ImageImage

Welcome Nick Smith Jr

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 940

Re: Welcome Nick Smith Jr 

Post#161 » by Robot Rock » Sun Jan 7, 2024 7:06 pm

Which ankle gets sprained tomorrow night?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#162 » by fatlever » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:20 pm

Robot Rock wrote:Which ankle gets sprained tomorrow night?
Left

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 940

Post#163 » by Robot Rock » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:00 pm

fatlever wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:Which ankle gets sprained tomorrow night?
Left

The game is 7 hours away and I already know you're correct.
NMBSurfin
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#164 » by NMBSurfin » Mon Jan 8, 2024 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#165 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:22 pm

man, if i was shooting 50% from 3 i wouldn't change a thing
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 131

Post#166 » by Goodecharlotte » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:40 pm

So is Nick going down with a sprained ankle tonight. Because you know we can't have as a Hornets fan nice things
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#167 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 8, 2024 10:23 pm

Goodecharlotte wrote:So is Nick going down with a sprained ankle tonight. Because you know we can't have as a Hornets fan nice things

i think nick jr was sparred injury because of cody's new injury
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,286

Post#168 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:39 pm

Speaking about his lack of rim pressure. He only shoots 9% of his total attempts inside of 3 ft, he is shooting 33% on those attempts. Both abysmal numbers. Dead last on the team. Bottom 10 in the league.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#169 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:45 pm

I mentioned in the other thread that his last two weeks have not been very impressive. He had that fantastic stretch of shooting threes at a great percentage, but I don't think that was sustainable. He's got to find other parts of his game that he can bring night in and night out consistently. I don't know if that's defense or rim pressure or getting to the free throw line or creating offense for others, but it can't just be a spot up three-point shooter and low percentage end of clock ISO mid-range shooter.

He's really got to get a lot stronger and clearly improve at the rim and getting to the free throw line. Otherwise he'll be pretty easily replaceable over the next few years as other guards are drafted.

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#170 » by Rich4114 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:11 pm

I will say, I was mostly worried about the ball sticking when it came to him but he makes a decision fast. He's just been very inefficient inside the arc and has had butter fingers at the rim a few times. I think he's going to be good though.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#171 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:23 pm

Just to put the at the rim numbers more into perspective.

He is 5/15 from inside of 3 feet on the season. He has played in 29 games.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,273

Post#172 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:00 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Speaking about his lack of rim pressure. He only shoots 9% of his total attempts inside of 3 ft, he is shooting 33% on those attempts. Both abysmal numbers. Dead last on the team. Bottom 10 in the league.

Yep I mentioned this the other week. He is super reluctant to go to the rim (prefers the floater or pull up J) and can't finish there either. He really needs to work on that in the offseason.

He's not going to get many open looks to shoot if he doesn't develop some ability to get to the rim. It would really open up his game offensively if he can do this. It's going to be his limiting factor and it would be a shame considering what a good deep shooter he is projecting to be.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#173 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:12 pm

we have an entire roster of rim adverse guards
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#174 » by SWedd523 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:22 pm

I don't really care about his rim pressure right now.

He's a late first round pick who is about a year behind his peers developmentally due to his injuries, especially physically.

So he can't LeBron his way to the rim. Oh no!

If he can continue to be a high level shooter and work on sustaining that with volume then he'll always have a place on the team and in the league. Nobody cares about Duncan Robinson's rim pressure, or Grayson Allen, Malik Beasley, Korver, Redick, etc.

He has a lot to work on, duh, but I'm more concerned with him maintaining his shooting right now. the ball handling, attacking the rim, physical stuff will come with time.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:16 pm

SWedd523 wrote:I don't really care about his rim pressure right now.

He's a late first round pick who is about a year behind his peers developmentally due to his injuries, especially physically.

If he can continue to be a high level shooter and work on sustaining that with volume then he'll always have a place on the team and in the league. Nobody cares about Duncan Robinson's rim pressure, or Grayson Allen, Malik Beasley, Korver, Redick, etc.

He has a lot to work on, duh, but I'm more concerned with him maintaining his shooting right now. the ball handling, attacking the rim, physical stuff will come with time.

Nick Smith IMO has a lot more in his bag potentially than generic white shooter guys. I hold him to a higher future than that. He was pretty much the highest ranked recruit coming out of HS and has a lot more scoring potential than the guys you mentioned if he works on some basics.

I've also been one of his biggest cheerleaders on here in the last couple of months so I'm not trying to talk him down. His shooting has impressed but he has more in the locker.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,001

Post#176 » by wilson115 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:00 am

I think he isn't fully recovered from the injury. He certainly wasn't billed as "strictly a shooter" in high school.

Almost got blocked by the rim here:

Read on Twitter
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#177 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:47 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:

Nick Smith IMO has a lot more in his bag potentially than generic white shooter guys. I hold him to a higher future than that. He was pretty much the highest ranked recruit coming out of HS and has a lot more scoring potential than the guys you mentioned if he works on some basics.

I've also been one of his biggest cheerleaders on here in the last couple of months so I'm not trying to talk him down. His shooting has impressed but he has more in the locker.

You're missing my point.

Can he be more than strictly a shooter? Sure, probably, maybe.

He's still a late first on a delayed developmental curve. Most guys in his draft range don't even make it out of their rookie deal.

If he can carve out minutes by first focusing on being a great shooter and then work on the rest of his game as time progresses then cool. His game isn't 1on1 breaking dudes down and dunking on people. Why force it? Do what you're good at, rookie, and get that PT.

I'm not going to criticize him because he doesn't drive to the hole enough.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#178 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:00 am

SWedd523 wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:

You're missing my point.

Can he be more than strictly a shooter? Sure, probably, maybe.

He's still a late first on a delayed developmental curve. Most guys in his draft range don't even make it out of their rookie deal.

If he can carve out minutes by first focusing on being a great shooter and then work on the rest of his game as time progresses then cool. His game isn't 1on1 breaking dudes down and dunking on people. Why force it? Do what you're good at, rookie, and get that PT.

I'm not going to criticize him because he doesn't drive to the hole enough.

I understand your point but he's way too small to get his shot off if teams don't respect his ability to blow past them on his way to the rim. He's not really been scouted much by teams on the nightly report at this stage and I'd imagine and if he keeps hitting that 3 he's not going to get the same open looks in the future.

He's 6'1-6'2 he ain't getting his shot off like SG/SF sized shooters if someone is in front of him with no fear of the drive.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#179 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:01 am

he doesn't have a handle and he isn't an explosive athlete
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#180 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:31 pm

I would say just plant him in the Gleague the rest of the year. He has had enough time in Charlotte to experience the NBA game, he really needs to develop the rest of his game with on ball reps. We know he can catch and shoot, but he needs to round out his game to really earn mins over Mann and Curry right now.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets