Can someone explain why Brunson is so good?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,037

Re: Can someone explain why Brunson is so good? 

Post#181 » by LakerLegend » Fri May 10, 2024 1:57 am

Your answer is at 33:46:

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#182 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 1:57 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
DaGawd wrote:knicks hate maybe? cause there have been plenty of dominant small players before

Yeah, it's a weird take. His numbers in the playoffs aren't sexy, aside from the volume.

He's scoring 35.6 ppg, but he's shooting a slashline of 45.7% FG / 32.1% 3P / 80.7% FT and 50.3% 2FG. In the RS, he was posting 47.9 / 40.1 / 84.7 / 51.6.

If anything, he's due for a few more big games from 3 like game 2 vs. Indiana just was. Like, he isn't really murdering it at a level better than he was doing in the RS, but he's taking a half dozen more FGA/g, so his volume is up. He is getting more of a whistle, but he's at .379, which is very, very far from egregious. Sure, of course, shooting well on 27+ FGA/g is tough, and he's doing a lot of it from 3-16 feet. But he's actually shooting worse from 10-16 and only 1.5% better from 3-10 than he was in the RS. So it's not like we're seeing crazy stuff from him in terms of finishing.

It'll be tough on him to log 42.4 mpg (around +7 mpg compared to the RS) with that increased volume over a long time. That's sort of a given. We sure aren't going to see that from him in an RS. But he's a danger to do it for the rest of the series because he's a good shooter with a strong off-the-dribble game who knows how to use screens, right? He's not doing too much differently other than using more possessions and playing more minutes. He's at 33.8 FGA100 in the playoffs versus 30.5 FGA100 in the RS, FWIW.

I feel like Philly really game-planned well in G1 and G2. Jalen eventually figured it out, but those first 2 games were extremely horrific for him...he got blocked a few times each game (which rarely ever happens...don't think any Knicks fans were used to that) and Philly is a good defensive team. I feel like he's rebounded well from G3 - G8 in the playoffs though. I also think players face better gameplans too.

The other side of it is that the rest of our team really isn't that great offensively. Randle is gone. Bogdan got hurt. We let go of RJ and Quickley a while ago for OG. We have some solid all around players, but not anyone else who could really take on the 2nd role. I believe this is where Brunson's decline in 3 percentage comes from. If I remember correctly, Julius gave Brunson lots of good 3 point shot opportunities.

Philly sold out to get the ball away from Brunson in games 1 & 2, but Hart & co. forced them to respect our shooters. From there Jalen was able to find his rhythm, but the supporting cast coming up big was what opened things up a little to get him going.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,016

Post#183 » by tsherkin » Fri May 10, 2024 1:57 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:I feel like Philly really game-planned well in G1 and G2. Jalen eventually figured it out, but those first 2 games were extremely horrific for him

It happens. He's short, he isn't hyper-athletic, there are limitations to his game. But he's smart and skilled and does have some valuable physical attributes, so he sorted it out, which is cool to watch.

The other side of it is that the rest of our team really isn't that great offensively. Randle is gone. Bogdan got hurt. We let go of RJ and Quickley a while ago for OG. We have some solid all around players, but not anyone else who could really take on the 2nd role. I believe this is where Brunson's decline in 3 percentage comes from. If I remember correctly, Julius gave Brunson lots of good 3 point shot opportunities.

Oh yeah, NYK is ravaged right now, so it's pretty clear that this is all just bonus time for the Knicks and Brunson is establishing himself. If they were healthy, they'd be far scarier.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#184 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:

can someone please post this for me or explain how to post YouTube links? thanks

You only need the part between the "/" and the "?"
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,467

Post#185 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:05 am

cgf wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:

can someone please post this for me or explain how to post YouTube links? thanks

You only need the part between the "/" and the "?"

my man thank you.. I got it now... now I just have to remember that :lol:
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#186 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Joker wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Little known fact that you may appreciate, Kobe's maternal uncle played in the NBA.

maternal side genetics is definitely overlooked. Even Lebron or Jordan's genes can't guarantee anything as far as NBA prospects go.

The Ball family is a good example. People call Lavar a genius because his kids all made it to some extent, but most importantly is they are all 6’4+, with the functional strength and athletic ability to play at the NBA level, even the one who didn’t make it. It’s not a coincidence that both parents were college athletes.

"Zach LaVine’s sister posts flirtatious TikTok for Jayson Tatum" https://nypost.com/2022/11/02/zach-lavines-sister-posts-tiktok-video-about-jayson-tatum/

Jalen Brunson and the Ball family's mothers both played volleyball in college. Wemby's mother was a top basketball player in her country. Volleyball may be the compromise being that female basketball players aren't generally well regarded in the looks department.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,236

Post#187 » by Bob Ross » Fri May 10, 2024 2:27 am

Because of the refs isn't it obvious
The KnicksFix
Starter
And1: 1,809

Post#188 » by The KnicksFix » Fri May 10, 2024 2:29 am

One_and_Done wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:He plays in the East.

bet this sounded way cooler in your head.

I mean he's a borderline top 10 type guy, but in the West the Knicks would be a 1st round out and nobody would care that much about him. Heck, he's only going to get out of the 2nd round thanks to injuries. Bucks and Sixers (and the Heat) would have smoked the Knicks if they were healthy.

Lmaoooooo well they home and we not
Pretty simple
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,918

Post#189 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 10, 2024 2:31 am

The KnicksFix wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
blueNorange wrote:bet this sounded way cooler in your head.

I mean he's a borderline top 10 type guy, but in the West the Knicks would be a 1st round out and nobody would care that much about him. Heck, he's only going to get out of the 2nd round thanks to injuries. Bucks and Sixers (and the Heat) would have smoked the Knicks if they were healthy.

Pretty simple

That's how in injuries work yeh.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,697

Post#190 » by knicksNOTslick » Fri May 10, 2024 2:35 am

One_and_Done wrote:
The KnicksFix wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:I mean he's a borderline top 10 type guy, but in the West the Knicks would be a 1st round out and nobody would care that much about him. Heck, he's only going to get out of the 2nd round thanks to injuries. Bucks and Sixers (and the Heat) would have smoked the Knicks if they were healthy.

Pretty simple

Knicks are just as injured. No excuses
The KnicksFix
Starter

Post#191 » by The KnicksFix » Fri May 10, 2024 2:35 am

One_and_Done wrote:
The KnicksFix wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:I mean he's a borderline top 10 type guy, but in the West the Knicks would be a 1st round out and nobody would care that much about him. Heck, he's only going to get out of the 2nd round thanks to injuries. Bucks and Sixers (and the Heat) would have smoked the Knicks if they were healthy.

Pretty simple

Well a third of our team is injured / out
So what’s the excuse ? That we are playing easier teams?
I thought Miami lost to Philly
Isn’t Philly therefore the tougher team?
And Butler played in that play in game as well…
The KnicksFix
Starter

Post#192 » by The KnicksFix » Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 am

One_and_Done wrote:
The KnicksFix wrote:

Pretty simple

Bro got his whole front line out due to injuries
Realgm posters be like “he playing in a weaker conference”

if the whole front line out, how did he win last night ?
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,401

Post#193 » by Phish Tank » Fri May 10, 2024 2:43 am

I'm just going to quote OP here for how ridiculous his post is:

"He doesn't look that good. I mean he's short, stocky, not particularly fast. Clearly a good shooter but his stroke doesn't look that pure. Handles look decent. Why does he not pass the eye test, but is playing like one of the best PG's in the game?"

1) He "doesn't look that good"? OK lol
2) "Short"...... tell Allen Iverson that
3) "Stocky" ..... tell Chris Paul that
4) "not particularly fast"..... yeah and when he uses his footwork to get around you, you'll realize how fast he is.
5) "stroke doesn't look that pure"..... ok lol.... his shot is still money and he spent a **** ton of time working on his shot over the past few seasons

Maybe it's that he's a resilient player who has overcome all these doubts, naysayers, and tropes for his entire life, which is what fuels him on a day to day basis.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#194 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 am

If watching Jalen Brunson dominates intrigues you, you should watch Tim Hardaway as a Heat. He had an arthritic knee and just came off an ACL during his post Warrior days in Miami. He's like an even shorter Brunson, but slightly hobbled.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#195 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 10, 2024 3:38 am

The KnicksFix wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
The KnicksFix wrote:
Pretty simple

Injuries to people who matter.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,467

Post#196 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:50 am

One_and_Done wrote:
The KnicksFix wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

Not very bright?
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,261

Post#197 » by deneem4 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:52 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:If watching Jalen Brunson dominates intrigues you, you should watch Tim Hardaway as a Heat. He had an arthritic knee and just came off an ACL during his post Warrior days in Miami. He's like an even shorter Brunson, but slightly hobbled.

You should watch rose and the bulls under thibs
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#198 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 10, 2024 4:06 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
The KnicksFix wrote:

Not very bright?

I wouldn't be that harsh on Randle, it's more he's not that good.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Post#199 » by bubonicphoniks » Fri May 10, 2024 4:10 am

Footwork, intelligence, touch, and instinct.
The KnicksFix
Starter

Post#200 » by The KnicksFix » Fri May 10, 2024 4:11 am

Phish Tank wrote:I'm just going to quote OP here for how ridiculous his post is:

"He doesn't look that good. I mean he's short, stocky, not particularly fast. Clearly a good shooter but his stroke doesn't look that pure. Handles look decent. Why does he not pass the eye test, but is playing like one of the best PG's in the game?"

1) He "doesn't look that good"? OK lol
2) "Short"...... tell Allen Iverson that
3) "Stocky" ..... tell Chris Paul that
4) "not particularly fast"..... yeah and when he uses his footwork to get around you, you'll realize how fast he is.
5) "stroke doesn't look that pure"..... ok lol.... his shot is still money and he spent a **** ton of time working on his shot over the past few seasons

Maybe it's that he's a resilient player who has overcome all these doubts, naysayers, and tropes for his entire life, which is what fuels him on a day to day basis.

GOAT post :nod: :nod:

Return to The General Board