ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#1001 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Tyrus to the Bobcat's for a future 1st, Flip Murry and Acie Law.

Not bad for either team, I could see Tyrus as an actual piece in Bobcat land. They've kind of sold their future out though. Not a bad division neighbor for us in a few years.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,553

Post#1002 » by closg00 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Nice move for the Cats, Thomas should fit in well with those guys...just in-time for the playoffs.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#1003 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:51 pm

nate33 wrote:
verbal8 wrote:What is Milwaukee's motivation for acquiring Salmons. Joe Alexander is only a contract, but I think Warrick is at least as good as Salmons. Not only do they take on Salmons at $6 mil+ in 2010/11, but they add a million this season.

Agreed. Chicago made out like bandits in this deal. They sacrificed nothing to give up Salmons, while saving $1M in the process.

As to Hoopalotta's question about why Milwaukee didn't deal with the Knicks, my guess is that it's because the Knicks don't have much to offer. They don't have a 2010 pick, they can't trade their 2011 pick, and 2012 is a long time from now. Most GM's don't have that kind of time horizon because they need immediate results in order to avoid being fired.

It looks like it might be even worse than I thought. Milwaukee is right on the edge of the tax and they may go over it with the Salmons deal. That is the only motivation I can think of for the Meeks/Elson and a 2nd for Brezec/Ivey that is rumored.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,453

Post#1004 » by mhd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:29 pm

The Kings made an excellent deal IMO. They get a mid round pick (Rockets, cap relief of Martin's contract), and a solid big in Landry.

If the Nets get Wall, I could see Devin Harris going there.
mhd
General Manager

Post#1005 » by mhd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Chad Ford said Bucks got right to swap picks with Bulls in this years draft if pick was not in top 10. So that does add a bit to the Bucks.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#1006 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:06 pm

mhd wrote:The Kings made an excellent deal IMO. They get a mid round pick (Rockets, cap relief of Martin's contract), and a solid big in Landry.

If the Nets get Wall, I could see Devin Harris going there.

I think the Knicks are giving up a bit too much, but I think Houston and the Kings did very well in the deal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,510

Post#1007 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm

I can't believe how well Houston made out in that TMac deal. They landed Martin and what will probably amount to two lotto picks, and it only cost them $8M in Jeffries salary next year. (A Jeffries is now a serviceable player worth 3 or 4M, so it's not that much lost money.)

NY got raped in the deal, but it'll all turn out fine if they land Lebron this summer. I wish EG would have stepped up with a more attractive offer for Jeffries.
mhd
General Manager

Post#1008 » by mhd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 pm

nate33 wrote:I can't believe how well Houston made out in that TMac deal. They landed Martin and what will probably amount to two lotto picks, and it only cost them $8M in Jeffries salary next year. (A Jeffries is now a serviceable player worth 3 or 4M, so it's not that much lost money.)

NY got raped in the deal, but it'll all turn out fine if they land Lebron this summer. I wish EG would have stepped up with a more attractive offer for Jeffries.

We didn't have Tmac to send to the Knicks. The Knicks are banking on someone choosing them vs. Miami or Chicago or Sacremento or Clippers. All are more desireable destinations. Don't forget Cuban as the weird Dampier deal too in his pocket. If I'm a FA, why would I go to NY?

(Now of of course you could say the same for the Wiz, but we'll at least have a high lotto pick, and have some young players of note).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1009 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 pm

That was an extraordinary trade for Houston - as far as both value and fit. Martin is just the kind of player they needed.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,802

Post#1010 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Those are some very low restrictions set by the Knicks. Knicks would have to make the playoffs next year basically.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1011 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Stunning package to the Rockets, yes.

The only salvation now for the Knicks is free agency, though if they do get Bron-Bron, it'll work out OK even as far as the evaluation on the picks.

Conspiracy alert: do they know something? Heard it through the agent grapevine?

But all told, this is another feather in the cap of the OKC method.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#1012 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:37 pm

@WojYahooNBA: T-Mac just texted a friend, giddy, saying: "I'm a New York Knick!"
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,510

Post#1013 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:That was an extraordinary trade for Houston - as far as both value and fit. Martin is just the kind of player they needed.

Daryl Morey is a genius. He makes all the right moves. That team is ridiculously stacked now:

PG Brooks/Landry
SG Martin/Battier
SF Ariza/Battier
PF Scola/Jeffries
S Ming/Hayes

One of the best post threats in the league, one of the best perimeter threats in the league, two PG's that can penetrate at will, and several of the best defenders in the league (Battier, Hayes, Ariza, Jeffries). And to top it off, they have Buddinger and two lotto picks on the way. And the payroll will remain under the luxtax
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1014 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:48 pm

They got Jordan Hill too. He was in the deal despite early reports otherwise.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#1015 » by LyricalRico » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

^ They got Hill, too?!?! All for a broken down Tracy friggin' McGrady?!?! After a move like this, I'd assume they would re-up Scola and Lowry.

Yao/Hill
Scola/Jeffries
Ariza/Battier
Martin/Budinger
Brooks/Lowry

:o

The only caveat is that both Yao and Martin are injury risks. If both of them are healthy, they are a contender. If not...
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,710

Post#1016 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ They got Hill, too?!?! All for a broken down Tracy friggin' McGrady?!?! After a move like this, I'd assume they would re-up Scola and Lowry.

Yao/Hill
Scola/Jeffries
Ariza/Battier
Martin/Budinger
Brooks/Lowry

:o

The only caveat is that both Yao and Martin are injury risks. If both of them are healthy, they are a contender. If not...

If not, could be like this year, but w/ Yao's and Battier's deals expiring. They'd still be in a pretty good position.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#1017 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:07 pm

LMAO.....
@WojYahooNBA Knowing MJ, he's golfing right now and is unaware of the

probably true too.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,802

Post#1018 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Ronnie Brewer going to Memphis probably means Rudy Gay is not coming back.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#1019 » by LyricalRico » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Ronnie Brewer going to Memphis probably means Rudy Gay is not coming back.

I dunno about that. The Grizz had room under the cap and were looking for bench help. Brewer is also an RFA this summer so either way they're going to have to pay somebody. Obviously Brewer will cost much less than Gay, but it's not like they got somebody who'll be on a rooking scale deal for a while. They can also afford to pay Gay without worrying about the luxury tax.

But it does seem like they are looking to build around Randolph moreso than Gay or Mayo, so maybe you are right. Maybe it's not about money but about things like defense and chemistry. They don't let Gay walk for nothing, though. They'll at least do some kind of sign and trade, for a TPE if nothing else.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1020 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Gay's definitely no back, especially with the Griz having three first round picks. They should be right into position to grab Stanley Robinson, so I'd say Gay's out.

And supposedly they made a play at Monta Ellis, so they had an idea to spend the cash elsewhere too. Sunds like a gate draw deal with Ellis; from around there and 'fan favorite' kind of guy, though I guess Z-Bo and Gasol shooting the ball would make room for a slasher.

Anyway, they settled for a more minor sort of deal.

Return to Washington Wizards