NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,236

Re: NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC 

Post#161 » by Mamba81p » Fri May 10, 2024 7:41 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
ChiTownHero1992 wrote:Death of sports is moving to all these subscription pay-per-view platforms. The more it happens the less people watch and invest in said platforms. I didn't watch NFL Thursday because the Amazon crap even though I have Amazon. I wont be watching Amazon NBA games or if they go the Peacock NBA games route with NBC.

That's not how it works, what happens is that the people who will follow the sport will follow it there. Initially there's a drop in viewership, but eventually what happens with Amazon/Netflix is that they plaster these games/sporting events all over the homepage and in turn get people to watch that weren't normally going to.

They're playing the long game with these services, these leagues and companies follow the money, the money is in these subscription models. More people will end up seeing NBA games on Amazon than they would on TNT in the long run, they already have double the subscribers in the US that TNT has.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nfl-thursday-night-football-amazon-prime-video-viewership-2023/

The first year was pretty bad for Amazon ratings wise, but they are on track to catch Fox ratings pretty soon
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#162 » by Michael Bradley » Fri May 10, 2024 8:15 pm

This is awful for basketball fans but good for the NBA. Being on OTA broadcast like the NFL is better than being on cable, so the NBA benefits there. Of course, if it's split between Peacock and NBC, then it's a bit less attractive, but long-term probably the better play for the league than being on cable.

It sucks for NBA fans because Inside the NBA is legendary. Basketball won't be the same without that show. It's been said that Ernie is not leaving Turner, so that show with those 4 guys will probably never happen again unless Ernie goes to NBC, and even then NBC would have to pay Charles, Shaq, and Kenny big money as well, and they probably don't need to from a ratings standpoint.

The better move for basketball fans would have been NBC and Turner having the rights, and ESPN kicking rocks, but ESPN spends 24 hours a day talking about the NBA when the NFL isn't on, so not surprised Silver wants to stay there (even though the discourse on ESPN is damaging).
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,111

Post#163 » by whatisacenter » Fri May 10, 2024 8:40 pm

I’ll miss Ernie….I could not care less about the rest.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 956

Post#164 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:59 pm

whatisacenter wrote:I’ll miss Ernie….I could not care less about the rest.

The episode of Jokic MVP interview

Ernie looked pissed the whole time and will likely retire after this
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
shza
Pro Prospect
And1: 891

Post#165 » by shza » Tue May 14, 2024 1:48 am

shza wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
shza wrote:Agree with all the comments about Inside — though it would not surprise me if NBC bought the show or at least the guys.

Hopefully they do NOT bring over Ian Eagle — I have never been as bothered by a commentator’s voice/vowel pronunciation as I am by him.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. Ian Eagle is one of the best out there, he's sort of a Kevin Harlan type that can make anything sound exciting.,

Except Evin Harlan has a great voice (basically Marv Albert’s voice) and Ian Eagle has an unlistenable voice.

Mea culpa. Watching this double-header tonight, I realized I was mixing up Spero Dedes and Ian Eagle. Eagle is fine. Dedes is the unlistenable one.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,616

Post#167 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 14, 2024 2:10 am

Will be sad to see Inside go.

Some people may not like it but at least they know they’re being unserious unlike those idiots on ESPN.

Zero interest in another garbage basketball show replacing it with garbage so called analysts horribly analysing the games.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 603

Post#168 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Tue May 14, 2024 2:15 am

LakerLegend wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1cr2hru/simmons_the_nba_media_deal_talks_are_over_tnt/?rdt=54856

I saw this as well. Seems like it's over, sad to say. I guess I'll catch ernie over at the NCAA tournaments.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,037

Post#169 » by LakerLegend » Tue May 14, 2024 2:18 am

ESPN's coverage is crap, maybe they can pickup the Inside the NBA crew.
MetalFingaz
Veteran
And1: 2,827

Post#170 » by MetalFingaz » Tue May 14, 2024 2:19 am

Inside the NBA has been stale and boring for a while.
It's time for 5 refs.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,801

Post#171 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Tue May 14, 2024 2:53 am

I'm torn about this.

On hand, I think the NBA on NBC of the 90s is the greatest NBA telecast there ever was. But I have no idea what the NBA on NBC of 2025 will be like, aside from Roundball Rock. As someone who grew up watching the NBA on NBC in the 90s, I can't say I'm not curious, I can't say I'm not intrigued, I can't say the teenager inside of me isn't just a bit excited about it. But adult me is aware the new telecast could well have nothing in common with the old one aside from the the name and the song.

Given the uncertainty of what the new NBA on NBC will be like, am I curious or intrigued enough to throw Turner and Inside the NBA overboard for it? I'm not sure I am.

I've literally never known a time when Turner didn't have the NBA, when Ernie wasn't hosting Inside the NBA. If the NBA on NBC of the 90s was the greatest NBA telecast ever peak for peak, Turner's telecast, given its longevity, is right up there. And Inside the NBA is an institution. This is the awards section of its Wiki:

As of the end of 2023, the show has won eighteen Sports Emmy Awards. Six times for the best daily show (2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014), six times for the best weekly show (2012, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022), four times for the best weekly show – limited run : playoffs (2019, 2021, 2022, 2023), one for the best decoration and art visuals (2016) and one for the best social TV experience (2019). Johnson has also won six awards as a studio host (2002, 2007, 2015, 2019, 2020, 2021) and Barkley has won four as a studio analyst (2012, 2013, 2017, 2020).

Inside was inducted into the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame in October 2016, becoming the 12th program to receive the honor and the third sports show after SportsCenter and Monday Night Football.[29] They were also honoree by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2020, becoming the first NBA telecast to win the Curt Gowdy Media Award.

And if the reports are to be believed - that WBD was willing to match NBC's 2.5B offer, but the NBA said, no it has to 2.8B - I'm just not sure why Adam Silver and the NBA are willing to so casually throw away a forty year partnership and one of the most decorated sports shows ever over what would be a small fraction of the overall money the NBA stands to make from this round of TV deals.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,454

Post#172 » by Tor_Raps » Tue May 14, 2024 3:08 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:I'm torn about this.

On hand, I think the NBA on NBC of the 90s is the greatest NBA telecast there ever was. But I have no idea what the NBA on NBC of 2025 will be like, aside from Roundball Rock. As someone who grew up watching the NBA on NBC in the 90s, I can't say I'm not curious, I can't say I'm not intrigued, I can't say the teenager inside of me isn't just a bit excited about it. But adult me is aware the new telecast could well have nothing in common with the old one aside from the the name and the song.

Given the uncertainty of what the new NBA on NBC will be like, am I curious or intrigued enough to throw Turner and Inside the NBA overboard for it? I'm not sure I am.

I've literally never known a time when Turner didn't have the NBA, when Ernie wasn't hosting Inside the NBA. If the NBA on NBC of the 90s was the greatest NBA telecast ever peak for peak, Turner's telecast, given its longevity, is right up there. And Inside the NBA is an institution. This is the awards section of its Wiki:

As of the end of 2023, the show has won eighteen Sports Emmy Awards. Six times for the best daily show (2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014), six times for the best weekly show (2012, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022), four times for the best weekly show – limited run : playoffs (2019, 2021, 2022, 2023), one for the best decoration and art visuals (2016) and one for the best social TV experience (2019). Johnson has also won six awards as a studio host (2002, 2007, 2015, 2019, 2020, 2021) and Barkley has won four as a studio analyst (2012, 2013, 2017, 2020).

Inside was inducted into the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame in October 2016, becoming the 12th program to receive the honor and the third sports show after SportsCenter and Monday Night Football.[29] They were also honoree by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2020, becoming the first NBA telecast to win the Curt Gowdy Media Award.

And if the reports are to be believed - that WBD was willing to match NBC's 2.5B offer, but the NBA said, no it has to 2.8B - I'm just not sure why Adam Silver and the NBA are willing to so casually throw away a forty year partnership and one of the most decorated sports shows ever over what would be a small fraction of the overall money the NBA stands to make from this round of TV deals.

Ya I'm in the same boat. NBC are the ones who should be forced to outbid TNT. The fact it's the other way around is very weird.

Inside the NBA is the best sports show period. There have been so many other copycat attempts that have failed year after year and to throw a show like this away might comeback to bite the nba in the ass.

There are many times where i preferred to watch Inside the NBA over a load managed regular season game. Guessing Silver is taking a cut on the side from NBC because it makes 0 sense from the outside.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,098

Post#173 » by Shock Defeat » Tue May 14, 2024 3:18 am

Because NBC is a big over the air network and with cord cutting no one even has tnt. Nfl has games on Fox CBS NBC, NBA having two national OTA networks is a big deal.
Milenkovic
Senior
And1: 674

Post#174 » by Milenkovic » Tue May 14, 2024 4:15 am

Great, now we will have to deal with more sensationalist takes like Stephen A Smith, or any garbage like that.

Inside wasn't a serious show, but it was fantastic.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,454

Post#175 » by svart » Tue May 14, 2024 4:24 am

Shock Defeat wrote:

Because NBC is a big over the air network and with cord cutting no one even has tnt. Nfl has games on Fox CBS NBC, NBA having two national OTA networks is a big deal.

My understanding is that TNT had a window to match it and failed to do so. Only afterwards were they requested to pay 2,8B.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#176 » by WentzerWuver » Tue May 14, 2024 4:51 am

svart wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:

My understanding is that TNT had a window to match it and failed to do so. Only afterwards were they requested to pay 2,8B.
They already got their footprint on the map so there was no point to waste all that money that would be impossible to recoup.

NBC has 44x more money to spend for their network. It's in the memo!
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,389

Post#177 » by HotRocks34 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:55 am

At least something good came out of tonight after the epic Mavs choke.

I'd like to see NBC hire Chuck, and I'll miss Ernie.

Kenny, Shaq, Jamal -- good riddance. Finally.

We've had two unserious networks covering the league and that needs to stop. ESPN is a disaster and Shaq's absurd Jokic MVP interview is a good snapshot of how far ITNBA has fallen.

If NBC can bring some professionalism back, I welcome them. Who they hire will be critical.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,577

Post#178 » by Statlanta » Tue May 14, 2024 5:14 am

I’m going to miss these Neato segments. NBA on NBC is not worth axing Inside imo
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 339

Post#179 » by Hans1984 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 am

Good. They did a great job through all those years but it is time for some fresh air.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#180 » by HMFFL » Tue May 14, 2024 8:54 am

I only watch ESPN to watch games, TV muted, and to give my buddy Pat McAfee my ratings when I'm actually able too. Being in the entertainment for 26 years has allowed me to meet, so many people, and Pat is one of the most genuine people I know.

The TNT crew was one of the most genuine crews I have worked with. I gave those studios 14 years of my life. I'd hate to see them go.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Board