18%

Total votes: 62

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Re: Bouk 'Em, Danno: The James Bouknight Thread 

Post#601 » by fatlever » Mon May 1, 2023 8:15 pm

Bouk in observer interview w/ Boone talks about his struggles, admits his body language needed to improve. Says he wants to play next to Melo

- big offseason for Bouk
- needs to continue to reinvent his game - how to have positive impact w/out need to have high usage %s. He's not good enough to be that high usage guy currently (or ever?).
1) Play defense like you job depends on it (hint it does)
2) catch and shoot 3s (really improved his 3s in Gboro, but they are all still off the bounce)
3) keep ball moving (you are not the focal point)
4) tighten everything up - quicker decisions, better handle, speed up release on jumper (its so slooow). Everything Bouk does is in slow motion on his own terms. Gots to speed it all up dude

its all possible. he has the skills, just not sure he's willing to change his game. fixing his attitude/off court stuff is a start.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,285

Post#602 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 3:52 am

Bouknight makes 4.5 million right now. We have until Oct. 31st to exercise his 4th yr option at 6 million.

Feels like summer league will determine this. If we decline that, he turns into an expiring contract.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,405

Post#603 » by JDR720 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 3:53 am

I don't think we keep him regardless. We need to clear space for the 2 rookie guards and Bryce.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#604 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 4:00 am

JDR720 wrote:I don't think we keep him regardless. We need to clear space for the 2 rookie guards and Bryce.

Doubt he is not with team this year. We have the roster spot and the cap space.
but as of now, no way I am picking his option at 6 mil next year.

Maybe someone like Dallas, Wash or Heat would take him via one of the TPE.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,272

Post#605 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Jul 2, 2023 4:01 am

JMAC3 wrote:Bouknight makes 4.5 million right now. We have until Oct. 31st to exercise his 4th yr option at 6 million.

Feels like summer league will determine this. If we decline that, he turns into an expiring contract.

Unless he completely balls out in Summer League we'd be dumb to pick up his fourth year option.

I was surprised we picked up his third year option.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,183

Post#606 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jul 2, 2023 4:06 am

JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:I don't think we keep him regardless. We need to clear space for the 2 rookie guards and Bryce.

Eh I think we have to let it play out and see if it clicks for him. Stupid athletic. He's also stupid. Period.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#607 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 4:08 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Eh I think we have to let it play out and see if it clicks for him. Stupid athletic. He's also stupid. Period.

Let what play out? we have to make a call with him 5 games into this season if we pick up his option. Are you saying pick up 4th year option no matter what right now?
Big Board
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,183

Post#608 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jul 2, 2023 4:10 am

JMAC3 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Let what play out? we have to make a call with him 5 games into this season if we pick up his option. Are you saying pick up 4th year option no matter what right now?

I don't know I just got home from my friends bachelor party so I trust your judgment on this. Lol
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,595

Post#609 » by HornetJail » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:12 pm

I was honestly surprised we picked up his 3rd year option, so fresh off him getting a DUI and 3 reckless driving charges and already sucking at basketball...

He had the opportunity most young scoring guards dream of, with LaMelo and Rozier out early in the year, and was so incredibly bad in those minutes. I don't think he makes it out of training camp after drafting two more players of his archetype this year and likely being short on roster spots.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#610 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 2:51 pm

Teams with Trade Exceptions that can accept Bouk without hornets having to take back salary.
Bouk makes 4.5 million this year.
The acquiring team would have until Oct. 31st to decide to guarantee his contract in the 4th year, so could be an expiring and cheap look.

Heat - 4.7 TE (expires 2/6)
Hawks - 6.2 TE (expires 2/8)
Wiz- 5.3 TE (expires 9/3)
Nuggets - 9.1 TE (expires 6/23)
Suns - 4.9 TE (expires 2/8)
Jazz - 9.6 (expires today) and 6.7 TE (expires 9/21) and 5 TE(expires 2/8)
Blazers - 8.3 TE (expires 2/8)
Warriors - 8.3 TE (expires 2/8)

List is a good bit shorter than Kai options.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#611 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Jul 5, 2023 9:51 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Teams with Trade Exceptions that can accept Bouk without hornets having to take back salary.
The acquiring team would have until Oct. 31st to decide to guarantee his contract in the 4th year, so could be an expiring and cheap look.

I don't think any team takes him into a TPE without draft compensation from us. If that's the case I'd prefer we just cut or trade filler him as part of a bigger deal, or let him expire this season. Pending any summer league miracle that looks about a 0.0001% chance of happening. His effort against SA, particularly in transition was exactly as pathetic as it's always been.

The guy doesn't get it, he's literally playing for his career this week. Unless he is deranged and is hoping we cut/option decline him, forgoing probably his last potential decent NBA bag next season. This season could be the last guaranteed NBA money he earns unless he wises up quick and starts playing like his life depends on it.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#612 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 9:57 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Teams with Trade Exceptions that can accept Bouk without hornets having to take back salary.

I don't think any team takes him into a TPE without draft compensation from us. If that's the case I'd prefer we just cut or trade filler him as part of a bigger deal, or let him expire this season. Pending any summer league miracle that looks about a 0.0001% chance of happening. His effort against SA, particularly in transition was exactly as pathetic as it's always been.

The guy doesn't get it, he's literally playing for his career this week. Unless he is deranged and is hoping we cut/option decline him, forgoing probably his last potential decent NBA bag next season. This season could be the last guaranteed NBA money he earns unless he wises up quick and starts playing like his life depends on it.

I think teams who are over the cap and lack young players like Suns, Heat and Nuggets might have more interest than you think.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#613 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Jul 5, 2023 10:40 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:

I think teams who are over the cap and lack young players like Suns, Heat and Nuggets might have more interest than you think.

There's better players than Bouknight on the scrapheap available for a vet min.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#614 » by NCHeels2008 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:48 am

Yea I'd prefer we just cut him after we do some cursory trade calls
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#615 » by Rich4114 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:28 pm

I read the first few posts of this thread and holy hell were a lot of us wrong on this one
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,723

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: James Bouknight (Pick #11) 

Post#616 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:26 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Couple quick thoughts after watching some scouting videos:

Saw the stat that he shot 21.7% off C&S jumpers. My god, that is awful when we have a ball movement oriented offense with Melo as the point of attack. That number has got to improve, he has to be able to hit C&S shots. In this regard, maybe those wide open jumpers he was hitting in workouts were actually meaningful - if he can hit open 3s at a high level that will be huge.

His head down play also has to change. He's going to have more space so his ability to get to the rim and convert will be huge, but in the clips I saw that number of times he completely ignored wide open teammates to take contested jumpers was scary. Hopefully he's open to coaching and can improve that part of his game.

Yeah... about that...
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,405

Post#617 » by JDR720 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:49 pm

JDR720 wrote:After seeing him drain all those shots on the previous page, I'm surprised he is only a 29% 3pt shooter. He shot 34% his freshman season.

So...is he actually any better than Monk? An athletic but streaky shooter? He didn't even average 2 assists.

Seems like he has a specific role to meet (6th man type scorer) or he'll bust.

JDR720 wrote:This is either a draft in which Mitch will be hailed as a genius or get him fired.

Bouknight has not met his role as a 6th man type scorer. And Mitch is definitely not a genius.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#618 » by fatlever » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:14 pm

49% of you suckers gave this pick an A lol.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,339

Post#619 » by KembaWalker » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:20 pm

KembaWalker wrote:everything hinges on who the real bouknight is: the one that shot sub 30% in NCAA or the one that wow'd everyone in workouts with insane shooting ability?
hoping its a LaMelo situation and 15 game sample size didn't capture what he can really do

Spoiler:
it was the first one
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,220

Post#620 » by SWedd523 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:31 pm

I was high oun bouth Bouk and Moudy.

Really screwed the pouch on that oune.

Return to Charlotte Hornets