to get players in their positions to get their shots and keep the flow of the offense on point. Plus it gives the Magic more time to allow Anthony Black to continue to develop his game so when the time comes, he will be able to step into the starting PG role.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:43 pm

Read on Twitter

That's not what Keldon coming off the bench means. We didn't value Manu less because he was 6th man extraordinaire. Not that Keldon is Manu, but he is very important to us.

We need bench scoring balance and there wasn't enough ball to go around with us also wanting to develop the Devin-Wemby two-man game. More off-ball 3&D is a better profile for the starting 3 right now.

Keldon still plays starter minutes and finishes games.

I'd be shocked if we traded Keldon now. And anyway, 'could' is not an offer. Just a rumour, but it is the season for it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by imagump1313 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:38 am

G R E Y wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's not what Keldon coming off the bench means. We didn't value Manu less because he was 6th man extraordinaire. Not that Keldon is Manu, but he is very important to us.

We need bench scoring balance and there wasn't enough ball to go around with us also wanting to develop the Devin-Wemby two-man game. More off-ball 3&D is a better profile for the starting 3 right now.

Kelson still plays starter minutes and finishes games.

I'd be shocked if we traded Keldon now. And anyway, 'could' is not an offer. Just a rumour, but it is the season for it.

"Sam Quinn suggested that the Knicks could express interest in San Antonio Spurs forward Keldon Johnson in a trade deadline primer."

I don't care who they are interested in because they will just offer garbage in return. He acts like we should be excited that they are interested in one of our players.

The Knicks are one of those completely stupid arrogant franchises. Much like the 76ers, Celtics and Lakers, they think teams should just give them players for free because of who they are. F*** them! It explains why the Knicks have been awful for the last 30 years.

And I dont think our front office have forgotten the Marcus Morris nonsense....
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:51 pm

Oh no! Doug said he hoped he'd be here forever! At least he can get buckets for a PO bound team:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

THANK YOU, DOUG MCBUCKETS!

GOOD LUCK!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#16 » by G R E Y » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:53 pm

Yeah sure as **** hope so. Getting tossed around like a blunt among teens:

Read on Twitter

Doesn't fit character or timeline. Bye.

:lol: Don always tells it like it is lmao

Read on Twitter

Yep!

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Hmm I wonder who we have in mind for that open spot...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#18 » by G R E Y » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:50 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by imagump1313 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:33 pm

G R E Y wrote:Yeah sure as **** hope so. Getting tossed around like a blunt among teens:

Read on Twitter

Doesn't fit character or timeline. Bye.

:lol: Don always tells it like it is lmao

Read on Twitter

Yep!

Read on Twitter

Yeah, F*** Marcus Morris LOL. I hope they at least let him into Pop's office for a meeting and Pop farts in his face as a sending off gift :lol:

McDermott is a Pacer-type player. Perfect landing spot for him IMO. I'm rooting for them in the east.
They also dumped Hield which makes me like them even more!
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by imagump1313 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:39 pm

I'm not a fan of Bill Simmons but he did jump on my train of trying to fleece Detroit of Cunningham for picks. Now because he mentioned it, it will never happen. Thanks Simmons....

Return to San Antonio Spurs