Marc Davis: Jamal Murray Should Have Received Tech, Not Ejection For Throwing Heat Pad Onto Floor

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Marc Davis: Jamal Murray Should Have Received Tech, Not Ejection For Throwing Heat Pad Onto Floor 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 7, 2024 11:31 am

Jamal Murray threw a heating pad on the floor during the middle of a possession in the Denver Nuggets' 106-80 Game 2 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Referee Marc Davis said after the game that Murray should have been assessed a technical foul, but not been ejected for the incident.

"I was the lead official, and I didn't notice it was on the floor or where it came from until Towns scored," Davis told a pool reporter. "We weren't aware it had come from the bench. If we would have been aware it came from the bench, we could have reviewed it under the hostile act trigger. The penalty would have been a technical foul."

Chris Finch called Murray's act "dangerous" and "inexcusable" and said the Wolves attempted to reason with the officiating crew to adjudicate the incident.

"We tried to impress upon [the referees] there probably aren't many fans in the building that have a heat pack, so it probably had to come from the bench, which they found logical," Finch said. "I'm sure it was a mistake and an oversight and nothing intentional by the officiating at all, but certainly can't allow that to happen."

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 208

Re: Marc Davis: Jamal Murray Should Have Received Tech, Not Ejection For Throwing Heat Pad Onto Floor 

Post#2 » by RipCityKJ » Tue May 7, 2024 2:10 pm

So now any player can toss anything on the court during a game and know not only will they not be suspended, they won’t get eject either. This should be interesting.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,713

Re: Marc Davis: Jamal Murray Should Have Received Tech, Not Ejection For Throwing Heat Pad Onto Floor 

Post#3 » by Crunch 99 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:25 pm

The league office has to take a look at this and suspend Murray. We can't have players from the bench putting players on the court in danger and interrupting live action.
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 63

Post#4 » by YourGM99 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:24 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:So now any player can toss anything on the court during a game and know not only will they not be suspended, they won’t get eject either. This should be interesting.

Denver is on a roll and they’re making some ground breaking revelations with officiating. Last round we learned that you can smack a player in the head after they release their shot and it’s not a foul.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 143

Post#5 » by haste10176 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:39 pm

This is utterly ridiculous a fan did this they would never be welcome back rightfully so the act was super dangerous a player could of been injured.. If this isnt an ejection/suspension what is? Insanity.. I dont want Jamal out cause i want an interesting game 3 but hell yeah he has to be suspended..
haste10176
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by haste10176 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:40 pm

YourGM99 wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:So now any player can toss anything on the court during a game and know not only will they not be suspended, they won’t get eject either. This should be interesting.

Denver is on a roll and they’re making some ground breaking revelations with officiating. Last round we learned that you can smack a player in the head after they release their shot and it’s not a foul.

That was the most ridiculous officating call ive ever seen and that was on review its not even a thing it all in the play so of course thats a foul..
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 587

Post#7 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:39 pm

Admittedly I'm cheering for Denver but because no one was impacted, I don't see the need to sully the series by suspending Murray. If the Wolves are going to win, I'm sure they want to win with all of the Nuggets available to play so there are no excuses.
haste10176
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by haste10176 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:59 pm

Ssj16 wrote:Admittedly I'm cheering for Denver but because no one was impacted, I don't see the need to sully the series by suspending Murray. If the Wolves are going to win, I'm sure they want to win with all of the Nuggets available to play so there are no excuses.

Total neutral here would rather see good games however murray has to be suspended that is utterly unacceptable players could of been injured it was lucky they werent. A fan did that they would be sent packing with no return rightfully so.. This is not even a hard decision.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 669

Post#9 » by FeatheryTouch » Tue May 7, 2024 6:19 pm

Ssj16 wrote:Admittedly I'm cheering for Denver but because no one was impacted, I don't see the need to sully the series by suspending Murray. If the Wolves are going to win, I'm sure they want to win with all of the Nuggets available to play so there are no excuses.

Wait, so you think the league should not suspend Murray for his tantrum and dangerous actions based on the rationale that Minnesota might "feel" slightly better about beating a full-strength Nuggets team?

C'mon now, that is ridiculous.
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 63

Post#10 » by YourGM99 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:29 pm

haste10176 wrote:
YourGM99 wrote:

That was the most ridiculous officating call ive ever seen and that was on review its not even a thing it all in the play so of course thats a foul..

I would’ve been smacking players across the head or hitting their arm after every shot was released for the rest of the series.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,268

Post#11 » by Darthlukey » Tue May 7, 2024 7:46 pm

YourGM99 wrote:

You play vs the lakers often enough and you get to learn about all kinds of reffing styles
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,233

Post#12 » by Dan33185 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:43 pm

Have you seen the first 2 games?
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Post#13 » by tigerae » Tue May 7, 2024 11:57 pm

YourGM99 wrote:
haste10176 wrote:
YourGM99 wrote:

I would’ve been smacking players across the head or hitting their arm after every shot was released for the rest of the series.

I couldn't agree with you more. How Mikey Malone didn't get at least a tech was insane. He should have straight up been tossed, but like you said, they learned they can get away with murder. Murray at the very minimum should have a hefty fine, 50k or 100k if they don't suspend him for a game. That doesn't belong in sports because for one, anyone, including one of his teammates, could have stepped on that and have a very serious injury since its a soft pack. Second, could have easily translated in to the fans trying to throw something on the floor as well. Lastly, he was trying to throw it at the ref from what I saw.

Return to Wiretap Discussion