FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Re: FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22 

Post#61 » by damecurry » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:10 am

Okay I think I wanna keep it simple and just do an all-time draft where Pre-Merger everyone's available and post-merger is no all-stars. I guess it's pretty similar to the MVP draft so we can wait a bit on it but yeah I wanna do that one eventually.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,585

Post#62 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:52 am

damecurry wrote:Okay I think I wanna keep it simple and just do an all-time draft where Pre-Merger everyone's available and post-merger is no all-stars. I guess it's pretty similar to the MVP draft so we can wait a bit on it but yeah I wanna do that one eventually.

Pre Merger MVPs is a little bit top heavy. Maybe pre 1990 for everyone's available is a better idea.

Or you could have something like

Pre 1990: Everyone available
90s and 00s: No MVPs (or no 1st team All NBAs)
10s: No All-stars
damecurry
General Manager

Post#63 » by damecurry » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:59 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
damecurry wrote:Okay I think I wanna keep it simple and just do an all-time draft where Pre-Merger everyone's available and post-merger is no all-stars. I guess it's pretty similar to the MVP draft so we can wait a bit on it but yeah I wanna do that one eventually.

Pre Merger MVPs is a little bit top heavy. Maybe pre 1990 for everyone's available is a better idea.

Or you could have something like

Pre 1990: Everyone available
90s and 00s: No MVPs (or no 1st team All NBAs)
10s: No All-stars

Hmm, well we have to define if it's when guys entered the league or just season chosen that's restricted by era. I think I prefer it as just seasons chosen, so like in your pre-90s example MJ is eligible but only his 80s seasons... Idk.

I'd go for something like:
Pre-Merger: no restriction
77-90: No MVPs but everyone else available.
91-10: No All-NBA 1st or 2nd
11-21: No All-Stars

Idk maybe getting too convoluted now.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,834

Post#64 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:01 pm

At some point in the near future I'd like to do something like a 2010s to now with additional restrictions (maybe you can't use the same franchise twice or something).

Part of it is just wanting to make it more challenging to put a team together. I also think it starts to get a little stilted when we're judging 70s or 80s players against 2010s while mostly using modern rules.

Sometimes you'll get this clamour for older eras, but it's really just the same superstars being chosen with a handful of role players sprinkled in. The guys we really never see are current players beyond a handful that everyone picks. You'll never see a LaVine or a Booker for example unless it's a very specific theme.

Just my two cents.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#65 » by Colbinii » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:18 pm

wackbone wrote:The List Draft

Normal draft order procedure. Everyone knows the order each round.

We would need a "commissioner"

At the start of the round, everyone sends the commissioner their List with who they want to take out of the available players. This pick remains a secret until the end of the round.

Ex. Let's say the pool is 2000-2021. The player with the first pick sends the commissioner a PM picking LeBron. The player with the second pick sends the commissioner a PM with 1. LeBron and 2. KD. The player with the third pick figures that LeBron has likely been taken (but again they don't actually KNOW, just making an educated guess) so they make their list 1. KG 2. Steph 3. KD. Fourth pick sends in 1. KG 2. KD 3. Steph 4. Kawhi. Etc etc. So then at the end of the round Team 1 gets LeBron, 2 gets KD, 3 gets KG, and 4 gets Steph.

Whatever your pick # is in a given round is how many guys you have to put on your list. The commissioner would reveal the picks at the end of the round. Then the process repeats for the 2nd round and so on.

We could discuss timeframe, any possible restrictions, any tweaks, and possibly randomizing the draft order each round so that 2 drafters don't have 1st pick half of the time, IDK.

Thoughts? Questions?

When is your spring break
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,403

Post#66 » by wackbone » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:38 pm

Colbinii wrote:

At the start of the round, everyone sends the commissioner their List with who they want to take out of the available players. This pick remains a secret until the end of the round.

Ex. Let's say the pool is 2000-2021. The player with the first pick sends the commissioner a PM picking LeBron. The player with the second pick sends the commissioner a PM with 1. LeBron and 2. KD. The player with the third pick figures that LeBron has likely been taken (but again they don't actually KNOW, just making an educated guess) so they make their list 1. KG 2. Steph 3. KD. Fourth pick sends in 1. KG 2. KD 3. Steph 4. Kawhi. Etc etc. So then at the end of the round Team 1 gets LeBron, 2 gets KD, 3 gets KG, and 4 gets Steph.

Whatever your pick # is in a given round is how many guys you have to put on your list. The commissioner would reveal the picks at the end of the round. Then the process repeats for the 2nd round and so on.

We could discuss timeframe, any possible restrictions, any tweaks, and possibly randomizing the draft order each round so that 2 drafters don't have 1st pick half of the time, IDK.

Thoughts? Questions?

I'd be willing to be the commissioner, in which case I could run this whenever. Could have a deadline for lists at like 7 pm and then 7 am for each round. Problem would be what happens if someone doesn't get one in on time. Otherwise we are waiting until mid-late April, or someone else would have to be the commissioner.

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#67 » by Colbinii » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:47 pm

wackbone wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Thoughts? Questions?

I'd be willing to be the commissioner, in which case I could run this whenever. Could have a deadline for lists at like 7 pm and then 7 am for each round. Problem would be what happens if someone doesn't get one in on time. Otherwise we are waiting until mid-late April, or someone else would have to be the commissioner.

I like the idea of a deadline.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
damecurry
General Manager

Post#68 » by damecurry » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:20 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:At some point in the near future I'd like to do something like a 2010s to now with additional restrictions (maybe you can't use the same franchise twice or something).

Part of it is just wanting to make it more challenging to put a team together. I also think it starts to get a little stilted when we're judging 70s or 80s players against 2010s while mostly using modern rules.

Sometimes you'll get this clamour for older eras, but it's really just the same superstars being chosen with a handful of role players sprinkled in. The guys we really never see are current players beyond a handful that everyone picks. You'll never see a LaVine or a Booker for example unless it's a very specific theme.

Just my two cents.

Well thats because of FGA, they're just not good enough for what they cost in most situations. You never see Gilbert Arenas or AI drafted either lol.

I clamour for older eras because I get bored to death of the same pool in every 90s to now draft just with some quirk eliminating a few of the guys. I mean how much more often is Lebron drafted than Wilt? Or Doug Christie than Don Buse. It's roughly 3 to 1 from what I've seen since I've been back.

If you really want to change things up and have guys like Booker/Lavine drafted you have to get away from the FGA restriction and use something else like accolades. There's just no other way.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#69 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:37 am

damecurry wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:At some point in the near future I'd like to do something like a 2010s to now with additional restrictions (maybe you can't use the same franchise twice or something).

Just my two cents.

Well thats because of FGA, they're just not good enough for what they cost in most situations. You never see Gilbert Arenas or AI drafted either lol.

I clamour for older eras because I get bored to death of the same pool in every 90s to now draft just with some quirk eliminating a few of the guys. I mean how much more often is Lebron drafted than Wilt? Or Doug Christie than Don Buse. It's roughly 3 to 1 from what I've seen since I've been back.

If you really want to change things up and have guys like Booker/Lavine drafted you have to get away from the FGA restriction and use something else like accolades. There's just no other way.

We use 90s to now a lot these days because there aren't that many people playing in general and the pool becomes too loaded when you go back to the 60s and 70s. With that said, we have played many games from those eras over the years, and you can almost always know beforehand exactly who will get drafted. A bunch of superstars that have been picked a million times already, plus Bobby Jones and... Don Buse. :lol: It's just as predictable as 90s to now, there are just fewer opportunities to do it.

Booker and LaVine were just examples. You could replace them with say, Ayton or KCP and the point still stands. Like I said though, my thought would be to not only reduce the time period, but also to add some other restriction(s) to incentivise some less popular names. I haven't fleshed it out yet, was just putting the general idea out there.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,403

Post#70 » by wackbone » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:49 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
damecurry wrote:

Just my two cents.

We use 90s to now a lot these days because there aren't that many people playing in general and the pool becomes too loaded when you go back to the 60s and 70s. With that said, we have played many games from those eras over the years, and you can almost always know beforehand exactly who will get drafted. A bunch of superstars that have been picked a million times already, plus Bobby Jones and... Don Buse. :lol: It's just as predictable as 90s to now, there are just fewer opportunities to do it.

Booker and LaVine were just examples. You could replace them with say, Ayton or KCP and the point still stands. Like I said though, my thought would be to not only reduce the time period, but also to add some other restriction(s) to incentivise some less popular names. I haven't fleshed it out yet, was just putting the general idea out there.

Those guys tend to get taken a lot more frequently when it’s a draft with just one year or a very small handful of years to draft from (a 2021 only draft, for example)

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#71 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:11 am

I'd like to do something drafting pairs, it seems like it's been a while. Maybe a post 2010s teammates draft, one 1st team All NBA per pair, or something. I also wouldn't mind a draft like post 2010s one 1st team player per team, in a non pairs draft.

Also reposting from the last thread

We could do a similar game as the current one at some point, with 70 FGAs or something except they can have played for a franchise at any point in their career

We were playing the 50 FGAs for one franchise game at the time
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#72 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:21 am

Some good accolades games from the past that could be replayed at some point

Batman and Robin draft

3. The draft will consist of three rounds. In each round you will select one of the following tiers, or groups. You can select these in any round throughout the draft, in any order. But be careful how you draft as there is a FGA twist involved (read below).

The accolades referred to below are career high accolades. For example, if you pick a season of Magic when he didn't win MVP he stills counts as your Batman since his career high accolade is MVP. Also, any ABA accolades would be considered just like NBA accolades. For instance, Gilmore won ABA MVP so he would fall into the Batman category.

There is a new twist in this game that your batman will have the highest fga on your roster, your robin will have the second and third highest fga on your roster, and lastly, your supporting cast will have the fourth-eighth highest fga on your roster.

1 Batman: MVP or worse/no restrictions--HIGHEST FGA
2 Robin: 1st or 2nd team All-NBA or worse--SECOND AND THIRD HIGHEST FGA
5 Supporting cast: - 3 3rd team All-NBA or worse (includes All-star as worse than 3rd team All-NBA), plus 2 must not have made either all-star team or All-NBA--FOURTH-EIGHTH HIGHEST FGA

Choose your accolades

You will choose which of these groups of accolades you would like for building your team. You do not need to declare your path. The accolades correspond to the highest accolade a player ever received during his career.

MVP + one other All-Star (no All-NBA) - (6 with no accolades)
First Team All-NBA x 2 - (6 with no accolades)
Second Team All-NBA x 2 + Third Team All-NBA x 2 - (4 with no accolades)

NOTE: So long as a player's highest career accolade is equal to or less than the allotment, he can be chosen for that slot. For example, a player whose highest career accolade is third team could be taken for one of the second team slots. Also, you can use any season 1989-90 or later for all players. You aren't required to use the season he earned a particular accolade.

damecurry
General Manager

Post#73 » by damecurry » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:49 pm

I don't know how others feel but I think we should seriously considering changing the playoff format to a vote for top 4 (or 2) and then run Semi-Finals and Finals (or just Finals) rather than having the play-ins and first round matchups, for all games. I find the play-offs to be a huge slog, I don't really enjoy participating or voting. I much prefer rankings but I think just straight voting for a champ is really anti-climactic and too quick. So voting for a top 4 and then just running the SF and Finals seems like best of both worlds to me.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#74 » by Colbinii » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:37 pm

damecurry wrote:I don't know how others feel but I think we should seriously considering changing the playoff format to a vote for top 4 (or 2) and then run Semi-Finals and Finals (or just Finals) rather than having the play-ins and first round matchups, for all games. I find the play-offs to be a huge slog, I don't really enjoy participating or voting. I much prefer rankings but I think just straight voting for a champ is really anti-climactic and too quick. So voting for a top 4 and then just running the SF and Finals seems like best of both worlds to me.

I disagree because I tend to draft teams which are better matchup to matchup versus a team that looks good on paper

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#75 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:59 pm

damecurry wrote:I don't know how others feel but I think we should seriously considering changing the playoff format to a vote for top 4 (or 2) and then run Semi-Finals and Finals (or just Finals) rather than having the play-ins and first round matchups, for all games. I find the play-offs to be a huge slog, I don't really enjoy participating or voting. I much prefer rankings but I think just straight voting for a champ is really anti-climactic and too quick. So voting for a top 4 and then just running the SF and Finals seems like best of both worlds to me.

We were regularly doing top four voting + playoffs for a while a few years ago.

Over time, I found that it made the games feel anticlimactic even with the playoffs. Only four teams actually matter and the rest are just tossed aside. I prefer to see everyone actually involved at least to start with.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#76 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:35 am

Maybe some kind of game where you can only have 4 3PM/game total or so, in a modern pool.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:29 pm

Not top ten draft: no top ten draft picks allowed. You get one exception but that player can't be top three or higher.

With a post-merger I think that creates a fairly balanced collection of stars to build around. Didn't want LeBron, MJ, etc. overpowering the concept of the draft.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,178

Post#78 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:31 pm

A different pairs draft concept (which was what I initially thought pairs draft was about).

Double picks and you have to choose players who played at the same team in the selected season.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,178

Post#79 » by durantbird » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:28 am

The rookies draft. You can only choose a player at his rookie season.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,998

Post#80 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:31 pm

do a lotto then non lotto draft.

Round 1 is non lotto
Round 2 is lotto
Round 3 is non lotto
etc

ABBAABBA

Return to Trades and Transactions Games