Winnipeg Jets unveil new logo

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Winnipeg Jets unveil new logo 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:38 am

Wow, I am not a fan... really horrible to be honest.

The mock ups I saw a few weeks ago were way better.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Re: Winnipeg Jets unveil new logo 

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:49 am

All three of these logos look better to me, even if the first mock up spelled Winnipeg with an M.

chazeemodo
Junior
And1: 52

Post#3 » by chazeemodo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:34 am

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =638820653

The third or fourth comment suggests this may be what the jersey may look like...the logo and look is growing on me.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#4 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:12 am

I'm a fan of the logo. It's a classic look, something that won't look dated after 10 years. I'm just happy it doesn't look like a cartoon or trying to be too hard to be retro. The fact that it ties in with the RCAF is a bonus, considering the amount of military bases here in Manitoba.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,756

Post#5 » by Double Helix » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:07 pm

I agree with those who feel that it'll come to life better once we see it on centre ice, on jerseys, etc. It didn't immediately jump out at me in a good way. I suppose I was expecting something more modern perhaps. So, while the reveal did feel anti climatic, I also remember feeling a sense of relief that it wasn't something awful that I'd be embarrassed to wear. I suppose that's a back-handed compliment but ultimately... whether something is wearable or not is a big concern and this is wearable.

It's been a few days since I had those original impressions and the primary logo and overall military tribute has already grown on me. I think that they should be commended for the balancing act they struck between what the name/colour scheme of the past and what they want to do with this franchise's brand moving forward. A question I used to get asked a lot in Toronto whenever conversations about the Jets came up was: "Why were they called the Jets?" We all know the New York Jets story but I almost feel that this new design makes the old reason irrelevant. The RCAF-aspect of this design was a risky move. I can't think of another sports logo so closely associated with any area of the American or Canadian military before so it took guts and vision to move in this direction. I think it will pay off in the long run. When I used to think of the Jets I'd think of the visual representation of the words and that's about it. I never really thought of planes or jets or anything. There was always a small little plane on previous jets logos but it was easy to miss them and the logo didn't seem to be about them. The new logo reminds me of Canadian aviation. It reminds me of Avro for some reason and the past innovation that was possible within Canada. It reminds me of the training that took place during WW2 in the prairies where Brits and Canadians trained together to learn dogfight tactics. It reminds me that planes are still serviced and built in Winnipeg. It reminds me of some of the planes that can bee seen on display as monuments/relics throughout the city. I like the little touch with the compass needle pointing North, too. I think it reinforces the Jets story. A Canadian team left the NHL and is now back in the Great White North. All of these things combine to add some emotional weight and historical resonance to the franchise name in ways that I don't think were there before.

So, when you really stop and think about it, It's pretty remarkable what they accomplished here. They discovered a way to largely maintain the old colour scheme (which, let's face it... almost felt more American than Canadian) and make it one of the more patriotic Canadian hockey symbols in the NHL. The red has a logical tie-in now with the Maple Leaf front and centre. The blue reminds everybody of the RCAF ring. The addition of silver adds versatility to the merchandise and a touch of class. These elements add a sense of seriousness and a connection to the community that previous logos lacked.

None of these under the surface aspects would matter in the least though if the design was embarrassing to wear. It isn't. It's clean. It's simple. It's symmetrical and you can wear it without feeling like a total goof. This kind of thing is exactly why many Raptors fans gravitated toward the claw. It was simpler and less busy than the Dino logo and easier to wear. Hot, bold, trend-following, designs often sell like crazy for a few years and then fall out of favour for the next design trends. Remember when that Silver/Black/Red Sabres jersey and logo were the hottest thing in the NHL? I doubt few people are wearing that logo, even in retro form, any longer now that they've returned back to their simpler logo from the early 90s. I think this new Jets logo will age well for all the reasons mentioned above.

Not a fan of the font in the font-heavy design though. It's kind of all over the place and is the antithesis of "elegant."
KGISDAMAN
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by KGISDAMAN » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Good post double helix.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#7 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm not a big fan of the written word logo but I really like the other two.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to Winnipeg Jets