Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Re: MLS Expansion Thread 

Post#21 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AndrewDasNYT/status/591639250485039104[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AndrewDasNYT/status/591644348665716736[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AnAbnos/status/591638795751186432[/tweet]

Just some expansion news for the cities still hoping to get in.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#22 » by King Malta » Thu May 21, 2015 11:20 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Finnaly a team of Minnesota in the MLS.
Great news !!!

Hey Foye, you will support them?

;)

Looks like I'll have an MLS team now!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Atlanta United FC: MLS's 2017 expansion team selects its name

Born in the 1830s and then reborn toward the end of the 19th century, Atlanta is a big, bustling metropolis rich in history and iconography. It’s been a transport nexus in the rail and jet ages, it hosted an Olympics and it was a primary front in the civil rights movement. It’s been regarded as the cultural and economic capital of the American south. From the dogwood and the peach to the stunning phoenix rising on the city seal, there’s plenty of imagery available to inspire.

Rather than relying on its own backyard when choosing a name, however, it appears Atlanta’s new Major League Soccer team is looking abroad, toward England and the sport’s foundation (and maybe north to Washington D.C., as well). Multiple sources have told SI.com that Atlanta United FC has been selected as the expansion team’s name.

It will be introduced officially on July 7, along with a logo that’s thought to feature a prominent ‘A’ and the club’s red, yellow/gold and black colors. The Twitter hashtag associated with the unveiling event is #bringyourAgame, likely a reference to the logo, while the tagline is, “One Night. One Team. One Celebration To Remember,” which may be a subtle hint at the new name.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/06/25/atlanta-united-fc-mls-expansion-2017

Just a terrible name considering Minnesota who is joining the league also uses "United".
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#24 » by Mr. E » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Not a fan of the Atlanta name. That's without even realizing that Minnesota was already expanding with that name.

Of course, I'm still bitter that Houston changed from 1836 to the Dynamo!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:50 am

Atlanta's MLS expansion team, which kicks off in 2017, officially has a name, logo and club colors.

Atlanta United FC unveiled their club badge and colors on Tuesday night at an event held for club supporters at a local midtown Atlanta establishment.

Owner Arthur Blank, club president Darren Eales and technical director Carlos Bocanegra were all in attendance, and the reveal was made through a video narrated by long-time soccer commentator Jon Champion.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/07/mls-expansion-team-atlanta-united-fc-unveil-logo-club-colors-and-new-hashtag
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

MLS Expansion Thread 

Post#26 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:48 am

Logo looks beautiful. Can't wait for 2017! Will have to buy some tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#27 » by dms269 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 10:53 am

The logo and the color scheme is nice.

The name, on the other hand, is pretty terrible.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jul 8, 2015 12:32 pm

uga_dawgs24 wrote:The logo and the color scheme is nice.

The name, on the other hand, is pretty terrible.

I agree 100%

The name is just odd considering the team didn't "unite" anything to be created.

I have also heard complaints about the logo looking like a Marvel Comics logo.
jagstang76
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#29 » by jagstang76 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:35 pm

I personally love the name! I actually mentioned it on a message board talking about ideas for names, and I was pleasantly surprised when they picked it. It actually does describe what I believe the team will be accomplishing for the diversity in ATL. It also represents the global character and presence of the city as it is a major hub for travel/commerce. To also have them play in Blank's new stadium will instantly mean huge potential for the fledgling club for the future. I can't be more excited!!!
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#30 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Logo is fine, but yeah, it reminds me of the Avengers/Marvel.

The name seems lazy, but it'll be nice to have a Southeast rival. Not like Miami is getting its act together any time soon.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:27 pm

Miami now one step closer to MLS.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/622070651852079106[/tweet]
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Dec 5, 2015 3:32 pm

David Beckham ownership group announces deal for a Miami stadium site in Overtown

Could the fourth time be the charm in David Beckham's quest for a soccer stadium in Miami?

On Friday Miami Beckham United announced that the prospective MLS ownership group has identified a site for a privately financed stadium in Overtown, northwest of downtown Miami in an area known as the Miami River District.

It is the fourth site pursued by the group after failed attempts at three other locations over two years -- at PortMiami, another bayfront location adjacent to the NBA's American Airlines Arena and most recently a site in Little Havana next to the Marlins Park baseball field.

"Miami Beckham United has secured a stadium development site at 650 Northwest 8th Street in the City of Miami's historic Overtown neighborhood," read a statement from Miami Beckham United. "We intend to create an assemblage of private and County-controlled land totaling approximately nine acres in Miami's urban core, within walking distance of multiple public transit options and the up-and-coming Miami River District. The private properties, which comprise the majority of the land, are under contract and we intend to purchase the County land at fair market value pending approval of our site by the MLS Board of Governors."

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez confirmed the signing of a letter of intent with Miami Beckham United for the acres owned by the county and managed by the Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department. Beckham's prospective MLS ownership group "would pay fair market value for the property," according to Gimenez, in a sale that would be subject to approval by the Board of County Commissioners.

“The signing of this non-binding Letter of Intent may be the most significant step in our collective efforts to make Major League Soccer a reality in Miami-Dade County," Gimenez said in a statement. "It is also further confirmation that Miami Beckham United wants its franchise to be in our community.”

The announcement comes just a day before the MLS Board of Governors is set to meet in Columbus, site of MLS Cup 2015 between Columbus Crew SC and the Portland Timbers (4 pm ET on ESPN and UniMas in USA; TSN and RDS2 in Canada).

"As we have said, this will be the most responsible stadium development in Miami history," continued the Miami Beckham United statement. "Construction of our venue will be privately financed and we will work with Miami-Dade County Public Schools to establish our club as an educational resource for the community. We will also engage nearby businesses and residents as we develop our stadium design and take steps to enhance the neighborhood.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/04/david-beckham-ownership-group-announces-deal-miami-stadium-site-overtown
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#33 » by RJM » Sat Dec 5, 2015 9:39 pm

Hell yeah. It's on! We've been waiting for them down here!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Dec 6, 2015 9:50 pm

RJM wrote:Hell yeah. It's on! We've been waiting for them down here!

What do you think about the location?

Looks like a tiny lot to me. Won't parking be an issue?
RJM
General Manager

Post#35 » by RJM » Sun Dec 6, 2015 11:25 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:

It's always an issue in Miami. What might likely happen is further acquisitions of surrounding land for parking lots. Also, it's likely that local residents will do what they did with Marlins Park and rent out parking spaces for a certain price. That's the first thought that comes to mind.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Dec 7, 2015 1:00 pm

RJM wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

It's always an issue in Miami. What might likely happen is further acquisitions of surrounding land for parking lots. Also, it's likely that local residents will do what they did with Marlins Park and rent out parking spaces for a certain price. That's the first thought that comes to mind.

From what I understand, it's also not the nicest area, so this new stadium should help the whole community.
RJM
General Manager

Post#37 » by RJM » Mon Dec 7, 2015 5:16 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
RJM wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

From what I understand, it's also not the nicest area, so this new stadium should help the whole community.

No, it's not. But what might happen is the following: Investment into the franchise causes property values to rise, likely making it possible for businesses to move in. People might use this as an opportunity to sell their property and relocate elsewhere, or they might end up not being there anymore either way. The space then becomes a bit more commercialized and gentrified.

Yeah, gentrified. It's so much a race issue, but one concerning crime rates in the area. The city will figure something out. Last I checked, people aren't too keen on getting robbed on their way to the arena. The difference between there and where the HEAT play is that while the homeless are scattered throughout the surrounding area, it's right by Bayside. This one's a little different.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Dec 9, 2015 3:45 am

MLS announces plans to expand league to 28 teams

MLS' current expansion plans call for 24 teams by 2020. Atlanta, Los Angeles and Minnesota will join the league during the next three years, with Miami taking one step closer on Saturday to becoming the 24th team. In addition, MLS has engaged in discussions with multiple markets and potential owners regarding future expansion.

"There is no shortage of demand for MLS expansion teams, and we believe the opportunity exists to grow beyond our current plans," MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a statement. "During the next few months, we will evaluate the possibility of growing the league to 28 teams and establish a process and timeline should we decide on further expansion."

Miami

"We are very supportive of Miami Beckham United's plans to build a soccer stadium in the City of Miami's Overtown neighborhood," said Garber. "Their vision for a world-class venue within the urban core that is accessible by mass transportation is impressive, and we believe it will be an important part of the continued revitalization of the area. We look forward to working with David and his partners to finalize plans to bring Major League Soccer to Miami."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/05/mls-announces-possible-plans-expand-league-28-teams-scheduling-updates
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jan 7, 2016 4:02 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/theScore/status/685128280870006784[/tweet]

What do you think? I actually really like this crest.

Hopefully L.A's second MLS team can generate some new fans to the sport.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#40 » by edfmx86 » Sat Jan 9, 2016 1:34 am

Reminds me of the current Minnesota logo.

Return to Major League Soccer