Gm A Team - how much longer?

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,092

Re: Gm A Team - how much longer? 

Post#41 » by dockingsched » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:15 pm

i don't think anyone has suggested using last years order. doesn't make sense at all.

my post referred to their real life counter parts in the upcoming season. like if the game ends mid december, we use the current standings. again, i was just under the impression people were using the quality of the real life team when gauging the value of a pick. if people were already valuing a pick according to the quality of the team in the game, thats even better and determining a draft order would be a lot of fun no matter how we went about it.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#42 » by roc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Even in real life when a team trades for a pick they have no idea whether the team they got the pick from will stay the course. A team can make trades to get a ton better like Boston did making the team that traded for the draft pick all of a sudden get a much worse pick than they had originally anticipated. Phoenix/Atlanta is a good example of the opposite happening. Atlanta did poorly, got lucky in the lottery and ended up keeping that pick for another year due to landing in the top 3. The next year, they make the playoffs and the pick becomes less valuable. Trading away/Trading for picks is and should be a gamble.

So any team expecting to see that LP protectd 1st land in thier lap based on how the real life counterparts do is sorely mistaken IMO.

As for the Miami example. Even if we go by their real life counterpart it would most likely be a lottery pick when the game version would be towards the end of the round.

There really is only a couple of proper/fair ways to decide draft order. Sim or Vote.

Without either some of the incentive to rebuild and or trade LP picks is lost.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by dockingsched » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:44 pm

r0cd0gg, you're arguing for which way is better, i'm not. i'm just stating what i thought people were going by.

your way is MUCH better if thats what people were going by from the beginning. again, i'm not arguing which way is better.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by roc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:51 pm

I see said the blind man. I don't think it was ever hashed out to begin with.

In my case I was obviously going by what my team's direction was when I traded away a LP 1st.

I can't speak for anyone else's mind frame when they traded away/for a pick though...
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#45 » by TMACFORMVP » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Yeah it probably should have been more clear in the beginning, but in the past competitions, that's how it's been, the pick was based on what place the team finishes in real life.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by roc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:36 pm

TMACFORMVP wrote:Yeah it probably should have been more clear in the beginning, but in the past competitions, that's how it's been, the pick was based on what place the team finishes in real life.

I wasn't involved in those and luckily for us this is a new chapter and it was never discussed beforehand...

:pray:

IMNSHO the old ones got it WRONG as it is just plain UNFAIR
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#47 » by bryant08 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:28 am

^Actually it really isn't unfair. You make a deal based on where you think a team is going to finish in the standings in REAL LIFE, since in this game it's hard to tell where a team will end up getting judged. I think most people had already assumed that was how it was going to be conducted, I mean coming up with our own standings/order would be rather difficult since it would be judged 100% subjectively by the judges or even if it was done by all managers, there would still be issues.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by roc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:23 am

I disagree
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#49 » by bcortell » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:52 pm

I'm glad i brought this up now before the game got any farther. :D

I also think that that it would be difficult to judge how the teams would finish- it being subjective. It leaves a lot to be desired as far as team chemistry and what not.

I was going by real life- but then again, i was here last game. I know as much as we assume it was real life you assumed it was by the game- so it would have been smart to email dcash and ask him (it was actually the second time i emailed him about the draft that he responded to)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by dockingsched » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:00 pm

i'll make a poll.

please vote
viewtopic.php?f=340&t=844973

all draft order discussion will go on over there please.

judging process and game end date will continue to be discussed here.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by roc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:22 pm

sounds good, thanks dcash4
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:29 am

i'm going to throw out a final judging idea....

two categories....

BEST rebuilding improvement

BEST contender improvement

for each category, each gm ranks the top 8 teams (excluding their own team).

1. 8 points
2. 7 points
7. 2 points
8. 1 point

Return to Trades and Transactions Games