ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,617

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#101 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:22 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ I can understand them moving quickly on Villanueva since they had competition from the Cavs (not saying he was the guy they should have gone after, just that I can understand the timing).

Yeah, upon further reflection, I guess the Villanueva signing wasn't all that bad. They got him for 5 years, $35M. That's not bad for a guy that puts up per-minute numbers similar to Jamison's (with the same bad defense). Basically, VIllaneuva is Jamison without the mental toughness and leadership, and he costs half as much. That's a decent signing.

I still think they could have paid the same money for Lee, Millsap or Odom if they were patient. Or maybe offered to trade raw cap space for Boozer. If that didn't work out, they could let Boozer walk in 2010 and try again.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#102 » by MF23 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:47 pm

I wouldn't knock Dumars. That guy is sharp and he built a playoff team in a rebuilding year. His biggest mistake was undervaluing leadership last year. When the trade happened his team received a player that needed a tried and trusted system that he could be implemented in. Iverson under Curry was never going to work. Detroit had no leadership last year so the question is what players or coaches are going to change that?
Et tu Bilas.
MD
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#103 » by tkunit » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:54 pm

What is memphis doing, they already have Mayo and Gay who spend all game trying to out shoot each other and now you add Zbo to that group. train wreck.

Oh and detroit blew it with Gordon someone on that team has to be moved unless they are running Ben at the pg spot and sendign stuckly to the bench.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#104 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:33 pm

Atlanta cannot be serious about Crawford running the point.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#105 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 2, 2009 7:29 pm

OMG! Iverson wants to play for Memphis!

:rofl2:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#106 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm always wary of players who play for Phil and the Lakers. We're truly not sure how good these guys are when they are not in that system. I think the only two players who would thrive somewhere else would be Pau and Kobe, with Odom being #3.

That being said, I would laugh my ass off if Ariza is given the full MLE from a team like Cleveland.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#107 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jul 2, 2009 11:09 pm

Crap, L.A just secured their repeat.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#108 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jul 2, 2009 11:13 pm

Oohdalolly to lakerdom. A good move for them, but what next?

But I'm glad he's not signing with Cleveland. I think that would have been pretty brutal personally, especially if they had gotten Varajao back too. I would imagine they would now pitch to Ariza....
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#109 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:09 am

Hoopalotta wrote:Oohdalolly to lakerdom. A good move for them, but what next?

I'm pretty sure this means no Odom or Ariza in LA. But if they can get a solid backup PF/C like McDyess they should be fine, maybe even better. They'd definitely be tougher at least.

They need to address their PG situation, though. Fisher got shown up in the playoffs last year and really didn't do much until he hit that big shot in the Finals (which he actually shouldn't have been open for in the first place). Trouble is Farmar doesn't look like starter material.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#110 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:21 am

Gortat to Dallas? I wonder what this means for Bass. They could still use him as their PF/C off the bench if they are willing to spend the money. If they were able to parlay Dampier and/or Stackhouse (both potential expirings) into some help on the wings they could be a team of consequence again. Maybe Damp+Stack for Rip+Maxeill?

Gortat/Bass
Nowitzki/Maxiell
Howard/George
Hamilton/Terry
Kidd/Barea

That's a pretty stacked team that would be really good on offense and defense, especially since Carlisle already knows how to use Rip. Their cap would be monstrous but they'd be really good.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#111 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:39 am

LyricalRico wrote:
Hoopalotta wrote:Oohdalolly to lakerdom. A good move for them, but what next?

I'm pretty sure this means no Odom or Ariza in LA. But if they can get a solid backup PF/C like McDyess they should be fine, maybe even better. They'd definitely be tougher at least.

They need to address their PG situation, though. Fisher got shown up in the playoffs last year and really didn't do much until he hit that big shot in the Finals (which he actually shouldn't have been open for in the first place). Trouble is Farmar doesn't look like starter material.

Hmmm, you're right, the lakers cap numbers are a lot more dire than I had realized. I'm not 100% clear, but with their Artest for the MLE, I think it would be that Odom - not counting Ariza, who is vroom vrooming out the door - is the only guy they could sign for any real money?

So, I like the Artest pickup for them, but yeah, if that's it then they are very thin. If Bynum had a great year, they could get by, but they do look vulnerable for a long haul 82 gamer.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#112 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:47 am

Artest signed for 5 yrs/$32 million by the way. Great deal for the Lakers.

Ariza looks Houston bound, which means Cleveland struck out on both of them. I think Lebron should realize that as much as him being on the Cavs is good, its still Cleveland.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,364

Post#113 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:51 am

Artest signed for 3 years $18 million according to this article. I bet one of the bigger points was LeBron could leave next leaving LeBron high and dry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303679
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#114 » by cdouglas » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:52 am

As much as Polin says he wants to be win a championship, it doesn't appear that way! Action speaks louder than words! The front office is really convinced that Jamison,Caron and Arenas can win a championship....PLEASE!!!!!!! :roll: Maybe they will bring Ruffin back.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#115 » by WizStorm » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:32 am

Rafael122 wrote:Artest signed for 5 yrs/$32 million by the way. Great deal for the Lakers.

Ariza looks Houston bound, which means Cleveland struck out on both of them. I think Lebron should realize that as much as him being on the Cavs is good, its still Cleveland.
Is it Cleveland or is it the "dick" factor in having to be around both LeBron and Shaq for a full season?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#116 » by miller31time » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:37 am

WizStorm wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Artest signed for 5 yrs/$32 million by the way. Great deal for the Lakers.

Is it Cleveland or is it the "dick" factor in having to be around both LeBron and Shaq for a full season?

But think of all of the awesome pre-game fake picture-taking opportunities there would be! That's chemistry!

/GREEN
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#117 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:49 am

Looks like Ariza-to-Houston is official. Worst decision of any team so far IMO, especially considering Yao's injury situation. They'd have been better off overpaying for a big like Gortat or Bass instead of a wing who's not even as good as the guy they already have (Battier).
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#118 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jul 3, 2009 3:07 am

miller31time wrote:
WizStorm wrote:

But think of all of the awesome pre-game fake picture-taking opportunities there would be! That's chemistry!

/GREEN

I kinda find it hard to understand why anybody would turn Leb!tch down. He said himself that he's one of the few blessed individuals to get "in the zone." It's not his fault they flunked out of the playoffs. He said if there were 9 or 10 of him, it wouldn't be a problem. He so ultra competitive that he even won't waste time to shake his opponent's hand. You never have to worry about him hogging media time after the game either. He leaves to go to his Mom's house I hear. I'd kill to play with a guy like that.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#119 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Jul 3, 2009 3:10 am

Players know that LeBron is gone from Cleveland next year which is why no one will want to sign with that garbage team.

Shaq will retire next year and LeBron will be in New York.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,364

Post#120 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 3, 2009 3:10 am

LyricalRico wrote:Looks like Ariza-to-Houston is official. Worst decision of any team so far IMO, especially considering Yao's injury situation. They'd have been better off overpaying for a big like Gortat or Bass instead of a wing who's not even as good as the guy they already have (Battier).

It's not that bad; I think Ariza is a solid addition considering that T-Mac is also injured; if he can knock down open shots like he did with LA (he shot 48% from 3 in the postseason).

Return to Washington Wizards