TRADE TOURNAMENT by eitanr - CellarDoor is the winner!

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,090

Re: TRADE TOURNAMENT by eitanr - Round 1->Judging has begun 

Post#121 » by dockingsched » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:39 am

upset city, gotta love bracket style.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,029

Post#122 » by SimonFish » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

Ugh so I lost again.

Anyway seems it's a great improvement to my Cleveland trade in my last tournament lol.

My last one is just crap.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#123 » by CellarDoor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:04 am

dcash4 wrote:upset city, gotta love bracket style.

I hope you put your money on me, or else you're a fool :)
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 300

Post#124 » by eitanr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:18 pm

2nd Rd Match ups:

WEST:
1. skorff26 vs. 4. wezbo
2. CellarDoor vs. 3. ShaqSux

EAST:
4. dcash4 vs. 8. bryant08
3. sterncohen vs. 7. randomhero423

I will post scenarios for each shortly.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
pistons
Senior
And1: 16

Post#125 » by pistons » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:30 pm

" My reign on the top was shorter than Leprechauns " lol . . .oh well maybe I can reclaim my title in the next tournament . . . . . I knew when I typed it up that some were gonna say that the Nets got screwed . . .but to me it was a case of relative vvalue . . . I feel that th eHornets view Julian Wright as a better combo of talent , salary , and potential than VC and I dont think they would part with him in a trade for VC . . . . at the same time I think that VC is of little importance to the Nets as they are not a playoff team with him , he's overpaid , he's under - motivated , and if they dont deal him soon , then they are gonna get a terrible deal for him when they do , maybe not even expirings/ picks . I mean if Gasol , who is an All -Star caliber big man gets a an expiring and a pick , then why shouldnt VC who is no longer an All -Star caliber player and is not a big man get the same package ? . . . . and for the Bucks , I had them not giving up more compensation because Bell is a superior player to Butler . . . .but those are just my 7 and a half cents .. . .
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#126 » by CellarDoor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:33 pm

eitanr wrote:2nd Rd Match ups:

WEST:
1. skorff26 vs. 4. wezbo

EAST:

I will post scenarios for each shortly.

Poor Shaq...the hurricane and now me.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
eitanr
General Manager

Post#127 » by eitanr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:47 pm

1. skorff26 vs. 4. wezbo

The Clippers are coming off an action packed off-season. They went from the high of signing B-Diddy to the low of losing Elton Brand. Now they are left with a roster that may be competitive for that last seed out West, but more than likely just doesn't seem talented enough to make it to the playoffs.

Devise a plan that gets the Clippers one step closer to the playoffs. Remember unlike a Dallas, or possibly Denver situation, the Clippers are not too desperate. Also recall that it could be harder to unload Camby due to his age and the fact that LA just acquired him. On the other hand, dealing Kaman is a high risk move and could hurt the Clipps future. I am looking for a relatively safe move that doesn't hurt LA long term.

B. Davis and Camby are hard to deal since LA just acquired them etc. Gordon and Thornton are highly valued commodities.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

eitanr
General Manager

Post#128 » by eitanr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:55 pm

The Memphis Grizzlies are far away from competing for the playoffs or really competing to win 30 games. So no plan involving them will be to compete in the post season.

Right now the Grizzlies are semi set for their future in 4 slots. You can argue that Wallace is more or less okay with Connley JR for now at PG, Mayo at the 2, Gay at the 3, and possibly Marc Gasol at the 5.

The position that seems hazy for Wallace is at the 4 slot.

Thus being the case, devise a plan that help C. Wallace sleep well at night knowing his PF slot is secured with a nice potential piece. It's probably best if the player is not a big time vet etc (no Randolph) or seeking a winner at the end of his career. The best fit would be a guy who can play the 4 and is somewhat young and will have an opportunity to play major minutes in Memphis and can possibly develop into a solid starter for them like the aforementioned starters.

Mayo and Gay are extremely highly valued. Marc Gasol is also valued semi highly as is Conley JR.

eitanr
General Manager

Post#129 » by eitanr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:58 pm

What are the Indiana Pacers doing? I myself am not quite too sure. Maybe you have a better idea than me. Irregardless you can devise one of two plans for them.

Either A: Give Indy a nice rebuilding plan in which they secure young assets, thinner contracts, and potentially more draft picks.

Or B: Devise a plan that improves the Pacers PF slot and ultimately makes them competitive for the playoffs while not sacrificing their future.

Whoever makes the better of either plan wins the scenario.

Granger is high valued. MKD is somewhat highly valued as well.

eitanr
General Manager

Post#130 » by eitanr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:01 pm

The Chicago Bulls had a very disappointing season last year but are looking to turn things around....somewhat soon. They have a large wing glut and are looking hopeful to somehow snag a solid PF.

Devise a plan which makes the Bulls competitive next season. Any trades and or signings (realistic) that you feel are capable and necessary should be noted. Please note their current cap situation and help perform deals that cuts their cap for next season etc.

Deng, Rose, Thomas, and Noah are somewhat valued.

CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by CellarDoor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Every winning team needs stars. They also need roleplayers though. With one rising star at SF and a couple possible stars (one super star) at the guard slots, they don’t need a lot here. Gasol is a nice post scorer, so what they really need is an enforcer. Memphis needs someone to do their dirty work and compliment their other guys. The problem with this is that the trade is going to be functional, but not all that flashy. There are a few options you could choose to go with for Memphis here. There’s people like Josh Smith, Al Horford, Brandan Wright. Young, full of potential, and in Wrights case insanely overrated. Trying to pry them away wouldn’t be intelligent. Then you have guys like Haslem and Gooden who are good, but not quite young enough and won’t be RFAs, making it hard to keep them in Memphis. Who does this leave you with you ask. Guys like David Lee, Paul Millsap, and Tyrus Thomas. All of them are slightly overvalued, but not so much as to kill deals. With the exception of Tyrus, certainly none of them will be stars, but they will fit nicely into a young team with a lot of scoring potential already. The fact of the matter is, you’re locked into very few choices to fit into their age range with potential still. The goal I’m going for is to not kill their cap situation so that they can still pursue future star PFs (Boozer, Amare, Bosh)
Without further adu:
Memphis out: Lowry
Memphis in: Richardson, Lee
Lee gives them a workhorse PF, Richardson backs up the SF/SG slots once Toine expires

NY out: Lee, Richardson
NY in: Critt
They save a ton of money and generate a TPE that could land a useful player. Critt can play some 1 and 2.

I’m totally kidding. Lee would cause a riot.

Memphis out: Warrick, Crittenton
Memphis in: Maxiell, Atkins
Why? Maxiell has quietly become a terrific workhorse PF with a bit of a jumpshot. Remember the job he did on D12 in the playoffs? He’s got the potential to be exactly what you need out of a workhorse PF and he’s young. Atkins takes the mantle of third PG (or 4th, depending on where Marko plays)
Conley/Lowry
Mayo/Marko
Gay/Toine
Maxiell/Arthur
Gasol/Darko/Iranian dude

Denver out: Kleiza, Atkins
Denver in: Warrick, Crittenton
They downgrade their combo forward, but pick up a PG who can work with AI. Moving Atkins saves them money on the lux tax this year and gets them started towards getting under it.
Ai/Critt
JR/AI
Melo/JR/Warrick
Kmart/Warrick
Nene/Hunter

Detroit out: Maxiell
Detroit in: Kleiza
They trade one of their two young PFs for a backup SF who can also float to PF. Kleiza can sink a three and hustles hard. He should fit in very well in Det.
Billups/Stuckey
Rip/Stuckey/Afflalo
Tay/Kleiza
Dyess/Johnson/Kleiza
Wallace/Kwame
Sports Arsenal
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#132 » by Sports Arsenal » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:43 am

Ok here is my shot at the all mighty cellar... lol

Memphis out: Darko Millicic
Miami out: Udonis Haslem

Why for Memphis: They get a young power forward with plent of fuel in his tank. Darko has a lot of potential but Memphis wants Gasol v.2 to fulfill that position and this gives them room to let him play.

Why for Miami: After drafting Beasley to play the 4, Haslem is expendable. What they really need is a starting caliber center and Darko does that for them. Darko well allow Beasley to control the interioir .

Conley/Lowery
Mayo/Marko
Gay/Warrick
Haslem/Arthur
Gasol/Iranian
randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#133 » by randomhero423 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:47 am

eitanr wrote:3. sterncohen vs. 7. randomhero423

The Chicago Bulls had a very disappointing season last year but are looking to turn things around....somewhat soon. They have a large wing glut and are looking hopeful to somehow snag a solid PF.

Devise a plan which makes the Bulls competitive next season. Any trades and or signings (realistic) that you feel are capable and necessary should be noted. Please note their current cap situation and help perform deals that cuts their cap for next season etc.

Deng, Rose, Thomas, and Noah are somewhat valued.

First Trade: CHI/UTH

CHI trades: Larry Hughes, Andres Nocinoi, Unprotected first round pick 2009
UTH trades: Andrei Kirlenko, Jarron Collins

CHI does this because they gain their PF in AK47 without giving up any starters.
UTH does this because they get rid of a scrub (Collins), and gets a true SF who's tough like sloan in nocini

Second Trade: CHI/LAC
CHI trades: S/T Ben Gordon
LAC trades: Cuttino Mobley

CHI does this because they trade a disgruntled one dimensial SG for a veteran who is solid at everything.
LAC does this because they get a young SG who can help them out right away.

Third Trade: CHI/SAC
CHI trades: Kirk Hinrich
SAC trades: Mikki Moore, Francisco Garcia, Quincy Douby

CHI does this because they have more cap relief for 2010, and get a better backup C, and backup SF.
SAC does this because they get a good point guard who needs a change of scenary and who also fits well with Kevin Martin.

Fourth Trade: CHI/MEM
CHI trades: Tyrus Thomas, Aaron Grey
MEM trades: Kyle Lowry, Greg Buckner

CHI does this because they get the backup pg they need.
MEM does this because they solve their pg glut, and gets two young post players which they need.

CHI depth chart then
PG: Derrick Rose/Kirk Hinrich
SG: Larry Hughes/Thabo Safolsha
SF: Luol Deng/Andres Nocioni
PF: Drew Gooden/Tyrus Thomas
C: Jokiam Noah/Aaron Grey

CHI depth chart now
PG: Derrick Rose/Kyle Lowry
SG: Cuttino Mobley/Thabo Safolsha
SF: Luol Deng/Francisco Garcia
PF: Andrei Kirlenko/Drew Gooden
C: Jokiam Noah/Mikki Moore

The Bulls are now very young with great contracts and can now run n gun with the best of them
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,090

Post#134 » by dockingsched » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:42 am

eitanr wrote:4. dcash4 vs. 8. bryant08

What are the Indiana Pacers doing? I myself am not quite too sure. Maybe you have a better idea than me. Irregardless you can devise one of two plans for them.

Either A: Give Indy a nice rebuilding plan in which they secure young assets, thinner contracts, and potentially more draft picks.

Or B: Devise a plan that improves the Pacers PF slot and ultimately makes them competitive for the playoffs while not sacrificing their future.

Whoever makes the better of either plan wins the scenario.

Granger is high valued. MKD is somewhat highly valued as well.

Pacers send: Rasho Nesterovic, Marquis Daniels

Pacers receive: Lamar Odom

Why? get the power forward that will help them make a push for the playoffs. it doesn't cost them any pieces for the future and they don't* take additional salary.

ford/dunleavy/granger/odom/foster

Lakers send: Lamar Odom

Lakers receive: Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal

get a sf that will fit right in with fisher/kobe/gasol/bynum. they take on one additionaly yr of cardinal salary as a price.

fisher/bryant/miller/gasol/bynum

Wolves send: Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal

Wolves receive: Rasho Nesterovic, Marquis Daniels

they drop 15 million in salary next yr giving them maximum cap space to add a piece to foye/brewer/love/jefferson. in the meantime, they get a legitimate veteran center and a fill in sg who's player option they will decline. both love and jefferson will benefit from rasho's off-court and on-court experience.

foye/max cap space/brewer/jefferson/love

edit: *
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
OtisThorpe
Senior
And1: 0

Post#135 » by OtisThorpe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:30 am

can't complain with the judging.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#136 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Congratulations to randomhero423 and the other contestants moving on in this tournament. I will do my best to keep up with the goings-on here, as these tourneys seem to churn out fresh ideas on this board better than anything else.

I will say, however, that I think it's a bit uneven to judge my trade harshly based on HOU moving Battier with the arrival of Artest, when the likelihood of POR moving Rudy AND Outlaw is just as infinitesimally small, if not more so. And I fail to see how I underestimated Gerald Wallace.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Sports Arsenal
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#137 » by Sports Arsenal » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:46 pm

OtisThorpe wrote:can't complain with the judging.

No doubt... these guys have been dead on with their comments about our trades. Even the ones that did not vote for me, I believe they were correct. They have been very fair. Thanks guys keep up the good work.
sterncohen
Bench Warmer
And1: 38

Post#138 » by sterncohen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:52 pm

(Improve the Bulls)

Trade #1:
Chicago in / Utah out - Mehmet Okur, Ronnie Brewer, Matt Harpring
Chicago out / Utah in – Ben Gordon (s&t)*, Andres Nocioni
(* A starting salary of approx. $10.8M will make the numbers work – so Gordon gets either a flat or declining contract starting with that figure)
Why for Utah: Acquire a big-time scorer, plus Nocioni’s toughness, while sorting out their positional mess. They’re well positioned for an immediate championship run with
Boozer / Koufos
Kirilenko / Millsap
Nocioni / Korver
Gordon / Miles
D. Williams / Price

Trade #2:
Chicago in / Miami out: Udonis Haslem, Mario Chalmers, Joel Anthony (non-guaranteed, waived)
Chicago out / Miami in: Kirk Hinrich
Why for Miami: Gets them the veteran PG they want, and clears their logjam at PF.
Blount / Marion / Beasley / Wade / Hinrich
Bench: still mostly stiffs

Trade #3:
Chicago in / New Orleans out: Julian Wright, Rasual Butler, Hilton Armstrong
Chicago out / New Orleans in: Drew Gooden, Aaron Gray
Why for New Orleans: Their only major obstacle to a championship push is a truly awful set of big men off the bench. When Melvin Ely is playing minutes for you in the playoffs, you’re in trouble. They value Wright, but they’re overloaded on the wings with long-term commitments to Peja, Peterson, and Posey. So they move Wright to fill their bench need at PF.

Adding it all up for Chicago:
Okur / Noah
Haslem / T. Thomas
Deng / J. Wright / Harpring
Brewer / Sefolosha / Hughes
Rose / Chalmers

Why (talent): Okur and Haslem are veterans who will play solid ball, giving Thomas and Noah a chance to play 20+ minutes a night and continue developing without having to take over before they’re ready. Brewer is a perfect complement to Rose in the backcourt and Deng on the wing – an excellent defender who will guard the other team’s best scorer, doesn’t need the ball, but can score when he’s got it. Wright and Chalmers are good young talents.
Why (money): They clear the salaries of Hinrich and Nocioni, replacing them with a bunch of guys (Okur, Harpring, Haslem) whose contracts expire after next year (same time as Larry Hughes), positioning them to be strong players in the big free agent summer of 2010.
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#139 » by skorff26 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:09 pm

eitanr wrote:1. skorff26 vs. 4. wezbo

The Clippers are coming off an action packed off-season. They went from the high of signing B-Diddy to the low of losing Elton Brand. Now they are left with a roster that may be competitive for that last seed out West, but more than likely just doesn't seem talented enough to make it to the playoffs.

Devise a plan that gets the Clippers one step closer to the playoffs. Remember unlike a Dallas, or possibly Denver situation, the Clippers are not too desperate. Also recall that it could be harder to unload Camby due to his age and the fact that LA just acquired him. On the other hand, dealing Kaman is a high risk move and could hurt the Clipps future. I am looking for a relatively safe move that doesn't hurt LA long term.

B. Davis and Camby are hard to deal since LA just acquired them etc. Gordon and Thornton are highly valued commodities.

Well this was kind of hard. First, I decided not to trade gordon or thorton, and I didn't want to add salary past 2010 because we didn't want to hurt the clippers in the future, as it was stated in the scenario. Next, you asked for a relatively safe move, and trading kaman is anything but safe, so I threw that out. So, I decided to try and get contracts that expire in 2010 (to keep capspace) without giving up our young players or kaman. So, here's my attempt at it.

Clippers out: DeAndre Jordan, Cutino Mobley, Tim Thomas, rights to 2009 MN 1st rounder with the protections
Clippers in: stephen jackson, al harrington
Why? The get a player in jackson who can contribute and play significant minutes at SG and some backup SF. Also harrington could play lots of minutes at PF because behind kaman and camby they are pretty thin.

GS out: Jackson, Harrington
in: jordan, mobley, thomas, rights to MN 1st
Why? Harrington is in the way of all their young players and is expendable with their talent at SF and Pf(turiaf, randolph, wright, and mags). Jackson's loss will hurt, but with him departing, the young guys can play more. Also, they pick up another 1st rounder, and a player who has a ton of potential in jordan.
eitanr
General Manager

Re: TRADE TOURNAMENT by eitanr - Round 2->Tuesday at 12PM ET DL 

Post#140 » by eitanr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:14 pm

CellarDoor,

I like the idea a lot. Maxiel is the kind of guy that would fill in nicely at the 4 with Memphis. He will recieve ample minutes and majority of the touches in the post. He can open up the floor for Gay and Mayo. He'd be a mainstay in Memphis' future front court.

Unsure if the Nuggets do this deal though. They overrate Kileza like crazy and may overvalue him to such a degree. If I'm Denver, I do like this deal and pull the trigger regardless.

Dealing Maxiel makes sense since his value is at its highest and the Pistonss have Amir Johnson and Brown backing up their 4/5. Klieza could fit well in their system and could turn this deal into Detroit's favor as well..

Great Job Overall!

ShaqSux,

This deal is also nice, solid, and simple. The Heat are probably takers in this trade since they acquire a much needed center in Darko and move an expenadable 4. The Grizz could probably get more out of this deal say a future 2nd rd pick etc....but that's just nitty gritty. Overall this is a nice solid deal.

I don't think Haslem is the exact 4 the Grizz are looking for. Haslem fits better alongside a dominant 5 man (Shaq, Duncan etc) and could play that Kurt Thomas role (hit mid range jumpers and play solid post D). I don't see him as ever becoming a dominant 4 whatsoever, or really being able to command a double team etc.

I see Maxiell as a better long term option for Memphis at the 4 spot and though both deals were great.....My Vote goes to CellarDoor.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games