ImageImageImageImageImage

Malachi ain't it...

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,209

Re: Malachi ain't it... 

Post#461 » by HiJiNX » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:20 am

HiJiNX wrote:
Vampirate wrote:It's only been 9 games, but Flynn is no longer the main reason the bench has been so bad.

I don't know if he'll be on the Raptors next year but he has a place in the NBA as a backup, he can shoot.

Flynn's +/- are very bad but his other ORTg, DRTg, BPM, VORP paints him in a different picture (thus far)

I do wonder how much Nurse has effected the development of certain players.

It's really Gradey struggling as a rookie and Jalen McDaniels playing like the worst offensive player in existence that's been the biggest bench issue atm.

What hasn't been discussed despite his great struggles is his three point shooting has gotten better each season.

Year 1 .321
Year 2 .333
Year 3 .353

Flynn is a convenient scapegoat but he’s been our best bench player in the last four or five games imo. Playing with the likes of Boucher, Precious, Dick, GTJ, and McDaniels hasn’t made his life easier at all. Quite the opposite in fact. He’s starting to play freely instead of thinking too much.

And I quote.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#462 » by agkagk » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:20 am

Truthrising wrote:
Scase wrote:
Truthrising wrote:Malachi Flynn is currently 4th overall for the Raptors in BPM (Minimum 100 Mins Played)

Barnes 7.9
Schroeder 3.9
Anunoby 3.0
Flynn 0.6
Poetle -0.5
Siakam -1.2
Trent Jr -5.1
Dick -9.2

Probably because he plays like 95% of his minutes with Scottie lol.

Dick probably plays mostly with Barnes, it hasn’t helped him lol

Yeah, they need a veteran who can create or at least direct traffic in the mid range off the bench.

Like an old man, non washed rudy gay type would do the trick.
Axe Dragon
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#463 » by Axe Dragon » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:28 am

Duffman100 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
Vampirate wrote:It's only been 9 games, but Flynn is no longer the main reason the bench has been so bad.

I don't know if he'll be on the Raptors next year but he has a place in the NBA as a backup, he can shoot.

Flynn's +/- are very bad but his other ORTg, DRTg, BPM, VORP paints him in a different picture (thus far)

It's really Gradey struggling as a rookie and Jalen McDaniels playing like the worst offensive player in existence that's been the biggest bench issue atm.

What hasn't been discussed despite his great struggles is his three point shooting has gotten better each season.

Year 1 .321
Year 2 .333
Year 3 .353

Flynn is a convenient scapegoat but he’s been our best bench player in the last four or five games imo. Playing with the likes of Boucher, Precious, Dick, GTJ, and McDaniels hasn’t made his life easier at all. Quite the opposite in fact. He’s starting to play freely instead of thinking too much.

I mean, he was a convenient scapegoat up until this season because he had been terrible.

He's actually starting to play decently, so yeah..

Oddly, what I thought was our depth / strength in Boucher / Precious / McDaniels has basically given us nothing at all.

We don’t win without Boucher tonight.

Axe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,819

Post#464 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:37 pm

happy for him

needed a consistent leash. making the right reads and hes always active on defense
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,375

Post#465 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:44 pm

Warming up to him a bit. I like that he does not seem to force things and in theory he is a good fit beside Siakam and Barnes as he is a better catch and shoot player than anything else IMO
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,265

Post#466 » by sidsid » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:08 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:

Year 1 .321
Year 2 .333
Year 3 .353

I mean, he was a convenient scapegoat up until this season because he had been terrible.

Oddly, what I thought was our depth / strength in Boucher / Precious / McDaniels has basically given us nothing at all.

A longer leash and added structure is providing a decent amount of growth needed here, but it will only do so much to mitigate the chaos lineups (Boucher/Precious combos) or the tilted balance ones (no shooting, or one starter, or no defense, etc.). Same problems with Nurse there.

