NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,971

Re: NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC 

Post#141 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:55 pm

the sea duck wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:ESPN cannot be replaced as much as we hate their pregame/halftime show. When they don't have the rights for a league they usually ignore it in their shows/sports center. That exposure is very valuable for a league like NBA that is still growing. NFL doesn't need them, but NBA does

The NBA was far better before ESPN! This is just nonsense!

espn actual game presentations suck. but they do put more effort and attention into promoting the league when they are partners. i'm not sure what that's worth any more because i don't watch espn, but i know it was a boost when they moved to abc/espn.

ESPN has done NOTHING but hurt the league. Their coverage is insanely negative and turns people away as fans constantly!
dWadeOwnzYou
Rookie
And1: 578

Post#142 » by dWadeOwnzYou » Fri May 10, 2024 3:21 pm

This question was still not answered. So, will the game be nationally televised on NBC like in the 80/90s or do we still need to pay for cable/streaming services that is affiliated with NBC to watch?
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,549

Post#143 » by DoctorX » Fri May 10, 2024 3:31 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Why do people care about the stupid NBA song? You would rather have that over Inside the NBA? Dumbest thing I've ever heard

I would take it over Inside the NBA. Inside the NBA has turned into crap the last 10-12 years with the addition of Shaq. When Shaq is not around the show is infinitely better than when he is around. I'm hoping NBC doesn't bring Shaq over.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,330

Post#144 » by KembaWalker » Fri May 10, 2024 3:35 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
the sea duck wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
The NBA was far better before ESPN! This is just nonsense!

espn actual game presentations suck. but they do put more effort and attention into promoting the league when they are partners. i'm not sure what that's worth any more because i don't watch espn, but i know it was a boost when they moved to abc/espn.

ESPN has done NOTHING but hurt the league. Their coverage is insanely negative and turns people away as fans constantly!

Yeah if you take like any random JVG rant from the last decade, individually they’re funny, but in the grand scheme over the years it’s probably not the best thing to basically train your customers that the product they are currently being served is garbage. Eventually it stops being taken as a joke
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#145 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:37 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
the sea duck wrote:

Yeah if you take like any random JVG rant from the last decade, individually they’re funny, but in the grand scheme over the years it’s probably not the best thing to basically train your customers that the product they are currently being served is garbage. Eventually it stops being taken as a joke

That's a point I"d not even thought about but you're 100% right. The on air talent during games were negative. The sportcenter coverage doesn't teach fans how to understand and watch the product. The opinion shows are all obsessed with telling us the 1990's were the best era. The totality of their product from top to bottom has been nothing but anti NBA while they pay billions for the right to show something they are hell bent to hurt.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,411

Post#146 » by Tottery » Fri May 10, 2024 3:58 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Tottery wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
The show went on for years without Shaq ruining it. He ruins the chemistry!

Nah. He encourages Charles to talk ish.

Chuck is great when he complements actual analysis with jokes. He's not good responding to a babbling idiot. I legit can't grasp how any high functioning adult could find what Shaq does anything but distracting and a negative to the show.

Do you not remember the show before Shaq? I mean I get it...Chuck even at first was a bit difficult to deal with. But over time, he dropped enough LOL's we all saw the value. But now with shaq...it's unwatchable at times.

Highly functioning adult? No need for jabs because you don't like him. That said, I make fun of Shaq every time he speaks because he mumbles. I like when Charles makes fun of him or Shaq encourages him to talk about San Antonio women :lol:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#147 » by Rafael122 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:33 pm

So is the NBC package replacing the Tuesday/Thursday TNT package?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,233

Post#148 » by Dan33185 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:43 pm

Rafael122 wrote:So is the NBC package replacing the Tuesday/Thursday TNT package?

I don't see how, doesn't NBC have their own shows running basically M-F in primetime? This has to be a Peacock thing.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#149 » by Rafael122 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:49 pm

Dan33185 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:So is the NBC package replacing the Tuesday/Thursday TNT package?

I don't see how, doesn't NBC have their own shows running basically M-F in primetime? This has to be a Peacock thing.

So as of now, ESPN will have NBA on Wednesdays, but nothing on Tuesdays (during football season), Thursdays and Fridays. I'm glad NBA is getting paid but as a consumer this is bleak.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,871

Post#150 » by Deivork » Fri May 10, 2024 5:26 pm

Spero Dedes is so boring man.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 814

Post#151 » by Ito » Fri May 10, 2024 5:32 pm

Quattro wrote:Get ready to watch games on Peacock

Better than the nba app
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#152 » by OriAr » Fri May 10, 2024 5:46 pm

dWadeOwnzYou wrote:This question was still not answered. So, will the game be nationally televised on NBC like in the 80/90s or do we still need to pay for cable/streaming services that is affiliated with NBC to watch?

They'll be split between the two most likely.
Marquee matchups on NBC and additional games on Peacock/USA Network.
Playoffs will probably be fully on NBC.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#153 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:14 pm

Tottery wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Tottery wrote:
Nah. He encourages Charles to talk ish.

Chuck is great when he complements actual analysis with jokes. He's not good responding to a babbling idiot. I legit can't grasp how any high functioning adult could find what Shaq does anything but distracting and a negative to the show.

Do you not remember the show before Shaq? I mean I get it...Chuck even at first was a bit difficult to deal with. But over time, he dropped enough LOL's we all saw the value. But now with shaq...it's unwatchable at times.

Highly functioning adult? No need for jabs because you don't like him. That said, I make fun of Shaq every time he speaks because he mumbles. I like when Charles makes fun of him or Shaq encourages him to talk about San Antonio women :lol:

You don't find it childish to laugh about that crap? Not trying to be directly insulting, but not only are those jokes old....they were never funny.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,589

Post#154 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:23 pm

Death of sports is moving to all these subscription pay-per-view platforms. The more it happens the less people watch and invest in said platforms. I didn't watch NFL Thursday because the Amazon crap even though I have Amazon. I wont be watching Amazon NBA games or if they go the Peacock NBA games route with NBC.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,411

Post#155 » by Tottery » Fri May 10, 2024 6:28 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Tottery wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

You don't find it childish to laugh about that crap? Not trying to be directly insulting, but not only are those jokes old....they were never funny.

The humor/jokes is why so many people like it. Not for their fumbling analysis.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,642

Post#156 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:38 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Thought it was new thread worthy since it's a substantial update. .

Per wiretap
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275651/NBC-Closing-In-On-NBA-Package-At-$25B-Per-Year-Unless-TNT-Increases-Offer-To-$28B

Tldr is Silver thinks NBC can offer "more" than TNT with an over-the-air network and regional sports, and TNT would have to pay more than what NBC is bidding in order to "match".

Silver is trying to leave TNT and join NBC. I am excited for the return of roundball rock and hopefully NBC can turn basketball games into an epic event like they are able to do with SNF and the old NBA on NBC. It sucks to see Inside go but all good things come to an end.

over the air is better but if I had my way it would be turner/NBC. ESPN sucks and getting sports off ESPN is always good.

I think Disney knows that if the ESPN loses the NBA, no one is paying for access to ESPN in the streaming era. ESPN's bid likely reflected that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,323

Post#157 » by amcoolio » Fri May 10, 2024 6:46 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Death of sports is moving to all these subscription pay-per-view platforms. The more it happens the less people watch and invest in said platforms. I didn't want NFL Thursday because the Amazon crap even though I have Amazon. I wont be watching Amazon NBA games or if they go the Peacock NBA games route with NBC.

People will always watch the NFL.

NBA has a game-viewership problem, especially the regular season. NBA is about stories and drama not the actual game. Nobody wants to tune in and watch Wemby play against the Rockets in December, but they'll watch highlights or read about it on reddit.

NFL regular season games have way more viewer ratings than NBA playoff games. Once a week games that are the perfect amount of time (about 3 hours) will just have a huge leg up over 82 games where the stars rest every 3rd game. MLB has the diehard older crowd that are loyal to their team but in dwindling numbers.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,390

Post#158 » by Marvin Martian » Fri May 10, 2024 7:00 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Death of sports is moving to all these subscription pay-per-view platforms. The more it happens the less people watch and invest in said platforms. I didn't want NFL Thursday because the Amazon crap even though I have Amazon. I wont be watching Amazon NBA games or if they go the Peacock NBA games route with NBC.

I don't think Sports is catering to casuals anymore. They figured that they can squeeze more money out of die hard fans. The fact that they are sticking with this shows that it works.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#159 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:07 pm

Tottery wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Tottery wrote:

The humor/jokes is why so many people like it. Not for their fumbling analysis.

Yeah...and the show is funny. When shaq isn't talking or involved!
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,069

Post#160 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri May 10, 2024 7:10 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Death of sports is moving to all these subscription pay-per-view platforms. The more it happens the less people watch and invest in said platforms. I didn't watch NFL Thursday because the Amazon crap even though I have Amazon. I wont be watching Amazon NBA games or if they go the Peacock NBA games route with NBC.

That's not how it works, what happens is that the people who will follow the sport will follow it there. Initially there's a drop in viewership, but eventually what happens with Amazon/Netflix is that they plaster these games/sporting events all over the homepage and in turn get people to watch that weren't normally going to.

They're playing the long game with these services, these leagues and companies follow the money, the money is in these subscription models. More people will end up seeing NBA games on Amazon than they would on TNT in the long run, they already have double the subscribers in the US that TNT has.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart

Return to The General Board