ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,452

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#1441 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:28 am

closg00 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Crap. Presti jumped ahead of us and grabbed the #18 pick. They could offer cap relief plus the #32 for Cook. We could only offer cap relief plus the #35.

Why couldn't we offer our #30 + cap relief? Did we even make an offer?

Miami doesn't want the #30. The #30 is a first round pick and the cap hold is immediately charged to their salary cap. A second round pick doesn't count against their cap until after they sign the drafted player. The only better package would have been the #31 pick (or a future 1st).
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,548

Post#1442 » by closg00 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:36 am

^^^^
What's the difference in salary between a player selected at 30 & one selected at 32? How-much of a hit$$$ would it have been? I wonder what the difference is and I wonder it Miami will keep pick # 32, perhaps we can buy it :)

Edit: Presti isn't GM of the year for nothing.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#1443 » by willbcocks » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:41 am

Second round picks do not have cap holds. First round picks do. Therefore there is a 100% difference between the 30 and 32.

Miami's entire purpose here was to trade cap space, and getting the #30 would cost them 1.2 million of it more than than the 32 or 35 would (both the same).

Good job presti, but nothing we could really do there.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#1444 » by mhd » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 am

Wow, DA saying Denver and GSW having talks of a Kmart for Biedrins+Gadz trade. Actually, it would have to be VladRad instead of Gadz since Gadz cannot be traded with another player since he was just traded for.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#1445 » by mhd » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 am

Double Wow, Woj from Yahoo saying Indy and OKC close on a 10 for 21+18+Maynor swap. I think OKC trades up for Aldrich.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#1446 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:01 am

mhd wrote:Wow, DA saying Denver and GSW having talks of a Kmart for Biedrins+Gadz trade. Actually, it would have to be VladRad instead of Gadz since Gadz cannot be traded with another player since he was just traded for.

Monetary implications aside, I think it's a good deal for Denver. At this point in their careers, I'd say that a Biedrins+Nene frontcourt is better than a Nene+Martin frontcourt. At least now they have the size they need to compete in the West.

GSW really is on a mission to cut cap. Monta Ellis is obviously next.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1447 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:07 am

mhd wrote:Double Wow, Woj from Yahoo saying Indy and OKC close on a 10 for 21+18+Maynor swap. I think OKC trades up for Aldrich.

That's a GREAT deal for the Pacers. If teams are willing to give up those kind of assets for late lottery picks, it could explain why the Wiz haven't been able to announce any moves yet because the bidding is so fierce.

As for the Thunder, I wouldn't be so sure about Aldrich. Their hole at PF is bigger than the one at C IMO (Kristic is decent). A guy like Patrick Patterson would fill a bigger need for them IMO.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#1448 » by willbcocks » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:23 am

If Presti moves up and draft's patterson, that team will be unreal. Sign haywood, wait for Ibaka to take his place, and just place great basketball for 10 years.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,548

Post#1449 » by closg00 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 am

Presti is kicking- ass.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,129

Post#1450 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:45 am

LyricalRico wrote:
mhd wrote:Double Wow, Woj from Yahoo saying Indy and OKC close on a 10 for 21+18+Maynor swap. I think OKC trades up for Aldrich.

That's a GREAT deal for the Pacers. If teams are willing to give up those kind of assets for late lottery picks, it could explain why the Wiz haven't been able to announce any moves yet because the bidding is so fierce.

As for the Thunder, I wouldn't be so sure about Aldrich. Their hole at PF is bigger than the one at C IMO (Kristic is decent). A guy like Patrick Patterson would fill a bigger need for them IMO.

Really? Is Maynor all that good. I think he may develop into a very nice backup but is that what Indy needs?

Indy has enough role players. They need difference makers. I don't see how this deal helps them. They should be trying to trade up, not down.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,057

Post#1451 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:50 am

It would be ironic if Indy selects Larry Sanders with either the 18 or 21, now that they've got Maynor.
Bye bye Beal.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#1452 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:13 am

Eh, Eric Maynor is a career back up. I don't think they'r targeting him, but I think they're looking at the picks. I think Indy feels they can get two players roughly as good as the one player they get at 10. There really isn't a big difference between players 9-21 in this draft. What would you rather have; Patrick Patterson or Kevin Seraphin, possibly Paul George and Eric Maynor? That's really a no brainer.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#1453 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:18 am

Argh, tough break with OKC breaking in line and snaking the 18th there. I'll take time to gather my thoughts before I commence eating kittens.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1454 » by dangermouse » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:42 am

Talk of Clipper's #8 for Deng, it would have to happen post-draft, but that is lunacy. If only Josh stayed healthy and upped his value we could have been all over that.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1455 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:00 am

So, if the Celtics are dangling Perkins for a lottery pick, that suggests rather strongly which way things are going to go there. I don't think Doc Rivers is planning to come back to "integrate youth within a championship framework" or anything of that sort. I also recall hearing that Ainge wanted Doc to "take time to think it over".

Sounds like a blowup to me.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#1456 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:55 am

Hoopalotta wrote:So, if the Celtics are dangling Perkins for a lottery pick, that suggests rather strongly which way things are going to go there. I don't think Doc Rivers is planning to come back to "integrate youth within a championship framework" or anything of that sort. I also recall hearing that Ainge wanted Doc to "take time to think it over".

I would think that Perkins would be the last guy to deal if the Celtics are "pressing the reset button". If Allen and Pierce walk and Wallace retires, the Celtics would have Garnett, Davis, Rondo and Perkins under contract. Moving Garnett would seem to be the first step for me. I would think Rondo, Perkins and Davis would be a core(all in the mid-20s) to rebuild around.

Utah should be all over Perkins for a pick if their pick is high enough. They could let Boozer walk and still have a fairly deep front-court.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1457 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Well, Perk is a guy with a blown knee who's about to be up for a new contract. If that happened to Haywood a couple years ago and somebody offered us a lottery pick for him, you wouldn't have taken that deal?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1458 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Dame, the Warriors are really going slash and burn style here....

The Warriors are talking to a number of teams about potential trades and it looks like the No. 6 pick in the draft is up for grabs. The cost, however is high. The Warriors want whoever takes the pick to take on the contract of Monta Ellis as part of the deal. If the Warriors keep the pick, they're deciding between Greg Monroe and Ekpe Udoh. My source continues to support what I wrote Tuesday night -- Udoh has the edge.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... ft-chatter

I realize Monta isn't an ideal player, but come on, are they going to field the D-League all stars? Dump the 6th pick with Ellis? How can they sell the fans on that?

:nonono:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1459 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:So, if the Celtics are dangling Perkins for a lottery pick, that suggests rather strongly which way things are going to go there. I don't think Doc Rivers is planning to come back to "integrate youth within a championship framework" or anything of that sort. I also recall hearing that Ainge wanted Doc to "take time to think it over".

Yup. The Celtics probably don't want to spend what it'll take to retain Perkins. If they do, they'll have a lot of money sunk into Rondo and Perkins, neither of whom are first-option stars. That team would be trapped in 35-win purgatory for the foreseeable future. Better to blow it all up and rebuild around Rondo.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1460 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:Dame, the Warriors are really going slash and burn style here....

The Warriors are talking to a number of teams about potential trades and it looks like the No. 6 pick in the draft is up for grabs. The cost, however is high. The Warriors want whoever takes the pick to take on the contract of Monta Ellis as part of the deal. If the Warriors keep the pick, they're deciding between Greg Monroe and Ekpe Udoh. My source continues to support what I wrote Tuesday night -- Udoh has the edge.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... ft-chatter

I realize Monta isn't an ideal player, but come on, are they going to field the D-League all stars? Dump the 6th pick with Ellis? How can they sell the fans on that?

:nonono:

I never liked Ellis as a player but I assumed I was in the minority. Sounds like all the GM's in the league don't much like him either. I know he is overpaid, but I didn't think it would cost the #6 overall pick just to dump him.

I can't help but think there is a three-way trade in there somewhere where we give up a TPE to buy that pick, someone else gets Monta Ellis, and we end up with someone else's lousy (but hopefully short) contract.

Return to Washington Wizards