ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#1421 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:10 pm

mhd wrote:I think the Bucks surrendered on their 2011 plan, which was a good idea IMO. Face it, the Bucks are a small market team, and attracting FAs will always be difficult, which results in overpayment (Bobby Simmons). They want to win now, so this was a good move.

Next move should be to try and trade Redd for bench help. I posted an idea on the trade board of Redd+15 for Diaw+Nazr.

I agree in general, but I think they should to continue building through the draft and suffer through the last year of Redd's contract - being happy this is finally his last year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,548

Post#1422 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Multiple teams have passed along their belief to ESPN.com that the Nets have serious interest in Johnson at No. 3 largely because they believe it will help them land Utah’s Carlos Boozer in free agency.

New Jersey’s main position of emphasis once the free-agent market opens July 1 is power forward, with the Nets possessing an estimated $27 million in salary-cap space and with Brook Lopez and Devin Harris entrenched at center and point guard.

The connection between Johnson and Boozer? They're both represented by the same agent: Rob Pelinka.

The selection of Johnson would be a strong tip-off, sources say, that New Jersey will be chasing Boozer hardest when free agency commences, ahead of potential targets such as Phoenix’s Amare Stoudemire.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford indeed has New Jersey selecting Johnson with the third overall pick in his latest mock draft.

Sounds like a good strategy if the Nets can land Boozer (which means they will over-pay). The Nets won't have to wait on Favors to develop and this takes the Nets out of the Eastern cellar.....in-theory.

Starting line-up:

Harris
Lee
Johnson
Boozer
Lopez
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#1423 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 pm

^ Even after overpaying Boozer, they should still have $10M or so left to spend. They could add a veteran starter at SG or quality backups at C and PG.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#1424 » by verbal8 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:35 pm

closg00 wrote:
Multiple teams have passed along their belief to ESPN.com that the Nets have serious interest in Johnson at No. 3 largely because they believe it will help them land Utah’s Carlos Boozer in free agency.

New Jersey’s main position of emphasis once the free-agent market opens July 1 is power forward, with the Nets possessing an estimated $27 million in salary-cap space and with Brook Lopez and Devin Harris entrenched at center and point guard.

The connection between Johnson and Boozer? They're both represented by the same agent: Rob Pelinka.

The selection of Johnson would be a strong tip-off, sources say, that New Jersey will be chasing Boozer hardest when free agency commences, ahead of potential targets such as Phoenix’s Amare Stoudemire.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford indeed has New Jersey selecting Johnson with the third overall pick in his latest mock draft.

Sounds like a good strategy if the Nets can land Boozer (which means they will over-pay). The Nets won't have to wait on Favors to develop and this takes the Nets out of the Eastern cellar.....in-theory.

Starting line-up:

Harris
Lee
Johnson
Boozer
Lopez

Moving CDR seems to me to indicate that they would be drafting Johnson. It could be an elaborate smokescreen to get a pick out of Minn, but that seems pretty risky. I think Johnson really helps with their shooting which was terrible last season. Adding a low-post threat in Boozer should give Lee some more open looks and he should be able to be more productive. The front-court looks like a play-off team. Terrence Williams and Yi are not starters, but they are decent as reserves.

I am not sold on the Harris/Lee backcourt and the reserves are even weaker.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1425 » by verbal8 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:43 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67385/20100623/knicks_will_buy_pick_if_desired_player_is_available/

It says the Nets and Knicks are targeting the Wolves 23rd pick. What would they trade for it? The Knicks really have nothing. I think Wilson Chandler is too high a price. I don't think Toney Douglas makes sense.

The Nets could offer a protected future 1st or possible Courtney Lee(although that seems a bit steep).
closg00
RealGM

Post#1426 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:44 pm

^^^^
I bet they go after Salmons. With their 31st pick, they should be able to get a nice player also.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#1427 » by mhd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:51 pm

I wouldn't sign Boozer if I were the Nets. Assuming Lebron is no go, I'd sign David Lee for the cheaper price. Lopez is already you post presence. Why surround him with another one? Lee would provide some needed toughness and rebounding.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,459

Post#1428 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:43 pm

mhd wrote:I wouldn't sign Boozer if I were the Nets. Assuming Lebron is no go, I'd sign David Lee for the cheaper price. Lopez is already you post presence. Why surround him with another one? Lee would provide some needed toughness and rebounding.

They should draft Favors and sign Rudy Gay. That's a very young and nicely balanced front line.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1429 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:45 pm

If I'm the Nets, I trade the #3 for Blatche. :D
closg00
RealGM

Post#1430 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:00 pm

The Spurs look closer to bringing Splitter over next season, the Draft and stash strategy chip is being cashed-in at the right time.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1431 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:29 pm

closg00 wrote:The Spurs look closer to bringing Splitter over next season, the Draft and stash strategy chip is being cashed-in at the right time.

Would he accept just an MLE contract? Maybe SA gives him 4 years but includes an early opt-out option for him?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1432 » by verbal8 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:
closg00 wrote:The Spurs look closer to bringing Splitter over next season, the Draft and stash strategy chip is being cashed-in at the right time.

Would he accept just an MLE contract? Maybe SA gives him 4 years but includes an early opt-out option for him?

I think the Wizards should offer him 8 million for 2 years with the 2nd a player option. The contract amount would be similar to the 1st 3 years of an MLE deal. If next year is a lockout, he can decline the option go to Europe and come back to the NBA the next year as a free agent.

Either with the Spurs or the Wizards he would likely step in as the starting Center. However he would probably get more playing time with the Wizards. With the Spurs Blair and McDyess would likely cut into his playing time. With the Wizards only McGee would need to get significant minutes at Center and he could play some PF with Splitter.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1433 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Woudln't we have to trade for his rights? He's not a FA...
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1434 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:18 pm

fishercob wrote:Woudln't we have to trade for his rights? He's not a FA...

:nod:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1435 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:29 pm

OKC acquires Dequan Cook. Just payment for the #18? Or maybe a prelude to a deal involving Harden or Thabo?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1436 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:13 pm

One hot rumor being bandied about – The Hornets send Paul to the Boston Celtics for SF Paul Pierce and the Celtics’ first round pick in the Draft.

Right now, it is just being reported as a rumor. No trade has taken place, and it may not even be imminent. But parts of it could make sense for both teams.

Pierce has a player option for $21 million for this upcoming season. Whether he signs it or not, it will eventually free up cap space for his team. And receiving another first round pick for New Orleans would also be nice, where this year’s Draft is fairly deep.

It could also make sense for Boston. Pierce is not the player he was a couple of years ago, and there is no guarantee he will pick up his option and not opt out of his current contract to look elsewhere. With only five or six big name free agents, there will be a number of teams who will miss out on them and still want to bring in a big draw.

Paul would also give Boston a guard who can shoot the ball. He and Rajon Rondo are both great ball handlers, but Rondo still has not developed a great jumper. Paul would give them one of the most versatile backcourts in the NBA.

http://www.bostonsuperblog.com/2010/06/ ... -paul-1337

Can't see why Boston would do this since they already have Rondo.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1437 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:42 pm

Crap. Presti jumped ahead of us and grabbed the #18 pick. They could offer cap relief plus the #32 for Cook. We could only offer cap relief plus the #35.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1438 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:43 pm

That Paul for Pierce deal makes no sense whatsoever. New Orleans doesn't even get any cap relief, just a player who is much older, not as good, and with a bigger salary.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1439 » by closg00 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:21 am

nate33 wrote:Crap. Presti jumped ahead of us and grabbed the #18 pick. They could offer cap relief plus the #32 for Cook. We could only offer cap relief plus the #35.

Why couldn't we offer our #30 + cap relief? Did we even make an offer?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1440 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:26 am

closg00 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Crap. Presti jumped ahead of us and grabbed the #18 pick. They could offer cap relief plus the #32 for Cook. We could only offer cap relief plus the #35.

Why couldn't we offer our #30 + cap relief? Did we even make an offer?

The 30 comes with a guaranteed contract attached, which cuts into the cap relief. Seconds, OTOH, don't have guaranteed contracts.

Return to Washington Wizards