Coming to terms with this

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Coming to terms with this 

Post#1 » by djthesonicsfan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Maybe you've noticed, or not, but I haven't able to post, actually even look at or talk about the NBA or the Sonics, since Mayor Dumbass caved. But now I find myself conflicted. While I still have big time anger with that lying sack Bennett and that weasel Schultz, I can't seem to let go of that last hope, faint as it is, that Schultz's lawsuit will wake me up from this nightmare and the team will be back in Seattle. Besides, I've become a big fan of Presti. That kid is making good moves. Anyone want to bet he winds up resolving the CJ Miles restricted free agent offer with Utah by sending them Watson for Miles & Hart? Hopefully his next move will be releasing Griffin. Bonus points if he's able to unload Wilkins (76ers? Raptors?) for a conditional 2nd. And I wouldn't care if it was our 2nd... the one the Nets owe us. And wouldn't it be great if he gave that qualifying offer to Mr Swfit because he knows the knee is finally ok? I guess I'm saying Presti's done a great job overall in my opinion putting this young team together quickly & it's going to kill me not watching them grow up. I can only hope that some sort of miracle happens (eg the Schultz lawsuit) and the team comes back. In the mean time, as pissed as I am, I find myself glad Green made the USA junior team, Westbrook did so well in Orlando, Durant seems to be addicted to improving his game, & Presti lucked into getting Hardin at #50.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll continue to post. Seems weird now there's an OKC board although I like it in an underground never say die sort of way. But I did want to tell you all I've enjoyed reading all your posts, being able to share my views on the team and especially wiff's pictures. Thanks.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
Argyle
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Coming to terms with this 

Post#2 » by Argyle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:44 pm

I remember when the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl, I couldn't watch Sportscenter for a week because they'd all talk about how great the Steelers were. It made me sick.

Now I'm the same way about the NBA whenever it comes up in discussion or in the news, it just makes me sick.

I'd like to echo dj's comments... It's been real. Don't know how much I'll be back. Maybe on the Mariners board? I might be getting too old to be hardcore, but I feel like a bandwagoner now and the M's have me feeling how I did about the Sonics last year. It's just not fun anymore. Even the Seahawks (especially the Engram situation) have me losing passion...

Anyways, I'll probably check in from time to time but so long for now.
Saul
Banned User

Post#3 » by Saul » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:52 pm

it will be fine. Theres still the schultz case.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#4 » by bennith13 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:00 am

I think the schultz case took a big hit when the city pussed out. In reality the only way we are going to get a team is if we go and steal a team from some other city.
kjtruong
Sophomore

Post#5 » by kjtruong » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:31 am

bennith13 wrote:I think the schultz case took a big hit when the city pussed out. In reality the only way we are going to get a team is if we go and steal a team from some other city.

can't say i am a fan of that given what we've just gone through.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by bennith13 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:09 am

I guess it comes down to weather you want the NBA badly enough. I doubt we get an expansion team. So the options are either do not have a team or go get a team.

I would not feel bad at all if Memphis or NO came here. I would feel bad if a team that had been in that market for a long time moved, like the Bucks.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#7 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 pm

^Plus, can you just imagine the struggle of having to deal with being an expansion team? Look at what Charlotte's going through right now with possibly losing their franchise centerpeice in Okafor. They will have nothing if he leaves, and will be right back at sqaure one.

Don't get me wrong, if we were somehow offered an expansion team (which is highly unlikely), I'd take it in a heartbeat. My point is, we've basically been a mediocre team over the past 10 years. From a casual fan's perspective, I don't think they can handle being a bottom dweller for another 5-10 years. The Seattle fan has such a short attention span in general (not any of us of course--we are in it for the long haul) and will spend all their time and money on whoever is currently winning. That is unfortunate, but it's the truth.

Listen, I was a huge advocate of not wanting another city's team if the Sonics left. Doing what was done to us isn't right and it still feels wrong. But I never really knew the magnitude of how bad losing them would feel. If you want NBA basketball in this city, you have two choices:
1. Hope to high hell that Schultz goes through with his case, wins it, and the Sonics are forced to move back.
2. We (Ballmer) buys a team that isn't doing well in its current market (Memphis, New Orleans) and bring it here, NBA ready.

But we have to remember, none of this is possible without an arena, renovated or new. I'd prefer a privately funded arena in Bellevue, but I've read Ballmer & Co. are only interested in improving Seattle Center.

Expansion just isn't an option IMO.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by BenjaminH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:56 pm

DJ, I was going to comment on the CJ Miles before Sweezo locked that thread. You campaigned for him earlier, and, (though it is confessedly hard for me to follow the team,) I think Miles would be a great pickup. He could start at the 2, moving Durant and Green up, or come off the bench to score. He really is a pretty good shooter who, I think, will compliment the rest of the roster.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#9 » by wiff » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 am

When I saw the CJ miles offer I was thinking of how you called it DJ.

And I have noticed that you haven't been posting since Mayor Butt Wad took it in the shorts.

Man I am so torn on this. First off I'm totally filled with hate toward Stern and Bennett. You can even throw in the Coffee King of Seatte in that group too.

Honestly I'd feel like a whore if I started to follow the Blazers even though Paul Allen owns them, Nate coaches them Roy is from Seattle along with Webster and I find Greg Oden ridiculous funny.

I find myself thinking if I lived in Nebraska or Idaho what NBA team would I follow? After all many Sonic fans are not even from Washington.

I checked the summer league stats and I noticed the CJ Miles offer. But I can't bring myself to post on the OKC board.

I told myself I wouldn't pay a single cent to the NBA after this all went down the way it did. And so far I haven't and I don't plan on buying league pass or any crap like that but I am having a harder time than I thought I would to simply go cold turkey from the league.

What makes it even harder to let it go, is that there is a glimmer (albiet a smaller glimmer) of hope that Shultz could win his case. I know odds are slim but still a long shot crosses the finish line first on occasion.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#10 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:55 am

^Wiff, ride it out. We will (hopefully) get a team..whether that means bringing our current team back or getting a new one..the Sonics will be back.

That's what I keep telling myself.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by bennith13 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 am

Sonics will be back... depending on how many fans want them back, and what happens in Nov. in the local elections.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#12 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I hate to admit this, but I find it a little refreshing for me this summer with now having more time for other things besides not thinking about the NBA. I think it's some kind of unconscience trait that turns me from dwelling on the negative into looking at other options. Like most, I sort of beat myself up for a week or two at first over the sock in the jaw of the reality of losing the Sonics. But I really believe I(and I hope everyone else) will emerge from this with a clearer head and realize that in time all signs point to a new NBA team in Seattle. It's like taking a little hiatus, or vacation from the all engrossing passion of the Sonics.

I haven't, and hopefully never will give in to the slightest temptation of posting on the OKC boards. I do read from time to time what the fans there post and realize how far behind they are in their basketball knowledge and just how good and educated the Sonics fans here are in comparison. But I imagine over time they'll get it. It's not my team anymore and wouldn't troll there although I do find myself after all these years going back to the Grizzlies forum that I said I wouldn't touch since they left here in Vancouver. Time tends to soften one's stance. Maybe in a couple of years I might change my tune about OKC but I don't think so.

Lately my attachment to basketball hasn't been about the Sonics, Key Arena updates, or any affiliation with a different team(although I'm thrilled that what has been up to now my second favorite team, the Hornets, signing James Posey). No, what has me intrigued these days is following how decent quality NBA players are exiting the NBA for the Euroleague, with Josh Childress being the latest to go.

I actually take some joy in seeing the NBA take a hit in it's PR side that shows they aren't the only place for the top players in the world to be. It shouldn't come as any surprise since there's other countries that have been winning the world championship for years now. But deep pockets overseas from oil billionaires are dangling big bucks in front of players, and the current group of NBA owners, who are only interested in taking money from the likes of relocation fees over keeping tradition in long established markets are seeing their greed now come to haunt them.

I'm going to follow this emerging trend closely and see which GM's will try to stay ahead of the curve and how they will attempt to stop the exodus of MLE type players from leaving if they get the shaft from their teams.

