FFL 07-08 [Winner: Sk1p!]

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

TheTorontoGM
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#41 » by TheTorontoGM » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:41 pm

writersblock wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Either way, if 3si wins it all, then that goes to show you that in fantasy, you can just skate by all year, make the playoffs, and win, if you have players who'll turn it on at the end of the year, rather than the beginning.

That seems pretty dismissive of his success - any way you look at it he had a great fantasy season. If it was so easy to pick the formula you describe, why aren't you(or me for that matter) doing the same thing every year?
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#42 » by Young_Star11 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:23 pm

writersblock wrote:Either way, if 3si wins it all, then that goes to show you that in fantasy, you can just skate by all year, make the playoffs, and win, if you have players who'll turn it on at the end of the year, rather than the beginning.

Also, if 3si Wins, couldn't we officially have the first asterisk for a league champion? Wasn't it 3si who originally drafted Elton Brand in the first round, but then rescinded his pick and picked Jason Kidd instead?

Either way, nice job winning it all. :D

3Si was the manager who had the 6th pick but was extremely late and after debating whether to re-start the draft, go with just 19 teams, bring in a replacement, he came and took Kidd with the 20th pick.

Fantasy playoffs are very flawed of course. It's easy to fluke your way to a championship, but in a league like this, making the top-6 is a challenge in itself...so I think 3Si deserves the plaudits should he win it overall.

And btw, thank you for dropping Arenas. Saves me from having to do it!
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#43 » by Dome » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:48 am

Well, looks like the Underachievers decided to not set their lineup any more, giving me an easy 8-1 victory to clinch the 9th place.

I never thought I'd be stoked with winning 9th place (aka 3rd in consolidation), but I am. 7 out of my 13 players right now come from the waiver wire: Keith Bogans, Wilson Chandler, Chuck Hayes, Fred Jones, Smush Parker, Nick Young and Johan Petro.

Looking back, I think I worked the waiver wire really well all season long despite this being a deep 20-team league. After losing several key players (Wade, Nene, Ariza) to injuries and some of my late round prospects not paying off, I thought my team would just drop to the bottom and stay there. Draftpicks like Baron Davis, Mike Dunleavy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Travis Outlaw did pay off nicely for me however, while Tyson Chandler and Kyle Korver gave me a decent amount of production as well.

This is the only league I'm in where I'm not in a finals matchup, and therefore by far my worst league. Good feeling I can still look back satisfied here after finishing the season in the upper half despite my team's shortcomings.
writersblock
General Manager
And1: 61

Post#44 » by writersblock » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:07 am

Young_Star11 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

3Si was the manager who had the 6th pick but was extremely late and after debating whether to re-start the draft, go with just 19 teams, bring in a replacement, he came and took Kidd with the 20th pick.

Fantasy playoffs are very flawed of course. It's easy to fluke your way to a championship, but in a league like this, making the top-6 is a challenge in itself...so I think 3Si deserves the plaudits should he win it overall.

And btw, thank you for dropping Arenas. Saves me from having to do it!

Yes, Jordan, that's what I was referring to. He came back from his honeymoon and picked Elton Brand, and then back tracked to pick Kidd.
Globe-trotting and shenaniganizing, traveling the world and taking names...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6CtlAxAIaA_NQBQCuz3q1w?sub_confirmation=1
3Si
Assistant Coach
And1: 334

Post#45 » by 3Si » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 am

Don't worry about it WB. My team ran out of gas at the end. Was a good run. I'm sure all the veterans will know that in H2H, luck plays a very important role. But you still need to make the playoff for your "luck" to do it's magic. Having 2 of your players (including a trade), isn't anywhere as many as you claimed. And if you are going to take anything away from me for repicking Kidd, then so be it. (Can't believe you still need to bring that up... :roll: )

Bet I would do better if I had Bww as my "trading partner". :lol:
writersblock
General Manager

Post#46 » by writersblock » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:32 am

3Si wrote:Don't worry about it WB. My team ran out of gas at the end. Was a good run. I'm sure all the veterans will know that in H2H, luck plays a very important role. But you still need to make the playoff for your "luck" to do it's magic. Having 2 of your players (including a trade), isn't anywhere as many as you claimed. And if you are going to take anything away from me for repicking Kidd, then so be it. (Can't believe you still need to bring that up... :roll: )

Bet I would do better if I had Bww as my "trading partner". :lol:

I actually wasn't "bringing it up" to make any point...I was actually trying to clarify (read: correct) a statement Jordan made on an earlier page...

Oh, and you should try that "trading with BWW thing". Funny thing is, take away the names, and I actually may have gotten the raw end of half the deals I made with him. Shard averaged like 15 points and 8 boards...hardly anything noteworthy.

3Si
Assistant Coach
And1: 334

Post#47 » by 3Si » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:18 am

writersblock wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I actually wasn't "bringing it up" to make any point...I was actually trying to clarify (read: correct) a statement Jordan made on an earlier page...

Oh, and you should try that "trading with BWW thing". Funny thing is, take away the names, and I actually may have gotten the raw end of half the deals I made with him. Shard averaged like 15 points and 8 boards...hardly anything noteworthy.

Right, and TJ is dropping 20/10 every night... No matter how you look at that plus the Gordon trade, you clearly had the better end. Especially considering the value those players were at that time.

You brought up that incident before Jordan made his post.

"Also, if 3si Wins, couldn't we officially have the first asterisk for a league champion? Wasn't it 3si who originally drafted Elton Brand in the first round, but then rescinded his pick and picked Jason Kidd instead? "
writersblock
General Manager

Post#48 » by writersblock » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 pm

3Si wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Right, and TJ is dropping 20/10 every night... No matter how you look at that plus the Gordon trade, you clearly had the better end. Especially considering the value those players were at that time.

You brought up that incident before Jordan made his post.

"Also, if 3si Wins, couldn't we officially have the first asterisk for a league champion? Wasn't it 3si who originally drafted Elton Brand in the first round, but then rescinded his pick and picked Jason Kidd instead? "

And letting it linger...

And heck, now that you mention it, maybe we should go back and re-draft... :lol:

Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Young_Star11 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:04 am

YS4TCW

C=consolation

Sad that I didn't draft better AND/OR Yao did not go down
Sk1p
Starter
And1: 59

Post#50 » by Sk1p » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:01 pm

:)

Feels great to *finally* win this league.

Great season everyone!
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Dome » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:04 am

Congrats Sk1p! :clap:
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Dome » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:12 pm

Howard has just retired Dutch and myself as moderators here: http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=781893

I've already posted it before earlier this year, but just wanted to make sure to post in this thread as well that I'm stepping down from fantasy basketball after this year, so I won't be returning to the FFL next year.

I had a great time in this league, even though it was a one-and-done year for me. For my team, some draftpicks paid off big (Baron, Dunleavy, Outlaw, Aldridge) and some were horrible (Livingston, Redick, Nene, Wade), leaving me in the middle. By the time we finished the season, over half of my team consisted of players I picked up from the waiver wire, allowing me to stay competitive in the consolidation playoffs and winning the 9th place game (3rd in consolidation) despite having waived Wade and with Nene and Ariza on the IL. Looking back, that's a pretty decent result considering the situation, so I can look back happy even though this was by far my worst league (1st and 2nd in my other two).

This league really has a whole lot of terrific fantasy owners. I wish you all the best of luck next year and beyond.
sly
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 46

Post#53 » by sly » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Good job, Sk1p! Always near the top... from the early Raptor League days to now. PM me your address so I can send you the goodie-bag, k?

Also, some changes for next year... obviously, I haven't been around much at all, which is kind of a bummer. Busy, busy with work these days... 6 days/week with one job [social work] and part-time jobs on the side [IT/web/photography]. Add family after work. And friends in my spare-time. Just not a lot of time to throw at commissioning the league, unfortunately. Or paying attention to basketball... let alone fantasy basketball.

Jordan [YS] has kindly agreed to commish the league next year. The winner still grabs $75. I'll offer that up.

In the meantime, thanks to everybody for staying active. Thanks to Dome for the brief stop-by... you're one of my favourites. You're welcome back next year if there's an unretiring [all the best do it, you know!].

In the meantime, I'm working on freeing up some time. I'll be around during the summer... I'll be back next year. With a much better showing, I promise.
bww78
RealGM
And1: 13

Post#54 » by bww78 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks Craig. By the far the best commish around.

Also, just an FYI that I'm playing around with the idea of a buy in league. I would charge a fee for entry, and then 1st, 2nd and 3rd get cash prizes at season's end. Should make things very competitive. Let me know if you're interested, either by posting here, or at wettengels at yahoo dot com.
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#55 » by tkunit » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:41 pm

sly wrote:de [IT/web/photography].

So that is why you keep that little southeast Asian boy.
fraanciiscoo
Head Coach
And1: 176

Post#56 » by fraanciiscoo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:46 am

congrats_skip1
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Young_Star11 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:07 am

Same rules still apply. I am not worried about the rules, I think they are fine!

Anyway, this league doesn't really kick into gear until early-mid August, so I won't issue out invitations until late July.

With the retirements of Dutch and Dome, and a few inactive managers, we will probably need some replacements. That we can sort out a little later on, but suggestions are welcome via PM!
TheTorontoGM
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#58 » by TheTorontoGM » Thu May 8, 2008 4:44 pm

Young_Star11 wrote:With the retirements of Dutch and Dome, and a few inactive managers, we will probably need some replacements. That we can sort out a little later on, but suggestions are welcome via PM!

Did anyone actually go inactive...? By my count everyone with the exception of Ming(who is a charter member) was pretty much there all year.
stick
RealGM
And1: 68

Post#59 » by stick » Thu May 8, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm in the same boat as Craig time-wise; but, even with constraints I will still at least run with 4 leagues; and this is definitely in my top 4. I just got to do better next season. 3 seasons, and only one playoff team, barely. Embarrassing.
bww78
RealGM
And1: 13

Post#60 » by bww78 » Thu May 8, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm bored, anyone up for some mock drafting contests?

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leagues