One Syllable Draft - Sign-ups (CANCELLED)

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,178

One Syllable Draft - Sign-ups (CANCELLED) 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 4, 2024 11:02 am

Draft rules:

1. Subject to the rules to be set out below, players from the 1959-60 to the 2022-23 seasons will be available to be drafted. You can draft players that came into the league before 1959, but the season you choose can't be before 1959-60.

2. You will be required to draft a total of 8 players. Each of your players must play a minimum of 8 minutes in your rotations.

3. Your team will be allowed a combined total of 88.0 FGA with a minimum of 3.0 FGA per player corresponding with the specific seasons indicated for each player. There is 0.85 FGA multiplier for pre-merger seasons used (1975-76 season and earlier), round to closest with 0.1 precision. NOTE: You may pick a player whose actual FGA number was lower than 3.0, but you still be charged 3.0 for that player.

4. You can only draft players whose first name or last name is only one syllable. The determining source for the name of the player is the title of his basketball-reference.com page.

Some clarifications: in three-words or more names, the first word is considered as the first name, unless it's connected with an hyphen with the second word, e.g. Karl-Anthony Towns is not eligible. For names presented as initials in the player page, the initials are considered the name (usually first name), and are pronounced each letter separately. Suffixes like "Jr.", "Sr.", "II"/"III" are not considered part of the name.

When in doubt, you can refer to the "Pronunciation" part in the basketball-reference.com page. For example, Patrick Ewing is two syllables in both first and last names (\YOO-wing\), Aaron McKie's last name is pronounced \mih-KEE\ (note, Derrick McKey is similarly ineligible).

5. Each player you select must have played at least 50% of regular season games in the season selected.

6. We will be doing a modified snake draft. It will go like this: ABBABABA

7. Players will get a maximum of a 2-hour window to make their selection when they are on the clock. If you still have not chosen a player by then, or if the player you have chosen is ineligible, you will be skipped. Also, if you know ahead of time that you won't be available to make your pick on the clock then please PM your selection to myself or another participant. NOTE: If you miss one pick and have failed to make it by the time your next pick comes around, you will be skipped.

8. The clock will be turned off between 12 midnight and 9 AM EDT.

9. Draft order will be completely randomized.

10. After you have made your draft selection, please quote and/or PM the person that goes after you so they will know that it is their turn and they are on the clock. You may not change your pick after it has been made, even if the next person in the order has not picked yet. Please note that the clock starts whenever the previous drafter has either made their pick or their two-hour window has expired, even if the next person is not quoted.

11. The winner of the draft will be determined by playoffs. 3 teams will advance automatically to second round, other 10 will compete at first round.

Team Roster Page Rules:

You will be responsible for creating a roster page for your fantasy team. Here are the things that you will be required to include on your roster page:

. Players
. Rotations
. Draft selections
. The most important of all, you must show the total FGA per player on your roster AND a total sum of each players FGA to display that it is under the required 88.0 FGA

-All of the above must be completed before playoffs begin.

Signups:
durantbird
Larry_Russell
flaco
Snakebites
Colbinii
flaco
Veteran
And1: 875

Re: One Syllable Draft - Sign-ups 

Post#2 » by flaco » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:48 pm

Count me in.

That said, I'm not sure whether we are all on the same page. For instance, West is 2 syllables in my native language, but I believe it is 1 syllable in english(?). I think we should clarify things like that. B/R doesn't provide phonetic information for all player names.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:05 pm

flaco wrote:Count me in.

That said, I'm not sure whether we are all on the same page. For instance, West is 2 syllables in my native language, but I believe it is 1 syllable in english(?). I think we should clarify things like that. B/R doesn't provide phonetic information for all player names.

Yeah sure, West is one syllable. I'm not sure how to clarify it further.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,982

Post#4 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:19 pm

durantbird wrote:

https://www.howmanysyllables.com/syllables/james

When in doubt ask google

I will play
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:48 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
durantbird wrote:

When in doubt ask google

I will play

Seems like a useful source, even tough it sometimes disagrees with basketball reference, for example with McKie which is mentioned in the examples in the OP. McKie and McKey are the only problematic cases I thought about trying to browse for eligible players.

It can be used in any case basketball reference doesn't specify a pronunciation guide
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,037

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:53 pm

Didn’t we do this already?
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:00 pm

Snakebites wrote:Didn’t we do this already?

Not that I'm aware of. We did short names, which is a different pool (up to 4 letters - Kobe and Luka were eligible, LeBron and Harden weren't)
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:04 pm

I’ll play.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#9 » by Colbinii » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:12 pm

I'll play.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,582

Post#10 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:14 pm

I'll probably skip unless numbers are needed
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:16 pm

West is one syllable. You generally only have another syllable if you have another vowel sound separated by consonant sound. West doesn’t have that, neither does James.

Does get a bit muddy in a minority of cases though.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,833

Post#12 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Mar 4, 2024 11:52 pm

On the fence, I'll wait to see what the numbers are like.
flaco
Veteran
And1: 875

Post#13 » by flaco » Tue Mar 5, 2024 2:57 pm

Snakebites wrote:

West is one syllable. You generally only have another syllable if you have another vowel sound separated by consonant sound. West doesn’t have that, neither does James.

Wow, James is 1 syllable too? Glad I asked about West. Feels very counter intuitive tbh. Syllable count works very differently in my language. What about Charles, Kyle and Mike? I assume they are 1 syllable as well? Or what about Michael instead of Mike?

Sorry guys, never bothered to learn how syllables work in english. I was learning spanish a couple of years ago. That was the first time I realized languages have different rules when it comes to syllable count.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#14 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:02 pm

flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Wow, James is 1 syllable too? Glad I asked about West. Feels very counter intuitive tbh. Syllable count works very differently in my language. What about Charles, Kyle and Mike? I assume they are 1 syllable as well? Or what about Michael instead of Mike?

Sorry guys, never bothered to learn how syllables work in english. I was learning spanish a couple of years ago. That was the first time I realized languages have different rules when it comes to syllable count.

Yes to the first three.

Michael is definitely two.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. This one has 4 signups. :lol:
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by durantbird » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:02 pm

flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Yeah, Kyle, Charles, Mike are all one syllable. Also Dwight, Wilt... Mi-chael isn't
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,833

Post#16 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:35 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:West is one syllable. You generally only have another syllable if you have another vowel sound separated by consonant sound. West doesn’t have that, neither does James.

Yes to the first three.

Michael is definitely two.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. This one has 4 signups. :lol:

5 excluding me.

Should do a quote bomb.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by durantbird » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:38 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:

MadNESS wrote:

Laimbeer wrote:

lilroddyb wrote:

LA Bird wrote:

Square wrote:

uberhikari wrote:

wackbone wrote:

goober wrote:

ChicagoSportsFan21 wrote:

ardee wrote:

Fifii wrote:

murphyslamz wrote:
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,982

Post#18 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:00 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
durantbird wrote:

When in doubt ask google

I will play

I will play
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,693

Post#19 » by MadNESS » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:22 pm

I’m good, sorry boys, not a fan
LAKESHOW