Finally, DjThesonicsfan, it is funny how we discussed at some length the CJ Miles possibility before it happened. You've always put in good thought and analysis into your work in here. My advice is take a break, the NBA isn't gone forever from Seattle, and now take it upon yourself to simply enjoy basketball as a free agent fan who can watch any game and enjoy the skill without feeling attached and cursing referees, or disecting every single nuance of the stats every day. The pureness of watching a game for the fun of it. What a new concept. Between subscribing to Raptors TV, plus another 3 or four channels that show a ton of NBA games, I will still get more than my fill of basketball, only now it can be on my terms as far as how I want to put in my time on any given night of the week. It will be my discretion.

We'll all be back here one day as supporters of Seattle basketball and I can only hope that this forum stays open although my guess is that by the start of this coming season it's wrapped up, but I hope not. It sounds like sonicscentral will continue, but I hope it becomes more of an open forum to discuss basketball and doesn't end up as simply a political venue. But there should always be a place where fans of basketball in Seattle can get together.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#13 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:19 pm

DT,
Very thoughtful post, as always!

I just wanted to touch on your comment about our forum here. I am assuming they are going to keep it open for us even after the season starts. Unless you're talking about it becoming some sort of "ghost town." I hope that's not the case. The only way we avoid that is by coming in here and sharing our thoughts.

Also, I'll admit it, reading that Josh Childress bolted for Greece this morning put a smile on my face. I am usually happy these days whenever something bad happens to the NBA (ie: the Donaghy scandal). It's my way of knowing that even if it's just a little bit, kharma is coming back to kick David Stern in the #ss.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#14 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:56 pm

Keep the faith Jenn. I suppose it's Sweezo, Bennith13, and Sonictecture who have to address the forum status with whoever runs the entire show at realgm. I don't know if anyone has really talked about the future of this forum and who ultimately makes the final decision.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#15 » by Sweezo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:06 pm

jenn_gp wrote:Also, I'll admit it, reading that Josh Childress bolted for Greece this morning put a smile on my face. I am usually happy these days whenever something bad happens to the NBA (ie: the Donaghy scandal). It's my way of knowing that even if it's just a little bit, kharma is coming back to kick David Stern in the #ss.

Yeah, I think this is a bigger deal than it's being made out to be. Here you have an instrumental part of a playoff team who just bolted what is supposed to be the premier league in the world. This isn't some scrub player who couldn't get a stable job in the NBA and decided to try his luck elsewhere.

Is this a sign of things to come? And does that hurt us? If the rate of foreign-born players who stay in Europe increases, and some homegrown talent starts to jet as well, doesn't that kill the league's depth and make expansion far less likely than it already is?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#16 » by Sweezo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:07 pm

Downtown wrote:Keep the faith Jenn. I suppose it's Sweezo, Bennith13, and Sonictecture who have to address the forum status with whoever runs the entire show at realgm. I don't know if anyone has really talked about the future of this forum and who ultimately makes the final decision.

It will stay around as long as people want it to stick around. Which is tough...how many topics even come up that we can actually discuss on here?
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#17 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:25 pm

Is this a sign of things to come? And does that hurt us? If the rate of foreign-born players who stay in Europe increases, and some homegrown talent starts to jet as well, doesn't that kill the league's depth and make expansion far less likely than it already is?

Good question. I would say that it hurts our chances for expansion if this is going to be the growing trend...US born players bolting for Europe. What about Stern's plans to expand in China? What is the bigger priority...replacing a team in a large, proven market--or establishing an NBA presence in a foreign country?

I think both (players leaving for Europe & China expansion) are huge obstacles for the Seattle fan who is looking to get a team through expansion. I think the only choice we have is to do what was done to us (steal) unfortunately.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by bennith13 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:45 am

As long as people post here this forum will stay open.

I think we can open it up a little and talk about more then just Sonics basketball. There should be some good topics with the local elections in NOV. coming up.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#19 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:25 pm

^Yeah, but I would hate for it to turn into strictly a Republican vs Democrat thing. I hope our board doesn't turn strictly to political discussion come November.

I'm down for discussing the issues, but it seems like Sonicscentral has turned into strictly a political discussion, and while it's nice that they are tying it into saving the team, it has gotten too political at times for me.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by Ex-hippie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Finally, our country has something worth exporting to Europe. The Childress signing just narrowed the current account deficit and the dollar is up vs. the Euro today. Coincidence? How can anyone possibly think so? The turnaround is just around the corner, folks!

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball