2023 Summer League - Cason Wallace, and Chet's return

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,667

Re: 2023 Summer League - Cason Wallace, and Chet's return 

Post#41 » by Devilanche » Tue Jul 4, 2023 7:20 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Devilanche wrote:For all those worried about Dieng performance do remember that he seemed to have had a growth spurt so it might take him a while to get used to playing with his new height . From 6’9” to 7’.

Pretty sure that was a meme. He’s certainly not 7’.

He did look taller to me though but maybe not 7’.

Edit - the official roster measure him at 6’10 so damn that shouldn’t have impact him at all .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#42 » by jake_swivel » Tue Jul 4, 2023 7:22 pm

Devilanche wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
Devilanche wrote:For all those worried about Dieng performance do remember that he seemed to have had a growth spurt so it might take him a while to get used to playing with his new height . From 6’9” to 7’.

Potter and Samanic are both listed at 6’10 and he wasn’t taller than either of them.

I don’t like how Dieng has ever moved. He’s never felt real fluid even in his nbdl clips. I’m not holding my breath on him or Poku.
Zagor
Junior
And1: 120

Post#43 » by Zagor » Tue Jul 4, 2023 8:18 pm

At least, it seems his defense is above average for that age, especially transition defense. Also rebounding seems solid.

But on offensive side, it is very bad. He seems lost and like he is in lower gear than his teammates.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#44 » by jake_swivel » Tue Jul 4, 2023 8:30 pm

Zagor wrote:At least, it seems his defense is above average for that age, especially transition defense. Also rebounding seems solid.

I haven’t noticed him a whole lot on defense, which generally means he’s a solid team defender. It also means he isn’t really disrupting anything, which is what is really valuable to a team that wants who wants transition buckets. He’s long. It’d be nice for him to get those long arms in the passing lanes.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,561

Post#45 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Jul 4, 2023 8:37 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Potter and Samanic are both listed at 6’10 and he wasn’t taller than either of them.

I don’t like how Dieng has ever moved. He’s never felt real fluid even in his nbdl clips. I’m not holding my breath on him or Poku.

I guess it depends on what you are expecting. I see his upside as a better shooting Taj Gibson. A solid big off the bench that can be a low end starter when an injury pops up. I'm not expecting him to be a star player and rather he is in OKC after his rookie contract depends on how fast he develops and what other teams offer in RFA.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,344

Post#46 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 8:39 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
Devilanche wrote:He did look taller to me though but maybe not 7’.

I guess it depends on what you are expecting. I see his upside as a better shooting Taj Gibson. A solid big off the bench that can be a low end starter when an injury pops up. I'm not expecting him to be a star player and rather he is in OKC after his rookie contract depends on how fast he develops and what other teams offer in RFA.

At this point I'm super happy if he can have the same impact as prime Taj Gibson.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by jake_swivel » Tue Jul 4, 2023 8:47 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:I guess it depends on what you are expecting. I see his upside as a better shooting Taj Gibson. A solid big off the bench that can be a low end starter when an injury pops up. I'm not expecting him to be a star player and rather he is in OKC after his rookie contract depends on how fast he develops and what other teams offer in RFA.

Taj Gibson was tougher than we have any right to expect Dieng to become. It was a primary attribute for Taj. If you mean Taj’s general level of impact, I’d be psyched if Dieng got there. Taj was one of my favorite Bulls. Always solid, never a weak link on the floor. Knew his role. Rebounded, did the dirty work.

I don’t even know what plus skill Dieng is trying to develop. I think he should focus on being a terror in transition, cutting to the basket, and roaming the baseline. Not sure trying to be a creator on offense is going to work for him, though that is what was being preached as his best skill pre-draft.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 717

Post#48 » by The Servant » Tue Jul 4, 2023 9:04 pm

I would really like to see Presti clear out some of the scrubs this year. We are no longer tanking and I wouldn't mind seeing the team move on from Mann and Poku completely, just get them off the roster and pick up a defensive big. I'd really like to see Presti start making some moves, I think this team can come online way faster than we think (already had 40 wins last year, could say they ARE online) and maybe it's time to stop sitting back with 7 to 10 year plan lmao.

I hope he doesn't put too much faith into project players and gives them suitable roles or finds suitable replacements. I am still patient but it looks like some of these prospects aren't going to pan out, and that's ok. There is a wealth of talent, just needs a couple complimentary pieces and LETS GO!
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#49 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 9:09 pm

The Servant wrote:I would really like to see Presti clear out some of the scrubs this year. We are no longer tanking and I wouldn't mind seeing the team move on from Mann and Poku completely, just get them off the roster and pick up a defensive big. I'd really like to see Presti start making some moves, I think this team can come online way faster than we think (already had 40 wins last year, could say they ARE online) and maybe it's time to stop sitting back with 7 to 10 year plan lmao.

I hope he doesn't put too much faith into project players and gives them suitable roles or finds suitable replacements. I am still patient but it looks like some of these prospects aren't going to pan out, and that's ok. There is a wealth of talent, just needs a couple complimentary pieces and LETS GO!

I think it's a long shot but Poku deserves a chance. He was pretty decent before he broke his leg. Mann is likely gone yeah.

I want us to move a bigger move but I think the only additions for next season will be Micic/Cason/Chet.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,561

Post#50 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Jul 4, 2023 9:23 pm

jake_swivel wrote:Taj Gibson was tougher than we have any right to expect Dieng to become. It was a primary attribute for Taj. If you mean Taj’s general level of impact, I’d be psyched if Dieng got there. Taj was one of my favorite Bulls. Always solid, never a weak link on the floor. Knew his role. Rebounded, did the dirty work.

I don’t even know what plus skill Dieng is trying to develop. I think he should focus on being a terror in transition, cutting to the basket, and roaming the baseline. Not sure trying to be a creator on offense is going to work for him, though that is what was being preached as his best skill pre-draft.

Keep in mind that Taj was 24 when he entered the NBA. Dieng can still get tougher as he is only 20 and will not turn 21 until the playoffs in 2024! Dieng's best attribute should be his defense. Dieng should become a solid 3&D big man with plus passing and ball handling for PF that can cover C situationally. He should have been in the g-league last year and this year, but due to the terrible job Presti has done with roster construction they can't leave him in the g-league because they need big men on the NBA roster. A big man rotation of Chet, Jaylin, JRE and Poku doesn't work and even playing Jalen and Giddy out of position at PF doesn't eliminate the need for keeping Dieng on the roster to play a chunk of minutes at PF/C.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by jake_swivel » Tue Jul 4, 2023 9:45 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Keep in mind that Taj was 24 when he entered the NBA. Dieng can still get tougher as he is only 20 and will not turn 21 until the playoffs in 2024! Dieng's best attribute should be his defense. Dieng should become a solid 3&D big man with plus passing and ball handling for PF that can cover C situationally. He should have been in the g-league last year and this year, but due to the terrible job Presti has done with roster construction they can't leave him in the g-league because they need big men on the NBA roster. A big man rotation of Chet, Jaylin, JRE and Poku doesn't work and even playing Jalen and Giddy out of position at PF doesn't eliminate the need for keeping Dieng on the roster to play a chunk of minutes at PF/C.

I’ve watched a lot of Taj Gibson. A lot. They are fundamentally different players. Taj is a trash man in the best sense of the moniker. Love him. Very little ball handling, basic passing, tough defense down low with some switchability. Developed a functional face up jumper a few years in. Dieng will not be and should not try to be Taj Gibson. I don’t know what Dieng will become, but it won’t be that.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by jake_swivel » Tue Jul 4, 2023 10:08 pm

JDub: 6’5.75 in shoes
JWill: 6’8.75 in shoes
Chet: ?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,990

Post#53 » by Xatticus » Wed Jul 5, 2023 12:22 am

jake_swivel wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:I guess it depends on what you are expecting. I see his upside as a better shooting Taj Gibson. A solid big off the bench that can be a low end starter when an injury pops up. I'm not expecting him to be a star player and rather he is in OKC after his rookie contract depends on how fast he develops and what other teams offer in RFA.

Taj Gibson was tougher than we have any right to expect Dieng to become. It was a primary attribute for Taj. If you mean Taj’s general level of impact, I’d be psyched if Dieng got there. Taj was one of my favorite Bulls. Always solid, never a weak link on the floor. Knew his role. Rebounded, did the dirty work.

It's tabula rasa for me. Dieng is long and tall and not a stiff. I don't think Presti really looks at guys deterministically. I think he just sees guys with upside and tracks their developmental curves. Dieng is a guy that clearly improved over the course of his season in Australia and he has the physical tools to find a place in the NBA. I don't know what the finished product is going to look like, but I know it won't be Taj Gibson. Dieng will never have that kind of strength.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,856

Post#54 » by Clav » Wed Jul 5, 2023 6:22 pm

If Dieng can harness some mid-career Hedo Turkoglu play, he'd be a lot more effective. I guess, the things I think of with Hedo were he was active in finding cuts, he had handles and passing, he wasn't always taking 3s [when he did he was a pretty good shooter].

Turkoglu developed his full-court play a bit later in his career, so patience is probably the best course of action here.

It might be a valuable archetype for Dieng to aim for, I'm sure there's loads he's working on right now, hopefully it takes hold.

One thing positive to say about Dieng is that his shooting form is very smooth, the shot wasn't falling on Monday but there's no reason to believe that he'll be a poor shooter for his career.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#55 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#56 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 11:58 pm

Read on Twitter
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:14 am

Chet starts fast breaks with seemingly no idea that there are three dudes that are way faster than him behind him. Just pass it, bro.
Big nick
Senior
And1: 355

Post#58 » by Big nick » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:43 am

I just don't see any future in dieng I don't think he will be as good as Baz. But Mann is starting to make me eat my words he looks pretty good this summer.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#59 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:58 am

Almost 4 months for Chet to be in shape...not worried at all as long as he stays healthy.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#60 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:03 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Almost 4 months for Chet to be in shape...not worried at all as long as he stays healthy.

Yep, he’s a game changer on defense. There was a stretch where Memphis didn’t want to do anything with the lane because of Chet and that’s when okc made its run. The big team doesn’t need him leading the break or try to run the offense. If he focuses on what he’s good at, he’ll be a walking double double with 2.5 blocks and that’s exactly what they need. He’s addicted to dribbling right now, and I have to imagine that ends in October.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder