2023 Trade Rumors

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,028

2023 Trade Rumors 

Post#1 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:54 pm

It's that time of year again, might as well have a thread to discuss these as I am sure the Jazz will be mentioned a lot the next few weeks.

The most recent I've seen is with Hawks. Something along the lines of Clarkson, Gay, (Edit: Sexton, not Beasely), Vando for Murray, Collins and pick (routed Nets first). Personally, I would be all in on this trade. Doesn't help the tank, but does get players who have been border line All Stars and that are only in their mid-20s, right on the timeline of the Jazz.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Re: 2023 Trade Rumors 

Post#2 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:14 pm

I'd definitely pass on Collins. A poor fit next to Markkanen.

It's PG we should be going after first (among others). If it has to be PF, rather someone who can play hard D in the paint.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,079

Post#3 » by mg » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:35 pm

I believe there is 0% chance the Hawks trade Murray at this point especially after the war chest of assets they just traded for him.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,079

Post#4 » by mg » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:45 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:I'd definitely pass on Collins. A poor fit next to Markkanen.

It's PG we should be going after first (among others). If it has to be PF, rather someone who can play hard D in the paint.

I don't think fit is going to be the biggest concern with Ainge at this stage of a rebuild. They are not a contender that needs to worry about fit yet. Ainge is still trying to acquire assets.

At some point I believe he will go all in to bring in a star but for this deadline I'd be fine if he acquires future assets (picks, young players with unrealized potential, distressed players that can be rehabilitated, etc).

I also think Collins would be fine playing next to Markkanen and Kessler.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 983

Post#5 » by red4hf » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:07 am

Get Fultz and have Conley mentor him......
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,757

Post#6 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:42 am

red4hf wrote:Get Fultz and have Conley mentor him......

Is he even an NBA player?
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 983

Post#7 » by red4hf » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:42 am

AingesBurner wrote:
red4hf wrote:Get Fultz and have Conley mentor him......

Is he even an NBA player?

He has been lately......
D Rog
Junior
And1: 84

Post#8 » by D Rog » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:51 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:It's that time of year again, might as well have a thread to discuss these as I am sure the Jazz will be mentioned a lot the next few weeks.

The most recent I've seen is with Hawks. Something along the lines of Clarkson, Gay, (Edit: Sexton, not Beasely), Vando for Murray, Collins and pick (routed Nets first). Personally, I would be all in on this trade. Doesn't help the tank, but does get players who have been border line All Stars and that are only in their mid-20s, right on the timeline of the Jazz.

I saw Jazz and ATL talking Collins. Where did you see Jazz looking at Murray? Link?
I would love something like that deal.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:31 pm

D Rog wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:It's that time of year again, might as well have a thread to discuss these as I am sure the Jazz will be mentioned a lot the next few weeks.

I saw Jazz and ATL talking Collins. Where did you see Jazz looking at Murray? Link?

It was on Twitter, but i doubt Utah values Murray like ATL does.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,713

Post#10 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:35 pm

NBA Rumuors: Clippers Have Trade Interest in Mike Conley
https://hoopshype.com/rumor/clippers-have-trade-interest-in-mike-conley/

Trading for Conley makes some sense for the Clippers if they believe Kawhi can get to the playoffs to compete for a title. Conley is a much more skilled playmaker than Terance Mann or Reggie Jackson. And backup John Wall just went down with an injury.

FWIW, Kawhi played big minutes the last four games: 36.1 mpg, while averaging 29 ppg on 19.8 fga.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#11 » by pickIBL » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:55 pm

Conley age 35. Clarkson 30. Olynyk 31. All these guys you'd think are available. Sexton is a little younger than Beasley and seems to score a little more efficiently and pass a little better. So I understand Beasley on the block.

I'm not sure exactly how John Collins and his contract fits into this. But I agree that you'd need a pick to take on his contract. But can utah get compensation without that bloated deal?
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,472

Post#12 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:15 pm

Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#13 » by pickIBL » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:56 pm

The whole damn realgm news feed is jazz, jazz, jazz
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,472

Post#14 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:09 pm

pickIBL wrote:The whole damn realgm news feed is jazz, jazz, jazz

Half of it is Ainge doing his thing, the other half is Atlanta being desperate.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#15 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:The whole damn realgm news feed is jazz, jazz, jazz

Half of it is Ainge doing his thing, the other half is Atlanta being desperate.

Yep, Ainge and Zanik are killing it right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if Clarkson is the only veteran remaining on the team.
Ingles is cooked.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#16 » by pickIBL » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:42 pm

Then Kemba comes in for the big playoff push lol
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:55 pm

D Rog wrote:

Not a reliable source. Yeah, I don't see the Hawks giving up Murray right now.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:53 am

Crunch 99 wrote:NBA Rumuors: Clippers Have Trade Interest in Mike Conley
https://hoopshype.com/rumor/clippers-have-trade-interest-in-mike-conley/

Trading for Conley makes some sense for the Clippers if they believe Kawhi can get to the playoffs ready to compete for a title. Conley is a much more skilled playmaker than Terance Mann or Reggie Jackson. And backup John Wall just went down with an injury.

FWIW, Kawhi played big minutes the last four games: 36.1 mpg, while averaging 29 ppg on 19.8 fga.

Unless it is a Jazz tank move, it is hard for me to see what the Clippers give up for Conley (they would probably dangle Wall and/or Reggie Jackson and/or maybe Batum). Perhaps this could be part of a 3-4 team trade?
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#19 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:55 pm

Looking at the most recent posted rumors.

The Clippers/Conley trade idea is hard to make work, due to Mike's contract. The Clips have R.Jackson & Wall at PG already, and don't have much to offer in expiring contracts (outside of Jackson, who I don't see them trading for Conley).

LAC get: Conley (2 yr, $23m), Fontecchio (2 yr, $3m)
Utah gets: Covington (2 yr, $12m), Batum (2 yr, $11m), 2nd round pick
.... the Jazz would then need to flip at least one of them (likely Batum), but at least would have an easier time moving them than Conley's huge contract. They'd get some needed front-court depth, and defensive help with Covington, but be thin at PG with combo-guards Sexton and NAW being the only decent PG options left on the roster.

LAC get: Conley (2 yr, $23m), Azabuke (2 yr, $2m), 2nd round pick
Utah gets: Covington (2 yr, $12m), Wall (2 yr, $6m), Coffee (1 yr, $3m)
... maybe they flip someone, or perhaps they hold onto all 3 guys, and Wall becomes a cheaper vet mentor-type?

Or, my favorite (and most unlikely) option...
LAC get: Conley (2 yr, $23m), Gay (2 yr, $6m), Juzang (2-way, 1 year $0.5m), 2nd round pick
Utah gets: Covington (2 yr, $12m), Wall (2 yr, $6m), Coffee (1 yr, $3m), Preston (2 yr, $1.5m)
... if the Jazz find a way to dump Gay, it's my favorite trade. lol

Really, I can't imagine them getting a deal done without a 3rd team, but it's still fun to play with the trade machine & see what is possible.

For the Cavs/Jazz/Hawks rumor, the options are multiple, but one I could see working is something like this...

UT gets: Collins (4 yr, $23m), Kaminsky (1 yr, $2m)
CLE gets: Beasley (2 yr, $16m), Gay (2 yr, $6m), 2nd round pick from Atlanta
ATL gets: LeVert (1 yr, $19m), Olynyk (2 yr, $12m), protect 1st round pick or swap from Utah

The Jazz get Collins, who they seem to covet and is the best player in the trade. They also get Kaminsky to play a low-key Olynyk-role, behind Kessler. (Bonus: the Jazz free Kessler, with Kelly out of the picture.)

Cleveland swaps out LeVert for Beasley. Beasley helps their need for shooting and fits better than LeVert does with ball-dominant Garland & Mitchell. They also nab an Atlanta 2nd round pick for taking on the net-negative Rudy Gay.

Atlanta finalizes the inevitable divorce from Collins. They get a good player on a valuable expiring contract, in LeVert. They also land Olynyk, who can plug and play nicely next to Capella, and is likely be a 25mpg bench player for them at PF/C.

Utah and Atlanta both seem to think THEY should be the one getting a pick in Collins trade, however, I think that's a reach for Utah, when they are getting "the prize" (Collins). I think the Jazz become more willing to part with some version of late 1st rounder/swap, because they are able to get rid of Gay's negative value in this deal, along with getting Collins.

Just for fun, let's go with Clipper trade #2 + the Collins trade. New Jazz roster:

PG: Wall, Sexton/NAW, Bolmaro
SG: Clarkson, Sexton/NAW, Agbaji/THT, Coffee
SF: Markkanen, Agbaji/THT, Fontechhio
PF: Collins, Covington, Vanderbilt
C: Kessler, Kaminsky (Vanderbilt, Collins &/or Markkanen likely play some C, as well)
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#20 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:34 pm

Just read this idea (not a rumor), elsewhere. Pretty sure it's written by a Laker fan (and not a Warrior fan, because they seem to get the worst of the deal, IMO), but I'll still dissect it a bit.

Los Angeles Lakers Receive: Jordan Clarkson, Collin Sexton, Kevon Looney
Golden State Warriors Receive: Jarred Vanderbilt, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Talen Horton-Tucker
Utah Jazz Receive: Russell Westbrook, Jonathan Kuminga, Moses Moody, 2027 First-Round Pick (LAL), 2029 First-Round Pick (LAL)

This is a definitive tank-trade-idea for the Jazz. It does land them a couple picks, but they are years away. Kuminga ('21 #7 pick) would add a nice young player to the Jazz front court. However, even with adding Moody ('21 #14 pick) to the team, this trade basically removed every guard on the team other than Conley & Beasley, which (even for a tank) seems pretty nuts, unless you believe the Jazz would actually keep/play Westbrook. (Bolmaro becomes a major contributor and the team has no 3rd ballhandler.)

PG: Conley, Bolmaro (Westbrook?)
SG: Beasley, Moody
SF: Markannen, Agbaji, Fontecchio, Juzang
PF: Kuminga, Gay, Potter (Olynyk could play here with Kessler)
C: Olynyk, Kessler, Azabuke

... it's pretty ugly, but would appease the tank-gods, I'm sure. More minutes for young guys, more losses on the horizon, and more picks (albeit not for 4+ years).

Return to Utah Jazz