ImageImage

Bathed in the Rapture of Mark Williams Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#81 » by BatumtheGlue » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:35 am

Really excited to see how this team will play next season with Mark Williams. We finally have our own Capela with a better free throw percentage. (No, you are not include Cliffy)
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,553

Post#82 » by LofJ » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:04 pm

I think Mark Williams might already be one of the smartest players in the league:

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/06/22/mark-williams-duke-nba-draft-kill-small-ball
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,728

Post#83 » by MPM » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:29 pm

LofJ wrote:I think Mark Williams might already be one of the smartest players in the league:

good read.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#84 » by BigSlam » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:40 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
BigSlam wrote:That jump shot on the corner 3's has a really low release.
lol we're nitpicking, i didn't realize he could shoot at all. Added bonus if he can hit wide open 3s

Not nick picking, just noticing.

I just read that he only took nine jump shots all year last season, so obviously he wasn't drafted as a stretch big - however being able to pick and pop and show some range is kinda a must in today's NBA to keep opposing defenses honest.

And if he has show good mid 70% form from the line, there is no reason to think he can't add that to his game. Not make it a primary aspect, just sprinkle it in a little.

Other wise defenses will just clog the paint against him or drop back off the screen because he's going to roll every single time.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#85 » by BigSlam » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:45 pm

LofJ wrote:I think Mark Williams might already be one of the smartest players in the league:

Agree with MPM - good find and a great read.

Thought this part was interesting:
The three centers Williams admires the most (Joel Embiid, Nikola Jokić and Giannis Antetokounmpo—who Williams counts as a member of the position) also validate having someone like him on your side.

One thing those three all have in common is the ability to see and make great passes. Would love Williams to be an impactful ball mover for us.

For all of Plumlee's faults, I really think we benefit significantly from his ability to see the floor and make passes that a lot of other bigs dont
B B M F 'ers
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#86 » by driveandkick » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:26 pm

I still would rather have Duren, but Williams certainly seems like a guy who will be great for a team’s culture. He clearly understands what his role will be and what obstacles he will be facing in the league. Plenty of people praise his work ethic and maturity, apparently he was one of the few prospects throughout the entire draft process that every team just raved about. Could definitely see him blossoming into a leader a few years down the road.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,327

Post#87 » by amcoolio » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:58 pm

driveandkick wrote:I still would rather have Duren, but Williams certainly seems like a guy who will be great for a team’s culture. He clearly understands what his role will be and what obstacles he will be facing in the league. Plenty of people praise his work ethic and maturity, apparently he was one of the few prospects throughout the entire draft process that every team just raved about. Could definitely see him blossoming into a leader a few years down the road.

Just curious, what do you value about Duren over Mark Williams?
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
driveandkick
Pro Prospect

Post#88 » by driveandkick » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:48 pm

amcoolio wrote:
driveandkick wrote:I still would rather have Duren, but Williams certainly seems like a guy who will be great for a team’s culture. He clearly understands what his role will be and what obstacles he will be facing in the league. Plenty of people praise his work ethic and maturity, apparently he was one of the few prospects throughout the entire draft process that every team just raved about. Could definitely see him blossoming into a leader a few years down the road.

Just curious, what do you value about Duren over Mark Williams?
For me, it’s not some huge gap.

But for me, I give Duren the edge due to positional versatility, ceiling, and athleticism. Mark is the cleaner prospect right now, but my fear is very real that he will be a player that winds up a victim due to being too traditional. He struggles to defend in space, and we’ve seen it happen where dudes like this just get schemed off the floor in the playoffs. But it’s encouraging Mark already understands that this could become one of his obstacles to reaching his full potential.

I think Duren’s ceiling could be a perennial all star, I’m just not sure Williams has that sort of upside. When scouting, especially in the lottery, I still kind of just like swinging for the fences.

But I certainly understand why Mitch and co. felt safer with Williams, as he seems like the type of guy that could easily contribute right away. I certainly think Williams has the higher floor.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#89 » by KingCat » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:55 pm

What I love about Mark and Kai is they both seem like extremely bright, good kids. That is very much needed with our current pink lemonade drinking core.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#90 » by BigSlam » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:03 pm

I actually think that Kai and Mark compliment each other really well as a starting 4 and 5.
B B M F 'ers
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,553

Post#91 » by LofJ » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:24 pm

BigSlam wrote:I actually think that Kai and Mark compliment each other really well as a starting 4 and 5.

Same here, Mark Williams as the rim protecting defensive captain and Kai as the athletic help defender roaming the court and creating havoc.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,559

Post#92 » by Bassman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:02 pm

I appreciate how folks can believe Duren has a higher ceiling, and perhaps that will play out. But…two key elements that I think give Williams an edge:

1. Shooting - Williams didn’t take many jumpers during games, because he was not asked to do that by the coaches. However, his shooting form is pretty good, his FT % was over 70 percent, and he can hit open 3’s. Duren is not a good shooter, and doubtful he will turn this into a strength. Williams will be a force on defense, and likely a better offensive player than Duren.

2. Intelligence/BBIQ - do not misconstrue this point…Williams is extremely bright, exceptionally committed to study and refinement of his game. I am certain he will use his smarts to adapt to the NBA. Now Duren may be just as smart, don’t know, but I bet few are as sharp and introspective as Mark. He also has a big sister who’s in the WNBA, knows what it takes to succeed, and will help Mark in that regard.

HAVING SAID THAT…Imso wish we had kept the pick and either drafted Eason, or KEPT Duren. I also really like this kid and believe he will be an achiever one day. By all accounts his inherent talent is significant, and his work ethic is strong.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
driveandkick
Pro Prospect

Post#93 » by driveandkick » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:30 pm

Bassman wrote:I appreciate how folks can believe Duren has a higher ceiling, and perhaps that will play out. But…two key elements that I think give Williams an edge:

1. Shooting - Williams didn’t take many jumpers during games, because he was not asked to do that by the coaches. However, his shooting form is pretty good, his FT % was over 70 percent, and he can hit open 3’s. Duren is not a good shooter, and doubtful he will turn this into a strength. Williams will be a force on defense, and likely a better offensive player than Duren.

2. Intelligence/BBIQ - do not misconstrue this point…Williams is extremely bright, exceptionally committed to study and refinement of his game. I am certain he will use his smarts to adapt to the NBA. Now Duren may be just as smart, don’t know, but I bet few are as sharp and introspective as Mark. He also has a big sister who’s in the WNBA, knows what it takes to succeed, and will help Mark in that regard.

HAVING SAID THAT…Imso wish we had kept the pick and either drafted Eason, or KEPT Duren. I also really like this kid and believe he will be an achiever one day. By all accounts his inherent talent is significant, and his work ethic is strong.

On point #1, Williams FT % was just as bad as Durens was a year ago. And remember Williams is like two years older than Duren. Obviously Mark took a huge step forward there this year which is very encouraging and again, indicative towards his commitment to understanding his flaws and working to rectify them. What I’m mainly saying is that it’s far too early to say which has the better chance to shoot in the NBA. Indicators right NOW probably lean towards Mark. He’s got a soft touch and has demonstrated an improvement, but it’s way way way too soon.

Anyways, I know we don’t want this thread to be Duren v Mark. So I’m down to move on because what’s done is done. Mark has my full support and I know without a doubt he’s going to work as hard as anyone to help us win.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,183

Post#94 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:34 pm

I'm going to say this and cannot stress this enough. I'm stoked to see kai and Mark in summer league together. If someone like dj carton puts up 20 shots I'm going to be beyond pissed
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#95 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:13 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I'm going to say this and cannot stress this enough. I'm stoked to see kai and Mark in summer league together. If someone like dj carton puts up 20 shots I'm going to be beyond pissed

I'm stoked we have Mark - Kai instead of Duren - Sengün. I think Sengün would've been a waste of a pick.
It has been written...
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#96 » by Chapelchilla » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:00 pm

Williams and Jones could be a nice pair down low in a year or two.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,559

Post#97 » by Bassman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:48 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:Williams and Jones could be a nice pair down low in a year or two.

Williams, PJ, Miles, a QUALITY super SG, LaMelo….

Oh my :pray: :clap:
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,284

Post#98 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:11 am

Personally I like Mark, think he was a solid pick. Not anticipating him to be much of a scorer at all though.

Not sure I think him and PJ in front court make a ton of sense long-term unless one really really surprises.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#99 » by BigSlam » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:33 am

Agreed. I don’t think Washington and Williams compliment each other as a starting 4 and 5 at all.
B B M F 'ers
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,405

Post#100 » by JDR720 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:42 am

Williams is a lob-catcher and PJ is a 3&D player. I think they do.

I'd like a supersized lineup.

Melo
Miles
PJ
Kai
Williams

Return to Charlotte Hornets