ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#21 » by mohammed10 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:19 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:If Turkoglu just gets paid, but goes to a losing team like Detroit, I think he'll be as unhappy as Larry Hughes was when he left the Wizards.

I see Turkoglu opting out as a lose for him and a lose for the Magic.

CCJ - Perhaps that is why Orlando made their move for Vinsanty (aka - insurance plan for when Turkey Glue leaves)
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#22 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:18 am

Hoopalotta wrote:If Turko-lugo is off to join Pritchard's flock up in Portland, which makes a lot of sense, it would seem that, if Portland has some ideas about a second free agent (Kidd as rumored?), they might do well to work out a sign and trade with the Magic. And it doesn't have to be balanced in salary either. Outlaw for Turk-man would be a huge boost to the magic at just one year for $4 million (I think that's right).

Hadn't considered that. If they could get Outlaw and Blake it would really help with their depth. Still thin up front, though. If Gortat gets a big offer, they might still have to let him walk.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#23 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:06 pm

The Grizzlies had agreed in principle to acquire power forward Zach Randolph on Thursday night but Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling later nixed the trade, according to two NBA sources.
Clippers forward Zach Randolph was the subject of trade talks with the Grizzlies. But Clippers owner Donald Sterling stopped the swap.

During the NBA Draft, executives from both teams hammered out a package with Randolph and Darko Milicic as the key pieces. Griz guard Greg Buckner would also have been included in the transaction.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... wap-fails/

Well, they are well on their way to wasting yet another lottery pick. :nonono:
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 379

Post#24 » by Benjammin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:31 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Well, they are well on their way to wasting yet another lottery pick. :nonono:

When I read that, I thought here was their chance to get rid of Zach, and they blew it. My other thought was, Memphis dodged a bullet and what were they thinking? He'll get points and rebounds, yet still help your team lose. That takes real talent.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#25 » by miller31time » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:50 pm

The Clippers may have gotten the #1 pick and chosen the correct guy but let us all not forget - they're still the Clippers.

That's why they held onto Randolph....because despite their luck in the draft this year, they're still the Clippers.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#26 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:01 pm

After losing to the Lakers and their big front line in the NBA Finals, the Magic are expected to make offers next week in free agency to both veteran Rasheed Wallace of Detroit and young Brandon Bass of Dallas, according to two NBA sources.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/26/magi ... ndon-bass/

Interesting in that this means a shift away from the type of lineup that caused so many problems for opposing teams to a more traditional type of rotation. If they pick up Sheed, he and Vince will make them a much smarter team and will also help them defensively (I think Turkgolu's defense was overrated). But Cleveland and Boston can now match up with them more easily.

Still, if they can get guys like Outlaw and Blake in a sign-and-trad and trade for Hedo, plus retain Gortat, they'd be darn good.

Howard/Gortat
Sheed/Anderson
Lewis/Outlaw
Carter/Pietrus
Nelson/Blake

:o
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#27 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:11 pm

I think that team would cost around $80 Million though. With maybe a 68 Million tax line.

Obviously it would be a real humdinger of a smackdown operation on the court, but I don't know if they pony up for all that. Sheed might be slotted into to back up the 5 as well as play at the 4 some.

(and my feeling is they must plan on either Sheed or Bass; both seems decadent)

They might well start Pietrus and Lewis while letting Gorat walk.

On the other hand, Outlaw and Blake would be off the books after one year.

But I think it is fair to say if they are ready to spend, they could do some things. By the looks of the Carter signing, they are ready to spend big for two years, but want to reassess after that. It's not a bad idea, signing Turk long term is a bit of a horse collar.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#28 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:I think that team would cost around $80 Million though. With maybe a 68 Million tax line.

<snip>

But I think it is fair to say if they are ready to spend, they could do some things. By the looks of the Carter signing, they are ready to spend big for two years, but want to reassess after that. It's not a bad idea, signing Turk long term is a bit of a horse collar.

Yeah, I would think this would be a 2 year run. Sheed would probably get a 2 year deal. Blake and Outlaw expire in 2010. And after 2 more years Carter has a $4M buyout built into his contract. Orlando can take their shot between now and 2011, then reload around the same core of Howard/Lewis/Nelson. That's a great plan, actually.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 379

Post#29 » by Benjammin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:19 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
After losing to the Lakers and their big front line in the NBA Finals, the Magic are expected to make offers next week in free agency to both veteran Rasheed Wallace of Detroit and young Brandon Bass of Dallas, according to two NBA sources.

Interesting in that this means a shift away from the type of lineup that caused so many problems for opposing teams to a more traditional type of rotation. If they pick up Sheed, he and Vince will make them a much smarter team and will also help them defensively (I think Turkgolu's defense was overrated). But Cleveland and Boston can now match up with them more easily.

Still, if they can get guys like Outlaw and Blake in a sign-and-trad and trade for Hedo, plus retain Gortat, they'd be darn good.

Howard/Gortat
Sheed/Anderson
Lewis/Outlaw
Carter/Pietrus
Nelson/Blake

If Sheed is being honest, I doubt he'll sign for less than 5 million, maybe more. Even with the tight financial picture, I think someone will give Gortat at least 5 million. Blake and Outlaw combine for 7.6 million. Add a couple of cheap end of the bench guys and you're looking at 85-88 million! I don't think they're willing to do that. They may as well re-sign Turkoglu if they're going to spend that kind of money.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#30 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Benjammin wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Howard/Gortat
Sheed/Anderson
Lewis/Outlaw
Carter/Pietrus
Nelson/Blake

If Sheed is being honest, I doubt he'll sign for less than 5 million, maybe more. Even with the tight financial picture, I think someone will give Gortat at least 5 million. Blake and Outlaw combine for 7.6 million. Add a couple of cheap end of the bench guys and you're looking at 85-88 million! I don't think they're willing to do that. They may as well re-sign Turkoglu if they're going to spend that kind of money.

I guess the difference is that this would be a short term spending spree. Blake/Outlaw are on expiring deals and Vince has a $4M buyout built into the last year of his contract. If they only sign Sheed for 2 years, they could have their cap under control again in 2011.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:56 pm

There definitely is a certain logic to two years of willy-nilly 'YEHAW!' spending and then hunkering back down again. I like that better than going into 'rather irresponsible' mode for five years. That kind of thing can get you ham strung and hog tied.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,361

Post#32 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:38 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

Howard/Gortat
Sheed/Anderson
Lewis/Outlaw
Carter/Pietrus
Nelson/Blake

As Nate said in another thread...

nate33 wrote:No. With Orlando acquiring Vince, they don't have the luxtax room to pay Turkoglu; which means they don't have the money to pay the incoming salaries they would receive in a Turkoglu sign-and-trade
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#33 » by Hairy Midget » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:42 pm

The Orlando management said after the Finals that we're going to go into the luxury tax. All that extra money from the long playoff run and hype around town has made them open their pockets.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:22 pm

There's a few different ways to go over the cap:

"Well, we've made the decision, taking careful consideration of the books, they we'll go over the salary cap in the determined pursuit of a championship"

And then there's:

"Bartender! Drinks all around! We're broke, drunk and we just don't care anymore! We're hangin' one from the rafters babe!"

$74M is one thing while $85M is quite another. But maybe two years of the latter sort is possible.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#35 » by fishercob » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:I think that team would cost around $80 Million though. With maybe a 68 Million tax line.

Obviously it would be a real humdinger of a smackdown operation on the court, but I don't know if they pony up for all that. Sheed might be slotted into to back up the 5 as well as play at the 4 some.

(and my feeling is they must plan on either Sheed or Bass; both seems decadent)

They might well start Pietrus and Lewis while letting Gorat walk.

Welcome to the WizBoard, hoopalotta. I like the cut of your jib. Keep 'em comin'.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,553

Post#36 » by closg00 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:28 pm

The Bucks just extended the qualifying offer to Sessions, less than 1 mil, I wonder what kind of offers he's going to get and if the Bucks will try to low-ball him?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:36 pm

After drafting Jennings, I don't think they need Sessions, unless they have a plan to move Ridnour.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#38 » by verbal8 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:15 pm

The Rockets are apparently taking over a D-league team. I wonder if most of their second rounders will end up playing there this season.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... franchise/
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#39 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:24 pm

verbal8 wrote:The Rockets are apparently taking over a D-league team. I wonder if most of their second rounders will end up playing there this season.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... franchise/

Lol, I love those moves they made to get extra 2nd rounders. I'll even excuse them for not taking Blair, because they have their own thumpers. I don't know much about Llul (sp?), but Taylor and ChaseBud were steals.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#40 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:33 pm

According to Ric Bucher on Twitter, the Blazers want to sign Hedo straight up and then sign-and-trade for Andre Miller with a package including Steve Blake. If they could the move some of their surplus wings (Outlaw, Webster, Batum) for a quality backup PF they'd be one of the most complete teams in the league.

Return to Washington Wizards