ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

AndreasLeftCalf
Analyst
And1: 3,905

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#421 » by AndreasLeftCalf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:30 pm

Dick fun to watch too
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,180

Post#422 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:39 pm

“He can be out there” says Brodey. “But really, he doesn’t care what other people think about him, and that probably helps him with his game, too. He’s got that happy-go-lucky attitude, but when it comes to the nitty gritty, he’s locked-in and wants to win.”

Caliper test FTMFW!

Finally!
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,032

Post#423 » by MEDIC » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:46 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Awessome article. Thanks for sharing. Big respect to Gradey.

I'll have to read this to my little guy. Great article about mindset and resiliency.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,032

Post#424 » by MEDIC » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:48 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Loved seeing him get fired up after hitting a big three in the fourth. He’s not scared. That’s what I like about BBQ Dick—they’re all mentally tough. They’re not scared of the moment..

Yup. I have a good feeling about this core group. I think they will figure things out & be a top 5 team in the east sooner rather than later.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,378

Post#425 » by alpngso » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:12 pm

So we know how Gradey’s been playing in 2024. So overall, was it a success? Solid B or does he deserve a higher grade?
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,848

Post#426 » by dTox » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=K8uRnn8ZcA68ELyb_QZ9Gw&s=19

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,359

Post#427 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:14 pm

alpngso wrote:So we know how Gradey’s been playing in 2024. So overall, was it a success? Solid B or does he deserve a higher grade?

I'd grade him a "D" for being a high lottery guy. It took him a quarter season to figure out how to get his shot off, and then after being forcefed minutes on a terrible team, he has shot the ball okay, but overall he is a shooter with zero defense and the other hustle stats are poor.

Gradey Dick 8.4 Pts; 2.2 Rebs; 37 3P%; 1.2 Ast -2.2 DBM; -5.4 BPM

Keyonte George and Cason Wallace averaged a similar amount of boards as Dick. Podzeimski averaged 5.7 boards.

I'd say the following guys taken after him outperformed him especially for the guys who play on play-in or playoff teams:

Jaime Jaquez
Brandin Podziemski
Cam Whitmore
GG Jackson

Jordan Hawkins is probably the most comparable to Dick's season but even he fought to get minutes on a playoff team and he earned his level of production.

While beyond that we don't know much about Colby Jones, Kobe Bufkin, Jett Howard, Noah Clowney, Brice Sensabaugh, Julian Strawther because they don't get a ton of NBA chances, but given their talent and positional size, I think they end up being good players who I think will have a bigger impact than Gradey.

After watching the Nuggets last night and seeing Christian Braun dunk on Minny and be a pesky defender, that is my high-end hope for Gradey Dick. Just work on being a tough role player who can shoot which likely takes a couple years to happen. Braun is on a championship team and still gets 20 mins, but he started somewhat similarly to Gradey at age 21.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,833

Post#428 » by djsunyc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:26 pm

Dalek wrote:
alpngso wrote:So we know how Gradey’s been playing in 2024. So overall, was it a success? Solid B or does he deserve a higher grade?

I'd grade him a "D" for being a high lottery guy. It took him a quarter season to figure out how to get his shot off, and then after being forcefed minutes on a terrible team, he has shot the ball okay, but overall he is a shooter with zero defense and the other hustle stats are poor.

Keyonte George and Cason Wallace averaged a similar amount of boards as Dick. Podzeimski averaged 5.7 boards.

I'd say the following guys taken after him outperformed him especially for the guys who play on play-in or playoff teams:

Jaime Jaquez
Brandin Podziemski
Cam Whitmore
GG Jackson

Jordan Hawkins is probably the most comparable to Dick's season but even he fought to get minutes on a playoff team and he earned his level of production.

While beyond that we don't know much about Colby Jones, Kobe Bufkin, Jett Howard, Noah Clowney, Brice Sensabaugh, Julian Strawther because they don't get a ton of NBA chances, but given their talent and positional size, I think they end up being good players who I think will have a bigger impact than Gradey.

After watching the Nuggets last night and seeing Christian Braun dunk on Minny and be a pesky defender, that is my high-end hope for Gradey Dick. Just work on being a tough role player who can shoot which likely takes a couple years to happen. Braun is on a championship team and still gets 20 mins, but he started somewhat similarly to Gradey at age 21.

there's 14 picks in the lottery. how is pick 13 considered "high lottery"?
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,359

Post#429 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:48 pm

djsunyc wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Jaime Jaquez
Brandin Podziemski
Cam Whitmore
GG Jackson

You are right, he is a lottery pick. I personally think he should have returned to school like most other Kansas guys do, because this year was a bit of waste. I guess he got to NBA early and is getting paid. Good for him.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,237

Post#430 » by niQ » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Got Nuffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 893

Post#431 » by Got Nuffin » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:46 pm

He looks great and will absolutely be an impact player for us off the bench as soon as next season. He has a pretty high ceiling imo, and Masai made the right pick here.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,805

Post#432 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 pm

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

okk.... mr klay dick
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,708

Post#433 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:55 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

okk.... mr klay dick

DicKlay

Really should just starting him next season with IQ, Barrett, Scottie and Poeltl.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,175

Post#434 » by PoundTown » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:16 am

Psubs wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

okk.... mr klay dick

DicKlay

Really should just starting him next season with IQ, Barrett, Scottie and Poeltl.

If we don’t keep our pick this year and are trying to lose next year, then yes. If we keep our pick this year and want to win this year, we should be getting a vet like Caleb Martin or Haywood highsmith. But I’d rather Gradey than Gary start next year, that part is for sure.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#435 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:35 am

Dalek wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Jaime Jaquez
Brandin Podziemski
Cam Whitmore
GG Jackson

You are right, he is a lottery pick. I personally think he should have returned to school like most other Kansas guys do, because this year was a bit of waste. I guess he got to NBA early and is getting paid. Good for him.

Not sure how you can say this year was a waste. It was an incredible development year for him. He improved in a number of areas, and gained valuable experience playing in a much tougher league and in different situations than he would have with another year at Kansas.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,695

Post#436 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:52 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Dalek wrote:
djsunyc wrote:there's 14 picks in the lottery. how is pick 13 considered "high lottery"?

Not sure how you can say this year was a waste. It was an incredible development year for him. He improved in a number of areas, and gained valuable experience playing in a much tougher league and in different situations than he would have with another year at Kansas.

1st yr should all be about showing if you belong in the NBA, that's step1 for a player seeing how the avg NBA career is like 3.5-4yrs. Showing if your game can translate & fit onto an NBA roster. What he did in college is what he did in the NBA more or less. Especially with his %s being good for a long stretch of time.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,695

Post#437 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:09 am

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

This is actually amazing.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,625

Post#438 » by Scase » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:07 am

HiJiNX wrote:Loved seeing him get fired up after hitting a big three in the fourth. He’s not scared. That’s what I like about BBQ Dick—they’re all mentally tough. They’re not scared of the moment.

Anyway, back to Dick. What I’m seeing from him these days is making me really excited for his future. He’s got shooter’s gravity. Already. And he’s only gonna get better at shooting at this level. The way the ball travels when he releases is poetry. And he’s just a heady player, who plays with a high motor and puts the team before himself. I wasn’t thrilled with the selection at first (I wanted Keyonte George), but I think we made the right choice.

Dick and IQ’s gravity is really gonna open up the floor for our front court. Just gotta tighten up the defensive end. We need a defensive wing/big so we can play a few minutes without both Poeltl and Barnes on the floor.

Can we please come up with a better name :lol: :lol: :lol:
Props TZ!
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,921

Post#439 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:19 am

I think Gradey is poised a big season next year, I really do think he can be a big part of our offense
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,490

Post#440 » by YelloC » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:59 am

On paper, Gradey and IQ are the ideal running mates for Scottie.
Gradey size and toughness were better than expected and he seems like a well liked teammate.
I could even see a future where Dick plays PF and Scottie plays the 3.

Return to Toronto Raptors