Rashard Lewis

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Rashard Lewis 

Post#1 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jun 8, 2009 9:11 pm

Hey guys! Long time no see. I think most of us have kepted in touch through Facebook, but I just wanted to get your thoughts about watching Rashard in the Finals this year.

I actually have been watching the Magic play since the first game against Clevland in the Eastern Conference Finals. What are your feelings towards watching Rashard succeed in the Finals with the Magic? I am happy for him. I am glad he isn't stuck in OKC.

However, I can't help but feel upset. We had to watch him grow for nine years as a Sonic, and he pretty much led us no where. When we went to the playoffs in 2005, Rashard was pretty useless, going down with a "sprain ankle" when we needed him the most. It makes me mad that we had to watch him play above mediocre to mediocre basketball for almost a decade, only for him to blossom and makes his way to the NBA Finals in another city.

Are you rooting for Rashard to win in the Finals? Post your thoughts..do you care? Do you still not give a crap about the NBA? What!?!? I'd like to see more activity up in here! :D

I personally want the Magic to win so that the Lakers and Kobe don't win another title.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Rashard Lewis 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Tue Jun 9, 2009 7:41 am

It sucks and it makes me angry. If I see the game on, I watch something else.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,922

Post#3 » by Dick Tate » Tue Jun 9, 2009 9:27 pm

I don't care and I haven't been watching. I've also lost interest in the FB group since noticing several of the supposed refugees are now posting on the OKC site, excitedly discussing "their" team.
Gag!
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#4 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah I've seen that too Dick.

The FB group has become abandoned just like this place, sadly.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Ex-hippie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:35 pm

Rashard Lewis is in the finals? What team is he on? Are they going to win?
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#6 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:55 am

No, no, and NO! Hippie :)

Long time no see buddy!
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#7 » by yearsago » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 pm

I have not a full game ever since the Sonics left, I'll look at boxscores for Brandon and Nate, but that is about it. I tried to get on the trailblazer bandwagon, but it just did not hold...now if Portland drafts Jon Brockman that might be what it takes for me to really jump on board..
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#8 » by yearsago » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Dick Tate wrote:I don't care and I haven't been watching. I've also lost interest in the FB group since noticing several of the supposed refugees are now posting on the OKC site, excitedly discussing "their" team.
Gag!

Man you are not kidding, about 25-35% of the posts on the OKC boards are coming from sonic fans. Did not think that many people would follow the team to OKC. Kind of disappointing.
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by Ex-hippie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:16 am

yearsago wrote:...now if Portland drafts Jon Brockman that might be what it takes for me to really jump on board..

Heh. Well, they had their chance to win over some of us with the Brockman-Roy combo, but noooooo. The NBA just does not want us to have nice things.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#10 » by slick_watts » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 pm

yearsago wrote:
Dick Tate wrote:I don't care and I haven't been watching. I've also lost interest in the FB group since noticing several of the supposed refugees are now posting on the OKC site, excitedly discussing "their" team.
Gag!

Man you are not kidding, about 25-35% of the posts on the OKC boards are coming from sonic fans. Did not think that many people would follow the team to OKC. Kind of disappointing.

why is it disappointing? it's not like the players did anything wrong..
JayMoney20
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by JayMoney20 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:33 pm

slick_watts wrote:
yearsago wrote:
Gag!

why is it disappointing? it's not like the players did anything wrong..

It's not about the players. It's about the team. It's always been about the team. When Gary Payton was traded, Sonics fans didn't all jump on the Bucks bandwagon. Same with Kemp, Dennis Johnson, Jack Sikma, etc. Of course as a fan you grow fond of particular players while they're wearing the uniform and representing your town, but you stay with the team, not the players. And I guess that's why it's disappointing to see a lot of the so-called Sonics fans posting on the Oklahoma board. Anyone who's posting there was never really a part of us to begin with. Sure, I liked Durant and was excited to see the direction of that team, but that team is no longer my team.

At any rate, that's just my 2 pennies. I didn't realize the SuperSonics board was still around on RealGM.
Dick Tate
Veteran

Post#12 » by Dick Tate » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:36 pm

JayMoney20 wrote:And I guess that's why it's disappointing to see a lot of the so-called Sonics fans posting on the Oklahoma board. Anyone who's posting there was never really a part of us to begin with. Sure, I liked Durant and was excited to see the direction of that team, but that team is no longer my team.

Good post, Jay.
Guys like Slick & Wiffler are posting and dreaming about players they want to see in a Blunder uniform. They want the Blunder to be winners in Okieville. It ain't about the players that used to wear "Sonics" on their jersey. Slick's reasoning is lame. They're sell outs, plain and simple.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by slick_watts » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:00 am

Dick Tate wrote:
JayMoney20 wrote:And I guess that's why it's disappointing to see a lot of the so-called Sonics fans posting on the Oklahoma board. Anyone who's posting there was never really a part of us to begin with. Sure, I liked Durant and was excited to see the direction of that team, but that team is no longer my team.

Good post, Jay.
Guys like Slick & Wiffler are posting and dreaming about players they want to see in a Blunder uniform. They want the Blunder to be winners in Okieville. It ain't about the players that used to wear "Sonics" on their jersey. Slick's reasoning is lame. They're sell outs, plain and simple.

give me a break. i'm not going to sit here and let the decisions of multi-millionaires affect how i watch and enjoy sports. don't be so juvenile. "anyone who's posting there was never really a part of us"? that's ridiculous. i watched almost every sonics game for the past 7-8 years and was a participant in all kinds of fan forums going way back to when ESPN.com first started their own. now because i don't have sour grapes but you do it means i can't watch basketball anymore? ok..

i can understand where you guys are coming from. i can't speak for wiff or anyone else but i'm not from seattle, i lived there for awhile, but i've got nothing invested in the place other than i enjoyed my time there. i'm sure if i was born and raised i would be singing a different tune. but even if i was, i still wouldn't go around critisizing how others choose to follow a sports team. get real.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#14 » by Sweezo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:44 am

JayMoney20 wrote:
It's not about the players. It's about the team. It's always been about the team.

Yep. I scratch my head at those who were Sonics fans and still follow the team...maybe if you're not from the area, fine, you may have been detached far enough from Seattle [either because you left or because you weren't from the area] to root for the Thunder.

But the local fans who jumped ship...Jesus, were you even dedicated to keeping the team here? You've seen the damage done to the city and what it's done to the fans you've associated yourselves with, and you see fit to give your time and resources supporting the **** who moved the team away? The person who ensured you would not see the Sonics play in KeyArena ever again? That's just mental weakness and cowardice, to be that whipped and still keep following your 'team' even when is the farthest thing from. Disgusting.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by slick_watts » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:12 am

Sweezo wrote:
JayMoney20 wrote:
It's not about the players. It's about the team. It's always been about the team.

Yep. I scratch my head at those who were Sonics fans and still follow the team...maybe if you're not from the area, fine, you may have been detached far enough from Seattle [either because you left or because you weren't from the area] to root for the Thunder.

But the local fans who jumped ship...Jesus, were you even dedicated to keeping the team here? You've seen the damage done to the city and what it's done to the fans you've associated yourselves with, and you see fit to give your time and resources supporting the **** who moved the team away? The person who ensured you would not see the Sonics play in KeyArena ever again? That's just mental weakness and cowardice, to be that whipped and still keep following your 'team' even when is the farthest thing from. Disgusting.

i dunno, sweezo. i respect your position, but at the same time what you're saying about guys like wiff seems a bit out of line and over the top. i don't know what it's like to lose a team so maybe my opinion doesn't matter, but it's ridiculous to think that my years invested in the team (following them, flying up there to see some games, etc.) are discounted because my personal decision is that it doesn't matter where they play. i'm no fan of clay bennett, but i followed the situation very closely, and many 'locals' didn't seem so commited to keeping the team around. i guess that's neither here nor there.

i guess i'll just leave you to your position.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#16 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:28 am

Well, the topic at hand has been diverted..but at least we're back to discussing something in here.

