ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#1341 » by closg00 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:51 pm

The Grizzlies will hold their fifth pre-draft workout on Tuesday and the lineup is subject to change.

Texas guard Avery Bradley is expected to miss the workout because of an ankle injury.

Memphis is having issues getting players to come in that would be considered with the 12th overall pick.

Multiple sources told the Memphis Commercial Appeal that team officials are dealing with refusals to visit and workout cancellations by prospects who have expressed a desire not to play for the Grizzlies.

Butler forward Gordon Hayward is the most notable snub.

It must suck to be a GM/Player of a small market team.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#1342 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:05 pm

Couple of things:

Izzo won't coach the Cavs.

Kerr won't return as GM. This is kinda huge now because what does this mean for Amare?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#1343 » by verbal8 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 am

Rafael122 wrote:Couple of things:
Izzo won't coach the Cavs.

I think this means LeBron is likely leaving Cleveland.

Rafael122 wrote:Kerr won't return as GM. This is kinda huge now because what does this mean for Amare?

I don't think Kerr leaving as GM is a big deal. However him leaving because the Suns wanted him to take a pay cut may mean the Suns are seen as cheapskates. They could try to spin it as we want money for players, so we have to make other employees take pay cuts, but I don't think many would believe that.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1344 » by fishercob » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:01 pm

Dalembert to the Kings for Nocioni and Hawes.

Philly must really think highly of Hawes to make this deal, unless the save money in the short term and get out of the luxtax...
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#1345 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Pretty bad deal for Philly. They've been through a lot of torcher lately. I guess good for them that they got the #2 overall, but Noc has two years left on his deal and Hawes blows. There are three things you look for from a center and they are, in order, 1) defense, 2) rebounding, 3) offense. Hawes sucks at the first two and his offense is shooting threes. He is no prize for adding an extra year of salary.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,188

Post#1346 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:51 pm

I think the Hawes/Nocioni acquisition means all signs point to Philly drafting Turner. With Iggy & Turner on the wing, the Sixers really needed a big that could stretch the floor. I don't necessarily agree with the trade, but I understand why Philly did it.

Solid move for Sacramento. Landry/Dalembert & Thompson is a credible NBA front court and they managed to dump Nocioni's contract.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#1347 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Yeah the trade sucks for Philly, and it kind of sucks for us because I was hoping in the infinitesimal chance we pulled a BOYD move with Philly he'd be a part of it.

Dalembert is twice the center of Hawes, and Nocioni hasn't done anything to impress much in the past half decade.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1348 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Dat2U wrote:I think the Hawes/Nocioni acquisition means all signs point to Philly drafting Turner. With Iggy & Turner on the wing, the Sixers really needed a big that could stretch the floor. I don't necessarily agree with the trade, but I understand why Philly did it.

I think it means the opposite for the pick. I think they are clearing the starting Center spot for Favors. I think they were concerned about a Etan/Haywood situation with Favors and Dalembert.

From Chad Ford's ESPN article:
But the real ramifications may come during the draft. The Sixers have been deciding between Evan Turner and Derrick Favors with the No. 2 pick. While Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski is a Turner fan, new coach Doug Collins is high on Favors. With Dalembert gone and Nocioni in, it could push them in the direction of Favors.

I am surprised Philly took on Nocioni's deal when they already have Iggy and Brand on long term deals.

Dat2U wrote:Solid move for Sacramento. Landry/Dalembert & Thompson is a credible NBA front court and they managed to dump Nocioni's contract.

Yeah they dumping Nocioni and getting a servicable player is a good deal from them.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#1349 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Yep, I agree with verbal8. Hawes is not a starting C in the NBA. Also, why bring Noc into an already crowded SF position? Yeah, Philly es definitely going with Favors at #2.

Favors/Hawes
Brand/Speights/Smith
Young/Nocioni/Kapono
Iggy/Green
Williams/Holliday

As for Sacto, I'm struggling to see what this means for them. Could they still go big at #5? Or are they trying to trade out, perhaps for a veteran? Are they trying to compete next season? Will they be a player in free agency now?

See, this is why I gave us a whole day to make our picks in the mock thread. :wink:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1350 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 pm

If the trade makes Philly pheel more comfortable in picking Favors, then it probably ends up making them a better team in the long run - even if - by itself - it doesn't look like they "won" the trade. I think Favors would be a much better pick for them than Turner. And they really needed a shooter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,440

Post#1351 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:51 pm

NJ really lucks out if favors is taken 2nd IMO, they need good guard play more than they need front court help. They have a great center in Brooks and yi is aight for pf. A turner+ Harris backcourt could possibly be more motivation for LeTravel to go to NJ as well.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#1352 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:06 pm

verbal8 wrote:While Sixers general manager Ed Stefanski is a Turner fan, new coach Doug Collins is high on Favors. With Dalembert gone and Nocioni in, it could push them in the direction of Favors.

Yeah, the same guy who at one time was high on Kwame Brown. Not that I'm down on Favors at all, but I hope the 76ers read up on Collins more than just with the resume he provided.

And Dat made a good observation that the Kings frontcourt looks legit. I wonder if that makes it all but certain they pass on Cousins if he's there at 5.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#1353 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:13 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:And Dat made a good observation that the Kings frontcourt looks legit. I wonder if that makes it all but certain they pass on Cousins if he's there at 5.

Cousins might still be the pick, but maybe the Kings pick for another team. Detroit supposedly want him desperately at #7. Maybe they swap picks and the Pistons throw in a future first?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#1354 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:And Dat made a good observation that the Kings frontcourt looks legit. I wonder if that makes it all but certain they pass on Cousins if he's there at 5.

Cousins might still be the pick, but maybe the Kings pick for another team. Detroit supposedly want him desperately at #7. Maybe they swap picks and the Pistons throw in a future first?

Yeah, I think a Sacramento trade back sounds fairly likely, though one of the elements thrown in with those had generally been Nocioni sent out.

There's been a lot of talk of Wesley Johnson 4th, but if Cousins goes, I think Sactown wouldn't hesitate to snap up Wesley.

As to the trade, my view is Dalembert would be about twice as effective if he just stuck with what he was good at, which is being a big ole ox. Too often that guy looks like he's in a tryout with the Globetrotters with fancy dribbling in traffic or some other finesse driven mischief. He's very mistake prone and it really mitigates the advantages that he brings as a defensive presence/rebounder.

I still like it for Sacramento better, but I can see why Philly was sick of Dally-Bear. And it looks like they did get under the tax line (looks to me that after they sign the second pick, they're at $67.4 million with a 13 man roster). That's probably not far off from what Nocioni will cost them next year after you factor in the disbursement check they'll get.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1355 » by verbal8 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:10 am

I had a thought about the Philly-Sacramento trade. Maybe the Sixers are trading down and getting to dump Nocioni(or at least Kopano). Both the Twolves and the Nets would love to have Turner and have plenty of cap space to make it happen. Even trading down to 4 they get a choice of Cousins and Favors or Wesley Johnson. So basically they would have saved 10 million(the difference between Hawes and Dalembert) to move down 1 or 2 spots.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1356 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 am

verbal8 wrote:I had a thought about the Philly-Sacramento trade. Maybe the Sixers are trading down and getting to dump Nocioni(or at least Kopano). Both the Twolves and the Nets would love to have Turner and have plenty of cap space to make it happen. Even trading down to 4 they get a choice of Cousins and Favors or Wesley Johnson. So basically they would have saved 10 million(the difference between Hawes and Dalembert) to move down 1 or 2 spots.

Yeah, that's a good call; could well be. They'd save all that money and take a look at Hawes for a year for their trouble. That move would also make it a lot easier to retain either Hawes or Thaddeus next year as well (or both).

Supposedly Collins wants Favors. I wonder if they could get the Nets to bite in absorbing Noke for moving up one spot? They still have max money to offer. I have to say I don't really like Harris-Turner-(T.)Williams as a unit as they can't shoot. Insert "trade Harris" rumors here.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1357 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:18 pm

Hmmm, well here's someone off the Sixers board with assorted scoop that seems to be credible in that everyone there reacts to him as if he is well established with his contacts and has broken news before....

sixerfan1976 wrote:why wasnt i able to find out? because he didnt tell me. I would never ever complain about not hearing everything. I dont bite the hand that feeds me.

Anyway....Spent 5 minutes on phone tonight.

Hawes is projected as the starter at center. Can he lose that job in camp? sure.....but Brand is gonna play PF and Hawes at center..thats the plan..Brand may get some minutes at center when they go small and depending on matchups

The deal was a "no brainer" due to:
1)Luxury Tax implications
2)Dalembert had become a locker room issue and they thought this was good value to let him go now instead of end of year.
3)Sacramento was the only team willing to pay his trade kicker and came at us aggressively about this.

Collins loves Hawes (compared him to a young Brad Miller) and thinks Nocioni is very useable. He is a scrapper. Stefanski was concerned about nocionis contract and Collins told him he will be worth it. He thinks both will earn regular playing time. They felt the young center they got here was better than any they could have gotten in the draft(cousins or favors wasnt an option after getting turner)

Now that we got another SF...carney wont be back.

Thad could still go for Aldrich..otherwise they may just try and get a guy in 2nd round like Jordan or trade Kapono for a vet center.

Toronto deal wont happen because Jarrett Jack wants to start and he wont here. Plus with Meeks and Nocioni and for now Kapono..we have enough shooters.(dont need belinelli)

Indy deal for Foster still may happen(perhaps for Kapono). dont know about the #10 pick.

chances are slightly less than thad gets moved based off getting their center of the future without him.....but they definitely would move him for aldrich.

Final question I asked was the tayshaun prince offer true......he said yes but it wasnt close. Not giving up the 2 pick without a stud (overwhelming offer that they dont plan on receiving). They didnt want villanueva either.

Thats all for now....its 100 percent turner but they will do their due diligence with cousins,favors and wes johnson in next few days.

Got the feeling Aldrich,Alabi and Jerome Jordan were still very much targets.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Post#1358 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:
verbal8 wrote:I had a thought about the Philly-Sacramento trade. Maybe the Sixers are trading down and getting to dump Nocioni(or at least Kopano). Both the Twolves and the Nets would love to have Turner and have plenty of cap space to make it happen. Even trading down to 4 they get a choice of Cousins and Favors or Wesley Johnson. So basically they would have saved 10 million(the difference between Hawes and Dalembert) to move down 1 or 2 spots.

Yeah, that's a good call; could well be. They'd save all that money and take a look at Hawes for a year for their trouble. That move would also make it a lot easier to retain either Hawes or Thaddeus next year as well (or both).

Supposedly Collins wants Favors. I wonder if they could get the Nets to bite in absorbing Noke for moving up one spot? They still have max money to offer. I have to say I don't really like Harris-Turner-(T.)Williams as a unit as they can't shoot. Insert "trade Harris" rumors here.

Don't count on it, Ed Stefanski is an even worse GM than Ernie "Tubby" Grunfeld.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1359 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:32 pm

^ yeah, the Sixers insider seems to refute Verbal's idea too. Made sense, but sounds like they're committed to Turner.

The one thing Stefanski has done fairly well with is the draft. I forget if he was there in time to get young, but Speights was a decent pick and I'd consider Holiday a real steal, especially considering how much younger he is than most of the other point guards taken. The Brand deal was going to blow up in somebody's face, so I'd say it's mostly in the coaching hires that he's floundered.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,612

Post#1360 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:49 pm

I still think Philly should grab Favors. Favors and Hawes might make a nice big man tandem for the future. Favors and Speights would also complement each other nicely. If Philly can get anything at all from New Jersey in a trade down to #3 (maybe just have NJ absorb Willie Green), they should pull the trigger.

If they play their cards right, they can have a nice young core:
PG Holiday
SG Iggy
SF Young
PF Favors/Speights
C Hawes/Favors

Their next goal should be to showcase Brand and hope that he plays better as he continues to heal from that achilles injury. Maybe they can dump him mid-season for a less-awful contract like Jose Calderon's.

Return to Washington Wizards