The recipe is there. There's just some lineup/role tweaking needed to make this team look like a professional one for a full 48 minutes.
sewerfrosh
Junior
And1: 126

Post#467 » by sewerfrosh » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:22 pm

still not to the point where he's a starter on any NBA team. Not a substitute for shroder if he shoukd get injured
causal_fan
Junior
And1: 339

Post#468 » by causal_fan » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:49 pm

sewerfrosh wrote:still not to the point where he's a starter on any NBA team. Not a substitute for shroder if he shoukd get injured

True but the Raptors have Schroder for 2 years, enough time for Flynn to try and lay claim to the starting PG position or the raptors can move on.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,819

Post#469 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:23 pm

Read on Twitter
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#470 » by lolwut » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:29 pm

causal_fan wrote:
sewerfrosh wrote:still not to the point where he's a starter on any NBA team. Not a substitute for shroder if he shoukd get injured

True but the Raptors have Schroder for 2 years, enough time for Flynn to try and lay claim to the starting PG position or the raptors can move on.

Or he can stay as a bench player. It doesn't have to be starter or bust for a 29th pick.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,920

Post#471 » by Agimat » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:54 pm

I'll always view Malachi's gradual improvement epitomizes how playing for his previous predecessor's judgement appears to be misguided.
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,920

Post#472 » by Agimat » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:01 pm

Imo I feel like there's more to his game other than "passing it to Achiuwa". I'd like to see him take more initiative in the offence...just a lil maybe one day, but for now baby steps as long as he plays solid defence and contributes by increasing the tempo, and make open shots. No reclamos!
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#473 » by agkagk » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:04 pm

Axe Dragon wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Flynn is a convenient scapegoat but he’s been our best bench player in the last four or five games imo. Playing with the likes of Boucher, Precious, Dick, GTJ, and McDaniels hasn’t made his life easier at all. Quite the opposite in fact. He’s starting to play freely instead of thinking too much.

We don’t win without Boucher tonight.

Axe

I figured this new system would suit his strengths — running, threes and dunks; his holy trinity.

It feels like every game or two, hes showing a bit more comfort and starting to just free flow out there.

its starting to look like some of that untapped potential is boiling up.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,916

Post#474 » by Thaddy » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:36 am

He had a very poor shooting game being 0/8 from 3 but other than that he was one of the few bright spots.

5 assists no turnovers, 3/3 inside the arch and he got the floater to fall. We need him to use that floater more and look for contact inside at the rim.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,529
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#475 » by SharoneWright » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:41 am

Axe Dragon wrote:Axe

The tax.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Raptorland23
Junior
And1: 371

Post#476 » by Raptorland23 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:03 am

Malachi still isn’t it, good for him that he plays hard but he still isn’t it, playing with effort alone doesn’t or shouldn’t grant you NBA minutes.

There is hundreds of g league players and players around the world with equal lack of talent that would play with effort to get minutes in the NBA as well

The fact we are looking at Flynn as some sort of positive because he at-least plays hard is alarming

The fact still remains, Flynn would not get a single minute of court time on any other NBA team in the league

This FO has become a joke
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,915

Post#477 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:17 pm

They better not extend him and half the scrubs on the bench... this management just doesn't know when to cut their losses....
Tom_Foolery
Junior
And1: 402

Post#478 » by Tom_Foolery » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:42 pm

The funniest thing about this is he's our second or third best player off the bench. :lol:
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,319

Post#479 » by MiamiSPX » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:43 pm

What I posted in the PG thread:

I want to like Flynn, I really do. Seems like a really good guy and his teammates love him. Him turning into a capable backup solves a glaring hole in our lineup. I just don't see it. Everyone can clown me later if I'm wrong, but I have 150 games in my favour versus a few "he wasn't terrible" games this season. I mean, I know our standards have become so low due to our recent bench woes but I just don't see a guy that you give another contract to thinking "this is definitely our backup PG"
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,928

Post#480 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:48 pm

Man, we got hyped for this guy getting 8 points in a game lol.... I think he'll be in china next year if Masai doesn't give him a contract

Return to Toronto Raptors