Fischella's 2019 Big Board

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Fischella's 2019 Big Board 

Post#1 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:12 pm

This is a preliminary board that comprises a mix of my evaluation pre-season and after watching these guys for a week, some evaluation on which guys I think will be in vs. out as well

Like always, the teams are there to help guide picks between tiers, the order is custom-made using in part 538 projections and in part my idea of how teams might trend considering situation, pick, etc

This is more of a reference for my future self in terms of how I went early in the season about this, and how things will evolve, so take it with a grain of salt

The positions/archetypes are RealGM's owns, several of them are terrible but can't do nothing about it

The fact that teams are there doesn't mean that this is a prediction, this ain't a Mock Draft, it's just a Board but not in a vacuum, going deeper than 30 guys felt pointless to me at this stage;

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: Fischella's 2019 Big Board 

Post#2 » by GimmeDat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:26 pm

I need to get my eyes on Sirvydis, hearing good things about him and you having him at 13 only affirms that.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#3 » by No-Man » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:30 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I need to get my eyes on Sirvydis, hearing good things about him and you having him at 13 only affirms that.

He is not the same player, bit less developed physically (he is younger though), and probably slower, but think Kevin Huerter type
No-Man
RealGM

Post#4 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:20 am

Would say that as of now I am comfortable with a top8 like so;

Tier I

Zion Williamson

Tier II

RJ Barrett
Nassir Little

Tier III

Cameron Reddish
Kevin Porter Jr
Darius Garland
Keldon Johnson
De'Andre Hunter
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#5 » by PLO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 am

Do you still think this draft will be deep? I don’t see it myself, but am open to a different argument.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
PLO
Analyst

Post#6 » by PLO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:31 am

Also, Nas Little has been very unimpressive, I guess you’re projecting some development through the season?
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#7 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:43 am

PLO wrote:Do you still think this draft will be deep? I don’t see it myself, but am open to a different argument.

deep in wings at least which is good, but yeah you are probably right, it depends on how many bad bigs get overdrafted, maybe? :lol:

How is Little unimpressive? has lost a big of quickness/explosiveness cause he has added too much mass imo, but he is still a weird player for his archetype, his shotmaking at his size+his defensive ability, can lock in on guys, even if he has lapses on team D and has real size to be a switchy defender, it's really unheard of, you can't really find guys with his shooting which is tremendous for his age and size, and that defensive upside
PLO
Analyst

Post#8 » by PLO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Fischella wrote:
PLO wrote:Do you still think this draft will be deep? I don’t see it myself, but am open to a different argument.

deep in wings at least which is good, but yeah you are probably right, it depends on how many bad bigs get overdrafted, maybe? :lol:

How is Little unimpressive? has lost a big of quickness/explosiveness cause he has added too much mass imo, but he is still a weird player for his archetype, his shotmaking at his size+his defensive ability, can lock in on guys, even if he has lapses on team D and has real size to be a switchy defender, it's really unheard of, you can't really find guys with his shooting which is tremendous for his age and size, and that defensive upside

Mmmmm. Its really early in the season, but I'd like you to rewatch the footage of him available, because he basically sucks. He fills the physical profile but I'm not sure he's good at the game of basketball.

Why can't a projected top 5 draft pick crack the starting 5 on his college team?

No-Man
RealGM

Post#9 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:21 pm

PLO wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Mmmmm. Its really early in the season, but I'd like you to rewatch the footage of him available, because he basically sucks. He fills the physical profile but I'm not sure he's good at the game of basketball.

Why can't a projected top 5 draft pick crack the starting 5 on his college team?

Because we are talking Roy Williams? he has done this with other top7 RSCI guys like Marvin Williams, Ed Davis, John Henson and JMMcAdoo, like, it's just what he does, Little is top5 in minutes if that helps you out :lol:

Also, how does he suck? like how much or not he can play at this level it's kinda just a point, his tools are all there, I know that he isn't like a plus passer or anything, but his ability to make shots in a variety of ways, when you consider his size, frame, athleticism and defensive upside, make it all worthy imo, like that's a pretty special package
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,991

Post#10 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Thoughts on UCLA's Jalen Hill?
PLO
Analyst

Post#11 » by PLO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Fischella wrote:
PLO wrote:
Fischella wrote:deep in wings at least which is good, but yeah you are probably right, it depends on how many bad bigs get overdrafted, maybe? :lol:

Because we are talking Roy Williams? he has done this with other top7 RSCI guys like Marvin Williams, Ed Davis, John Henson and JMMcAdoo, like, it's just what he does, Little is top5 in minutes if that helps you out :lol:

Also, how does he suck? like how much or not he can play at this level it's kinda just a point, his tools are all there, I know that he isn't like a plus passer or anything, but his ability to make shots in a variety of ways, when you consider his size, frame, athleticism and defensive upside, make it all worthy imo, like that's a pretty special package

He seems OK at catch and shoot and can get into a pull up adequately but that's really all there is to like about his offensive skill set. Watch his ball-handling. He's technically not a good defender right now, his footwork is all over the place.

I agree about his physical measurables but at the moment that's all there is to like about him.

For that reason I'm not going to dismiss him but next time you watch him play think on what I've said about him. I don't think he's good. The best thing going for him seems to be the name Kawhi and that's about it.

When was the last time a guy who was a college 6th man went top 5 in the draft? I actually can't think of anyone myself off the top of my head.

I'm really disappointed TBH, I had very high expectations of him coming in. Its early days but early returns are not looking good.

Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,504

Post#12 » by Ball4life32 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:55 pm

PLO wrote:
Fischella wrote:
PLO wrote:

He seems OK at catch and shoot and can get into a pull up adequately but that's really all there is to like about his offensive skill set. Watch his ball-handling. He's technically not a good defender right now, his footwork is all over the place.

I agree about his physical measurables but at the moment that's all there is to like about him.

For that reason I'm not going to dismiss him but next time you watch him play think on what I've said about him. I don't think he's good. The best thing going for him seems to be the name Kawhi and that's about it.

When was the last time a guy who was a college 6th man went top 5 in the draft? I actually can't think of anyone myself off the top of my head.

I'm really disappointed TBH, I had very high expectations of him coming in. Its early days but early returns are not looking good.

Marvin Williams #2 overall. :banghead:
No-Man
RealGM

Post#13 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm

You got your answer already but there are other examples, Zach Collins not long ago, it's college, coaches go with seniority, and Little is a top5 in minutes, the fact that it bothers you that much is asinine

He looks a bit clumsier, maybe due to extra weight, but he showed herky-jerky and ability to get to his spots in HS tape for his size his handling isn't terrible, I agree that he has been disappointing on D, but he is a frosh, like basically no freshman has been good defensively consistently so far

I have seen every clip of his that is on synergy so far, it's still early and the tools are still there, I agree that some stuff is a bit concerning and I doubt he is ever a + passer, but he still can bring value in ways that make me rank him that high

Saying that physical tools are all there is with him is unfair, his shotmaking is truly special imo
PLO
Analyst

Post#14 » by PLO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Atlhawks09 wrote:
PLO wrote:
Fischella wrote:Because we are talking Roy Williams? he has done this with other top7 RSCI guys like Marvin Williams, Ed Davis, John Henson and JMMcAdoo, like, it's just what he does, Little is top5 in minutes if that helps you out :lol:

Marvin Williams #2 overall. :banghead:

^^ he already mentioned Marvin Williams.

My point is it’s concerning a projected top 5 player isn’t starting for his college team. What’s the reason? Watch Little play next time and get back to me.

