Build an NBA Team: Rosters and Trades (Voting Link on p. 25)

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

The Sixth Man
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Build an NBA Team: Rosters and Trades (9/17 Trade Deadline) 

Post#361 » by The Sixth Man » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:46 pm

The voting period will start in a few days. Because of this, I advise that all participants provide a write-up for their team sometime in the next couple of days. You can write whatever you want, but I recommend something along these lines:

Roster/Depth Chart: List your roster and the number of minutes each player is expected to get.

Team Strengths:

Team Weaknesses:

Playing Style:

Other:
Sports Arsenal
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Re: Build an NBA Team: Rosters and Trades (Write-ups due soon) 

Post#362 » by Sports Arsenal » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:00 am

Roster/Depth Chart:
Chris Paul(35)/Mike Bibby(13)
Rip Hamilton(30)/Jason Richardson(18)
Rashard Lewis(26)/Josh Howard(22)
Carlos Boozer(28)/Luis Scola(20)/Matt Harpring
Marcus Camby(28)/Mehmet Okur(20)/Brad Miller

Team Strengths: Since Chris Paul was my first pick I felt like surrounding him with shooters would be ideal. With Rip/Lewis/Richardson/Okur I feel like I accomplished that. In my opinion interior defense is solid with Camby (former DPOY), Scola, and Harpring. I have playmakers at every position with a team that should absolutely no problem with chemistry.

Team Weaknesses: In my opinion my only weakness is possibly perimeter defense. Though I consider it my only weakness, I really do not think it is a glaring weakness. Hamilton, Howard, Harpring should be able to defend the outside shot well.

Playing Style:
This team has the ability to play either a half court style play or a run and gun. You should see a lot of pick and rolls with combos like Paul or Rip with Camby or Boozer. Three point shots from every position and just about everybody on the team has the ability to create their own shot.

Other:
I wanted to be as realistic and possible, while still adding superstar caliber players on a team that has the ability to play together. I wanted some lock down defenders, and good shooters. I have guys the will pound the glass on both sides, and run the floor with anyone. This team has the ability to be a highlight reel waiting to happen on every possession. I also have versatility to play a few players at multiple positions like Rashard,Okur,Scola,Harpring. All and all I am very happy with the outcome of my team.

I had a lot of fun playing with you guys. Sixthman, CellarDoor, Raptorzong, Calderon13, randomhero... I had alot of interaction with you guys and I am happy to have met yall. This was my first tournament or such to play on here and I had so much fun I have already enlisted into another... Thanks all of you... Lets see what happens now!
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#363 » by CellarDoor » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:02 am

Team Cellardoor

Depth Chart:
Deron(32)/Terry(15)/Blake
JJ(15)/Kmart(28)/Terry(5)
Prince(30)/JJ(15)/Hill(3)
Jefferson(30)/Chandler(15)/Powe(3)
Chandler(15)/Haywood(28)/Darko(5)

Team strengths: Rebounding, defense, versatility, shooting, and most of all, chemistry.
Rebounding:
Al Jefferson and Tyson Chandler are two of the best rebounders at their respective position and Deron and my two of my three wings are all at least average rebounders. I have a lot of guys who know how to get position and get to a ball in traffic. Which with my defense will be valuable.
Defense:
Each of my starters are at worst average defenders for their positions. Jefferson is the weakest link and he takes a lot of flak for his D, but that’s when he’s guarding Cs. His three center counterparts are Chandler, Haywood, and Darko, the former two are top 5 defensive Cs, the latter is no slouch himself. Tayshaun Prince is one of the best wing defenders in the league today. He will take up the more difficult of the two wing players like he did on the 04 finals with Kobe. Does anyone remember how bad of a series Kobe had? Joe Johnson has always been a solid defender despite carrying the offensive load in Hotlanta as well as initiating the offense. With Deron around to initiate the offense and Deron, Kmart, and AlJefferson around, JJ can relax a little more on offense and keep his man in check. Deron is a physical PG who will wear you down on both sides of the ball and can certainly hold up his end.
Versatility:
The degree to which I can mix and match lineups to fit a specific need is one of my greatest strengths. JJ can play PG with Terry and Kmart to give you one of the deadliest shooting teams in the league. Combine them with Haywood and Chandler and STILL no one is scoring. I can run with the 2 pg sets in Deron and Terry similar to what Utah did with Fisher, I can put JJ at point next to Prince and Martin and go big, the combinations are endless.
Shooting:
I already touched on it, but I’ve got Terry, Blake, JJ, Kmart, and Prince who are all excellent shooters. Deron isn’t a slouch either, especially from mid-range. Jefferson will have a TON of room to operate down low.
Chemistry:
This is the area I feel a lot of GMs neglected when constructing these teams. You have guys in contract years like Turkoglu who are third on the depth chart. You’ve got Shaq playing behind Bynum, you’ve got Artest, Kobe, and Bosh sharing the ball…with Allen Iverson. I feel like my team is well put together with players that all indications show could sacrifice a little for the team. Kevin Martin took less money and has been an insanely efficient 2nd option until this year, it’s not a stretch to see him getting his 28 off the bench. Prince is obviously a big time team guy, playing 4th option routinely on those Piston’s teams. Haywood split minutes with Etan forever, Chandler gets his minutes and hasn’t ever needed shots. Jefferson also took less money and he in all likelihood would love some help finally. Hill is in the twilight of his career and looking for a ring, Blake is the consummate team player, there just aren’t many problems to arise on this team. If Darko runs his mouth he can be cut .
Weaknesses:
None. This team has an answer for absolutely everything. Need a take over scorer? JJ and Deron have both proven to be clutch. Need someone to stick the other team’s best player? Prince, Chandler (really impressed me against Duncan) and Haywood can do it for you. There’s just nothing that can’t be answered.
Playing style:
My team will have three main sets: PnR with Deron/Chandler, Drive n kick with any of Martin, Deron, and JJ, and iso’s with AlJefferson. Our first option will always be to keep the ball in Deron’s hands and let his sickening crossover and penetration create. In Utah he’s got a post option but not many shooters, he could close his eyes and find a 40%+ three point shooter here. On defense our preference will be man to man. With Chandler and Haywood in back, we can afford to stick the perimeter guys and funnel them in.

Other:

I’ve harped on it a lot, but I really think the idea here is to create a team that will work well together, so look at the teams. We’ve seen what even two ball dominant players with the wrong attitude can do in Denver, look at the teams and try to imagine them all playing on the same court, for the same team, with the same ball. Not for an all-star exhibition, not for five Olympic games and then back home, but for an 82 game season, playoffs and all. I think my team is equipped to handle anyone.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
nba_addict
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#364 » by nba_addict » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:06 am

Roster/Depth Chart:

PG - Tony Parker (30) / Devin Harris (18) *
SG - Vince Carter (28)* / Stephen Jackson (20) *
SF - Gerald Wallace (28) / Richard Jefferson (20) *
PF - Kevin Garnett (30) / Lamar Odom (18)*
C - Shaq O'neal (26) / Andrew Bynum (22)

Situational roster rotation replacements:
* PG/SG - Ben Gordon for instant scoring off the bench and outside shooting. Gordon can replace Harris and whoever is off-night in my SG rotation.
* SF/SG/PF - James Posey for outside shooting and perimeter defense. If Carter is lazy with his defense, Posey will replace Carter in the starting line-up. Posey may also see minutes in PF spot to match-up against finesse PF like Dirk, Gasol, Bosh and D. West.

Team Strengths:
I have 5 guys with NBA Finals experience and each played key role in their respective appearances (Shaq, KG, TP, SJax and Posey). I also have 2 freak locker room guys in KG and Shaq which for me is a foundation of good team chemistry. If you look at my line-up I dont have a guy who needs the ball most of the time to be effective in the court. My first and second units in 1-4 spots all can create offense for themselves and others. My post defense is also solid. While I only have KG as outstanding defender in the post, Shaq and Bynum provide the size to protect the middle. Shaq, Bynum, and Odom are above average rebounders to negate second chance opportunities. I have enough swingmen who all can attack and shoot it from deep. My second unit is also very competitive and adequately capable defensively.

Team Weaknesses:
Perimeter defense in 1-2 spots. Carter is average defender and could be above average if motivated. Parker, Harris and BG are good man defender at the very least but are not known as lock down defenders. For that reason I picked up James Posey who can also play the 2 spot if defense is needed.

Playing Style:
My team can play either half-court style or up-tempo. Each offensive possession will be composed of two major plays. First is to attempt for transition basketball as the first option and half-court style if the first option is negated. Parker and Harris dont have to bring the ball to the otherside by themselves but instead the first one to be on the other side of the court for long outlet passes. I have Wallace, Carter, Odom all of which are capable of bringing the ball to the other side if transition basketball is negated. My transition basketball will start with my superiority in rebounding department. On half-court sets my basketball strategy would depend on where is the match-up advantage per position. Like what I mentioned above, one of my Team's strength is that my offense can start with anyone in my starting line-up. If Shaq can punish the opposing center with his power moves, then we go to him. If we are up against the lives of Steve Nash, then we go the Tony Parker way. Same goes with the others.

My team defense will be anchored by KG. I am equipped by above average wing and post defenders. I also expect to dominate the rebounding department with my line-up which is also the key for my transition basketball.
The Sixth Man
Senior

Post#365 » by The Sixth Man » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:19 am

Depth Chart:

PG: Steve Nash (27) / Kirk Hinrich (11) / Dwyane Wade (8) / Derek Fisher (2)
SG: Dwyane Wade (25) / Mike Miller (16) / Kirk Hinrich (7)
SF: Shawn Marion (25) / Andrei Kirilenko (11) / Michael Beasley (10) / Mike Miller (2)
PF: Elton Brand (27) / Michael Beasley (10) / Andrei Kirilenko (9) / Shawn Marion (2)
C: Chris Kaman (25) / Andrew Bogut (21) / Joel Przybilla (2)

Overall Estimated Minutes Per Game:

Dwyane Wade: 33
Elton Brand: 27
Shawn Marion: 27
Steve Nash: 27
Chris Kaman: 25
Andrew Bogut: 21
Michael Beasley: 20
Andrei Kirilenko: 20
Kirk Hinrich: 18
Mike Miller: 18
Derek Fisher: 2
Joel Przybilla: 2

Team Strengths:

This team's greatest strength, in my opinion, is its overall balance. Basically, it is very good/excellent at almost every aspect of the game.

It also has outstanding depth, so foul trouble or a starter struggling would not be nearly as big of an issue as it is for most teams. Consider this: I could play a lineup of Hinrich/Miller/Kirilenko/Beasley/Bogut. Pretty damn good, right? Well, all of those players are on my bench. Obviously, the great depth of my team also keeps my stars well-rested.

Last season, five of my players (Fisher, Hinrich, Marion, Miller, Nash) averaged more than one made 3-point shot per game, three (Hinrich, Nash, Wade) averaged more than 6 dimes a game, and two (Kaman, Marion) grabbed more than 10 boards per game. And that's not even considering Beasley (who was in college) and Brand (who was injured). Furthermore, three (Hinrich, Kirilenko, Wade) have been named to an NBA All-Defensive Team, and one is an NBA Finals MVP (Wade).

Wade is probably the best driver in the game and gets to the free-throw line often. In fact, he usually takes around 10 free throws per game.

I've also got very good low post offense from Bogut, Brand, and Kaman. I think Beasley will be great in that area, as well.

One of the great things about my team is that, even though there are many stars, only four players took more than 12 shots per game last season (Brand, Kaman, Marion, Wade). Quite a few of my stars take relatively few shots. And when it comes down to crunch-time, I've got (in my opinion) the best and most clutch player in the league, Dwyane Wade.

Finally, I've got a good mix of veterans and young players.

Team Weaknesses:

There are only two possible weaknesses I can see with this team. One might be the fact that both Nash and Wade are used to initiating the offense and handling the ball often. I don't think this would be a major issue, however. They both are very unselfish players and would be willing to let the other set-up the offense when necessary. Additionally, Wade excels both as the primary ball-handler and playing off the ball (such as in the Olympics, although I'll admit that's not equivalent to NBA play).

The other issue that might be brought up is team chemistry. Obviously, just about every player on this team would have to accept a decrease in playing time. That's the case with just about every team in a 10-team league, though, and I think my team is better suited than most to deal with this. Eight players would still be playing at least 20 MPG, and ten at least 18 MPG. I've also got many unselfish and team-oriented players who would be fine with a minutes deduction as long as the team was winning games (which it certainly would be).

Playing Style:

Offensively, this team will play at both a half-court and fast-break pace. In half-court sets, there will be a lot of pick-and-rolls with Nash/Wade and Brand/Kaman. There are also a few post-up options and some great outside shooters when someone drives to the basket.

This team will also run often and loves to score fast-break points. Wade, Marion, and Kirilenko are three of the best finishers in the league.

Defensively, my team will usually play man-to-man.

In addition, my team has great versatility and can utilize many different styles of play. Here are some possibilities:

Small Ball:
Nash
Hinrich
Wade
Marion
Brand

Big:
Wade
Miller
Marion
Bogut
Kaman

Defense:
Hinrich
Wade
Marion
Kirilenko
Kaman

Three-Point Shooting:
Nash
Hinrich
Miller
Marion
Kaman

Free-Throw:
Nash
Fisher
Wade
Brand
Kaman

Other:

This team was designed to win games in just about any possible situation. I think this team has great balance and look forward to taking on any of the other squads.
Sports Arsenal
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#366 » by Sports Arsenal » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:36 am

The Sixth Man wrote:Depth Chart:

SF: Shawn Marion (25) / Andrei Kirilenko (11) / Michael Beasley (10) / Mike Miller (2)
PF: Elton Brand (27) / Michael Beasley (10) / Andrei Kirilenko (9) / Shawn Marion (2)

So what is the difference between the minutes in the depth chart and the overall estimated minutes per game. Because to me it looks like you balanced them out proportionally in the depth chart and then made a list that made it look like those guys are going to get more minutes than they really well to work both sides of the game... Sorry bro, just curious.
The Sixth Man
Senior

Post#367 » by The Sixth Man » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:49 pm

ShaqSux wrote:
The Sixth Man wrote:Depth Chart:

So what is the difference between the minutes in the depth chart and the overall estimated minutes per game. Because to me it looks like you balanced them out proportionally in the depth chart and then made a list that made it look like those guys are going to get more minutes than they really well to work both sides of the game... Sorry bro, just curious.

It's the same thing. The only reason I included the overall estimated MPG was to make it very easy to see how approximately much PT each player would get. I'm not sure what you mean by "made it look like those guys are going to get more minutes than they really well to work both sides of the game," though. I just added up the minutes in the depth chart. If I made a mistake, please let me know.
randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#368 » by randomhero423 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Depth Chart:

PG: Chauncey Billups 36 mpg/Rafer Alston 12 mpg
SG: Caron Butler 35 mpg/Raja Bell 13 mpg
SF: Paul Pierce 35 mpg/Bruce Bowen 13
PF: Rasheed Wallace 38 mpg/Kenyon Martin 10
C: Yao Ming 36 mpg/Erick Dampier 12 mpg

Reserves: OJ Mayo, and John Salmons. Mayo will play when one of the backups are in foul trouble, or if we need scoring. Salmons will play if we have a big lead, so we can rest Bowen.

Strengths:

DEFENSE. We have the best defense in the league, along with expericenced vets. I feel because of this our chemistry should be flawless. I think our offense can also be a strength. We have guys who don't need many shots to be effective, and we have guys who are efficent and know how to play their roles.

Weaknesses:

I honestly don't think we really have a weakness. I feel if anything, it may be our lack of offense, but with pierce/butler/ming/billups/mayo/alston that should not be a issue.

Other:

We will play man to man defense most of the time, but at times we can be playing a 3-2 zone. Our offense will be a lot like SAS/DET. Guys like Bell and Pierce/Butler/Bowen will be going off of screens, and at other times we can have our offense revoluve around Ming.
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
The Sixth Man
Senior

Post#369 » by The Sixth Man » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:19 pm

FYI, we'll probably start the voting either Monday or Tuesday. If a team hasn't submitted their write-up, they'll still be in the contest, but all I will post is their roster (in alphabetical order). No depth chart, team strengths, etc.
JBuisness21
Sophomore

Post#370 » by JBuisness21 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 pm

Roster/Depth Chart:
Amare Stoudemire
Carmelo Anthony
Baron Davis
Brandon Roy
Andre Miller
Kevin Durant
Greg Oden
Jamal Crawford
Antawn Jamison
J.R. Smith
Maurice Williams
Marc Gasol

PG: Davis/Miller/Williams
SG: Roy/Smith/Crawford
C: Stoudmire/Oden
PF: Jamison/Gasol
SF: Anthony/Durant

Team Strengths: PG SG

Team Weaknesses: big man depth

Playing Style: fast break first unit 2nd unit more of slow it up

Other: we shall b known as the Denver swag
Build A Team roster

G: Baron Davis/Andre Miller/Mo Williams
G: Brandon Roy/Jamal Crawford/J.R. Smith
F: Carmelo Anthony/Kevin Durant
F: Antwan Jamison/Marc Gasol
C: Amare Stoudemire/Greg Oden
calderon13
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#371 » by calderon13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Team "King Ginobili"

ROSTER - DEPTH CHART

PG: Jose Calderon (35 mmg) / TJ Ford (13 mmg)
SG: Manu Ginobili (33 mmg) / Mike Dunleavy (15 mmg)
SF: Lebron James (40 mmg) / Hedo Turkoglu (3 mmg) / Peja Stojakovic (2 mmg) / Al Thornton (3 mmg)
PF: Josh Smith (30 mmg) / Al Horford (18 mmg)
Cc: Emeka Okafor (30 mmg) / Andris Beidrins (18 mmg)

Team Strengths:
The most vital part of this team is definitely the epic duo of Lebron and Ginobili. Lebron being the most dominating player in NBA today as well as the best shooting guard in the league brings that automatic leadership that a team like this definitely needs. Ginobili on the other hand brings the versatility. Whether it be shooting beyond the arc or ball handling, finishing with perfection or play making, Ginobili brings all those skills and an immense amount of talent that is a great compliment to Lebron's dominance. The shooting of this team is also it's strength as the team has vast variety of shooters - jumpshooters to 3pt assassins, the team has it all. The brain of this team is definitely Jose Calderon and his playmaking abilities. Having the best turnover to assist ratio and great Field Goal and Free Throw percentages as a point guard, Calderon is definitely the player Lebron and Ginobili are dependent upon. The team has both, offense and defense. Offensive end is purely handled by everyone on the team. Whether it be posting up, inside shooting, 3pt shooting, rebounding, and playmaking, each player will be involved with one of the following at all times. Defensively, the team is relied upon Josh Smith, Okafor, Lebron and Manu. All of these bring the shot blocking and rebounding that will be taking place at the defensive end.

Team Weaknesses:
The team has no weaknesses. The team has the ability to face anything it comes across. The team has a great PG duo, an outstanding Lebron-Ginobili combo, wide variety of shooters and both, defensive and offensive presence thus making the team a solid contender without any traces of weakness at any position or aspect of the game.

Playing Style:
The team will have a wide variety of available plays. There will be what is known as motion offense in which all the players will weave in and out in front of the basket, blocking the defenders to free the teammates for an open shot and in King Ginobili, everyone has a respective shooting ability. the second key play would be an offensive triangle which will be made for Josh and Okafor. Josh and Okafor will be on either end of the free throw line while having Lebron and Manu under the basket. Calderon will be standing at the centre of the arc. Lebron and Manu will move out as Josh and Okafor move in to the basket. Calderon's main preference would be to pass the ball to Josh or Okafor to post up and finish but he can also pass to either Lebron or Manu to shoot either beyond the arc or just take a jumpshot from anywhere inside the arc. Last play would be the Pick n Roll for Josh, Okafor, Horford and Beidrins made by Jose.

Other:
The team is a Win-Now team but has the ability to be reshaped when needed. Currently, the team has the talent and ability to win in any situation.
The Sixth Man
Senior

Post#372 » by The Sixth Man » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:13 pm

calderon13 wrote:Team "King Ginobili"
SF: Lebron James (40 mmg) / Hedo Turkoglu (8 mmg) / Peja Stojakovic (8 mmg) / Al Thornton (10 mmg)

Nice writeup, but that adds up to 66 minutes.
calderon13
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#373 » by calderon13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:33 pm

The Sixth Man wrote:
calderon13 wrote:Team "King Ginobili"
SF: Lebron James (40 mmg) / Hedo Turkoglu (8 mmg) / Peja Stojakovic (8 mmg) / Al Thornton (10 mmg)

Nice writeup, but that adds up to 66 minutes.

Oh thats cz eitheri Hedo, Peja or Thornton will play....not all of them will play at once :P. But i will change it.
The Sixth Man
Senior

Post#374 » by The Sixth Man » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:35 pm

We will start the voting sometime tonight. zong, london sonic, and fivas14 are the only participants who haven't posted their writeups yet. If any of you read this, please note that you can post your writeup after the voting starts and I'll edit that post ASAP. Thanks!
The Sixth Man
Senior

Post#375 » by The Sixth Man » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:35 pm

The voting period has started! It will take place here:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=839452&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
london sonic
Pro Prospect

Re: Build an NBA Team: Rosters and Trades (Voting Link on p. 25) 

Post#376 » by london sonic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 pm

LONDON SONIC

PG - G.Arenas,R.Rondo,Westbrook
SG - Iguodala,Redd,Westbrook
SF - Battier,Deng,Harrington
PF - P.Gasol,Aldridge,Harrington
C - D.Howard,Big Z,Harrington

Strengths

Versatility,flexibility,Depth and and youth.This team has ability to dominate now and at least the next 5 years.possible dynasty team.

Overall
This team has a mixture of offensive and defensive minded players .depth at all positions and versatility at numerous positions with westbrook,iggy,harrington and especially at PF&C as have gasol,aldridge,howard who can cover both positions.this gives the team the ability to create some serious match up problems.

happy voting.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games