ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Sleeping on the Sixers?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

curryfries
Banned User
And1: 3

OT: Sleeping on the Sixers? 

Post#1 » by curryfries » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:05 pm

I thougth coming into the season that the Sixers would surprise some people and quietly come along and become a possible playoff team and lately with seemingly no one noticing the Sixers are indeed improving and sneaking up on alot fo eastern conference teams.

I believe its time this team gets a second look from fans and NBA teams before its to late and they are in and others are out of the playoffs.

They are sitting on 14-17 right now and I think they like the Pacers, Hawks, Cavs and us have a shot at this years playoffs.

Thoughts?
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,562

Re: OT: Sleeping on the Sixers? 

Post#2 » by TheRaptor! » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:07 pm

curryfries wrote:I thougth coming into the season that the Sixers would surprise some people and quietly come along and become a possible playoff team and lately with seemingly no one noticing the Sixers are indeed improving and sneaking up on alot fo eastern conference teams.

I believe its time this team gets a second look from fans and NBA teams before its to late and they are in and others are out of the playoffs.

They are sitting on 14-17 right now and I think they like the Pacers, Hawks, Cavs and us have a shot at this years playoffs.

Thoughts?

:sleep: yup
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,627

Post#3 » by Ackshun » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:08 pm

they have a lot of punch.

i hope thad young is avail. would love to see him in a raptors jers
curryfries
Banned User

Post#4 » by curryfries » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:10 pm

TheRaptor! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:sleep: yup

I remember last year around this time fans around the NBA were saying the same about us.

I just think they are an interesting young team with alot of talent and they are starting to buy into what Cheeks wants done.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,624

Post#5 » by Mak » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:11 pm

curryfries wrote:I thougth coming into the season that the Sixers would surprise some people and quietly come along and become a possible playoff team and lately with seemingly no one noticing the Sixers are indeed improving and sneaking up on alot fo eastern conference teams.

Thoughts?

Shot at the playoffs? Do not group cavs and raptors with the sixers. Sixers need everything to go right just to make the playoffs, while cavs and raptors just need to stay healthy.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:16 pm

On the postiive side, they've played some great defense (7th) and rebound the ball well.

But they've also played the 7th easiest schedule in the league thus far and have a nasty January sked ahead of them which should see them fall back down to earth quickly. Plus with Korver now out the door and Dre soon to follow, I wouldn't expect much more than 30 wins by the time the season ends.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#7 » by Schad » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:21 pm

Philly's wins:

Chicago, Charlotte, Portland (before they caught fire), Milwaukee, Washington, New York (x2), Houston, Minny, Cleveland, Memphis, Miami, Sacramento, Seattle.

With the exception of Houston and perhaps Cleveland, those aren't good teams; they have played the third weakest schedule to date. This month, Philly will get absolutely crushed...probably in the neighbourhood of 5-10, and enough to ensure that we can sleep on them until 2010.
**** your asterisk.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#8 » by SpaceJam » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:23 pm

Ive noticed for sure, for a team with limited talent they have been doing very well. Imagine how good they'll be with some GOOD guys surrounding Iggy, Dre2, Sammy D and Young?

But, i think they lost BIG time in the Korver deal...or did they?
_________
SpaceJam
Veteran

Post#9 » by SpaceJam » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:24 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:Philly's wins:

Chicago, Charlotte, Portland (before they caught fire), Milwaukee, Washington, New York (x2), Houston, Minny, Cleveland, Memphis, Miami, Sacramento, Seattle.

With the exception of Houston and perhaps Cleveland, those aren't good teams; they have played the third weakest schedule to date. This month, Philly will get absolutely crushed...probably in the neighbourhood of 5-10, and enough to ensure that we can sleep on them until 2010.

Portland??
_________
TheRaptor!
General Manager

Post#10 » by TheRaptor! » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:26 pm

curryfries wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I remember last year around this time fans around the NBA were saying the same about us.

I just think they are an interesting young team with alot of talent and they are starting to buy into what Cheeks wants done.

They've been sleepin for way too long, I'll wake up once they reach the 500. mark
TheRaptor!
General Manager

Post#11 » by TheRaptor! » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:27 pm

SpaceJam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Portland??

they sucked before the in streak.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#12 » by Schad » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:28 pm

SpaceJam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Portland??

As I mentioned, they beat Portland early in the season, when the Blazers were struggling. It was also on Philly's home court, and Portland is infinitely better at home than they are on the road (mark of a young team). Plus, it took one heck of an implosion by the Blazers...hard to give Philly a tonne of credit for that one.
**** your asterisk.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:34 pm

SpaceJam wrote:Ive noticed for sure, for a team with limited talent they have been doing very well. Imagine how good they'll be with some GOOD guys surrounding Iggy, Dre2, Sammy D and Young?

Young? He's is averging 4 ppg and barely plays? Doesn't that make him part of the problem not the solution?

But the Korver deal was a very good trade (for both teams) and was exactly what they needed. They gained first round draft pick and most importantly, they gain about $4 million in cap space this summer by losing Korver. They're going be the team that dictates the entire free-agent market this summer and they should have enough cap room to go after Gilbert Arenas, Elton Brand or perhaps both.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#14 » by LieCheatSteal » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:35 pm

Nope. Right now their on the "oh my God, my buddy BK got fired. I need to play better right now" kick. They'll be 20 games under .500 in no time.

And I live in Philadelphia.
Two years from being two years away.
SpaceJam
Veteran

Post#15 » by SpaceJam » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:35 pm

Lol, ya Portland really ate up the Sixers...wow talk about the ROY dunk on Sammy D and then Carney got ****** on by Travis.
_________
curryfries
Banned User

Post#16 » by curryfries » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:38 pm

SpaceJam wrote:Ive noticed for sure, for a team with limited talent they have been doing very well. Imagine how good they'll be with some GOOD guys surrounding Iggy, Dre2, Sammy D and Young?

I dont think they really have lack of talent, more so lack of experience and development but ever since the AI trade these players have gotten the time to develop their games and it began to show last year and now this year that they could have a nice future.

Remember this team won I believe 32 games last year after the AI trade and they seem to be carrying that success into this season.

Not saying they are a great team right now, but defenitely not a team anyone should be sleeping on, including us because in reality record wise they are nipping on our heels.

Tough scheduling could infact disrupt them, but again just like us last year teams may sleep on them and expect wins only to get spanked.
TheRaptor!
General Manager

Post#17 » by TheRaptor! » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:41 pm

curryfries wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I dont think they really have lack of talent, more so lack of experience and development but ever since the AI trade these players have gotten the time to develop their games and it began to show last year and now this year that they could have a nice future.

Remember this team won I believe 32 games last year after the AI trade and they seem to be carrying that success into this season.

Not saying they are a great team right now, but defenitely not a team anyone should be sleeping on, including us because in reality record wise they are nipping on our heels.

Tough scheduling could infact disrupt them, but again just like us last year teams may sleep on them and expect wins only to get spanked.

Another reason why we are sleeping on them is cause they lost to us... twice. They weren't even a threat, it was an automatic win in my books.
SpaceJam
Veteran

Post#18 » by SpaceJam » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:47 pm

Philly really has a weak team overall, they dont have chemistry either. They really do have limited young and overall talent. They have two good rebounders, but only one true offensive player. If they can get some guys to get off bench or better yet start to provide offence then they will be a better team.

And didnt Gilbert rip Iggy? Why would he go there and why would Philly want to go after him? :crazy:
_________
deknow
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#19 » by deknow » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm not sleeping on Philly but I continue to hit the snooze button. They are still a bottom feeder.
Hank_Scorpio
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#20 » by Hank_Scorpio » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:55 pm

Ackshun wrote:they have a lot of punch.

i hope thad young is avail. would love to see him in a raptors jers

Time out.

Why do people make these kinds of comments?

Why would Thad Young be available? Didn't the Sixers just draft him? Aren't they in a rebuilding mode?

Seriously - who lets people get away with comments like this?
Postbro1 wrote:Obama is right on this.

Return to Toronto Raptors