No-Man
RealGM

Post#15 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm

PLO wrote:My point is it’s concerning a projected top 5 player isn’t starting for his college team. What’s the reason? Watch Little play next time and get back to me.

this is just dumb, sorry to say, the reason is that Little hasn't been good on team D and that Roy has a top5 player in the nation, and a 5 year Senior that has been the best player on the team this year, in the same roster, if Little was a Center (or Roy was more open-minded to go with Maye at C from the get-go) or a Guard, he would be starting, I mean he has been better than Coby who is starting just because UNC has no Guards really

we are talking college, seniority etc, and a top5-7 team in the nation in terms of talent, Booker didn't start over Aaron Harrison, neither did Zach Collins over Karnowski, there are examples of this always, stubborn coaches that will nitpick things to justify seniority

And again, Little has played the 5th most minutes only 7 less total minutes than Coby White
PLO
Analyst

Post#16 » by PLO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Fischella wrote:You got your answer already but there are other examples, Zach Collins not long ago, it's college, coaches go with seniority, and Little is a top5 in minutes, the fact that it bothers you that much is asinine

He looks a bit clumsier, maybe due to extra weight, but he showed herky-jerky and ability to get to his spots in HS tape for his size his handling isn't terrible, I agree that he has been disappointing on D, but he is a frosh, like basically no freshman has been good defensively consistently so far

I have seen every clip of his that is on synergy so far, it's still early and the tools are still there, I agree that some stuff is a bit concerning and I doubt he is ever a + passer, but he still can bring value in ways that make me rank him that high

Saying that physical tools are all there is with him is unfair, his shotmaking is truly special imo

Well, it’s early stages I guess. He has some big games coming up over the next 6 weeks and the Duke matchup in February will be telling. So maybe we’ll revisit this after then when we have more information on him.

PLO
Analyst

Post#17 » by PLO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:21 pm

“He’s better than Coby” tbh doesn’t say much.

I’m basically saying he can’t crack the starting 5 because he’s not good enough, but we’ll revisit this down the track.

No-Man
RealGM

Post#18 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:29 pm

PLO wrote:“He’s better than Coby” tbh doesn’t say much.

I’m basically saying he can’t crack the starting 5 because he’s not good enough, but we’ll revisit this down the track.

I mean even if that was the case, which it isnt (and it has more to do which position/needs on the starting 5) how good he is as a 19 yo true frosh in relation to Luke Maye and Cam Johnson who are old seniors has no much to with his potential

I guess Zach Collins not getting to play ahead of Karnowski was an issue for you too :lol:
PLO
Analyst

Post#19 » by PLO » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Fischella wrote:

I mean even if that was the case, which it isnt (and it has more to do which position/needs on the starting 5) how good he is as a 19 yo true frosh in relation to Luke Maye and Cam Johnson who are old seniors has no much to with his potential

I guess Zach Collins not getting to play ahead of Karnowski was an issue for you too :lol:

Zach Collins could actually play, he was also never, at any stage of the draft process, a top 5 pick, and for a lot of it wasn’t even lottery projected until latish on in things.

This doesn’t worry you at all? That his own coach has had a look at him and decided “nah, son, you’re not a starter” This doesn’t throw up any red flags for you?

No-Man
RealGM

Post#20 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:38 pm

PLO wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Zach Collins could actually play, he was also never, at any stage of the draft process, a top 5 pick, and for a lot of it wasn’t even lottery projected until latish on in things.

This doesn’t worry you at all? That his own coach has had a look at him and decided “nah, son, you’re not a starter” This doesn’t throw up any red flags for you?

none, but I have followed Carolina for like +10 years, I know Roy

Little is 5th amongst True Freshman in BPM, his efficiency numbers are absurd and he never turns it over, he has been underwhelming on D, and probably that's part of why, along with seniority, he isn't starting, but trying to make a big deal out of it makes no sense to me

again he is 5th in minutes

claiming that Little can't play is, audacious, I mean, he has arguably been the 2nd best players after Cam Johnson numbers wise

Return to Mock Drafts