Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,100

Re: 2023 WNBA Season Discussion 

Post#201 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 7, 2023 6:46 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh man that's huge. Heard any other expansion news?

I really thought we'd hear more about Toronto by now.

No, no other whispers about expansion though there do seem to be some power struggles in TO ownership that may be hampering progress there.

Too bad as there couldn't be a better time for it.

I wonder, too, whether SA will reinvest in another team. But I think that's further down the line given we just pulled interest (bad timing with rebuild and COVID overlapping) and I think talks and eventual realization for a new arena (perhaps closer to Alamodome) are higher on the restrengthening foundations list.

Interesting that MDB stated Portland. They were 9th in attendance last season, have some exciting prospects via draft, and have shored up positions of need well with the Dame trade(s). It's been over 20 years since Fire played there and it's an entirely different WNBA landscape now. Would be interesting to see how a return would be approached.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,755

Post#202 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Oct 7, 2023 7:33 pm

G R E Y wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh man that's huge. Heard any other expansion news?

I really thought we'd hear more about Toronto by now.

No, no other whispers about expansion though there do seem to be some power struggles in TO ownership that may be hampering progress there.

Too bad as there couldn't be a better time for it.

I wonder, too, whether SA will reinvest in another team. But I think that's further down the line given we just pulled interest (bad timing with rebuild and COVID overlapping) and I think talks and eventual realization for a new arena (perhaps closer to Alamodome) are higher on the restrengthening foundations list.

Interesting that MDB stated Portland. They were 9th in attendance last season, have some exciting prospects via draft, and have shored up positions of need well with the Dame trade(s). It's been over 20 years since Fire played there and it's an entirely different WNBA landscape now. Would be interesting to see how a return would be approached.

I read that Koreen article today insinuating that Ed Rogers is to blame for the withdrawn bid from Toronto. He didn't have proof but it lines up with everything I've heard about the guy. Boorish idiot rich son throwing his weight around as much as possible.

Toronto would eat up a W team. I honestly believe they'd lead the league in attendance.

I've always heard Portland whispers right up there in Toronto but I know less about that market.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 506

Post#203 » by zike_42 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 6:26 am

I've been banging on about expansion because there is too much talent in the league so I'm over the moon about the GS bid. I feel like teams can't have patience with rookies/high potential players and seeing first round picks being cut during their first season was depressing. As cupcakesnake (great name BTW) said, Toronto really needs a team.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#204 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:09 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#205 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:23 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#206 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:53 pm

G R E Y wrote:
Read on Twitter

NICE!!!!!!!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#207 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:02 pm

Hmm ok. Hammon's contract about to be renegotiated then lol

Read on Twitter
?s=20
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#208 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:40 pm

G R E Y wrote:Hmm ok. Hammon's contract about to be renegotiated then lol

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Mark Davis better act accordingly. This is unacceptable.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#209 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:49 pm

Just wanted to take the time to thank the mods for setting up a place to discuss not only the WNBA, but women's basketball overall, where the topic can be given the respect and love the sport deserves. I'll be supporting this forum with everything I've got and hopefully we get more people on the fun wagon, because folks are missing out on some killer hoops.

Fantastic season everyone. We've got NCAA Dubya hoops next, and then the draft where we've got some straight up nuclear weapons about to enter the W. What a time yall. What a time

Also, can someone get the higher ups to give us WNBA team logos for our profiles? :)

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#210 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 2, 2023 1:18 am

The Portland expansion plans have failed.

Read on Twitter

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#211 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Nov 3, 2023 1:16 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Just wanted to take the time to thank the mods for setting up a place to discuss not only the WNBA, but women's basketball overall, where the topic can be given the respect and love the sport deserves. I'll be supporting this forum with everything I've got and hopefully we get more people on the fun wagon, because folks are missing out on some killer hoops.

Fantastic season everyone. We've got NCAA Dubya hoops next, and then the draft where we've got some straight up nuclear weapons about to enter the W. What a time yall. What a time

Also, can someone get the higher ups to give us WNBA team logos for our profiles? :)

Great point.

I'm not a massive WNBA watcher, but I watch a lot of women's basketball live. Didn't take me long to get over the differences to the men's game around sheer size, speed, jump, and appreciate the game for what it is.

I commonly prefer the teamwork and connectedness of the women's game, and find myself learning a whole lot more about the game as a result.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#212 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Nov 3, 2023 1:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

If I'm the Charlotte Hornets, I'm trying to make sure she doesn't need to worry about a WNBA contract for a while...
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#213 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:23 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Just wanted to take the time to thank the mods for setting up a place to discuss not only the WNBA, but women's basketball overall, where the topic can be given the respect and love the sport deserves. I'll be supporting this forum with everything I've got and hopefully we get more people on the fun wagon, because folks are missing out on some killer hoops.

Great point.

I'm not a massive WNBA watcher, but I watch a lot of women's basketball live. Didn't take me long to get over the differences to the men's game around sheer size, speed, jump, and appreciate the game for what it is.

I commonly prefer the teamwork and connectedness of the women's game, and find myself learning a whole lot more about the game as a result.

Same brother, same.

Honestly, the women's game is much more entertaining to me. It's more team oriented and relies on finesse and skill as opposed to freak athleticism, there's a purity to it that I feel that the men's game lost a long time ago.

Some of my favorite NBA players of all time are guys that fall moreso on the skill/crafty side of the game like Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce, Brandon Roy, etc so it just feels right that I would love the WNBA/NCAA W as I get older.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#214 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:24 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

If I'm the Charlotte Hornets, I'm trying to make sure she doesn't need to worry about a WNBA contract for a while...

I would too, but that team is full of knuckleheads and one of them is a full blown abuser. I'd rather that Becky take over for Pop and oversee Wemby's career honestly.

And this brings up another topic...how does the NBA expect to have a woman coach one of their teams in the future if they're soft on domestic violence?

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#215 » by G R E Y » Sun Nov 5, 2023 3:49 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

She interviewed for a handful of NBA teams before LVA came calling with a too good to pass up offer. She stepped into the HC position on a team with a roster ready to compete, the season is shorter, so competing for it all and then way more time for/with family. I'm not sure that any NBA situation would be preferable, all the less so one with some off-court issues for several players.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#216 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Nov 7, 2023 3:03 pm

G R E Y wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

She interviewed for a handful of NBA teams before LVA came calling with a too good to pass up offer. She stepped into the HC position on a team with a roster ready to compete, the season is shorter, so competing for it all and then way more time for/with family. I'm not sure that any NBA situation would be preferable, all the less so one with some off-court issues for several players.

Substantial difference in money, a chance to be the first woman ever to do it, and (perhaps) a chance to turn something around.
It'd have to be part of a teardown I think...people like Miles Bridges just shouldn't be on court, and part of my thinking here is that they'd be drawing a line through their current 'culture' in as strong a way as possible.

And to be clear, I don't think I'd do it if I was her. I think I'd be pulling out all stops to get it done if I was Charlotte.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#217 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Nov 7, 2023 3:06 pm

Went to Melbourne Boomers training today, got to watch Jordan Canada live for the first time, albeit just in team scrimmages.
She has only been over here for a couple of weeks, but her ball handling and ball pressure were clearly better than the rest of the team today.
A couple of key guards missing from the lineup (one being Kristy Wallace, who you guys might know?) but she looked able to beat the rest of the roster off the dribble whenever she felt like it.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#218 » by G R E Y » Tue Nov 7, 2023 3:35 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Substantial difference in money, a chance to be the first woman ever to do it, and (perhaps) a chance to turn something around.
It'd have to be part of a teardown I think...people like Miles Bridges just shouldn't be on court, and part of my thinking here is that they'd be drawing a line through their current 'culture' in as strong a way as possible.

And to be clear, I don't think I'd do it if I was her. I think I'd be pulling out all stops to get it done if I was Charlotte.

I don't know how much her contract is but up until recently it was the highest in WNBA among coaches so I guess the question is how much is enough? That's one thing.

The other is the offset of time with family. They have two young boys. I guess maybe moving when they are younger could be better/easier but it'll get harder the older they are.

I seriously doubt that a team which kept an abuser would be any kind of situation for Hammon or any woman. Franchise hasn't shown any kind of proper priorities so bringing a woman on board to fix a culture that contradicts what FO is fine with seems like a clash.

Also, not sure Hammon would prefer a complete rebuild coming from a winning program. Those teams may, but it may not be mutual. Not that she can't, but now that she has b2b titles she may hold out for a NBA situation that is a right fit in terms of compete level from the start.

If I recall, she interviewed with Portland for sure and I think Bucks, among others. I think she'd be good with either Dame or Giannis. Now Dame and Giannis, if you catch my drift. Bucks should have her on speed dial.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#219 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:55 pm

G R E Y wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
G R E Y wrote:She interviewed for a handful of NBA teams before LVA came calling with a too good to pass up offer. She stepped into the HC position on a team with a roster ready to compete, the season is shorter, so competing for it all and then way more time for/with family. I'm not sure that any NBA situation would be preferable, all the less so one with some off-court issues for several players.

I don't know how much her contract is but up until recently it was the highest in WNBA among coaches so I guess the question is how much is enough? That's one thing.

The other is the offset of time with family. They have two young boys. I guess maybe moving when they are younger could be better/easier but it'll get harder the older they are.

I seriously doubt that a team which kept an abuser would be any kind of situation for Hammon or any woman. Franchise hasn't shown any kind of proper priorities so bringing a woman on board to fix a culture that contradicts what FO is fine with seems like a clash.

Also, not sure Hammon would prefer a complete rebuild coming from a winning program. Those teams may, but it may not be mutual. Not that she can't, but now that she has b2b titles she may hold out for a NBA situation that is a right fit in terms of compete level from the start.

If I recall, she interviewed with Portland for sure and I think Bucks, among others. I think she'd be good with either Dame or Giannis. Now Dame and Giannis, if you catch my drift. Bucks should have her on speed dial.

Becky would light Dame up for his horrible defense :lol:

But yeah, can you imagine her running that squad? No offense to Adrian Griffin, but Becky would have that 1-4 PnR with Giannis and Dame destroying teams. I watched them against the Nets last night for a bit and I was not impressed.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#220 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:04 pm

Schedules are out. Liberty vs Aces June 15th, 12pm Saturday matinee clash!!!!!

Return to WNBA