OKC Thunder 2022-23 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,809

Re: OKC Thunder 2022-23 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#61 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:03 am

BlockCity wrote:
kdthunderup wrote:I would be happy to get around the 10th seed for this season. I feel it's more important to start seeing momentum building towards winning. Another season of pure tanking would likely see the rumour mill go into overdrive with SGA wanting out.
I agree. We've got to either:

1) Believe in a SGA, Chet, Giddey, Dort core and try to develop and grow with it

2) Extend out this rebuild and trade SGA and Dort and keep trying to find a cornerstone

I like option 1. I believe in Chet and SGA.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If it helps, I am a Wolves fan with a soft spot for OKC, and I believe in it too. But I wonder if it takes another 2 years to hit its stride?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,341

Post#62 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:50 am

winforlose wrote:
kdthunderup wrote:I would be happy to get around the 10th seed for this season. I feel it's more important to start seeing momentum building towards winning. Another season of pure tanking would likely see the rumour mill go into overdrive with SGA wanting out.

I have a question about this. Indiana seems poised to do what OKC did which is bring in a talented young PG, tank, then max them and exit the rebuild with the talented young PG as the cornerstone. Knowing now how this would all play out, do you trade SGA last year or even this year for more young talent (maybe a rookie scale future max player?) Or, do you do it the same way and trust SGA to be the cornerstone alongside Chet and either Giddy or a third star you bring in?

I am on 100% on board with keeping SGA. He might be the cornerstone or he might not. I believe he can be has impactful as prime lillard. That’s a bit below prime Curry, Durant and Lebron but still really good. How good would Portland have been with a bettering roster? I firmly believe okc’s best chance at building a contender isn’t drafting 3 mvps but assembling a team similar to the 04 Pistons or the 14 spurs.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
BlockCity
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#63 » by BlockCity » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:10 am

winforlose wrote:
BlockCity wrote:
I agree. We've got to either:

1) Believe in a SGA, Chet, Giddey, Dort core and try to develop and grow with it

2) Extend out this rebuild and trade SGA and Dort and keep trying to find a cornerstone

I like option 1. I believe in Chet and SGA.

If it helps, I am a Wolves fan with a soft spot for OKC, and I believe in it too. But I wonder if it takes another 2 years to hit its stride?
Oh I think it'll take at least 2 years. Chet and Giddey are still both so raw.

We just need to try and compete for 82 games if we believe in what we have. Not for 40 or 50 games then play 10 day contract guys for the last 6 weeks of the season.

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:27 pm

On the Friday down to dunk podcast they read a question from a listener and made mention of the fact that this particular person made extensive use of parenthesis. I’ll let you draw conclusions.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,344

Post#65 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:28 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:On the Friday down to dunk podcast they read a question from a listener and made mention of the fact that this particular person made extensive use of parenthesis. I’ll let you draw conclusions.

It wasn't me and I have no clue who else here use more parenthesis than me :lol:
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#66 » by a-French-Fan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:06 pm

So ... tanking is coming? ^^ Past 2 years were simply a try before the 2022-2023 great tanking for VW? ^^

Maledon, Hoard, Sarr, Dieng as french players... Even Lu as a canadian from Québec ... Or the HC with a name that could be french

Tell me, a friendly environment for Victor Wenbanyama in order to make him happy in OKC after his rookie contract, is that OKC's process?
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
Foliohattu
Senior
And1: 571

Post#67 » by Foliohattu » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=tHIRN8LblSKcJFdtnv1X3A

Such a great hire.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#68 » by retrobro90 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:55 pm

Foliohattu wrote:
Read on Twitter

Such a great hire.

Read the news that he left SAS a couple weeks ago and it sorta passed me by but so glad we're the team he came to. Giddey/Poku/Dort with improved shooting? Yes please
Big nick
Senior
And1: 355

Post#69 » by Big nick » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:03 pm

That's great news I was hoping they would hire him. We have a great need for him for sure giddy needs the help. Should take our shooting to a new level.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,667

Post#70 » by Devilanche » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:20 pm

Preseason should start as soon as this guy is signed.

So much room for improvement .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#71 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:22 pm

Major win for us. That's the kind of the guy we badly needed and wanted.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:53 pm

Foliohattu wrote:
Read on Twitter

Such a great hire.

Obviously Presti reads my posts.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 768

Post#73 » by cjmcallist » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:06 pm

Engelland!!!!! Heck yeah. Fired up about that hire. Way to go Presti.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#74 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:22 pm

We shouldn't get too excited but at least now Presti is putting everything in place to develop our young guys in the right way and improve the biggest flaw of our team in a decade.

That being said, can training camp start tomorrow plz? :D
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,256

Post#76 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Aug 4, 2022 4:45 am

You guys are putting me on a roller coaster.
First you hire Engelland, and I get to dream of Giddey morphing into a Curry-esque shooter.
Now I see you stopping guys from repping their homelands.

My Boomers need Curry Giddey. If you build him and then don't let us borrow him, I swear I'll get Ben Simmons to throw bricks at your houses.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#77 » by jake_swivel » Thu Aug 4, 2022 5:03 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:You guys are putting me on a roller coaster.
First you hire Engelland, and I get to dream of Giddey morphing into a Curry-esque shooter.

My Boomers need Curry Giddey. If you build him and then don't let us borrow him, I swear I'll get Ben Simmons to throw bricks at your houses.

Poku needs to gain about 15 pounds and worry about staying in the league. Giddey very well might be approved seeing as how Shai played for Canada this summer. Different situations.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,667

Post#78 » by Devilanche » Sat Aug 6, 2022 8:28 am

Giddey becoming anywhere close to curry on shooting alone . That’s not a projection anyone should have even on their wildest dreams.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#79 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:53 pm

Devilanche wrote:

Giddey becoming anywhere close to curry on shooting alone . That’s not a projection anyone should have even on their wildest dreams.

Ya, thats nuts. Giddey at 35% from 3 is a totally different talent, he doesnt need to become a sharpshooter.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,256

Post#80 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:06 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

Ya, thats nuts. Giddey at 35% from 3 is a totally different talent, he doesnt need to become a sharpshooter.

Sorry, you guys don't know me, so my alleged sense of humour mighta missed.
If Giddey gets to baseline competent from outside it'll be great. The Curry stuff was just for laughs.

I thought the 'Ben Simmons bricks' reference mighta clarified.

Anyhow...hope he's great this year, and investing in a proven shooting coach makes a lot of sense.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder