psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,952

Re: Grizzlies Offseason 2023 

Post#41 » by psman2 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:58 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
I don’t think 1st GSW 2024 should be so easily dispensable.
If we are able to put protections on it like top 12 then we still get the upside of the pick. If GS plays well going into the deadline and we still have the pick it's value is going to be greatly decreased. Here we make our team better and still get the pick windfall if GS falters and we end up giving up our pick instead. It's kind of the best of both worlds still.

It’s sad that we failed twice to make one more step furher (likely additional 1st) to secure a decent wing - Wagner or Eason who are way better than DFS.

If you mean at the draft, yep. I think Wagner was our target and we felt that 10 would give us a good enough shot at him, I think we had Giddy as a backup option. Most mocks/experts had one always there at 10. We were wrong and that is sometimes how those things go...Booknight and Moody when later than expected. If we were sure Wagner or Giddy was a kind miss cannot of guy then we should have went up to 7 or 8 and got one using a future 1st. Basically trading Zaire and our pick 25 this year for Wagner would have put this team on such a stronger footing. Most talented team in the nba that just needs a little seasoning before winning multiple titles. We can still get there now but it going to take the harder path for sure.

I liked Eason coming out and like him even more now, but I wasn't as sure on him as I was Giddy or Wagner. The guy I wanted was JWill but we likey didn't have the ammo to get up there.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#42 » by esvl » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:12 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote: If we are able to put protections on it like top 12 then we still get the upside of the pick. If GS plays well going into the deadline and we still have the pick it's value is going to be greatly decreased. Here we make our team better and still get the pick windfall if GS falters and we end up giving up our pick instead. It's kind of the best of both worlds still.

It’s sad that we failed twice to make one more step furher (likely additional 1st) to secure a decent wing - Wagner or Eason who are way better than DFS.

If you mean at the draft, yep. I think Wagner was our target and we felt that 10 would give us a good enough shot at him, I think we had Giddy as a backup option. Most mocks/experts had one always there at 10. We were wrong and that is sometimes how those things go...Booknight and Moody when later than expected. If we were sure Wagner or Giddy was a kind miss cannot of guy then we should have went up to 7 or 8 and got one using a future 1st. Basically trading Zaire and our pick 25 this year for Wagner would have put this team on such a stronger footing. Most talented team in the nba that just needs a little seasoning before winning multiple titles. We can still get there now but it going to take the harder path for sure.

I liked Eason coming out and like him even more now, but I wasn't as sure on him as I was Giddy or Wagner. The guy I wanted was JWill but we likey didn't have the ammo to get up there.

Re Eason, come on. At the draft, I saw the Grizzlies logo as a watermark on his profile. He seemed exactly like our prototype player. When Duren got traded at #12, I was sure everyone becomes available down the list and expected us to trade up to #16. It is a shame that we decided to save our future pick and missed Eason as a result.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#43 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:34 am

Credit to Joe Mullinex who I saw post it, but if Memphis doesn't love someone in the draft in our range I wonder if we consider something like a trade with Denver for that 2024 1st they got and a 2nd. Lets Denver get a cheap cost controlled guy now and gives us an extra 1st moving forward to try and swing a big deal.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#44 » by esvl » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:09 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:Based on a couple of threads in the trade section, I think we may make some moves along the lines of the following:

McD and Conley for DB, Tyus, Roddy, 2024
Carter, Harris for Conley, Adams, LaRavia, 2023

Both Carter and McD would likely increase their trade value down the road.

I don’t think Minny goes for that deal but would be for it. The TNT board wanted more future UP picks in the deal.

Does Vincent have enough pg skills to really start for us when Ja is out? I think we just keep Conley, Harris is washed don’t need him.

Based on your discussions on TNT, I wonder what kind of offer from Memphis would make Brooklyn send DFS to us?
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#45 » by esvl » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:30 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if our FO changes his “home-grown development” direction and goes full “win-now” mode by replacing picks and youth with well-established role players like KCP and Bruce Brown.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#46 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:25 pm

esvl wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if our FO changes his “home-grown development” direction and goes full “win-now” mode by replacing picks and youth with well-established role players like KCP and Bruce Brown.

