Firesale?

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,898

Firesale? 

Post#1 » by Calinks » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:20 am

What's this I keep hearing about a fire sale in Memphis? Does this team plan on moving other quality players? Is your owner looking to sell the team? Is it likely to remain in Memphis? I'd be pissed if they tried to move it somewhere else. Is any of this fact or just speculation?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Re: Firesale? 

Post#2 » by jefe » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:30 am

Calinks3 wrote:What's this I keep hearing about a fire sale in Memphis? Does this team plan on moving other quality players? Is your owner looking to sell the team? Is it likely to remain in Memphis? I'd be pissed if they tried to move it somewhere else. Is any of this fact or just speculation?

What high-cost assets do we have left to move? Miller? Cardinal is high-cost but not really an asset. Darko is really neither at this point IMO.

Yes, the owner is looking to sell the team.

It's very likely to remain in Memphis, at least for the next 13 years. IIRC, the terms of the contract that brought the Grizz to Memphis contained financial penalties (well, more likely "liquidated damages" clauses) that descended over the course of 25 years - I remember hearing that it would be financially impossible to move the team within the first 20 years. FWIW, that's what I know - but I'm taking a best guess at things I'd heard roughly 6.5 years ago when they first relocated to Memphis.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,898

Post#3 » by Calinks » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:47 am

Phew. Well at least the team looks to be staying in Memphis. For your guy's sake I hope you get a new owner soon. One that cares a little more about winning and building a team.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies