Why are we not utilizing Durant in the post?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

Why are we not utilizing Durant in the post? 

Post#1 » by TheUrbanZealot » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:36 am

Please don't tell me he is too skinny. His lack of weight is completely trumped by his extreme length. I love Durant at the 2 guard, but I don't think we are utilizing him there like we could. I mean let's think about it- the guy is SIX TEN! A six 10 2 guard is unheard of this side of an occasional Hedo Turkoglu. Durant can post up every single 2 guard in the NBA, and we are completely evading this advantage.

If I were PJ, I would PUNISH teams by going to Durant over and over in the post until they are forced to double, triple team him. Once he starts getting more attention, that's when WE can dictate the flow of our offense instead of other teams doing so as they are now.

I may have seen Durant in the post 3 times since he's been in the league. Let's at least give him a shot, I mean if nothing else, he can develop a low post game to compliment his outside skillset...
Yoshi2kx
Senior
And1: 5

Post#2 » by Yoshi2kx » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:00 pm

Is it me.. or does Durant turn it over or have trouble getting rid of it almost every time he's doubled teamed?
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#3 » by wiff » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:22 pm

Man this adds a whole new wrinkle. Because I was wondering why don't they utilize Wilcox in the post.

You would think after all the time PJ spent in San An he might know a post play or two.
TheUrbanZealot
Junior

Post#4 » by TheUrbanZealot » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:37 pm

Yoshi2kx wrote:Is it me.. or does Durant turn it over or have trouble getting rid of it almost every time he's doubled teamed?

Honestly, i rarely see Durant double teamed, let alone doubled in the post. He can be a little jittery, but I have never seen him actually get a smooth entry pass so that he is in position to make a quick turn around... which traces to another issue Seattle has (no PG to get him the ball).
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#5 » by djthesonicsfan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:07 pm

Could not agree more. K Durant in the post, at times, regularly, is the right forward. Part of that team intelligence thing that's missing on the offense IMO.
TheUrbanZealot
Junior

Post#6 » by TheUrbanZealot » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:04 pm

wiff wrote:Man this adds a whole new wrinkle. Because I was wondering why don't they utilize Wilcox in the post.

You would think after all the time PJ spent in San An he might know a post play or two.

I said the same thing in my thread on Wally being the focal point of the offense. I have no clue why Durant or Wilcox are not options 1a/1b. Wilcox actually looks pretty good in the low block, always shoots a high percentage, yet we never look for him at all, especially in the 2nd half. How many games have we seen where we went to him early a couple of times, him starting off hot, then us never going back to him for the rest of the game?

I think 2 parties are to blame: 1) PG 2) Even more so, PJ. PJ ultimately has to take the blame because he has control over what the offense runs. He should just have drills where almost exclusively they go to Wilcox and Durant in the post, and practice doubling and tripling them to see how they handle it.

Instead, we settle for the Wally S. 3 pt barrage show. PJ has got to do something about this because i can't see how it can't be anything but logical?
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,921

Post#7 » by Dick Tate » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:28 pm

Makes you wonder if PJ might be trying to tell Wilcox that he has to earn his shots by playing a little D first.
TheUrbanZealot
Junior

Post#8 » by TheUrbanZealot » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:16 pm

Dick Tate wrote:Makes you wonder if PJ might be trying to tell Wilcox that he has to earn his shots by playing a little D first.

That logic wouldn't make sense, because you look at someone like Wally S, who plays absolutely no D, yet gets to chuck shots at will. Why not apply the same concept to him? Wilcox certainly is better at D than Wally...
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#9 » by Sweezo » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:53 pm

I've wondered the same thing. Here you have a guy with a clear advantage, and if he gets doubled...fine, someone else is open. If Durant gets nervous in that situation, who cares? He's going to have to learn to adapt at some point, and if he's going to stick as a 2 guard it makes no sense to not use his height for the benefit of the team.
AbdicatedReign
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#10 » by AbdicatedReign » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:03 pm

They run Durant into the post a ton during their sets, but the PGs (Watson, mainly) never even look at him and the play progresses. Watch during the next game, you'll see Durant flash to the post numerous times, but the guard's head never even turns.
TheUrbanZealot
Junior

Post#11 » by TheUrbanZealot » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:31 pm

AbdicatedReign wrote:They run Durant into the post a ton during their sets, but the PGs (Watson, mainly) never even look at him and the play progresses. Watch during the next game, you'll see Durant flash to the post numerous times, but the guard's head never even turns.

I have seen that, and it still goes back to the coach. Hell, maybe it goes to Presti, since he should be able to throw some suggestions in there. Coach though really should pull Watson, Ridnour, West aside and say listen, rather than us not playing to our strengths, let's establish an identity and use our mismatches where they are most glaring.

It's inexcusable an unfathomable why we don't let Durant develop a dominance in the post. I want him to establish a reputation that's going to require a double team and triple team. There is no rule saying your low post threat has to exclusively be your center. Durant can really revolutionize the position if coach let him..
sonichound16
Sophomore

Post#12 » by sonichound16 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:05 pm

I completely agree about our PG not passing to players in the low post, no one on the team seems to like passing into the post but Green and Collison have to be the best at it. It is irritating to see guys posting up and watch the perimeter players look them off and either swing the ball or drive. I get pissed at Durant for hanging out on the perimeter but he never gets the ball when he does try and post so I guess you can't blame him. The two most frustrating things about this team right now are the WIDE open looks we give when we play zone and the apparent lack of ANY kind of offensive philosophy.[/b]
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#13 » by wiff » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:00 am

Maybe Watsnour has just been trained like one of Pavlov's dogs. To just drive the lane and kick it out to the three point line because that's pretty much all the Sonics have done for the last, what 4 years now?

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball