Back up Centers & Point Guards, available?

Moderators: Inigo Montoya, FJS

Da110n0rcutt
Junior
And1: 0

Back up Centers & Point Guards, available? 

Post#1 » by Da110n0rcutt » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:35 am

These are a list of back up centers and point guards that I think we could potentially get:

Here's what we have to offer
UTAH: Jarron Collins - $2.35 million/2 years, Jason Hart - $2.3 million/1 year, and Ronnie Price - $1.1 million/2 years

Atlanta: Lorenzen Wright - $3.25 million/1 year & Tyronn Lue $3.5 million/1 year
Utah: Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, and Ronnie Price

Golden State: Patrick O'Bryant - $2.21 million/1 year
Utah: Jason Hart or Jarron Collins

Indiana: David Harrison - $1.73 million/1 year & Travis Diener $1.5 million/2 years
Utah: Jarron Collins and Ronnie Price OR Jason Hart and Ronnie Price

L.A. Clippers: Aaron Williams - $1.89 million/1 year & Sam Cassell $6.15 million/1 year
Utah: Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, and Ronnie Price

Milwaukee: Dan Gadzuric - $5.75 million/4 years & Royal Ivey - $770,610/1 year
Utah: Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, and Ronnie Price OR Jarron Collins and Jason Hart

New York: Randolph Morris - $810,000/1 year & Fred Jones - $3.3 million/1 year
Utah: Jarron Collins and Jason Hart OR Jason Hart and Ronnie Price OR Jarron Collins and Ronnie Price

Orlando: Adonal Foyle - $1.22 million/1 year & Keyon Dooling - $3.6 million/1 year
Utah: Jarron Collins and Jason Hart OR Jason Hart and Ronnie Price OR Jarron Collins and Ronnie Price OR Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, and Ronnie Price

Philadelphia: Calvin Booth - $1.1 million/1 year
Utah: Jarron Collins OR Jason Hart OR Ronnie Price

Phoneix: Sean Marks - $770,610/1 year & Marcus Banks - $4 million/4 years
Utah: Jarron Collins and Jason Hart OR Jason Hart and Ronnie Price OR Jarron Collins and Ronnie Price OR Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, and Ronnie Price

Seattle: Johan Petro - $1.1 million/2 years & Earl Watson - $5.8 million/3 years or Delonte West - $1.9 million/1 year
Utah: (For Petro & Watson) Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, and Ronnie Price OR (For Petro and West) Jarron Collins and Jason Hart OR Jarron Collins and Ronnie Price

Now I know some of these guys aren't who you have in mind but I just looked at all the depth charts and they just seem like guys the teams are willing to trade and that fit the salaries wise that we would be giving up. I just don't really seeing anyone take on Harpring's contract so thats why I didn't inlcude him or I would of included one with Miami for Jason Williams and Joel Anthony. So who do you think if we were to make a move who would it be or do you have your own ideas, if so give them to me I just want to get what you think might be the answers to our weaknesses and they might not be the exact answers but maybe a little upgrade.
“We’re a playoff team, just not a championship team..I think we still need a couple more pieces and until we get those pieces.." - Deron Williams
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Duiz » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:01 am

OMFG!!! I would love to talk about this, but just like Kobe Bryant and his 81 point night, I don't think Da110n0rcutt is going to stop shooting threads.

Even after loserx has said that trades are to be posted into the one thread.
Da110n0rcutt
Junior

dude 

Post#3 » by Da110n0rcutt » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:20 am

Dude, settle down, this is more of a broad subject. I want your ideas as to if oyu think we can settle the back up point and center, but no you got start grippin and moaning about how you don't know what to post cause I came up with your idea, so how do we resolve the back up point and center?
“We’re a playoff team, just not a championship team..I think we still need a couple more pieces and until we get those pieces.." - Deron Williams
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#4 » by CAE15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:01 am

Watson or Sam I am, I wouldnt mind.

Freddy Jones is no Point thats for sure.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#5 » by loserX » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:42 pm

The problem is that most of these options are so lateral that they make no sense for us (and frequently the other team). The Atlanta package, for instance, is no improvement over what we have.

Of all the centres you name, the only ones that interest me would be David Harrison (who has looked good this year and won't be traded) and Adonal Foyle (who is at least a physical shotblocker), and of the PGs, really only Watson.
Da110n0rcutt
Junior

my point 

Post#6 » by Da110n0rcutt » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:18 pm

my point exactly...is what everyone wants to trade is going to get us the same in return...thats why we have to mix it up a little and make our team alot deeper, what do the good teams out West have not just couple good shooters but 5 or 6, please just don't tell me you think C.J. Miles or AK-47 are good shooters cause everyone on this board cringes when they see those two shoot, Kirilenko will come back to Earth and realize he really isn't a 60% 3PT shooter of last 10 games, and really C.J. Miles is not going to become a great player or outside shooter trust me, he sucks and will always suck, why do you think he was in the D-League the past two seasons, because he should be there now. so, mix it up a little, its not time to just be patient and see if this works itself out cause you can't tell me with the roster we have now that we are going to even sniff a championship, I think thats what were aiming for right, not just to be runner-up everytime, correct?

so, those of you who get after me for annoucing trades its not because I really think they're are going to go down I want your input, but you can't tell me we wouldn't be dangerous with Nocioni on one wing and Korver on the other, proven players that as we can see for Korver and what I have seen in Nocioni they play smart defense and play hard every single play, not to mention their stellar outside shooting, then to have Chris Duhon backing up D-Will would be terrific and reunite the Dukies (Boozer & Duhon), and at last we all talk about getting someone with an inside presence well Joe Smith isn't the best but we're not going to get the best but he would be better then what we have, so let go of someone that maybe precious to us (AK) and make our team much deeper, to make a run for a "championship".
loserX
And1: 26,047

Re: my point 

Post#7 » by loserX » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:25 pm

Da110n0rcutt wrote:so, those of you who get after me for annoucing trades its not because I really think they're are going to go down I want your input, but you can't tell me we wouldn't be dangerous with Nocioni on one wing and Korver on the other, proven players that as we can see for Korver and what I have seen in Nocioni they play smart defense and play hard every single play, not to mention their stellar outside shooting, then to have Chris Duhon backing up D-Will would be terrific and reunite the Dukies (Boozer & Duhon), and at last we all talk about getting someone with an inside presence well Joe Smith isn't the best but we're not going to get the best but he would be better then what we have, so let go of someone that maybe precious to us (AK) and make our team much deeper, to make a run for a "championship".

Yeah, but every trade looks good when you focus only on the positives of the guys we acquire, and only the negatives of the guys we send out.

Nocioni is a better (at least more reliable) 3-point shooter than Kirilenko...that doesn't mean we should trade Kirilenko for him. We need AK's shotblocking and playmaking abilities, which Nocioni doesn't have. (AK is also the closest thing we have to a post defender.)

I guess I just don't think we need to tear half the team apart yet. We played very well last year with almost the same roster...we've made one tweak in Korver, and I'd like to make another one to get a backup C, and see how that goes. Let's try to plug the leaks before rebuilding the whole boat.
Da110n0rcutt
Junior

Nocioni 

Post#8 » by Da110n0rcutt » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:46 pm

Chris Palmer, ESPN Mag: The most physical perimeter defender in the league (Nocioni). Will lead the league in drawing technical fouls. Just plain annoys people.

Jack Ramsay, ESPN Radio: This bulldog (Nocioni) loves the challenge ... strong and tough.

Tell me how this doesn't help our situation with perimeter defense and Sloan would just love this guy. I think it replace AK's D presences, along with Joe Smith can block shots, he averages 1 block in the last five games and Nocioni averages 1 block shot also in the last 5 games.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#9 » by CAE15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:09 pm

Nocioni is great but not at the cost of AK.
Jazzfan Bayamon
Veteran

Post#10 » by Jazzfan Bayamon » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:41 pm

I don't think we'll be able to trade Collins because he isn't an expiring and he basically SUCKS so NO ONE will want to play over 2 M for him next year. The only way I see him leaving is as filler in a package type deal.

On the other hand, Hart IS an expiring (according to the OP) so we might be able to trade him to a team wanting to lower it's payroll, albeit, not much. I don't think we need or have to trade Price, and doubt a team will be that interested in him.

So, basically as we do have an open roster spot, I'd really consider bringing in Hoffa for wherever the hell he is to be our 3rd C (and maybe, even maybe have a chance to beat Collins for that backup C spot) seeing as Fes is not yet ready and is facing a prolonged stay in Orem due to the fact that he can't go back if he is re-called.

It is a fact that Sloan was happy with his performance in practice last year, and given that he'd be something of a "team vet", he'd have more leverage in Sloan's mind. He never lacked work ethic or energy so I doubt he'd hurt our team.

Right now our bigman rotation is:

Boozer
(and injured and not 100%) Okur
Millsap
Collins
(some of) AK (also hurt)

NOT one of those guys is 7', AK's a SF and both Boozer and Millsap are undersized AT THE 4!!!

Hoffa, although not 7 ft. is MUCH bigger than both Okur and Collins, and would give us more frontline depth (as he did last year) than now. Like I said, I don't think we can count on Fess in our depth chart because of the D-league restrictions and without him, we are just embarasingly THIN in the front court.

I doubt Hoffa's size, strength and energy could hurt us more than having Collins as our ONLY backup C does.
Siempre con mi isla del encanto!!
d-will8
Pro Prospect
And1: 8

Post#11 » by d-will8 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:18 pm

A couple things:
1) If you've watched the way AK's played this year, you should have remembered just how talented the guy is, what he's capable of and how much he means to the team. If the Bulls offered the trade you proposed, I would have to reject it emphatically, because while he is a good, physical defender and a solid three point shooter, Nocioni is a HUGE downgrade from AK in terms of both talent and impact, we don't have much need for Smith and while I would like someone like Duhon to be our backup point guard, this package is not enough to trade one of the most unique, versatile and multi-talented players in the league.
2) Part of the reason for this is that outside shooting is no longer a problem on this team, so it shouldn't be much of a consideration when looking at trades. Korver, Memo, C.J., Deron and even AK can shoot the long ball.
I certainly don't cringe when I watch C.J. shoot. If you ever watched the kid shoot, you know he has a great looking shot and that he can stroke it with plenty of range. The reason that he's just starting to consistently hit threes in games is because he is finally starting to gain the confidence that comes with consistent minutes. He's got plenty of talent and he's finally starting to realize his potential. He does not suck. He's just a young player who is finally getting a real chance to contribute and is doing his best to make the most of it.
As for AK's shot, I'll admit it made me cringe last year and at the beginning of this one, but you can see the difference that the work he's done with Hornacek has made. It's huge. He's got a lot of confidence, he doesn't hesitate to shoot and, as a result, he's making a lot of outside shots. His shot also looks like less of a fling than it has. It looks a lot more fluid. No, he probably won't continue to shoot as well as he has the last couple games, but if you remember his all-star season, you know that when he's confident and feels comfortable putting up shots, he's nowhere near as bad of a shooter as he was last year.
BiggMann
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#12 » by BiggMann » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:43 pm

Seattle: Johan Petro - $1.1 million/2 years & Earl Watson - $5.8 million/3 years or Delonte West - $1.9 million/1 year
Utah: (For Petro & Watson) Jarron Collins, Jason Hart, and Ronnie Price OR (For Petro and West) Jarron Collins and Jason Hart OR Jarron Collins and Ronnie Price

Petro and West would be PERFECT!

Collins, Hart and Price for Petro and West.
Bye Bye Sloan, Good Riddance Deron. Hello new Era in Jazz Basketball.
ColdBlue
Assistant Coach
And1: 16

Post#13 » by ColdBlue » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:18 am

Nobody is going to trade for Collins and Hart. We are stuck with them, if we want a back up PG/C then we will have to trade value.

I wonder if Harpring has any value left?
Pappyman
Junior

Post#14 » by Pappyman » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:51 am

the only thing that i think we could get seattle to agree to would be the jason hart/jarron collins trade for earl watson. he would be an excellent back up for deron.

Return to Utah Jazz