ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#61 » by tkunit » Wed Jul 1, 2009 10:29 am

Ruzious wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:And what's up with Milwaukee not even extending the qualifying offer to Charlie V?

Very baffling what the Bucks are doing. I could see not giving Charlie V a qualifying offer if they were making room for his replacement. His qualifying offer seemed reasonable for his production, worst case they could have done a S&T if the price got too high.

I also assumed the Jefferson trade was made in part to clear room to re-sign Villa, but then they trade back one of the non-guaranteed contracts (Oberto) for Amir Johnson (3.6 mil), so all bets were off. I think what they're planning is to bring over Ilyosova back from Europe - he's coming off of a very good season, and he's a big forward who loves to shoot. And perhaps Villa's comments about wanting to play for Cleveland had something to do with the Bux decision.

I thought the trade was to free up money for Sessions.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#62 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:00 pm

^ Well, Sessions plus Villanueva (or so I thought). Them bringing over Ilyosova makes letting Villanueva go more understandable, though. But if they're going to invest longterm in Sessions, why draft Jennings? Especially when they already have a backup in Ridnour?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,637

Post#63 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:43 pm

can nobody outbid NYK's bid to lee? 32 mil over 4 years is weak sauce. i hope we can get away with something like that for haywood.
Bullets -> Wizards
standupwiz
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#64 » by standupwiz » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:02 pm

pancakes3 wrote:can nobody outbid NYK's bid to lee? 32 mil over 4 years is weak sauce. i hope we can get away with something like that for haywood.

maybe not this year but next year there might be some more competition. I hope EG could pull that off though.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#65 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:14 pm

pancakes3 wrote:can nobody outbid NYK's bid to lee? 32 mil over 4 years is weak sauce. i hope we can get away with something like that for haywood.

Well, if the Thunder go after Milsap, then that's probably the best offer Lee will get. And you're right that it does help set the market for Haywood. He'd be a great value at that point IMO.

But to continue on the Lee topic, by paying him $8M per and also reportedly going after Gortat, NY is apparently taking the stance that they're going to continue to bulld their team in a way that only leave them room to sign one max free agent in 2010.

That could make them a more attractive place for LeBron if he flies solo, but would be problematic if he and Bosh really do have a pact to play together. Then again, this would also give them more pieces to use in a sign-and-trade, which Toronto has already said they want to do.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#66 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:56 pm

It's no secret that the Sixers would like to trade Samuel Dalembert this summer, just like it's no secret that Dalembert has asked the Sixers to trade him in the past.

The Sixers could have a match now that Houston Rockets center Yao Ming might miss the entire season and possibly more with a foot injury that hasn't healed.

The Rockets would also like to trade Tracy McGrady, who is entering the final season of his contract worth $23.2 million.

According to an NBA source, the Sixers might look into such a deal.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/articl ... ture-murky

If the Sixers offered Daly+Green+Smith and did a S&T of one of their FAs for the minimum they could just scrape by using the 125% rule. They still wouldn't be paying the tax this year and they'd all of a sudden have MAX cap space next summer to play with.

The problem would be that I would expect Houston to pursue other options. Still an interesting possibility, though.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#67 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:01 pm

So while suggestions abound Tuesday night from outside the organization that the Jazz may now try to trade Boozer, perhaps before next season gets under way, the possibility remains that Okur will continue extension talks with the team later this offseason.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... .html?pg=1

Interesting. I thought that Boozer opting in meant that Milsap would be gone. But maybe not. I could see the Jazz using Boozer to unload Kirilenko, maybe in a deal with Miami for Jermaine O'Neal. If they also waived

Jazz trade: Boozer and Kirilenko
Heat trade: O'Neal and Wright

Okur/Koufos/Fesenko
Milsap/O'Neal
Korver/Wright/Harpring
Brewer/Miles
Williams/Maynor

Haslem/Blount
Boozer/Kirilenko
Beasley/Jones
Wade/Cook
Chalmers/Quinn

Both teams would pay the tax this year but Utah solves it's tax problems for next year. And even with AK47's extra year, Miami can still re-sign both Boozer/Wade in 2010 and still have room under the tax to fill out their roster.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,553

Post#68 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:20 pm

The re-building of the Pistons is shaping-up nicely if they land Gordon and Villanueva as is being reported. The Kwame signing is a real bargain at the 4 mil they are paying him this year and team overall is going to have some nice size & athleticism

Kwame Brown C 6' 11" 243
Jason Maxiell PF 6' 6" 259
Tayshaun Prince SF 6' 9" 215
Walter Sharpe PF 6' 9" 245
DaJuan Summers SF 6' 9" 243
Jonas Jerebko SF 6' 9" 220
CharlieVillanueva PF 6' 11" 232
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#69 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:25 pm

^ Not sure I like Charlie V in Detroit. IMO they need somebody tougher to play in between Kwame and Prince. IMO they'd be better off going after Milsap. He's harder to get, though.

But the biggest head-scratcher is them going after Ben Gordon after extending Rip. I realize that Ben has come off the bench before but I don't know if he still wants to do that. And even if he does, that's a lot of money tied up in the SG position for them.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#70 » by Hoopalotta » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:49 pm

I also think that Charlie Villain is going to be better if he's playing off of a superstar like D.Howard or LBJ. At that point he might not be the most efficient offensive player just looking at his own numbers, but at least his jumper is providing good court balance and hopefully making room.

On Detroit, well, meh.....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#71 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:56 pm

closg00 wrote:The re-building of the Pistons is shaping-up nicely if they land Gordon and Villanueva as is being reported. The Kwame signing is a real bargain at the 4 mil they are paying him this year and team overall is going to have some nice size & athleticism

Kwame Brown C 6' 11" 243

I don't know - that's not my idea of rebuilding. There's no very young guys with high ceilings, imo. It looks to me like a patchwork of guys that couldn't compete with a frontcourt of Sheed, McDyess, and Prince backed up by Maxiell and whoever (Kwame, Summers, and Amir?) - with a backcourt rotation of Billups, Rip, and Stuckey.

Starting Kwame and Villa... eh, that's not impressive, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#72 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Jul 1, 2009 9:06 pm

I agree, Ruz. I don't like their free agent targets. In fact, I haven't liked a lot of their moves lately. I didn't like their decision to trade Billups. I thought they screwed up when they fired Flip. They gave a lot of money and years to Hamilton, who was their least important starter. Then -- after extending Rip -- they bring in Iverson, who's one of the more selfish players around. They piss off Rip by asking him to come off the bench, then piss off Iverson by reversing the decision. Then Iverson (predictably) quits on them.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#73 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 1, 2009 10:25 pm

Toronto to offer Hedo $60M? Looks like Colangelo is going to try to build a competitive team to convince Bosh to stay. IMO the big decision is what to do with Bargnani, who seemed to break out last season. Do they try to use him as the main part of a package for a true center (like Kaman or Biedrins)? Or do they hold onto him as insurance in case Bosh leaves?

Biedrins
Bosh
Turkgolu
DeRozan
Calderon

Much more athletic and longer than their lineups in the past, which by itself should make them at least somewhat better defensively. Add in the additional toughness that Evans brings off the bench and I think they could be more than competitive in the East.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,799

Post#74 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:29 pm

This is shaping up to be one of those offseasons where they will regret these contracts in about 6 months. $55 million for Ben Gordon is insane. That is starters money, when they have Rip, who is making starters money.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#75 » by Hoopalotta » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:40 pm

This all could work out for the wizards though. While there was a lot of talk about 'the rich getting richer' it is not necessarily going to play that way now by the looks of things.

Though I will say if Cleveland gets Artest and Varajao, they are looking pretty rough and tumble.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,553

Post#76 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:19 am

Ruzious wrote:
closg00 wrote:The re-building of the Pistons is shaping-up nicely if they land Gordon and Villanueva as is being reported. The Kwame signing is a real bargain at the 4 mil they are paying him this year and team overall is going to have some nice size & athleticism

Kwame Brown C 6' 11" 243

I don't know - that's not my idea of rebuilding. There's no very young guys with high ceilings, imo. It looks to me like a patchwork of guys that couldn't compete with a frontcourt of Sheed, McDyess, and Prince backed up by Maxiell and whoever (Kwame, Summers, and Amir?) - with a backcourt rotation of Billups, Rip, and Stuckey.

Starting Kwame and Villa... eh, that's not impressive, imo.

For a team that's being blown-up and starting over, they should be competitive this season while being at the the bottom of NBA team-salaries. They also have some pieces to build a deep team upon.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#77 » by MJG » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:31 am

Rafael122 wrote:This is shaping up to be one of those offseasons where they will regret these contracts in about 6 months. $55 million for Ben Gordon is insane. That is starters money, when they have Rip, who is making starters money.

It'd be bad contract purely on its own. Throw in the rich extension that Hamilton just got though, and it jumps to a whole new level of poor decision making. I tend to be a patient person, but I'm having trouble stopping myself from declaring this the biggest dud signing of the summer right here on day one.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#78 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:33 am

Unless Dumars has something huge up his sleeve, I hate these signings for Detroit. Villanueva for $7M per isn't a terrible deal in and of itself -- his size and shooting ability aren't going anywhere. But blowing all their cap space on those two guys, especially given their current roster, seems silly. Neither guy has ever been an all-star or particularly close. They're one injury -- and a not so serious one at that -- from missing the playoffs altogeher next year.

Man I hope Artest doesn't go to Cleveland. If he doesn't they'll look really foolish for making the Shaq trade. With no picks involved, why not wait to see who opts in/out? Utah's looking to trade Boozer now, and the Cavs presumably could have had him for Wallace's retiring deal. Who would you rather have -- Z, Boozer and Pavlovic's expiring deal or Shaq?

Very interesting that Rudy is reportedly "fuming" over Portland's courtship of Hedo. I don't think we really have much that could get him at this point. He's such a valuable asset...

edited to add: This Villanueva signing should frame what a steal Blatche is. $20M less over the life of his 5-year deal. V may be a better player right now, but not by that much.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,452

Post#79 » by mhd » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:42 am

I'm glad Charlie didn't go to Cleveland. He's the perfect fit for that team in a PF.

Cavs are reportedly looking at Artest. Artest would be good at defending wing players, but he's a horrible outside shooter in terms of taking dumb shots. If I were Artest, I'd sign with Boston.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,452

Post#80 » by mhd » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:43 am

WOW! Clips trade Randolph for Q. Richardson. Never thought they would get an expiring for Zach, but the Clips did it. They also saved a ton of cash.

I like the move for Memphis too. They will never sign a FA, so get a good PF in ZBo. Cleveland should have targetted Zach IMO.

Return to Washington Wizards