TRADE TOURNAMENT by eitanr - CellarDoor is the winner!

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Re: TRADE TOURNAMENT by eitanr - Rd 2->Vintage, please judge 

Post#161 » by skorff26 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:27 pm

eitanr wrote:Western Conference Championship:

1. skorff26 vs. 2. CellarDoor

The LA Lakers tasted the finals last season.

This up coming season they tout a nice looking lineup and should be looking forward to Andrew Bynum being healthy. The team did lose Ronny Turiaf in the off-season and their backup front court seems somewhat suspectible. Some also feel that Odom does not fit in a front court rotation with Gasol and Bynum.

Construct a plan that places the Lakers in better position to win the title this up coming season (and future seasons as well). Make sure these players coming in fit well with the remainder of the lineup and coach Jackson's philosophy.

Trade 1
Milwaukee out: Joe Alexander, Damon Jones, Dan Gadzuric, Adrian Griffin
in: Lamar Odom
Why? They trade for their PF in odom. With the acquisition of RJ, Milwaukee is trying to compete for the playoffs. Odom will bring them closer to their goal. Also, they get rid of gadzuric's contract.
Ridnour/Sessions/Lue
Redd/Bell/Sessions
RJ/CV/a Moute
Odom/CV/Allen
Bogut/Elson/Allen

Minnesota out: Jason Collins, Mike Miller
in: Joe Alexander, Damon Jones, Trevor Ariza, Adrian Griffin
Why? Well losing Mike Miller hurts, but by bringing in another very talented young guy in Alexander; they could be set for the future with a lineup of Foye/Brewer/Alexander/Jefferson/Love with telfair/mccants/gomes/smith off of the bench

Lakers out: Trevor Ariza, Lamar Odom
in: Jason Collins, Dan Gadzuric, Mike Miller
Why? They get the perfect SF in Mike Miller. He can shoot and spread the floor for the Lakers. Also, they need some front court depth and Gadzuric and Collins bring that. If the Lakers need some offense up front they can put in Gadzuric, and if they need defense they got Collins.
Fisher/Farmer/Yue
Kobe/Vujacic/Karl
Miller/Radmanovic/Walton
Gasol/Collins/Powell/Mbenga
Bynum/Gadzuric/Mihm/Collins
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,090

Post#162 » by dockingsched » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 pm

eitanr wrote:Eastern Conference Championship:

3. sterncohen vs. 4. dcash4

The Toronto Raptors made one of the more gutty moves of the off-season by acquiring Jermaine O'neal.

The Raptors seem pretty content with their big trio of Bosh-JO-Calderon. The only question is who will help them from the wing department?

Parker-Moon-Kapono-Graham is a very meh wing rotation for any club, especially one that is trying to advance in the post season.

Construct a plan that gives the Raptors a better and more sensible wing rotation. One that could have this team playing in the 2nd rd next season.

TORONTO sends: Andrea Bargnani, Joey Graham

why?
calderon/parker/jackson/bosh/o'neal is formidable starting line up. they give up their recent number one pick, but with the trade for o'neal there doesn't seem to be a huge commitment to developing him anymore. jackson brings the defense/shooting/toughness that the raptors desperately need at sf.

GSW sends: Stephen Jackson

why? team continues the retooling process by trading away a player that does not fit into their future plans and is already asking for an extension. Although Don Nelson may have his years coaching numbered, a player like Bargnani could benefit greatly from playing under him and his style.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 300

Re: TRADE TOURNAMENT by eitanr - Conference Championship 

Post#163 » by eitanr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:28 pm

First off I want to thank both participants for a swift response. Now onto the judging....

CellarDoor,

Let me break your scenario down with each team in the deal. The Lakers should consider your move. They get a nice fit in their system with Battier. Shane is the type of player that won't take big risk or demand any shots away from KB or Gasol and spreads the floor nicely. He would also take pressure off of Kobe on the defensive end. While Odom's talents may be greater than Battier, the fact is he doesn't fit too well in LA's current linup/ system and his market value has gone down over the years.

Houston should also be interested. I don't care what they say, but Battier has got to be expendable after the Artest acquisition. Perhaps the Rockets are playing it safe and would like to see how Artest plays in red before deciding on Shane's fate...regardless the Rockets should consider this move. They add Noch and Kirk who are defensive minded players with nice shooting abilities. This improves the Rocket's talent levels and should place them in contention out West.

Chicago listens as well. They unload the contracts of Hinrich and Noch while getting a player that is expiring and can fit into their PF rotation. Alston is also a nice spare PG who can help Rose along in that system.

Washington may consider this deal. There involvement in it though makes it a bit longer than it needs to me. That's really my only knock on this plan. Overall great Job!

skorff26,

I like the idea of Odom in Milwuakee, I just can't see the Bucks wanting to deal Joe Alexander before he steps on the court. Yes with RJ there Alexander may not be as useful, but the Bucks' brain trust was very high on this kid and would at least want to give him a shot before they deal him for a short term solution at the 4 slot.

I do believe LA considers this deal. They would like a shooter alongside KB and Miller more than fits that bill. This furthers LA's offensive prowess and really makes them a team to beat out West. Minny probably likes this idea as well as they net another lotto talent for their youth movement. Overall nice job.

In the end my vote has to go to Cellar Door.

The Lakers biggest concerns in the finals was defense amongst other issues. Battier would vastly improve LA defensivley (as does Bynum's arrival) and does enough offensivley to make defenders think twice about doubling the Lakers' stars. Miller is a terrific player, but doesn't fit as well in LA as Battier would.

Also I just can't see the Bucks doing the trade you made. They wouldn't let go of Alexander so hasitly unless they get a long term solutiona at the 4, not a short term one.

Great job by both participants.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#164 » by CellarDoor » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:57 pm

eitanr wrote:Chicago listens as well. They unload the contracts of Hinrich and Noch while getting a player that is expiring and can fit into their PF rotation. Alston is also a nice spare PG who can help Rose along in that system.

Washington may consider this deal. There involvement in it though makes it a bit longer than it needs to me. That's really my only knock on this plan. Overall great Job!

I was afraid someone might mention the Washington portion. The reasoning there for it being feasible is that first of all Washington would do it almost definitely. It commutes some depth from C to PF, which they have an excess of and it gives them breathing room next year. For Chicago, we do it to ensure Tyrus doesn't get buried on the bench behind Odom and Gooden. Thanks for the vote though.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
sterncohen
Bench Warmer
And1: 38

Post#165 » by sterncohen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 pm

Nice trade, DCash.

Toronto in / Indiana out:
Mike Dunleavy Jr.
Jeff Foster

Indiana in / Toronto out:
Andrea Bargnani
Anthony Parker
Kris Humphries
2010 Toronto 2nd-round pick

Why for Toronto: Straightforward - Dunleavy brings offensive ability not matched by any of their other wings - especially from 3-point range - and Foster gives them a veteran true C off the bench behind O'Neal.

Why for Indiana: A tougher case, but hear me out. Indiana makes two gambles here - that Bargnani will develop into a good player, or that Dunleavy's season last year - the only good season of his career - was a fluke. Only one of those gambles has to pay off for this trade to benefit them. If it's the first (Bargnani develops), they've filled their biggest need, at PF, with a young player who fits beautifully into a future starting five of Ford / Rush / Granger / Bargnani / Hibbert. If it's the second (Dunleavy regresses), they're out from under what was universally seen as a terrible contract before last year. Meanwhile, Parker plays the role of steady veteran presence at SG for a year or two, and Humphries, who had a fine year himself last year, takes a shot at replacing the popular but ageing Foster as an inexpensive, capable big-man backup.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#166 » by VintaGe36 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:20 pm

eitanr wrote:Western Conference Championship:

The LA Lakers tasted the finals last season.

This up coming season they tout a nice looking lineup and should be looking forward to Andrew Bynum being healthy. The team did lose Ronny Turiaf in the off-season and their backup front court seems somewhat suspectible. Some also feel that Odom does not fit in a front court rotation with Gasol and Bynum.

Construct a plan that places the Lakers in better position to win the title this up coming season (and future seasons as well). Make sure these players coming in fit well with the remainder of the lineup and coach Jackson's philosophy.

Skorff, your deal was pretty good, very similar to the RJ trade over the summer. However I'm not sure if MIL is so willing to part with their lottery rookie.

CellarDoor, your trade is also pretty good.

HOU Get's a PG, and a SF who can help them win now.

a 1-2-3 of Kirk/Tmac/Artest sounds sick nasty at D.

HOU ditch some of their longterm commitments.

They may take a hit talent wise, but they acquire contracts that all expiring at the same time.

Overall, my vote goes to CellarDoor, I like the prospect of what his trade does to LAL and HOU, and how it rebuilds CHI.
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#167 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 pm

well it looks like cellardoor won his round; i would've voted for him anyway.

now as for dcash vs. sterncohen...

both trades have the same premise, but i think dcash's is better and more realistic. 1) The Warriors could very easily trade Jackson this season, and Bargnani is good value and a good fit for them. Jackson is the perfect swingman for the Raptors. Sterncohen, your trade is OK, but I think the Raptors overpay a little bit. Overall, I think dcash's trade's more realistic and straight-forward, so he gets my vote.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#168 » by CellarDoor » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:40 pm

LBJ4MVP23 wrote:well it looks like cellardoor won his round; i would've voted for him anyway.

now as for dcash vs. sterncohen...

both trades have the same premise, but i think dcash's is better and more realistic. 1) The Warriors could very easily trade Jackson this season, and Bargnani is good value and a good fit for them. Jackson is the perfect swingman for the Raptors. Sterncohen, your trade is OK, but I think the Raptors overpay a little bit. Overall, I think dcash's trade's more realistic and straight-forward, so he gets my vote.

Now just make sure the last round gets evaluated fairly. I don't want Cash's spot as commissioner to make me get robbed :lol:
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#169 » by skorff26 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:09 pm

Great job CellarDoor and good luck in the finals.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#170 » by dockingsched » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:23 am

i feel kinda disrespected with VintaGe36 deciding to ignore my trade and sterncohen's. :(
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#171 » by VintaGe36 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:49 am

eitanr wrote:Eastern Conference Championship:

3. sterncohen vs. 4. dcash4

The Toronto Raptors made one of the more gutty moves of the off-season by acquiring Jermaine O'neal.

The Raptors seem pretty content with their big trio of Bosh-JO-Calderson. The only question is who will help them from the wing department?

Parker-Moon-Kapono-Graham is a very meh wing rotation for any club, especially one that is trying to advance in the post season.

Construct a plan that gives the Raptors a better and more sensible wing rotation. One that could have this team playing in the 2nd rd next season.

Sorry about that Dcash, could've sworn I replied.

Anyways.

Dcash, you made a simple swap of Jax for Barg. Jax provides Defense, Range, and toughness to a team in need of that from the perimeter.

Sterncohen, you had TOR acquiring Mike Dunleavy. Dunleavy just came off a very good year, but prior to that, he was very BAD. So I'm still not completely sold on him. I also think S-Jax helps their team better, as he can D up better than Dunleavy. Another plus for S-Jax is that he plays with a lot of enthusiasm.

Overall, both trades are good, and though TOR ALSO got Foster in Stern's deal(he would do great in IND as the primary back up for the 4/5.) I like Dcash's trade.

So my vote goes to Dcash4.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by CellarDoor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:24 pm

You're going down, Cash.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#173 » by dockingsched » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:52 pm

whats it going to be this time cellar? 6 team trade? or reaching for the magical 10 team trade?

:)
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#174 » by CellarDoor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Yeah yeah, just make sure I don't get trades vetoed in the gm-a-team game because i whooped you here.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by VintaGe36 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Your both just lucky I'm JUDGING.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#176 » by CellarDoor » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:43 pm

VintaGe36 wrote:Your both just lucky I'm JUDGING.

I suppose I am. I actually wanted competition.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 300

Post#177 » by eitanr » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:59 pm

The Finals:

dash4 vs. CellarDoor

This huge tourney started with 16 very talented traders and is now down to the final 2. I want to give thanks to everyone who participated and the judges who have done a stellar job thus far.

The Golden State Warriors were in the playoffs a short while ago, but now seem to be going into a steady slow decline. They signed Monta Ellis to a large extension over the summer, but now the gaurd out of HS in Mississippi is hurt to start the year. Things aren't looking spectacular in the Golden State.

Scenario: Chris Mullin and Don Nelson both get fired and you are hired as GM to get a new coach and rebuild this franchise. You are given 3 seasons to get this club to become a playoff perennial team. You can create any style you feel is best to succeed and hire the necessary coach and sign the necessary players. Keep in mind the cap situations and if you want to jump for free agency and who you'll sign (be realistic). Check shamsports.com for salaries etc.

Construct a 3 year plan (show likley team year by year (08-09,09-10,10-11....use lotto picks etc as to what positions they'd play) filled with trades this year and signings in the future that can make the Warriors a perrenial playoff team in 3 seasons.

Be sure to include the playing style and the coaching hiring. No one on the team is off-limits in any trade.

Best of Luck!
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#178 » by CellarDoor » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Ouch. DCash was commenting about a 10 team trade in jest, but this is tempting me!
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by CellarDoor » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Golden Rebuild
Golden State, in my opinion, made a horrible mistake this summer. They committed themselves to mediocrity with their signings combined with the loss of Baron Davis. I have been given three years to rebuild this team: I take this to mean I essentially have a get out of jail free card in the meantime, so I can afford to develop some guys. Monta, when he returns, will be given the reigns to start at PG and develop into that role. Biedrins is quick enough to get by playing at either big position while Wright is really only capable of playing PF, so I will look for either another guy to play PF/C, or I will find a pure C. Maggette shouldn't have even been signed after the loss of Baron Davis. We will attempt to move him as well as other assets to acquire a shooting guard and fill out our team.

2008-2009 Season
Trade 1: Pre-Trade deadline 2008(9)
Golden State out: Maggette, SJax, Bellinelli (16,862,582)
Golden State in: Mobley, Gordon, Jordan, 09 1st (12,098,200)
Why? Jackson has already been stirring. Like Artest, and Terrell Owens, Jackson can only stay in one place for so long before he gets ancy. He needs to be shipped out to avoid having an adverse effect on our future players. Gordon and Jordan are two high reward type prospects and Mobley is a great fill-in SG while Gordon develops.

Toronto out: Bargniani, Graham (7,625,624)
Toronto in: Maggette, Skinner(9,538,137)
Why? There have been rumbles that Toronto intends to start Barney at the 3. This is obviously not the greatest situation to place him in. They get him out and get a real SF in return. Skinner replaces the big man depth they lack after this trade.

Los Angeles out: Mobley, Gordon, Jordan, Skinner, 09 1st (13,360,475)
Los Angeles in: Sjax, Bargniani, Graham, Bellinelli (16,212,344)
Why? Davis, Jax, Thornton, Camby, Kaman. That's an absolutely sickening starting lineup and they've got depth too with Bargniani. They give up prospects, but gain a lineup that can compete now, which seems to what what Sterling wants to do. If it doesn't work out, Sterling isn't under any more financial obligation with these two then he would be otherwise.

Post-Trade GSW Lineup:
Ellis, Williams
Mobley, Gordon
Randolph, Harrington
Wright, Turiaf
Biedrins, Jordan

Draft: we will have two picks in the first round as well as our own 2nd rounder. Our pick will probably be in the 5-8 range luck not withstanding. The first half of the season we will be without Monta, and after the trade we'll be withot two of our only three true scorers. The trade will allow us to evaluate Randolph and Wright to see what we really have there. Since both of these players CAN play PF, but only one should really spend time at SF, we will look to draft a swing man at the 2/3 with our high pick. The late first from LAC and our second will be used on PG depth and a flier on a big.
2009-2010 Season
Trade deadline 2009(10)
Special note: it's incredibly hard to forecast what another team is going to do, but I think my premise is solid given the circumstances:

Golden State out: Turiaf, Mobley (13,750,000)
Golden State in: James, Butler, Brown (cut and sent back) 2010 1st, 2011 2nd. (11,519,172)
Why? Mobley at this point is an expiring, a year older, and a valuable role player. Unfortunately valuable roleplayers don't have a lot of place on a rebuilding team. They offload Mobley and Turiaf's 2 year deal in exchange for expirings and picks.

New Orleans out: James, Butler, Brown (cut and sent back) 2010 1st, 2011 2nd (11,519.172)
New Orleans in: Turiaf, Mobley (13,750,000)
NOH is so close to a championship they can taste it. Turiaf and Mobley provide key guys with playoff experience to perform for them down the stretch. Golden State's "finders fee" is a pair of picks and cutting a year off of Turiaf's salary.

Post Trade GSW Lineup
Ellis, Williams, late pick
Gordon, Azibuike
Randolph, lotto pick
Wright, Randolph, late pick
Biedrins, Jordan, late pick

At this point one of two things have happened: 1, we suck. Badly. We've got a lotto pick to develop along with Ellis and Beans, but some combination or all of Wright, Randolph, Gordon, and Jordan are atrocious. All is not lost though, we have an obscene amount of capspace and even more if we don't pick up their team options, and we have a very, very high pick in 2010. The best case scenario if we suck is we land Ricky Rubio who comes in to form quite possibly the most electrifying back court ever.
2, we don't suck. Gordon, Randolph, and co have blossomed nicely and look poised to do some damage. We've got a late lotto pick and a ton of capspace: as Kevin Pritchard will so eloquently demonstrate this summer, cap space and a lot of assets makes for a lot of S/T and outright signing possibilities.
2010-2011 Season
At this point it would be preposterous to even theorize a trade, but the plan is that we are in a position similar to a Portland now or a Boston of a year ago, we've got a lot of young assets that i'm not afraid to use, or I've already used them and we're running a lineup with Bosh at PF.
Rubio, Ellis
Ellis, Gordon
Randolph, lotto pick
Bosh, Wright
Biedrins, Jordan
+assorted other picks to fill out the bench or upgrade the SF slot if Randolph disappoints.
Thanks for running the tourney Eitanr, it was a good first time for me.

Edited to include salaries for clarification.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: TRADE TOURNAMENT by eitanr - The Finals -dash4 v. CellarDoor 

Post#180 » by dockingsched » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:58 pm

woah. i probably won't be able to get anything up today, sorry for the wait cellar.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games