Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,831

Re: The Official 2023-2024 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#41 » by stitches » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:56 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Agreed. But he has a 50% chance of being right and we have about 24 hours to find out either way.

EDIT: But it would be really funny if after saying all this stuff in the video, Clarkson eventually opted in. I wounder what the Monty Show will have to say then.

I think the deadline is today so... we have about 14-15 hours or so. We might hear about it any moment now.

I like JC a lot but I think it's time to move on. Given his age and where the Jazz are in the rebuild process I'm not enthusiastic about giving him a new deal when he's looking to make around $20M per year at least. It's time to let go of the last relic of the Dennis Lindsey era.

I'm not sure this is what the FO is thinking. They seem to be loading the team for trying to be competitive this year.I am not sure they wouldn't give him what he wants... Especially since Ryan Smith seems to love him.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,472

Post#42 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:02 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:I think the deadline is today so... we have about 14-15 hours or so. We might hear about it any moment now.

I like JC a lot but I think it's time to move on. Given his age and where the Jazz are in the rebuild process I'm not enthusiastic about giving him a new deal when he's looking to make around $20M per year at least. It's time to let go of the last relic of the Dennis Lindsey era.

I'm not sure this is what the FO is thinking. They seem to be loading the team for trying to be competitive this year.I am not sure they wouldn't give him what he wants... Especially since Ryan Smith seems to love him.

Yep. Word is that Smith really likes Clarkson but locking him up long term might not be the best move. The saving grace in all this is that we have Ainge who is cold blooded and has shown he doesn't mind making ruthless decisions and trades so even if we signed Clarkson he might flip him down the road, but it's not ideal. Either way, it's going to be a very entertaining team next season.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#43 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:01 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:Monty show is not reliable source of information. I'd wait on more reputable source... :meditate:

Agreed. But he has a 50% chance of being right and we have about 24 hours to find out either way.

EDIT: But it would be really funny if after saying all this stuff in the video, Clarkson eventually opted in. I wounder what the Monty Show will have to say then.

I think the deadline is today so... we have about 14-15 hours or so. We might hear about it any moment now.

It was just reported that JC opted IN. Could mean they are working on an extension. May also lead to a sign and trade. We'll see.

Not sure how I feel about it. I really like a lot about JC, and don't want him leaving for nothing. But he doesn't fit the timeline, unless the team really feels that the 3 rookies + Collins (and maybe another move?) are putting the Jazz in line for a real playoff run.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,576

Post#44 » by dautjazz » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:02 pm

Clarkson opted in. We got a pretty good squad, if we don't purposely tank at the end, we should be a play-in team at the very least.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#45 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:09 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Agreed. But he has a 50% chance of being right and we have about 24 hours to find out either way.

It was just reported that JC opted IN. Could mean they are working on an extension. May also lead to a sign and trade. We'll see.

Not sure how I feel about it. I really like a lot about JC, and don't want him leaving for nothing. But he doesn't fit the timeline, unless the team really feels that the 3 rookies + Collins (and maybe another move?) are putting the Jazz in line for a real playoff run.

The Monty Show video about this should be entertaining as hell given what they said about this less than 24 hours ago. The backpedaling should be epic.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#46 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:11 pm

Clarkson exercised his $14.2 million player option for 2023-24 on Thursday, Sarah Todd of The Deseret News reports.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/jazzs-jordan-clarkson-remaining-in-utah/

Read on Twitter

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#47 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:18 pm

Olynyk also having his option picked up. I would think they have to trade him, but maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see using the #9 pick on Hendricks, trading for Collins (plus Jones also coming back) ... and still keeping Kelly.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#48 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:19 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Olynyk also having his option picked up. I would think they have to trade him, but maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see using the #9 pick on Hendricks, trading for Collins (plus Jones also coming back) ... and still keeping Kelly.

I imagine they'll both play together a lot in the second unit.

stitches
RealGM

Post#49 » by stitches » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:28 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Olynyk also having his option picked up. I would think they have to trade him, but maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see using the #9 pick on Hendricks, trading for Collins (plus Jones also coming back) ... and still keeping Kelly.

Just wait until you see us sign Grant Williams too...

To me everything the Jazz have done after selecting Hendricks suggests that they don't trust him to play... at least not right away. They are acting like he's a massive project, who should sit and learn rather than play...
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#50 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:31 pm

stitches wrote:

To me everything the Jazz have done after selecting Hendricks suggests that they don't trust him to play... at least not right away. They are acting like he's a massive project, who should sit and learn rather than play...

Is signing Grant Williams something that was brought up somewhere?

stitches
RealGM

Post#51 » by stitches » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:33 pm

About Clarkson... IMO this is either a sign that he didn't have much of a market in FA... and/or there is some sort of agreement with the Jazz that they will extend him soon.
stitches
RealGM

Post#52 » by stitches » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:37 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
stitches wrote:

Is signing Grant Williams something that was brought up somewhere?

Jake Fischer and Ben Anderson mentioned something but that was before we traded for John Collins... don't know if we still might have interest.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#53 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:58 pm

Clarkson, Sexton, George is probably the most remorseless and terrible passing backcourt of any non-tanking team in NBA history, lol.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#54 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:18 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Clarkson, Sexton, George is probably the most remorseless and terrible passing backcourt of any non-tanking team in NBA history, lol.

Can't argue with that. It's gonna be a fun team though.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,028

Post#55 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:20 pm

stitches wrote:About Clarkson... IMO this is either a sign that he didn't have much of a market in FA... and/or there is some sort of agreement with the Jazz that they will extend him soon.

Outside chance of a sign and trade, but most likely an extension.

The Jazz now have what appear to be three 6th man, from the bench microwave scorers in Clarkson, Sexton and Keyonte George. I wonder how that will work out.

Also, I wonder how long until Samanic and Vernon Carey are let go.

Is this the end of free agency for the Jazz, even before it technically starts?
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#56 » by bkohler » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:23 pm

stitches wrote:

To me, everything the Jazz have done after selecting Hendricks suggests that they don't trust him to play... at least not right away. They are acting like he's a massive project who should sit and learn rather than play...

I don't know If I agree; we've made one large roster move since drafting him in acquiring Collins, and while they play the same position, I think it was purely a value play. They see Collins as someone of value they could get on the cheap, and they needed to spend money somehow.

I don't see other moves as them not trusting him to play. They've said they really like Kelly, I see him taking the backup C minutes, and I also think they might view Hendricks as able to play the 3... which is why we have no viable backup three at the moment.

As an aside, I don't think most people have realized how punitive having a lot of cap space going into the season will be. If you don't get to the salary floor by the start of the season, or 90% of the salary cap, you do not get a Luxury tax payout for that season, amongst other things. So it's going to be rare for a team not to get very near the cap each year, which drastically diminishes the value of that cap space as a trade tool because teams know you're going to have to spend the money.

I think the days of getting good picks for taking on bad salary is probably, for the most part, a thing of the past.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,028

Post#57 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:11 pm

bkohler wrote:As an aside, I don't think most people have realized how punitive having a lot of cap space going into the season will be. If you don't get to the salary floor by the start of the season, or 90% of the salary cap, you do not get a Luxury tax payout for that season, amongst other things. So it's going to be rare for a team not to get very near the cap each year, which drastically diminishes the value of that cap space as a trade tool because teams know you're going to have to spend the money.

I think the days of getting good picks for taking on bad salary is probably, for the most part, a thing of the past.

A lot of this is true, I believe.

However, in the short term, the teams that are currently over or flirting with going over the 2nd tax apron will be desperate to shed salary, which could represent quality players. The Jazz are well positioned to take on that salary for expiring contracts. Even though their cap space is pretty much gone at this point, they have at $31M- $46M (if counting Clarkson) in expiring contracts to trade if the right opportunity comes along. Also, barring any trades, the Jazz will have a lot of cap space again next summer to take on players. They are well positioned.
stitches
RealGM

Post#58 » by stitches » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2303679

The trade:

UTA gets Malcolm Brogdon and BOS 2024 1st round pick
BOS gets Jordan Clarkson

Why for the Jazz: The Jazz clear up some redundancy in skillsets and add a more of a facilitator on the roster and they get a 1st round pick as compensation for difference in quality and for bringing Boston under the 2nd apron.
Why for the Celtics: They get under the 2nd apron and they get a certified 6th man type to lead their second unit.

Thoughts?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#59 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:38 pm

stitches wrote:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2303679

The trade:

UTA gets Malcolm Brogdon and BOS 2024 1st round pick
BOS gets Jordan Clarkson

Why for the Jazz: The Jazz clear up some redundancy in skillsets and add a more of a facilitator on the roster and they get a 1st round pick as compensation for difference in quality and for bringing Boston under the 2nd apron.
Why for the Celtics: They get under the 2nd apron and they get a certified 6th man type to lead their second unit.

Thoughts?

Not bad. It's basically another short-term rental as he's on the books for only two years. It does fill a need but the guy is averaging 57 games per season. He misses a lot of games. I'd be ok with it but not ecstatic.

bkohler
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#60 » by bkohler » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:50 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
bkohler wrote:As an aside, I don't think most people have realized how punitive having a lot of cap space going into the season will be. If you don't get to the salary floor by the start of the season, or 90% of the salary cap, you do not get a Luxury tax payout for that season, amongst other things. So it's going to be rare for a team not to get very near the cap each year, which drastically diminishes the value of that cap space as a trade tool because teams know you're going to have to spend the money.

A lot of this is true, I believe.

However, in the short term, the teams that are currently over or flirting with going over the 2nd tax apron will be desperate to shed salary, which could represent quality players. The Jazz are well positioned to take on that salary for expiring contracts. Even though their cap space is pretty much gone at this point, they have at $31M- $46M (if counting Clarkson) in expiring contracts to trade if the right opportunity comes along. Also, barring any trades, the Jazz will have a lot of cap space again next summer to take on players. They are well positioned.

Oh, definitely think that there will be teams desperate to dump players this year to get under the apron and give up decent players to do so. I just don't think they'll be paying with picks to move them.

Return to Utah Jazz