Gm A Team - how much longer?

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Re: Gm A Team - how much longer? 

Post#21 » by TMACFORMVP » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:16 am

I think two months sounds good, generally every competition in the past have at least gone four something months (last one far too long), I know I'm not done with my roster, haven't been as active as I'd like to be with school and all, but I'd be real disappointed if I finished with the lineup that I currently have since I do have a vision for this that I feel can be accomplished. Uncharacteristic too considering in the past three competitions, I've made over 30 transactions each, I better get to work, haha.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#22 » by roc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:57 am

^2 months is great... if you have a bunch of vets and you know what to expect from them.

I think the All Star break is the perfect cutoff as it will give us time to see how the younger players develop... or bust. I feel that is important when it comes to judging how rebuilding teams did with the deals they made. Part of the fun IMO is seeing how your new players work out.

I expect to see trades pick up drastically once the season is underway. I have been very busy already(6 trades) in the dismantling/rebuilding of my team but I still expect to do more as the season progresses. I don't know if I will get anywhere close to 30 trades though. :o
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#23 » by Gremz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm going for the high score!!!
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#24 » by bcortell » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:49 pm

since this is about the end of the game and dcash said it might be a good idea to see what other people think, how do you guys want to decide draft order? two ideas are that we base it off of real nba standings or that we have someone decide the order based on our teams (which seems pretty difficult to do).. any other suggestions or input?
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by roc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:01 pm

bcortell wrote:since this is about the end of the game and dcash said it might be a good idea to see what other people think, how do you guys want to decide draft order? two ideas are that we base it off of real nba standings or that we have someone decide the order based on our teams (which seems pretty difficult to do).. any other suggestions or input?

Didn't know we were figuring out draft order but obviously my rebuilding Pistons are likely to land in the lottery while the real ones are likely close to the bottom of the 1st round. I based trading away a LP 1st on the fact my team would need a year or two to even make the playoffs. Some teams will be much worse and some much better than their RL counterparts.
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#26 » by bcortell » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:58 pm

well the draft is something that we will need to figure out eventually so why not now?

I do agree.. the same is with miami (who could be a bottom feeder in real life) but in the game the have a pretty formidable team..

The problem with going with the game is that we then need to figure out the draft order based on how the teams look.. which is pretty difficult to do, even as if we brought in a third party. And since RL teams now look a lot different than rosters in the game, I'm not sure that's fair either..
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by roc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:36 pm

Why not have a vote to determine order? That is the only way I can foresee a reasonably fair outcome.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Gremz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 pm

^^I'm definitely keen for a vote, i feel as though my current Dallas team's draft selection would not be vindicated by the nba team's status, ie i could end up with a 25 pick for a team that is lottery bound. I also have major interest in it due to having four 1st round selections.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Gremz » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:13 pm

Just a thought, i do have 2k9, so i can update all rosters and run simulation X amount of times to determine the order if all agree to that. Then just take each team's average spot and lock that in maybe??
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 977

Post#30 » by Mascot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:40 pm

Gremz wrote:Just a thought, i do have 2k9, so i can update all rosters and run simulation X amount of times to determine the order if all agree to that. Then just take each team's average spot and lock that in maybe??

I think we should do a sim league thing on 2k9 that would be fine by me...even for the WIN of the championship
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Gremz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:33 am

^^Perhaps we can get an impartial party to run the simulations?? Maybe dcash if he has the game maybe?? That way all question of cheating would be removed from the equation.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by roc » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:37 am

That sounds like a giant pain in the ass.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Gremz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:46 am

True, i'd be willing to do it though. Perhaps i can send screenshoots with the time to verify the random results???
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#34 » by TMACFORMVP » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:21 am

Simulation is too complicated, then all we'd have to do is acquire players that were good in the video games, how many people would honestly take Marbury over a Rondo type player, but in the video game a player like Marbury would be ranked better. And it also punishes teams that are tanking considering they likely wouldn't fair as well, but if it was just a side "for fun" activity, then I'd be ALL for it, just not too sold on it if it was a deciding factor in who would actually be the winner of the game.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,091

Post#35 » by dockingsched » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:22 am

as far as the picks, i was under the impression people valued the draft picks according to their real life counter parts.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Gremz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:17 am

^^It's definitely the easiest method, i'll give you that. To be honest though, can you see my current Dallas team for example be worth a 20+ pick, i'll accept whatever decision is made gracefully, just seeing if there's any other alternative out there.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by roc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:59 am

dcash4 wrote:as far as the picks, i was under the impression people valued the draft picks according to their real life counter parts.

That is a huge blow to rebuilding teams and a huge boon to teams going the other direction. I traded a pick with lottery protection in 09/10 based on the fact my team(not the real Pistons) would be lottery bound.

It is not so hard to figure out a reasonable draft order at the end of the trading period. It could easily be accomplished with a vote just like the winners in both categories will be decided.

I just don't see it as being remotely fair to rank the draft order based on real life counter parts.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Gremz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:23 am

TMACFORMVP wrote:Simulation is too complicated, then all we'd have to do is acquire players that were good in the video games, how many people would honestly take Marbury over a Rondo type player, but in the video game a player like Marbury would be ranked better. And it also punishes teams that are tanking considering they likely wouldn't fair as well, but if it was just a side "for fun" activity, then I'd be ALL for it, just not too sold on it if it was a deciding factor in who would actually be the winner of the game.

To be honest man, i was only thinking of draft order. I really don't think anything but a vote should be used to determine the eventual winner. It would simply be used as a tool to gauge where teams would lie in the draft synopsis.

I guess the major vote is against the 2k9 simulation however anyways, so it's probably a dead theory.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#39 » by bryant08 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:03 pm

My suggestion is do an activity check. See how many people respond within a 1 day time period to an e-mail sent to the one they gave at the beginning of the competition. If they don't reply, let's find some new replacements. If we want to keep this exciting, I think it may be the only way.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by roc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:59 pm

^^^ not a bad idea even though I expect things to pick up after the season is underway.

AND

just to reiterate my point about the draft

Is there any way in Hell that a team with Billups/Johnson/Sheed/Yao end up with the number 1 pick in the draft? Unless it was an unprotected pick they recieved from a bad team. I don't think so.

I would be fine letting Gremz do a sim if he wants, I would also be fine with a vote. I will NOT be fine with going off of last season's positions as it is easily the most unfair route to choose.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games