ImageImage

GG Jackson

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,593

GG Jackson 

Post#1 » by MemphisX » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:23 am

Will follow his development here. One of the guys I wanted at 25 when it was clear he was falling. Did not think the Grizzlies front office would take him at all but I am so glad they did. Now hopefully he gets 30 minutes tonight in Utah.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: GG Jackson 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:33 am

I'm pumped to see what he becomes. He definitely has the talent.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,593

Post#3 » by MemphisX » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:57 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

This thread might get filthy. Just a warning...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#4 » by jefe » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:58 am

He's definitely got the size to play in the league - maybe with some seasoning he'll turn into a bonafide NBA player. I imagine that he'll spend alot of time in Southaven this year.
beads
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#5 » by beads » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:24 pm

From a South Carolina fan, y'all got a steal. Hindsight will not be kind to all the teams that passed over him. Legit All Star upside in the 2nd round and I think he's showing his floor is a bouncy role player that can score off the bench. Plus he's only 18 years old...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,645

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:34 pm

I think it was maturity issues (and scoring inefficiency) that caused GG to fall. But he's got lottery caliber talent. If he develops right and can stay out of trouble, you guys may have another star in the pipeline.

Main Issue with talented young 2nd round picks is keeping them beyond the first underwhelming contract.

G.G. Jackson | South Carolina | Freshman

6'8" | 214 lb | Wingspan: 6'11" | 18 years old

Elastic forward who can create shots for himself

15.4 ppg -- 5.9 rpg -- 32.4 3PT%

SHADES OF: Nimble Marcus Morris

PLUSES
  • Youngest player in the class and previously the top-ranked prospect in the 2023 high school class. Despite his youth, he already has a strong frame and the functional athleticism suited to handle the physicality of the NBA.
  • Hard worker on offense who cuts, screens, and crashes the boards. He seals off defenders for post-ups, fighting for low positioning, and he’ll sprint up the floor on the break, too. If he’s not rewarded with the ball, he won’t stop hustling.
  • Good spot-up shooter, though he’s making only 34.5 percent of spot-up 3s this season. Although he’s currently an inefficient shooter off the dribble, he sure looks the part with fluid crossovers that allow him to create tons of space. He comfortably gets into his shot, and with a soft touch near the basket on layups, he could someday become a reliable shooter.
  • Ambidextrous finisher who can convert contested shots from awkward angles. If his handle and decisive nature are factored in, he could end up an excellent slasher. At the least, he’s a constant threat to go coast-to-coast after ripping down boards.
  • He capitalizes on his physical tools by giving his all on defense. He battles through screens, calls out rotations, and boxes out. As long as his technique catches up, he should become a plus defender.

MINUSES
  • His game needs buffing. Shot selection is an issue, and he often forces wild layups. But it’s not all his fault since South Carolina’s offense lacks the type of stabilizing point guard he should have in the NBA, and there is a lack of spacing. So it’s often on him to take tough shots.
  • Lacks accuracy as a passer. If he’s running a pick-and-roll, sometimes his bounce pass to the roller will be too far ahead of them. Or his kickouts lack accuracy. He sees the pass, but he’s not always on target.
  • His free throw percentage has never been all that good dating to high school, which raises concerns about his shooting upside.
  • He has size but lacks the length or beef of a player who can moonlight as a small-ball center, making him more of a big wing.
The Ringer
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#7 » by esvl » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:35 pm

What I noticed yesterday: he doesn’t look too agile for a wing and his BBIQ doesn’t seem high, to say the least. In this regard, he looks like a larger version of Vince Williams. Pure role 3&D at best.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#8 » by jefe » Sat Jul 8, 2023 2:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I think it was maturity issues (and scoring inefficiency) that caused GG to fall. But he's got lottery caliber talent. If he develops right and can stay out of trouble, you guys may have another star in the pipeline.

Main Issue with talented young 2nd round picks is keeping them beyond the first underwhelming contract.

G.G. Jackson | South Carolina | Freshman

6'8" | 214 lb | Wingspan: 6'11" | 18 years old

Elastic forward who can create shots for himself

15.4 ppg -- 5.9 rpg -- 32.4 3PT%

SHADES OF: Nimble Marcus Morris

PLUSES
  • Youngest player in the class and previously the top-ranked prospect in the 2023 high school class. Despite his youth, he already has a strong frame and the functional athleticism suited to handle the physicality of the NBA.
  • Hard worker on offense who cuts, screens, and crashes the boards. He seals off defenders for post-ups, fighting for low positioning, and he’ll sprint up the floor on the break, too. If he’s not rewarded with the ball, he won’t stop hustling.
  • Good spot-up shooter, though he’s making only 34.5 percent of spot-up 3s this season. Although he’s currently an inefficient shooter off the dribble, he sure looks the part with fluid crossovers that allow him to create tons of space. He comfortably gets into his shot, and with a soft touch near the basket on layups, he could someday become a reliable shooter.
  • Ambidextrous finisher who can convert contested shots from awkward angles. If his handle and decisive nature are factored in, he could end up an excellent slasher. At the least, he’s a constant threat to go coast-to-coast after ripping down boards.
  • He capitalizes on his physical tools by giving his all on defense. He battles through screens, calls out rotations, and boxes out. As long as his technique catches up, he should become a plus defender.

MINUSES
  • His game needs buffing. Shot selection is an issue, and he often forces wild layups. But it’s not all his fault since South Carolina’s offense lacks the type of stabilizing point guard he should have in the NBA, and there is a lack of spacing. So it’s often on him to take tough shots.
  • Lacks accuracy as a passer. If he’s running a pick-and-roll, sometimes his bounce pass to the roller will be too far ahead of them. Or his kickouts lack accuracy. He sees the pass, but he’s not always on target.
  • His free throw percentage has never been all that good dating to high school, which raises concerns about his shooting upside.
  • He has size but lacks the length or beef of a player who can moonlight as a small-ball center, making him more of a big wing.
The Ringer

Take this with a grain of salt because I had never seen the guy play until summer league, and I'd be lying if I said I had even heard of him until we drafted him as I was pretty much checked out on NCAA basketball last year. However, reading that scouting profile and seeing GG play in the summer league - the closest comparison that comes to mind is Rudy Gay, who had all the tools in the world but never really put them all together.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#9 » by esvl » Sat Jul 8, 2023 3:56 pm

Rudy Gay is a good comparison. I would only add that Gay is his ceiling l.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:28 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,372

Post#13 » by ItsDanger » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:32 pm

Jackson shows shot creation ability at 6'9. Sure he has holes in his game. But picked in the mid 2nd round is a no brainer and you work on developing his overall game. Players like this don't grow on trees. People who mock the pick just don't know basketball period. Its well worth the risk.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies