ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#841 » by verbal8 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 5:50 pm

verbal8 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Jazz could be close to a deal. Maybe something like Boozer to Miami for Q+Chalmers+pick? It fills holes at SF and PG for the Jazz, while giving the Heat a chance to really compete in the East and also gain Boozer's Bird Rights.

The Jazz might be trading for someone from Portland. They just recalled Mills. Blake would seem logical, but it might be Andre Miller.

I just saw that Blake is in the hospital with pneumonia, so that may be the reason Mills was recalled. ..or it could why the trade is being held up.

I thought Miller might be on the trading block because Roy prefers playing with a "spot-up" PG. However they have been doing well recently with Miller starting.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#842 » by Zerocious » Thu Jan 7, 2010 3:01 am

i know this gilbert gun thing is pretty big news, but it seems some are overlooking the real jaw dropper this week: "Cavs waive Coby Carl" :jawdrop: :lol:
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#843 » by closg00 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:55 pm

Oklahoma City Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti announced today that the team has recalled forward DJ White from the Tulsa 66ers of the NBA Development League. White appeared in six games (six starts) for the 66ers since he was originally assigned to Tulsa on December 26. The 6-9 forward averaged 18.3 points, 11.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per contest while with Tulsa. He tallied four double-doubles and scored 20 or more points twice.

I love Sam Presti :)
verbal8
General Manager

Post#844 » by verbal8 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 9:36 pm

There is an article about the Rockets being interested in Bosh.
It is not surprising that the Rockets are interested in Bosh. It makes a lot of sense.

There also is an article about the Knicks president talking to McGrady. I wonder if there is a three-way trade in the work. NY makes a lot of sense as a destination for McGrady and they definitely have the pieces to entice Houston. Also the contract amount of McGrady to Toronto makes sense(Bosh and Calderon). However actually sending him there does not make as much sense.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#845 » by willbcocks » Sat Jan 9, 2010 1:50 am

From a recent article on the sixers:

"The Sixers are last in the NBA in 3-point defense, allowing teams to shoot a whopping 42 percent against them. Not surprisingly, the Sixers are 1-15 when their opponent shoots 40 percent or better from 3-point range."
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#846 » by miller31time » Sat Jan 9, 2010 2:18 am

willbcocks wrote:From a recent article on the sixers:

"The Sixers are last in the NBA in 3-point defense, allowing teams to shoot a whopping 42 percent against them. Not surprisingly, the Sixers are 1-15 when their opponent shoots 40 percent or better from 3-point range."

Gotta protect the paint!
closg00
RealGM

Post#847 » by closg00 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 2:18 am

The Memphis Grizzlies have claimed former Celtic rookie Lester Hudson off the waiver wire, the Memphis Commercial Appeal are reporting.

Hudson, a former Tennessee-Martin standout, was waived Wednesday by the Boston Celtics. He played in 16 games for the Celtics this season, averaging 1.4 points in 4.4 minutes. He also spent time this season with Maine of the NBA Development League.

:lol: Stolen from the Celts by another team that's on the way up. I wish somehow it could have been us.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#848 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Jan 9, 2010 2:58 am

I don't look at the standings much, but I did tonight and noticed the Pistons have lost 11 straight. They might not have Gilberts gun issue hanging over their franchise, but they are pretty much in a worse state than the Wizards are. They are capped out to hell until 2013. Their five highest paid players are a broken-down over the hill Rip, Tayshawn, Gordon, Villanueva, and Maxiell. That's laughably bad. All of them get paid until 2013 except Prince. Hamilton is probably more untradable than Gilbert.

Anyone who ever considers Dumars a good GM is just on crack. He screwed up with the second pick in the second best draft in NBA history, and he ran the Pistons team into the absolute ground with virutally no hope of being relevant for the next half decade. Suddenly I don't feel so bad about GMEG.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#849 » by MJG » Sat Jan 9, 2010 4:18 am

Ha, EJ is already on the hot seat:

Eddie Jordan's stay in Philadelphia could be a short one.

Philadelphia 76ers president Ed Stefanski refused to say Jordan's job was safe for the rest of the season with the team off to a 10-24 start, nor did he offer a single word of praise for his first-year coach.

Stefanski instead held the entire organization accountable for a slide that has left the Sixers with the second-worst record in the Eastern Conference entering Friday night's game against Toronto.

"It's not just the head coach," Stefanski said before tip-off. "It's the coaches, the players and myself. No one is happy here."
closg00
RealGM

Post#850 » by closg00 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 1:36 pm

MJG wrote:Ha, EJ is already on the hot seat:

Eddie Jordan's stay in Philadelphia could be a short one.

Philadelphia 76ers president Ed Stefanski refused to say Jordan's job was safe for the rest of the season with the team off to a 10-24 start, nor did he offer a single word of praise for his first-year coach.

Stefanski instead held the entire organization accountable for a slide that has left the Sixers with the second-worst record in the Eastern Conference entering Friday night's game against Toronto.

"It's not just the head coach," Stefanski said before tip-off. "It's the coaches, the players and myself. No one is happy here."

What a great scam EJ's got going, he's going to get fired again and collect millions w/o working.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#851 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jan 9, 2010 3:53 pm

verbal8 wrote:There is an article about the Rockets being interested in Bosh.
It is not surprising that the Rockets are interested in Bosh. It makes a lot of sense.

There also is an article about the Knicks president talking to McGrady. I wonder if there is a three-way trade in the work. NY makes a lot of sense as a destination for McGrady and they definitely have the pieces to entice Houston. Also the contract amount of McGrady to Toronto makes sense(Bosh and Calderon). However actually sending him there does not make as much sense.

Interesting thought. I didn't make that connection between the rumors but it does make some sense, especially if TOR likes Jordan Hill. Bosh gives HOU a great handcuff in case Yao's career ends up being over and he could also co-exist with Yao since Bosh is more of a jumpshooter than an inside banger. I'd have to guess that NY's motivation would be to clear more 2010 cap.

Rockets trade: McGrady, Brooks, Cook, and picks
Rockets receive: Bosh, Calderon, and Jeffries

Knicks trade: Hughes, Hill, and Jeffries
Knicks receive: McGrady and Cook

Raptors trade: Bosh and Calderon
Raptors receive: Hughes, Hill, Brooks, and HOU picks

TRADE ID 5370767

Toronto gets young talent in return for Bosh and gets out of Calderon's contract in the process. New York sacrifices a young big they aren't interested in playing for another $6.8M in 2010 cap space, giving them a total of about $34M and thus making them able to sign 2 stars (ironically, one of which could be Bosh). And the Rockets get Bosh for fairly cheap as far as outgoing talent goes (they do take back a lot of salary) in the hopes that he re-signs with them.

Wow, that might be just crazy enough to work. :o
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,578

Post#852 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Dallas just traded Shawnee Williams and Kris Humphries for Najera. Williams will be cut by NJ. Seems like kind of a lateral move to me. I suppose Najera is more experienced and less mistake prone than Humphries so he makes more sense on a team with title hopes. NJ cuts a little more cap.

Dallas loses a center in the deal though. Does this change their level of interest in Haywood? Dampier and Gooden are the only "centers" on the roster, and Gooden doesn't really count.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#853 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:47 pm

nate33 wrote:Dallas just traded Shawnee Williams and Kris Humphries for Najera. Williams will be cut by NJ. Seems like kind of a lateral move to me. I suppose Najera is more experienced and less mistake prone than Humphries so he makes more sense on a team with title hopes. NJ cuts a little more cap.

Dallas loses a center in the deal though. Does this change their level of interest in Haywood? Dampier and Gooden are the only "centers" on the roster, and Gooden doesn't really count.

I see it as Dallas taking on an extra year of longterm salary so they can save $2.3M immediately and open up a roster spot. IMO this is a precursor to another, likely more significant, deal.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#854 » by verbal8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:41 pm

nate33 wrote:Dallas just traded Shawnee Williams and Kris Humphries for Najera. Williams will be cut by NJ.

Didn't NJ waive Sean Williams to make space to make this move?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,578

Post#855 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:56 pm

verbal8 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Dallas just traded Shawnee Williams and Kris Humphries for Najera. Williams will be cut by NJ.

Didn't NJ waive Sean Williams to make space to make this move?

Yes. Ha ha. Dump Sean for Shawne. They'll probably just give Shawne Sean's uniform.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#856 » by Hoopalotta » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Sounds like Hilton Armstrong to the Kings, that was the buggest chunk of empty cap space left open.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sp ... -thei.html

Could push things further for other fiscal deals being done sooner.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#857 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:07 pm

More EJ hilarity.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 ... 002/SPORTS

Ed Stefanski left the question open Friday when he wouldn't guarantee that 76ers coach Eddie Jordan would remain as coach the rest of the season.

When asked about not being backed Monday, Jordan said: "It doesn't bother me."

A Sixers spokesman then quickly ended the pregame press conference before Jordan could field any more questions.

Of course it doesn't bother Eddie. He's gonna get paid no matter what!

:nonono:

And it's always fun to read these little tidbits...

Jordan is in his first season as Sixers coach, and it hasn't gone well. The Sixers came into their game against the New Orleans Hornets with an 11-25 record, including 1-9 in their last 10 home games.

The defense, which was in the middle of the pack last season, is among the worst in the NBA this season. The Sixers rank 28th out of 30 teams in opponents' field goal percentage at 47.8 percent, and last in opponents' 3-point shooting percentage at 41.3 percent.

:lol:

That never gets old!
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#858 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Maybe Eddie could get a corporate sponsorship from these guys?

Sixers Announcer said:
This rout was brought to you by the Eddie Jordan 3M protect the paint defense!

It's perfect!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#859 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Roll commercial...

EJ: "Hi, I'm NBA head coach Eddie Jordan. If anybody knows about protecting the paint, it's me. That's why I use 3M."

Announcer: "Warning - 3M paint protector doesn't stop stains anywhere else."

:rofl:
verbal8
General Manager

Post#860 » by verbal8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:33 pm

What happens next year with Michael Redd if his career is basically over. Is he an insurance covered contract like Harpring or Mobley.

Also what would happen if it was a similar situation, but the player has a player option? Can they exercise the option even if they are not able to play?

Return to Washington Wizards