ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#881 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:08 pm

After a great start the Kings are now 0-5 since Kevin Martin came back and bumped Tyreke Evans to the point. I said a while back that I thought they'd potentially have some problems and it's coming true. I think they need to deal him. The Mavs apparently want to do Howard for Martin, but that would only add to the Kings SF glut. Working on other ideas.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,040

Post#882 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:06 pm

The team that was wise enough to draft Stephen Curry won 111-79 last night. Curry, the same guy I said the Wizards should draft (along with DeJuan Blair) had 32 points, 7 assists, and 4 steals.

Wonder how good he'll be after 2 or 3 years in the league? He's already much better than Foye, who's decent but must be resigned, same as Mike Miller.

Funny, but before the draft I said Curry's better than his dad, who was a 14-year pro. Said the kid had deep range, was a true distributor, would generate a lot of steals, and would be an all star some day or at the very least a solid player. doc and I agreed that Curry was EXTREMELY intelligent and focused. I recall saying his mom was a volleyball player and is now a school principal and Curry was a CAN'T MISS pick, even with Gil back. I said the choice isn't Rubio, it's Curry (and Blair).

Curry's averaging 18.4 pts, 4.7 asts, 4.2 rebs, 2.0 stls on 49% FG and 52.2% 3PT for the month of January.

He's improving as the season goes along and is now better than Jennings IMO.

I'm not a GM but I know one that's not that good. I recall folks arguing against drafting Curry because the Wizards had Gilbert. I said draft Curry and if anything be in position to trade Gilbert, or at least to have coverage if he's injured or never the same.

The Wizards would have a much better record if they had drafted Curry, because most of the early losses were due to Gil being rusty. (Then again Flip might not have played Curry--he's not much better than EG if he's as good).
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#883 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Could the Brown-for-Gray deal be a precursor to an Amare-to-Chicago deal? Brown would give them depth if they were giving up perimeter players. I could see Kerr doing something like this:

Hinrich+Salmons+Tyrus for Amare

Hinrich gives them a reliable option at PG so they can keep Nash fresh. They nearly signed Salmons a couple years ago before he backed out and went to Sacto. He'll come in handy while Barbosa is out. And Tyrus gives them an athletic big who does a lot of the things Stoudamire does but who will cost much less.

For Chicago, even if they don't re-sign Amare they still clear a ton more cap. So they can either keep Amare and sign a perimeter star or let Amare walk and sign two max players. Either way it's a win-win for them IMO.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,040

Post#884 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Actually, the Brown for Gray deal precedes the Green for White trade. Danny Green for DJ White.

Or, it could be that next Micheal Redd gets traded for John Salmon(s).

In one of my kids pack of 1,000,000 Crayola Crayons one of the colors was salmon--Okay, the pack of crayons has 64. Helping him pick them up off the floor when he was little it just seemed like 1 million.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,548

Post#885 » by closg00 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 am

The Rockets sign Will Conroy, a guy I thought we should have taken in the 2nd round a few years ago. Conroy would have been a fine-enough real PG for now.
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... ll_conroy/
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#886 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:55 am

closg00 wrote:The Rockets sign Will Conroy, a guy I thought we should have taken in the 2nd round a few years ago. Conroy would have been a fine-enough real PG for now.
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... ll_conroy/

Is he depth for an impending Lowry trade?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#887 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Here are the most persistent of the several rumors making the rounds:

SHANE BATTER TO DENVER FOR J.R. SMITH

Losing Batter will hurt, but with Trevor Ariza starting to fizzle, the Rockets are in dire need of an explosive, creative scorer. Plus, there are enough stable individuals on the team for Houston to be able to deal with Smith’s shenanigans.

As for Denver, anybody who can help their defense would be a huge plus. And even though Smith is capable of scoring points by the dozen, his continued immaturity has severely diminished his usefulness.

A good deal for both teams.

KIRK HINRICH TO LAKERS FOR SASHA VUJACIC AND ADAM MORRISON

Why the Bulls would want to even think about trading Hinrich is beyond me. His toughness more than compensates for his less-than-stellar ball-handling and his erratic shooting. Meanwhile, the expiring contracts of both Vujacic and Morrison are much more valuable than their expiring talents. For Chicago, it’s all about money -- creating sufficient cap space to compete with the Knicks for LeBron.

Hinrich would be a perfect fit for the Lakers. With Hinrich on board, either Shannon Brown or Jordan Farmar would become expendable, and L.A. would have a worthy successor for Derek Fisher.

A steal for the Lakers.

AMAR'E STOUDEMIRE FOR YI JIANLIAN, COURTNEY LEE, CHRIS DOUGLAS-ROBERTS AND TERRENCE WILLIAMS

Stoudemire is on record as saying that he likes the Nets corps of young players, and that he’d refuse to re-sign with any team that didn’t have a top-notch point guard. Hmmm … I guess Robin Lopez and Jared Dudley aren’t young enough, and Steve Nash is just another guy with the ball on a string.

One unspoken reason why Stoudemire thinks fondly of the Nets is the proximity to the Big Apple. Think of all the fun and lucrative endorsements that would fall into his lap! Also, Stoudemire knows that he’d be The Man in New Jersey.

Too bad Stoudemire’s poor work ethic, disinclination to either pass or play defense, and overall adolescent attitude would still keep the Nets at or near the bottom of the league.

On the other side of the proposed equation, Yi would thrive in a running game where he could avoid body contact. Lee is another okay shooter-and-scooter, and Chris C-D likewise would be more effective in a wide-open game. Williams’ game is still a mystery.

The Suns would be deeper, but appreciably smaller. For all of his faults, Stoudemire is still a force in the paint.

Advantage Nets.

And I have a feeling that some of the trades that will indeed transpire will be beyond any civilian’s imagination.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/orla ... e-problems
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#888 » by verbal8 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:48 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Here are the most persistent of the several rumors making the rounds:

SHANE BATTER TO DENVER FOR J.R. SMITH

A good deal for both teams.

KIRK HINRICH TO LAKERS FOR SASHA VUJACIC AND ADAM MORRISON

A steal for the Lakers.

AMAR'E STOUDEMIRE FOR YI JIANLIAN, COURTNEY LEE, CHRIS DOUGLAS-ROBERTS AND TERRENCE WILLIAMS

Advantage Nets.

And I have a feeling that some of the trades that will indeed transpire will be beyond any civilian’s imagination.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/orla ... e-problems

The first deal seems reasonable enough.

The second seems like a steal by the Lakers, but it does give the Bulls cap space. I think Wade(not Lebron) is the Bull's target. It makes sense to move Hinrich to free up space. However I think they should be able to get a little more(at least unloading Salmons).

If the spurs include Ginobili, I think the Spurs offer trumps the Nets package. Besides Harris and Lopez no one on the Nets seems to be very good.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#889 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:20 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The team that was wise enough to draft Stephen Curry won 111-79 last night. Curry, the same guy I said the Wizards should draft (along with DeJuan Blair) had 32 points, 7 assists, and 4 steals.

Wonder how good he'll be after 2 or 3 years in the league? He's already much better than Foye, who's decent but must be resigned, same as Mike Miller.

Funny, but before the draft I said Curry's better than his dad, who was a 14-year pro. Said the kid had deep range, was a true distributor, would generate a lot of steals, and would be an all star some day or at the very least a solid player. doc and I agreed that Curry was EXTREMELY intelligent and focused. I recall saying his mom was a volleyball player and is now a school principal and Curry was a CAN'T MISS pick, even with Gil back. I said the choice isn't Rubio, it's Curry (and Blair).

Curry's averaging 18.4 pts, 4.7 asts, 4.2 rebs, 2.0 stls on 49% FG and 52.2% 3PT for the month of January.

He's improving as the season goes along and is now better than Jennings IMO.

I'm not a GM but I know one that's not that good. I recall folks arguing against drafting Curry because the Wizards had Gilbert. I said draft Curry and if anything be in position to trade Gilbert, or at least to have coverage if he's injured or never the same.

Wake me up when he does well for a team that has a better record than the Wiz.

The Wizards would have a much better record if they had drafted Curry, because most of the early losses were due to Gil being rusty. (Then again Flip might not have played Curry--he's not much better than EG if he's as good).

But.... Curry wasn't good early in the season, so....
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#890 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:30 pm

^ What Ruz said.

:nod:
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,821

Post#891 » by floppymoose » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:Wake me up when he does well for a team that has a better record than the Wiz.

??? This matters why? Kidd was a good player on a terrible team as a rookie, too. Would you have dismissed him as well?
closg00
RealGM

Post#892 » by closg00 » Mon Feb 1, 2010 10:52 am

And now some eye-candy to distract us from our current woes. Thanks Sixer girls.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/nba-dancers-sixers
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#893 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 1, 2010 3:12 pm

Wow, the Celtics are getting really old really fast. KG is the heart of that team so you gotta keep him and Pierce is still a clutch scorer. But it'll be interesting to see what they do with Ray Allen and his expiring contract. They can't resign him for big money because he's no longer worth it, but even if they let him walk they wouldn't be under the cap. Do they trade him at the deadline for younger pieces?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#894 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 1, 2010 3:29 pm

floppymoose wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Wake me up when he does well for a team that has a better record than the Wiz.

??? This matters why? Kidd was a good player on a terrible team as a rookie, too. Would you have dismissed him as well?

It matters because I think Curry is ideally a 3rd guard for a good team. Kidd was one of the top handfull of PG prospects I've ever seen. That's... somewhat of a difference.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#895 » by cdouglas » Mon Feb 1, 2010 8:15 pm

verbal8 wrote:There is talk of the Knicks buying out hughes. His size, ball handling and defense could be a good fit on the Wizards. I think he fits well with Foye at PG and Miller at SF. I think he works with Butler at SF if Jamison is the PF(keeps at least 2 outside threats on the court).

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64111/20100118/hughes_could_discuss_buyout_again/

Bring Hughes back and Gilbert won't have a problem with returning to the Wizards.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#896 » by verbal8 » Mon Feb 1, 2010 9:08 pm

Foster was attracting interest in the trade market, but is injured. It could increase the interest in Haywood. They have similar salaries, although I think Haywood is more valuable.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... n_indiana/
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#897 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 1, 2010 9:25 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Wow, the Celtics are getting really old really fast. KG is the heart of that team so you gotta keep him and Pierce is still a clutch scorer. But it'll be interesting to see what they do with Ray Allen and his expiring contract. They can't resign him for big money because he's no longer worth it, but even if they let him walk they wouldn't be under the cap. Do they trade him at the deadline for younger pieces?

With Chris Paul out 1-2 months with surgery, what about Allen to NOH in a package involving Okafor? That would give the C's the young big they need to eventually replace Garnett.

My other idea is Allen+Scalabrine to Philly for Iguodala+Dalembert.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,821

Post#898 » by floppymoose » Mon Feb 1, 2010 10:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

It matters because I think Curry is ideally a 3rd guard for a good team. Kidd was one of the top handfull of PG prospects I've ever seen. That's... somewhat of a difference.

In other words, it doesn't matter at all. It's your evaluation of the player, and not the team, that is the basis.
closg00
RealGM

Post#899 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 2, 2010 10:59 am

The Celts and their fans will tell you that Mgmt Fcuked-up by not keeping Lester Hudson around. Memphis went to Hudson against the Lakers playing 12 minutes and scoring 13 points - the guys a baller who just needed a chance. Celts fans are pissed.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#900 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 2, 2010 1:32 pm

closg00 wrote:The Celts and their fans will tell you that Mgmt Fcuked-up by not keeping Lester Hudson around. Memphis went to Hudson against the Lakers playing 12 minutes and scoring 13 points - the guys a baller who just needed a chance. Celts fans are pissed.

Did they at least let him go so they could sign somebody else?

Return to Washington Wizards