ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 230

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#81 » by RoteSchroder » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:09 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Psubs wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:They’re a dying breed. I like Reed but I’m unsure I can justify him in the top 10. I’d rather take a guy like Kolek, Carter, or Simpson at a later pick.

Take them both! Reed, Tristan DaSilva and Kolek/Simpson?

PG IQ - Simpson/Reed
SG Dick - Reed - Barrett
SF Barrett - DaSilva - Agbaji
PF Barnes - Olynyk - DaSilva
C Poeltl - Olynyk - FA Min

I guess it will depend on who’s available. But taking 2 point guards with IQ already here would be tough for me because even if they’re the BPA they won’t be able to prove anything until they’re on another roster.

I have at least Castle/Holland over Reed at the moment just for the upside, but Reed would more so be a future back-up PG/combo guard for us. The lack of on-ball PG duties isn't that big of a deal given the ball-movement offense with good passing bigs + Scottie.

I think a future C with one of the picks is definitely needed considering Olynyk is old and Poeltl is slightly up there in age. We also have no interior defensive bigs off the bench (Boucher doesn't get PT and he can't handle large C's)

Clingan, Edey, Ware, Yang are interesting prospects, each with their own flaws and red flags. Not sure if Masai will go for the raw athletic, hustle players (Yves, Chomche) considering the direction of the team.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,708

Post#82 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:20 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Take them both! Reed, Tristan DaSilva and Kolek/Simpson?

PG IQ - Simpson/Reed
SG Dick - Reed - Barrett
SF Barrett - DaSilva - Agbaji
PF Barnes - Olynyk - DaSilva
C Poeltl - Olynyk - FA Min

I guess it will depend on who’s available. But taking 2 point guards with IQ already here would be tough for me because even if they’re the BPA they won’t be able to prove anything until they’re on another roster.

I have at least Castle/Holland over Reed at the moment just for the upside, but Reed would more so be a future back-up PG/combo guard for us. The lack of on-ball PG duties isn't that big of a deal given the ball-movement offense with good passing bigs + Scottie.

I think a future C with one of the picks is definitely needed considering Olynyk is old and Poeltl is slightly up there in age. We also have no interior defensive bigs off the bench (Boucher doesn't get PT and he can't handle large C's)

Clingan, Edey, Ware, Yang are interesting prospects, each with their own flaws and red flags. Not sure if Masai will go for the raw athletic, hustle players (Yves, Chomche) considering the direction of the team.

The Nike Hoops Summit is April 13. Get to see Chomche and see him shoot some 3's. I'm cool with him at #31.

I've watched some videos of AJ Dybansta who is only 17 but could be 1 and done in 2026 with Cameron Boozer for #1. Likely the Raptors would already be floating back up to fighting for the #2 seed then. I mean there isn't much separating 2-8 in the East.
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#83 » by RoteSchroder » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:37 am

Psubs wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I guess it will depend on who’s available. But taking 2 point guards with IQ already here would be tough for me because even if they’re the BPA they won’t be able to prove anything until they’re on another roster.

The Nike Hoops Summit is April 13. Get to see Chomche and see him shoot some 3's. I'm cool with him at #31.

I've watched some videos of AJ Dybansta who is only 17 but could be 1 and done in 2026 with Cameron Boozer for #1. Likely the Raptors would already be floating back up to fighting for the #2 seed then. I mean there isn't much separating 2-8 in the East.

I'd be really hesitant on drafting Chomche considering how raw he is. Will definitely need to watch the Hoops Summit. Even then, a larger sample size is much more preferable.

Historically, I can't seem to recall any Bruno-level raw players that turned out to be good draft selections.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,815

Post#84 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:25 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=iDergfyDJveIq9pY2qCCBQ
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,789

Post#85 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:30 am

15 years. It was time
Psubs
RealGM

Post#86 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:59 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
Psubs wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

I'd be really hesitant on drafting Chomche considering how raw he is. Will definitely need to watch the Hoops Summit. Even then, a larger sample size is much more preferable.

Historically, I can't seem to recall any Bruno-level raw players that turned out to be good draft selections.

Salaun seems raw too. I think they should go Tristan DaSilva with the Pacers pick. Pascal was a 4 year senior.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#87 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:14 am

Psubs wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Salaun seems raw too. I think they should go Tristan DaSilva with the Pacers pick. Pascal was a 4 year senior.

I'm on board with da Silva as a selection at the Pacers pick as well, but just a correction: Pascal wasn't a 4-year senior. He only played 2 years at New Mexico State and was technically a sophomore (although he redshirted his freshman year, so he spent 3 years in college).
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,376

Post#88 » by XTC » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:21 am

Clingan vs Edey tomorrow

Going to be a big match up for both players.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,815

Post#89 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:37 am

XTC wrote:Clingan vs Edey tomorrow

deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,233

Post#90 » by Mark_83 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:43 am

Read on Twitter
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,576

Post#91 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:44 am

I see Holland is listed at 6’8 (he looks slightly shorter imo) but if he’s legit 6’7+ then I’d favour him over Castle.

We just flatly try to replace some of the size defensively on the wings that was lost with OG, Pascal and Precious. If I’m not mistaken I read Castle is 6’6 with a 6’9 wingspan, that’s fine good with guards but most forwards will have a distinct size advantage over him. It’s hard to compare them defensively because SC has the advantage of a full roster of good defenders, great coaching and an elite rim protector so mistakes won’t be as obvious or glaring. But from what I’ve read Holland is actually good defensively.

Go to 7:30 and watch him defensively, doesn't take much to squint a little and see a lot of what OG in HOW he defends. I'm not saying he's at that level consistently like OG was but the potential is at least there and all I hear is how he has a high motor. With obviously a smaller role offensively we can put him on ball more...

Couple that with him showing more creativity off the bounce and smoother looking shooting mechanics. I wouldn’t expect him to be a franchise level 1st option at any point but nonetheless I think he has the potential to be one of the better scorers on the wing and play both ends of the court and fulfill a clear need defensively. Get someone like Ware with the IND to defend the rim, Sears for great guard depth or Yang for the sheer upside with the DET pick and I think the lineup would be pretty complete. While he may not have quite superstar potential, I could see a world where if developed properly he could be an all-star.

Personally I still like Buzelis more than both as an upside swing but I’m just commenting because I seen a lot of support for Castle over the last couple of pages or so and don’t get me wrong I’d be fine with Steph, he’s a dog and I always welcome toughness here but I just like Holland’s overall upside and fit a bit more.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#92 » by RoteSchroder » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:26 am

Psubs wrote:Salaun seems raw too. I think they should go Tristan DaSilva with the Pacers pick. Pascal was a 4 year senior.

I like Da Silva, but there seems to be some major limitations with Da Silva's upside on both ends of the floor. I probably wouldn't consider him at the Indiana pick.

And for the Detroit pick, I think I'm coming around to Pacome Dadiet. Not sure about his defense, but he has a nice arc on his jumper with the ability to pull up or step back. He has decent length, height and athleticism for a wing.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,930

Post#93 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:46 am

XTC wrote:Clingan vs Edey tomorrow

If we get 6 or 4 or higher then Clingan as big is in the conversation. But at 6 it would be likely Castle or Williams for me. If in the likely event there is no Clingan available for whatever reason like convey or gone and they pick one of the boatload of long wings then Salaun at the Pacers pick might be enticing. 31 is a crapshoot but I still like Juan Nunez. If we have a top 6 pick and Topic falls I grab him but pretty sure he is destined to be a Spur and that will be talked about for years. If Spurs get our pick their top 7 1-2 punch plus Victor will be something to watch.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,014

Post#94 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Apr 8, 2024 11:47 am

Kevin Willis wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Castle is going to go too high. Not enough skill or productivity to warrant a top 10 pick for me. 11-20 range, sure.

Holland is someone that I see being undervalued because the Ignite has been a failure. I'd be happy with Sheppard, Dillingham or Holland with #6.

The question might be are there 10 guys better than him in this draft? Plus recency bias is going to move him up higher than he should be.

I guess I agree that I very well could see him as the 10th best player in the draft, but he's not one of the best 10 prospects.
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach

Post#95 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:22 pm

RoteSchroder wrote:
Psubs wrote:Salaun seems raw too. I think they should go Tristan DaSilva with the Pacers pick. Pascal was a 4 year senior.

I like Da Silva, but there seems to be some major limitations with Da Silva's upside on both ends of the floor. I probably wouldn't consider him at the Indiana pick.

And for the Detroit pick, I think I'm coming around to Pacome Dadiet. Not sure about his defense, but he has a nice arc on his jumper with the ability to pull up or step back. He has decent length, height and athleticism for a wing.

I'm curious what limitations you see with da Silva's game. I don't expect him to become a star, and maybe that's what you mean when you talk about "major limitations on his upside", but I see a guy with very few weaknesses in his game.

In my opinion, there's nothing glaring that needs to be improved for him to become an NBA player. The only real "limitations" I see are his age (he'll be 23 when the season begins, but that's perfectly fine), and the fact that he's not an incredibly explosive creator - but you're not getting that with anyone else at the Pacers pick anyway.
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 613

Post#96 » by grant101 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:32 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

I'm curious what limitations you see with da Silva's game. I don't expect him to become a star, and maybe that's what you mean when you talk about "major limitations on his upside", but I see a guy with very few weaknesses in his game.

In my opinion, there's nothing glaring that needs to be improved for him to become an NBA player. The only real "limitations" I see are his age (he'll be 23 when the season begins, but that's perfectly fine), and the fact that he's not an incredibly explosive creator - but you're not getting that with anyone else at the Pacers pick anyway.

I think Tristan is definitely an NBA player, but his age, lack of self-creation, speed and athleticism limits his upside. I'm not opposed to him at 17, but I think Karaban is just as good (slightly less skilled as a passer, not quite as good as a ballhandler, but a better shooter) and should be available at 31
aminiaturebuddha
Head Coach

Post#97 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:43 pm

grant101 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

I think Tristan is definitely an NBA player, but his age, lack of self-creation, speed and athleticism limits his upside. I'm not opposed to him at 17, but I think Karaban is just as good (slightly less skilled as a passer, not quite as good as a ballhandler, but a better shooter) and should be available at 31

I think da Silva's athleticism is being undersold a bit here. He's definitely faster and more athletic than Karaban is, in addition to being slightly taller and longer. I don't think Karaban is nearly as good. But even if he were only slightly worse, I'm not sure why we would opt for a lesser player, just to keep the powder dry with a high draft pick to take another player who also won't be a major creator.

No one is Kyrie Irving in this draft. I'm not sure who'd we be looking at with the Pacers pick who people think is going to have an advanced self-creation game at the NBA level. It's part of the reason that people have been down on this draft class. There are probably about 5 players in the draft that are excellent creators, and they all come with other big weaknesses or question marks (Topic and his shooting, Dillingham and his defence, etc.). And none of those guys would be available at the Pacers pick anyway.
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 613

Post#98 » by grant101 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:37 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
grant101 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:

I think da Silva's athleticism is being undersold a bit here. He's definitely faster and more athletic than Karaban is, in addition to being slightly taller and longer. I don't think Karaban is nearly as good. But even if he were only slightly worse, I'm not sure why we would opt for a lesser player, just to keep the powder dry with a high draft pick to take another player who also won't be a major creator.

No one is Kyrie Irving in this draft. I'm not sure who'd we be looking at with the Pacers pick who people think is going to have an advanced self-creation game at the NBA level. It's part of the reason that people have been down on this draft class. There are probably about 5 players in the draft that are excellent creators, and they all come with other big weaknesses or question marks (Topic and his shooting, Dillingham and his defence, etc.). And none of those guys would be available at the Pacers pick anyway.

Tristan rarely finishes above the rim and has struggled against length. Da Silva is definitely a little more twitchy and better on the ball, but their defence and shooting (again, I think Karaban is a better, more versatile shooter) is very similar. Their stats are almost identical across the board, and Karaban is a year younger. I will also say that every time I watched Colorado play, Tristan looked and plays smaller than his listed height. I think they measure out pretty similarly.

All that said, in a vacuum, I have Tristan over Karaban. But, I think you can get better value at the Pacers pick and fill 95% of what you want out of Tristan at 31 if you draft Karaban there. In both cases, you're getting a tall wing that can hit open jumpers, defend their man and work within Darko's system. Karaban has already shown he can do this.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#99 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:42 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

He looks like Pascal with more smoother game and obvious shot. Tristan doesn't rebound that well but does everything else as a SF/PF. Maybe Detlef Schremp? Could even be Franz Wagner with better 3pt shooting? :D

I would like to point out again that his brother played college ball and then German league and now with FC Barcelona. His brother is more of a traditional PF with worse stats in college. I would probably compare this prediction of success like Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris. I guess Markieff got drafted too, but positionally speaking I see Tristan succeeding.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#100 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:06 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
grant101 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:

At the Pacers pick, maybe Collier, Devin Carter, Carlton Carrington, or Mark Sears might be an option. If anyone wants to gamble that Tristan will be there at #31, go ahead.

Would the Knicks trade #22 and #25 for #17 and #31? Maybe they do this trade to draft Ware since Hartenstein might leave and get paid more than the MLE. They have to pay OG.

Return to Toronto Raptors