I'm going to stay out of this argument. I am very passionate about my opinon, so much so that I think a lot of people tell me I'm crazy or psycho about it and to move on, just like they did the day the city let the Supes go. I'm not here to be called names, and I don't like people telling me how I should feel or deal with things.

The same can be said for everyone here. Believe me, I have looked at the OKC forum and noticed the amount of "Sonics" fans that have migrated over there. When I see that, I feel the same way as Dick and Sweez. But people are dealing with the situation the best they can, and I can't fault them for it. I understand the position of someone who doesn't have ties with the city...they are choosing to follow the team no matter where they are, and that's their perogetive.

What I don't understand is how people who actually live or have lived in this state can swallow their pride and continue to support the man who essentially made us all bend over backwards and take it up the @*# as he stole our team away. In my eyes, if you support the Thunder, you support Clay Bennett and the kind of human being he is. But like I said earlier, people have their own way of dealing with situations and I can't fault them for that.

As I go back to re-read the beginning of my post, I noticed I said I would stay out of the argument, and I totally didn't do that. I expressed how I feel, but I also understand why some feel complacent and may choose to follow the Thunder.

?? I don't know..
TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

Post#17 » by TheUrbanZealot » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 pm

Seriously, if anyone gets in a fuss because some Sonic fans are typing in a box on a message board for OKC Thunder, then it's probably time to take a break from the computer.

I think a lot of people are fans of players (which so happen to represent their former team). As a sports fan, no matter how much you may not like an owner, it's hard to shake your appreciation of players. It's especially hard to shake your appreciation of players that you are used to watching on a regular basis.

Just because someone posts on a message board for a team not titled "Seattle" doesn't mean that he/she is a sell-out. That's a very short-sighted, extreme approach. Maybe it's really not that serious and the person is just a fan of the players, whom as another poster alluded to, has nothing to do w/ the owner.

At some point have you all ever thought about just "letting it go"? I mean there are too many other things to really waste energy on rather than perpetually venting about something which obviously can't be undone.
Dick Tate
Veteran

Post#18 » by Dick Tate » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:00 am

TheUrbanZealot wrote:At some point have you all ever thought about just "letting it go"? I mean there are too many other things to really waste energy on rather than perpetually venting about something which obviously can't be undone.

Feeling disdain for former Sonics fans who post on an OKC site really takes very little effort.

Spending your time on a Blunder site while dreaming up idiotic trade scenarios on a daily basis, with the hope that this just might be the move that makes the Blunder hit the big time (or at least push them closer to 30 wins)... now that sounds like a real waste of energy.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#19 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:54 am

TheUrbanZealot wrote:At some point have you all ever thought about just "letting it go"? I mean there are too many other things to really waste energy on rather than perpetually venting about something which obviously can't be undone.

Seriously? Your going to go there? Typical response.

I could care less if you are rooting for the Thunder because a specific player you like is on the team. Hell, I liked Nick Collison when he was on the Sonics, but you don't see me rooting for him and more importantly, the Thunder now that he's not in Seattle. Like I said, I understand the different coping mechanisms people have went through over the past year, but I can't agree with all of them. If you root for the Thunder, you are rooting for Clay Bennett to succeed. That's just my coping mechanism and telling me to let go is pretty insensative.

I can't sit there and he happy and act like nothing happened after getting screwed over for almost 20 years worth of time and loyalty into the Sonics. I'm sorry, I can't "let it go" and pretend nothing happened.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by slick_watts » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:32 am

Dick Tate wrote:

Feeling disdain for former Sonics fans who post on an OKC site really takes very little effort.

Spending your time on a Blunder site while dreaming up idiotic trade scenarios on a daily basis, with the hope that this just might be the move that makes the Blunder hit the big time (or at least push them closer to 30 wins)... now that sounds like a real waste of energy.

how is that different from any other team board on realgm? i don't really care how you or others feel, but imo it's wrong for you to criticize people for deciding how they're going to follow a sports team. talk about a waste of energy..

you shouldn't "let go", that's stupid. boycott the nba forever, do whatever you want. but let bygones be bygones, there's no reason to disparage fans of the team because they made a different decision than you. grow up.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball