Olympic Boxing...

Cochulito
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Olympic Boxing... 

Post#21 » by Cochulito » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:58 am

The fights have been pretty decent. I dont like the scoring. I see punches landed and no points being added
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#22 » by BlackMamba » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:07 pm

well both vargas and santos advanced.

santos 6-2 over kenyan oketh and vargas 9-2 over soloniaina from madagascar. santos looked pretty solid, vargas for moments seemed like he was going to get knocked out but managed to have some good defensive strategy.

and yes, i still get confused with the scoring, i think it's kind of difficult to see if the white part of the gloves makes a straight hit.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#23 » by studcrackers » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:25 pm

everytime ive seen the olympics on cnbc this is all they've been showing, msnbc and usa have shown a variety of stuff but all ive seen on cnbc has been boxing boxing boxing
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,490

Post#24 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:57 pm

studcrackers wrote:everytime ive seen the olympics on cnbc this is all they've been showing, msnbc and usa have shown a variety of stuff but all ive seen on cnbc has been boxing boxing boxing

Yeah... I noticed. Not that I am complaining about it :D
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#25 » by Texas Longhorns » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 pm

CNBC just loves boxing. I think one of their producers over there is a huge boxing fan so maybe that's why. I heard that fool on NBC saying one of the producers was a huge boxing fan on their family network.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#26 » by High 5 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:36 am

I just saw Olympic boxing for the first time yesterday and I thought it was pretty cool and the scoring was accurate. I would be like "that's a point" in my head and a point would appear on the screen. Today...wow. I just didn't understand the scoring at all. Solid shots going unrewarded, points going to the wrong person and just a ton of inconsistency. One guy just let off a flurry of good shots and somehow the other guy got a point.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#27 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:57 pm

BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by BlackMamba » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 pm

valdez lost 15-4 vs. the mongolian badar uugan enkhbat.

valdez had a lot of energy and attitude, but they say the mongolian is the #1 ranked of their division and he demonstrated it but a good strategy and knew how to take advantage of the will of valdez.

it's sad he got eliminated in this first round, but i hope he can learn from this experience and maybe see him in 4 years, he's just 17!
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#29 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 pm

I wouldn't be surprise if he turns pro BlackMamba. It isn't unusual to see Mexican fighter go pro at age 15...
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by BlackMamba » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:20 pm

yeah, one of them, santos, said he was going to stay for 2012 but now announced he was turning pro.

and it's been the way to go, at least for the boxers in the last 2-3 olympics once they come back to mexico they go pro.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#31 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:45 pm

"If I was fighting when they implemented these scoring systems, you wouldn't be talking to me now -- I wouldn't be a gold-medal winner," Leonard told ESPN.com. "I think this scoring system is utterly ridiculous."
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by BlackMamba » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:18 pm

yeah, what's the basis for this kind of scoring.

jorge "travieso" arce, the mexican boxer was talking last night that at least here in mexico and in some of the south american countries and thanks to julio césar cháves, the boxing school is more of hits to the body and that when getting to the olympics doesn't help you that much because your punches have to be more calculated to get a point.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#33 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:34 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... &type=lgns

Fighters feeling cheated at Olympic boxing

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer 10 hours, 1 minute ago

BEIJING (AP)—Whether boiling with fury or weeping in anguish, Sergey Vodopyanov and Luis Porozo and Raynell Williams and Merey Akshalov all told variations of the same story that has dominated Olympic boxing throughout its first week.

Everybody was robbed.

Close fights and narrow decisions produced a wealth of righteous indignation at Workers’ Gymnasium on Friday night, where a Russian world champion and a serious American medal contender both felt profoundly wronged by subjective calls.

Vodopyanov, the world champion bantamweight, was edged by India’s Akhil Kumar on total punches in a fight that ended 9-all. Williams fell behind early and never caught up to France’s Khedafi Djelkhir, while Porozo and Akshalov were the latest supposed victims of what they said was the pro-Chinese bias infecting all 34 Olympic judges.
ADVERTISEMENT.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#34 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:37 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... &type=lgns

Boxing official defends judges after criticism

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer 14 hours, 2 minutes ago

BEIJING (AP)—The executive supervising the Olympic boxing competition sees no serious problems with the judging in Beijing despite widespread complaints from athletes and coaches, particularly those who have fought Chinese boxers.

Terry Smith, the technical delegate from the International Boxing Association (AIBA), emphasized the subjective nature of boxing’s electronic scoring system Friday when addressing the frustration and disappointment of Olympic fighters who have ripped the Beijing judging.

“I’m always aware of criticism,” Smith said, though he later added that he wasn’t aware of the international outcry over the Beijing results. “I don’t think we’ve ever run a major tournament in our lives without picking up criticism. It goes with the (AIBA) patch. … I’m very satisfied that in my opinion, we’ve found the right winner on each occasion this week.”
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#35 » by Basketball Jesus » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:51 am

Lomachenko seriously bad-assing it out there.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by BlackMamba » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 am

well, of the mexican boxers left vargas was crushed by popescu 14-4.

the other left, santos, won 14-2 over shili and if he wins his quarter finals fight he locks a bronze medal!!!
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#37 » by Rich Rane » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:34 am

I've never actually seen Olympic Boxing before...I don't like it.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#38 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:41 am

Rich Rane wrote:I've never actually seen Olympic Boxing before...I don't like it.

Even for the hardest of hardcore fans... I hate seeing it.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#39 » by Rich Rane » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:51 am

Blame Rasho wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:I've never actually seen Olympic Boxing before...I don't like it.

Even for the hardest of hardcore fans... I hate seeing it.

I mean...the scoring, the style, the amateur gear...it's just so different from what we see on HBO or Showtime. And it's a bad different.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by BlackMamba » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:50 pm

santos, the only mexican left lost 14-9 vs. french boxer khedafi djelkhir.

it was a close match, santos was up 5-3 after the 2nd round, but i think he got over confident and in the 3rd round the french scored 7-2!!!!!! and that was the end of it...

and yes i have to say it, i'm very angry of the scoring, i think the mexican had another 4-6 clear punches. also, he knocked the french down, that should count!!!

but well, another medal that slips away from mexico... sad, real sad...

Return to Olympics