Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less.

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

levon
RealGM
And1: 23,483

Re: Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less. 

Post#141 » by levon » Thu May 9, 2024 3:45 pm

The whole Intuit Dome thing is overplayed. I'm not sure the arena wouldn't have more attendance in an exciting rebuild and Kawhi farewell tour over watching crusty ass Paul George and Harden spam low effort 3s.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,127

Re: Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less. 

Post#142 » by Effigy » Thu May 9, 2024 4:19 pm

It's going to be a horrendous contract for whoever gets him, but the Clippers are already so stuck with this team they can't just lose him for nothing. However how is Kawhi going to feel if George gets the max and he didn't?
elfrancotirador
Ballboy
And1: 37

Post#143 » by elfrancotirador » Thu May 9, 2024 5:06 pm

Let him walk. The clippers don't have a future until at least 3-4 years.
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,768

Post#144 » by ryguy613 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:16 pm

levon wrote:The whole Intuit Dome thing is overplayed. I'm not sure the arena wouldn't have more attendance in an exciting rebuild and Kawhi farewell tour over watching crusty ass Paul George and Harden spam low effort 3s.

yeah, but if everyone is excitedly watching a young up and coming team, who's gonna use all those

Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,360

Post#145 » by Jedi32 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:44 am

LaLover11 wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:Either go back to the Pacers or Lakers

No thanks

Didn't know you were Playoff P

I'm just a fan that knows George was never what the clipps brought him in to be. He's never been that guy.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 986

Post#146 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:45 am

Jedi32 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:No thanks

Didn't know you were Playoff P

I'm just a fan that knows George was never what the clipps brought him in to be. He's never been that guy.

That's why I said he should be the #3 option with the Lakers
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,090

Re: Shams: Paul George appears headed for a Clippers exit. 

Post#147 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 10, 2024 4:49 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. It means that he’s going to use other teams to secure a max deal from the Clippers.

Not happening. If so the Clippers are toast. Clearly they’ve been negotiating a year. If the Clippers cave now they are stupid. It will mean in a year they would lose Mann and Zubac. Mann and Zubac should be traded for whatever picks you can get and let PG+Harden walk for nothing. Take the L, get into reload sooner.

Spoken like a man who hopes Clippers picks will go up in value.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#148 » by Heat3 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:00 am

They should let him walk.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 986

Post#149 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:11 am

Warriors are going to find a way to get ride of players to find a way to get him
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,777

Post#150 » by nzahir » Fri May 10, 2024 5:14 am

Jedi32 wrote:

No thanks

You are a crazy person if you wouldn't want PG on the Lakers lol
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 938

Post#151 » by clippertown » Fri May 10, 2024 7:04 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
clippertown wrote:Clips are going to play this out, see if it turns into a S&T opportunity and if not, Ballmer will pay the man and move on. The issue where the Clips won't budge is on the NTC and Kicker provisions. Once PG is past the deadline, he will be traded.

No chance that George gets more than Kawhi. If that's his demand, then he gets his contract but ultimately with another team.

Can’t S&T. Only opt in and trade like Harden, which PG won’t do because he knows he’s not getting a 4 year max if he waits another season.

Didn't know that. Can I ask why that is?

Also, how long would it take before PG is trade eligible, if he stays for now and Clips could find a sucker to take him later?
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,874

Post#152 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 3:28 pm

nzahir wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:

No thanks

You are a crazy person if you wouldn't want PG on the Lakers lol

PG is my favorite player and I'm telling you he doesn't put the Lakers over the top. Just another aging body. People have to stop acting like LeBron is in his prime. The man is literally going to be 40 next season. They need another young superstar who is still in his prime not leaving their prime like PG.

If PG is smart he simply signs with Orlando. Banchero is looking scary and he just might be the beast in the East. The path to the Finals is much easier in the East.

Be a 3rd option for a Banchero/Wagner. They will get him closer to a championship than a aging LeBron and AD would.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 330

Post#153 » by Slimjimzv » Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 pm

PG3 wasn't the issue, an injured Kawhi was. I'd think re-signing George is a no-brainer for the Clippers. Weird that they'd mess around with the best player on their roster. There are plenty of other places to save money.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,122

Re: Shams: Paul George appears headed for a Clippers exit. 

Post#154 » by Exp0sed » Fri May 10, 2024 3:37 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:How can the Clippers rebuild with no picks until 2030? They've backed themselves into a corner.

People have a poor concept of trade value. Guys like PJ Washington and Gafford commanded 1st round picks last year. Rebuilding this team isn’t really that hard. Zubac and Mann would almost certainly bring in a mid-late 1st round pick. They are 26 year old good impact starters on cheap deals and bird rights. Powell could probably get you a couple 2nd’s. Trade Kawhi to the Warriors so he can stay in CA and get a pick or two.

Now you have 2-3 1sts, a swap in 2029 and a couple 2nds. Then they also create 150+ mill cap space and have a real shot to try to poach Mitchell or Brunson in free agency (Tatum almost certainly won’t walk). Next year you run bunch of young, unproven, hungry guys. If Bones/Boston Jr blow up which is quite possible, now you trade them for picks.

It’s not hard, it just takes a good FO and good drafting.

stop it, lol..the Clippers play in L.A and have a new arena coming they aren't going for a "process" style rebuild
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,265

Post#155 » by BDM22 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:42 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
JRoy wrote:Whoever offers PG a max contract deserves what they get.

Why are people acting like Paul George sucks now?

I've seen people in this thread call him a "suspect shooter". Dude just averaged 41.3% from 3 on 8 attempts and 91% from the line. :noway:

I'd give him a 3 year max to come to Detroit :lol:
Beats giving that to Tobias Harris lol
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,679

Post#156 » by Bornstellar » Fri May 10, 2024 3:45 pm

He should sign with SA before they trade for Trae Young and add Sarr/Risacher in the draft.

Wemby
Sarr/Sochan
PG/Risacher
Vassell
Young

Championship contender next season imo. Wemby + Sarr defense is more than enough to cover up for everyone else
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,122

Post#157 » by Exp0sed » Fri May 10, 2024 3:45 pm

Slimjimzv wrote:PG3 wasn't the issue, an injured Kawhi was. I'd think re-signing George is a no-brainer for the Clippers. Weird that they'd mess around with the best player on their roster. There are plenty of other places to save money.

"max" means alot of different things, the way it's set up now the max for a a vet like PG13 is huge, a 3-4 year max into being almost 40 is a pretty big handicap, especially as hasn'nt been durable at all and somehow managed to play 74 games in his contract year, I wonder why that is? :). so u hand him that huge contract and u have KL playing intermittently and a 37 year old PG13 playing part time..that's barely a playoff team in the West

OKC, Denver, Minny, Dallas, Pelicans, Kings are all teams that have their roters largely set, you also have up and coming teams like the Rockets, the comeback Grizzlies and the Wemby Spurs etc and ofc the aging teams that failed this season, Lakers, Suns, Dubs whom I haven't listed could presumably they could all get worse

so i'm not sure it's a no brainer, assuming he wants a 3 year max..at these ages with his durabily they'll have like a 120-130m sitting on the bench every other game, that's pretty brutal
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 330

Post#158 » by Slimjimzv » Fri May 10, 2024 3:49 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:PG3 wasn't the issue, an injured Kawhi was. I'd think re-signing George is a no-brainer for the Clippers. Weird that they'd mess around with the best player on their roster. There are plenty of other places to save money.

"max" means alot of different things, the way it's set up now the max for a a vet like PG13 is huge, a 3-4 year max into being almost 40 is a pretty big handicap, especially as hasn'nt been durable at all and somehow managed to play 74 games in his contract year, I wonder why that is? :). so u hand him that huge contract and u have KL playing intermittently and a 37 year old PG13 playing part time..that's barely a playoff team in the West

OKC, Denver, Minny, Dallas, Pelicans, Kings are all teams that have their roters largely set, you also have up and coming teams like the Rockets, the comeback Grizzlies and the Wemby Spurs etc and ofc the aging teams that failed this season, Lakers, Suns, Dubs whom I haven't listed could presumably they could all get worse

so i'm not sure it's a no brainer, assuming he wants a 3 year max..at these ages with his durabily they'll have like a 120-130m sitting on the bench every other game, that's pretty brutal

I guess I understand the hesitation, but it doesn't seem like it would take long to look at their options and go ahead and pull the trigger. They wouldn't get equal value in a sign and trade, they definitely don't want to tank, and PG isn't showing signs that he's going to be an albatross contract if they do sign him. Admittedly, it's a risk, but it appears to be better than the alternative of getting worse right now. They can get worse when they have their own picks again.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,135

Post#159 » by Potential » Fri May 10, 2024 4:01 pm

The Clippers were balling. Looked like the best team in the NBA and were unstoppable. The only chance they have next season is to load manage Kawhi and let him only play once a week until the playoffs start.

Read on Twitter
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#160 » by flow » Fri May 10, 2024 4:11 pm

Why anyone would fret over losing Paul George is beyond me.

Return to The General Board