Roundball Rock: Why Do You Love It So Much?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,123

Roundball Rock: Why Do You Love It So Much? 

Post#1 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri May 10, 2024 8:45 pm

We all love "Roundball Rock," the iconic NBA theme of NBC that musician Josh Tesh had to draft via answering machine because he was in Europe and didn't have access to a piano. The opening horns that simulated a tip-off, the ball-bouncing rhythmic percussion coupled with a full-piece orchestra, the passing to a segment which rolls the feelings of suspense, defense, and ankle-breaking hesitance into an adrenaline-fueled bridge, crossing over to a three-step climax that one person could perceive as a block, a shot, or a dunk. This was the NBA On NBA, your host Bob Costas joined by Marv Albert alongside former players and coaches of the game like Bill Walton. And that seems to be what everyone wants, this song back on the air as if it will save the league or something that is bound to have a global impact.

Why do you love "Roundball Rock" so much? What makes it such a valuable piece of basketball history?
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,501

Re: Roundball Rock: Why Do You Love It So Much? 

Post#2 » by Chinook » Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm

I dunno. Just definitely like it more than Inside the NBA.
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,037

Post#3 » by Loneshot » Fri May 10, 2024 8:53 pm

All I know is that now when I hear the theme I can't unsee Kevin Hart dancing while staring into the camera lol
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,127

Post#4 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri May 10, 2024 8:53 pm

Solely because I was a teenager in its heyday. It brings back memories of watching games with my late father. I doubt it would mean much to me if I was 25.
advent11
Junior
And1: 378

Post#5 » by advent11 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:03 pm

Nostalgia for a better product and a better decade overall.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,002

Post#6 » by AleksandarN » Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 pm

Baba basketball. His brother’s version is better imho
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,856

Post#7 » by Clav » Fri May 10, 2024 9:17 pm

It hits differently for me. As a basketball fan, a pick-up player, and a musician.... there's not many songs that synergistically capture that piece of my life in one swoop. I'm happy that Tesh had a stroke of brilliance and we got "Roundball Rock" out of it because it is catchy and memorable, and was a great intro song for the sport. The fact that I don't even need to play the song to hear it in my head is a testament to that. (My old production friend said that if you can make a song an "earworm", where it just doesn't get out of your head, no matter how good/bad the song is, it is invariably greater as a song.)

- side note, attempting to play this song without the orchestra, just solo piano or guitar is quite the challenge!

The nostalgia of it on NBC isn't so big for me, but I do wish NBC/Universal brings it back should they acquire NBA media rights. TNT's NBA theme song is pretty decent too honestly, has lesser energy but some nice changes, it doesn't have that pop-factor, but it is memorable. ESPN's NBA theme is like a crossover of horns and brass + a rap beat and they thought that was good. That ESPN theme has 0 staying power long term, they will just change it to something else without anyone noticing or caring. The NBA's YouTube channel has a bunch of campy canned production music for their highlights, doesn't even come close.

PS To my recollection I have actually never listened to "Roundball Rock" when I go hoop, maybe I should do that and see if I'm a better player after.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,319

Post#8 » by DaGawd » Fri May 10, 2024 9:23 pm

nostalgia
BaF
Washington Wizards
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,062

Post#9 » by Dominator83 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:57 pm

I like it because it was iconically synonymous to the Bulls dynasty years. But much like the Bulls intro music....... I'm over it. The glory days are over. MJ/Pippen/Rodman aren't walking thru that door. Change the damn starting lineup music already!

And with NBC, Bob Costas, Marv Albert, And Ahmad Rashad ain't walking thru that door either. Roundball rock ain't bringing them back.

Will it be cool to hear again? Yes. But 30 seconds of intro music isn't going to make an impact on the broadcast team or gameplay.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,662

Post#10 » by NCHeels2008 » Fri May 10, 2024 10:11 pm

Clav wrote:It hits differently for me. As a basketball fan, a pick-up player, and a musician.... there's not many songs that synergistically capture that piece of my life in one swoop. I'm happy that Tesh had a stroke of brilliance and we got "Roundball Rock" out of it because it is catchy and memorable, and was a great intro song for the sport. The fact that I don't even need to play the song to hear it in my head is a testament to that. (My old production friend said that if you can make a song an "earworm", where it just doesn't get out of your head, no matter how good/bad the song is, it is invariably greater as a song.)

- side note, attempting to play this song without the orchestra, just solo piano or guitar is quite the challenge!

The nostalgia of it on NBC isn't so big for me, but I do wish NBC/Universal brings it back should they acquire NBA media rights. TNT's NBA theme song is pretty decent too honestly, has lesser energy but some nice changes, it doesn't have that pop-factor, but it is memorable. ESPN's NBA theme is like a crossover of horns and brass + a rap beat and they thought that was good. That ESPN theme has 0 staying power long term, they will just change it to something else without anyone noticing or caring. The NBA's YouTube channel has a bunch of campy canned production music for their highlights, doesn't even come close.

PS To my recollection I have actually never listened to "Roundball Rock" when I go hoop, maybe I should do that and see if I'm a better player after.

While we are nerding out on this I really liked TNT's late 90s anthem, maybe its just nostalgia

Return to The General Board