King K definitely sounded like he'd pursue more veterans as opposed to youth at the final press conference so I could see this as a potential direction we look even though there are reports we were looking to move up in this draft.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by esvl » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:51 am

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if our FO changes his “home-grown development” direction and goes full “win-now” mode by replacing picks and youth with well-established role players like KCP and Bruce Brown.

King K definitely sounded like he'd pursue more veterans as opposed to youth at the final press conference so I could see this as a potential direction we look even though there are reports we were looking to move up in this draft.

Let’s talk options then: Jrue, DFS, … ?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#48 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:26 pm

esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I'm not sure Jrue is available. DFS could be an option. Caruso with the Bulls (or LaVine if we get crazy). Maybe OG finally shakes free as an elite role player. Royce O'Neale as the other BKN role player likely available. I'm sure there are a few others that will shake loose as big moves happen so being ready to jump in as a third team and steal someone could be a strategy for us.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by esvl » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:28 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:King K definitely sounded like he'd pursue more veterans as opposed to youth at the final press conference so I could see this as a potential direction we look even though there are reports we were looking to move up in this draft.

I'm not sure Jrue is available. DFS could be an option. Caruso with the Bulls (or LaVine if we get crazy). Maybe OG finally shakes free as an elite role player. Royce O'Neale as the other BKN role player likely available. I'm sure there are a few others that will shake loose as big moves happen so being ready to jump in as a third team and steal someone could be a strategy for us.

1. Is Caruzo Melton 2.0?
2. How do you see Ja-Lavine-Bane operating on defensive end?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#50 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:21 pm

esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:

1. Is Caruzo Melton 2.0?

Yeah Caruso is Melton except hopefully he will show up for us during the playoffs.

I think it only works if Lavine really buys into the defensive end. He has the athleticism and Bulls fans say his defense is underrated, but he would really have to step up on that end. I don't see us meeting the asking price anyway for LaVine. Chicago is asking a lot and he would only be worth a look if we could get him relatively cheap.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#51 » by SD2042 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:30 pm

DFS, O'Neale, or former Grizz Jae Crowder could be suitable options especially with how young the team is right now. A vet or two definitely wouldn't hurt at all. Plus, the Grizzlies are gear in win mode as stated above. The Grizzlies would need to shift from developing players to becoming better contenders. Adding another scorer to the team like a 6th Man would be a wise move to make this offseason. The Grizzlies will need to keep in mind of the new CBA rules and avoid hitting the 2nd cap apron.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by esvl » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:07 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I'm not sure Jrue is available. DFS could be an option. Caruso with the Bulls (or LaVine if we get crazy). Maybe OG finally shakes free as an elite role player. Royce O'Neale as the other BKN role player likely available. I'm sure there are a few others that will shake loose as big moves happen so being ready to jump in as a third team and steal someone could be a strategy for us.

1. Is Caruzo Melton 2.0?

Yeah Caruso is Melton except hopefully he will show up for us during the playoffs.

I think it only works if Lavine really buys into the defensive end. He has the athleticism and Bulls fans say his defense is underrated, but he would really have to step up on that end. I don't see us meeting the asking price anyway for LaVine. Chicago is asking a lot and he would only be worth a look if we could get him relatively cheap.

I see no reason to go for Lavine or DDR even for free because they are both efficient ONLY with the ball in their hands. There is no such role for them in Memphis.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by esvl » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:00 am

I thought today that we paid/pay around 70 mln to role players like Adams, DB, Clarke, Tyus, and Kennard. We can rather pay 30 m to a borderline star or even two - the guys who can create and score at will in wild PO games.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#54 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:00 am

Read on Twitter
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#55 » by esvl » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:10 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

:o
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,952

Post#56 » by psman2 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:11 pm

esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

:o

There is a very good chance this next Midds contract is going to go negative. But at the right number of years and $ then he would be someone I think we might look at. But Milw is just not going to get anything in a SNT that is going to give them a better chance of winning another title than keeping Midds and hope that he still has enough in the tank. So only way we get Midds if he is determined to leave and uses a cap space team as leverage to try to get a SNT done. I think he is back in Milw on a 3/110.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,838

Post#57 » by sashaturiaf » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:20 pm

I want to ask why is it a foregone conclusion Brooks is gone.

He's a young guy who was a major contributor to a 2 seeded team. And now he'll be let go for nothing for..... Talking a bit of trash(mostly the truth) about an aging Lebron? I mean miles bridges is still on the Hornets for beating the crap out of a woman

Help me make sense of this
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#58 » by SD2042 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:50 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:I want to ask why is it a foregone conclusion Brooks is gone.

He's a young guy who was a major contributor to a 2 seeded team. And now he'll be let go for nothing for..... Talking a bit of trash(mostly the truth) about an aging Lebron? I mean miles bridges is still on the Hornets for beating the crap out of a woman

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/grizzlies-dillon-brooks-done-free-agent-report

One of the things it came down to is the money he was asking during the season. He's asking for more money when his game hasn't reflect this specific worth that he's asking. Somewhere along the way, Dillon did get carried away with himself about who he is as a player. In reality, he fits the profile of a catch and shoot player. The problem with that is that he thinks he's a scorer when that's not part of his game. That stems from his earlier days back when former coach JB Bickerstaff had to place Dillon in the role of a scorer due to the Grizzlies undergoing their rebuild during the time when both Mike Conley and Marc Gasol were traded away from the team. Dillon is just not a scorer like that. Because of that line of thinking, he's taken more bad shots than good shots. He's still a good defender who's willing to take on the big assignments. He just need to keep the trash talk on the floor and not in the media like he did in the playoffs. Plus, he needs to re-define his role on offense as he needs to become a catch and shoot player. Not a scorer as he seems to have embedded in his mind. If he changes that mindset on offense and some of that over aggressiveness that's label him a dirty player, he could turn out to be a more useful SF for whoever his next team he will sign up with this offseason.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#59 » by esvl » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:54 pm

SD2042 wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:I want to ask why is it a foregone conclusion Brooks is gone.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/grizzlies-dillon-brooks-done-free-agent-report

One of the things it came down to is the money he was asking during the season. He's asking for more money when his game hasn't reflect this specific worth that he's asking. Somewhere along the way, Dillon did get carried away with himself about who he is as a player. In reality, he fits the profile of a catch and shoot player. The problem with that is that he thinks he's a scorer when that's not part of his game. That stems from his earlier days back when former coach JB Bickerstaff had to place Dillon in the role of a scorer due to the Grizzlies undergoing their rebuild during the time when both Mike Conley and Marc Gasol were traded away from the team. Dillon is just not a scorer like that. Because of that line of thinking, he's taken more bad shots than good shots. He's still a good defender who's willing to take on the big assignments. He just need to keep the trash talk on the floor and not in the media like he did in the playoffs. Plus, he needs to re-define his role on offense as he needs to become a catch and shoot player. Not a scorer as he seems to have embedded in his mind. If he changes that mindset on offense and some of that over aggressiveness that's label him a dirty player, he could turn out to be a more useful SF for whoever his next team he will sign up with this offseason.

I am mostly aligned with your reasoning. I have no doubts that DB can score at will on a high volume and need little assistance for this, but the question is how effective and consistent would it be. I agree that DB needs to re-define his role in his head. He is a fantastic natural on-ball defender and all-heart warrior - the skills that cannot be trained. I wish him nothing but the best. His jersey stays in my basement.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#60 » by SD2042 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:47 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/memphis-grizzlies-pick-xavier-tillman-001253393.html

Looks like the Grizzlies have extended PF/C Xavier Tillman's contract for one more season. X's production in the playoffs was a factor in his extension for stepping up after Steven Adams and Brandon Clarke went down to season ending injuries.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies