Embiid's antics have gone too far. NBA needs to stop him.

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,628

Re: Embiid's antics have gone too far. NBA needs to stop him. 

Post#21 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:52 pm

Seeing AD/Embid shoot 20+ free throws in a single game this week has been disgusting. Refs bailing these teams out hard.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,407

Post#22 » by Frank Dux » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:58 pm

Goes down recklessly, takes out his teammate's knee, and doesn't even stay to check on him. What a teammate.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#23 » by Pointgod » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:59 pm

Welp looks like he stopped himself

Read on Twitter
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,152

Post#24 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:03 pm

its a skill, theyve changed rules and he just keeps adjusting. mathurin came in and gets calls. lou williams got calls, butler does most of the same. theres tons of guys getting a lot of calls, its just that joel is also the biggest guy and a big time trash talker, and plays to the crowd. everyone is in the gym practicing drawing fouls, joel is the best at it.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,729

Post#25 » by JayMKE » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:07 pm

Embiid is the worst with his incessant flopping and dirty play, NBA should nerf him like they did Harden with the foul baiting and his glass jaw will take care of itself.
FREE GIANNIS
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,681

Post#26 » by Jkam31 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:thats a pretty bad title phrasing. Its not Embiid problem, its NBA problem.

Between this and the traveling, palming, and KO defense nba has become unwatchable for me I used to watch 4-5 games a week I’m down to 1 during football season
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,305

Post#27 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:24 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Seeing AD/Embid shoot 20+ free throws in a single game this week has been disgusting. Refs bailing these teams out hard.

It's just not fun to watch foul merchants like Embiid. At the same though, for some reason refs really gift Embiid calls and I'm not sure why. It's clear as day in some of these that Embiid is not fouled, yet the whistle is blown.

- Guys who are known floppers need to lose the benefit of the doubt. If you are refereeing Embiid or Lowry and they fall, assume it is a flop.

- Offensive players (including Giannis) need to stop being able to initiate contact and get foul calls. Tired of seeing an offensive player jump into or lead with elbows to make contact and get a foul. It's not fun to watch and defense being allowed is more fun.

The thing is even casual fans actually enjoy some defense. When players drive to the basket and fouls aren't constantly called, casual fans enjoy this more than the FT parade. Last season at the start it was nice to see foul merchants not get paid off, now it feels like we're back to the lowest level of FT grifting.

Endless ticky tack whistles are bad for the game. Let defenders play some defense!
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,909

Post#28 » by lobosloboslobos » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:36 pm

I have seen a lot of Embiid flopping pathetically and also a lot of truly bogus and biased reffing in the NBA but the video OP shared is truly the most brutal example of NBA being a joke of a sports league that I have ever seen. my god some of those calls were unbelievable...
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#29 » by Jimmy Recard » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:39 pm

I don’t even think it’s always flopping. Dude is such a clumsy oaf he’s tripping over his own feet half the time.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,091

Post#30 » by chilluminati » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:42 pm

I blame Anderson Varejao.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,432

Post#31 » by DaddyCool19 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:48 pm

I think the NBA will interfere and not allow excessive falling anymore, once he takes out an All Star on the opposite team for a couple months.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,284

Post#32 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:53 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:This thread be like...

You're upset with the rules. And should be targeting them as such.

But the rub is that those "rules" are not the same for everyone.

Granted, we'd be having the same discussions about rules only for certain star players during other eras, too. But we're in the here-and-now, and it most definitely seems like Joel Embiid is one of the very few players officiated so favorably on offense.

On a basketball forum, it's going to be a topic because it has an impact on nearly every game that Embiid and a couple of other stars play.

To be fair we've been having the same discussion about Harden for the past what 8 years before he slowed down too much to properly throw himself into defenders.

Some players entire game is based off nothing but flopping offensively really. Usually you don't get to the star level that way but every once in awhile we got one or two who do with the new rules.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,741

Post#33 » by ropjhk » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:56 pm

The NBA has never gotten serious about flopping and predictably it's gotten worse over the years. The NBA encourages flopping.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,970

Post#34 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:00 am

Embiid's combination of size and flopping makes him one of the most embarrassing and dangerous players in the NBA.
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,683

Post#35 » by alevirfe » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:07 am

his game is predicated on drawing fouls as a 7'0 280lb giant

awful to watch, I would hate to have to cheer for & publicly defend him
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 39,301

Post#36 » by PierceFan4ever » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:17 am

These are the calls embiid doesn’t get in the playoffs and then everyone has a shocked pikachu face when the Sixers get bounced in round 2 or earlier
cam24thomas
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#37 » by cam24thomas » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:23 am

Embiid is the biggest problem because his body is gigantic so its like IF Shaq had flopped, very dangerous for everybody.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,675

Post#38 » by nomansland » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:28 am

ropjhk wrote:The NBA has never gotten serious about flopping and predictably it's gotten worse over the years. The NBA encourages flopping.

This is really the issue. As un-fun and frustrating as it is to watch, I can't really blame the players who exploit loopholes in the rules to their advantage. And if I were a fan of the floppers' teams I probably wouldn't be complaining too much because it contributes to wins.

This is on the NBA, not the players.
cam24thomas
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#39 » by cam24thomas » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:34 am

Adam Silver is obsessed with making the NBA as high-scoring as possible.
He should be obsessed with something else - making the game as entertaining as possible.
And how do you make a game more entertaining?
Reduce the number of stoppages and reduce the number of free-throws.
Because there is nothing more boring than a stoppage and a free-throw.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,094

Post#40 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:38 am

I mean I do kinda think Embiid is a genius for how he's constructed his foul drawing game. He's creates a ton of contact with his aggressive style of play, but he's also extremely reactive to contact so if you do anything funny, he's ready to embellish that. He's got all the head snaps (refs are suckers for head snaps) and on top of all of that, he falls down on half his drives after he tries to initiate contact so if he the refs have any doubts, there whistles are very sensitive to a giant human falling on the ground. He's the total foul drawing package and he does stuff we've never seen before.

But I am usually rooting against Embiid so yeah I am so mad when I watch him. Guy will elbow people in the face and he'll be the one at the line. Also when the foul baiting isn't working for any stretch of time, he's sooooo sulky, like who took away this baby's foul line toy, he needs that foul line or he's going to cry! DO something for the sweet l'il guy. Embiid's a cartoon bad guy in this league and he makes he act like an emotional fan lol.

What I don't seem to understand is why refs seem to ignore player tendency. Like they should know that Embiid falls and it doesn't always mean contact. They should know to focus on the Embiid's defender to see if there's illegally initiated content, because focusing on Embiid will result in you blowing the whistle for his tricks.

Embiid draws a ton of fouls because he's too big and too talented and extremely physical and smart. He deserves to draw a lot of those fouls, especially against undisciplined defenders. But I would like the refs to be wiser to his antics because there are also a LOT of antics.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast

Return to The General Board